This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping- it's in tents!

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Just going through some items I purchased at antique malls on the way home from the last road trip. With some of the items i found for historical re enacting I realized that camping season is nigh upon us. I know that for myself it means canvas tents, and wood fires, with plenty of furs being worn, etc. But I was wondering who all else was planning out there outdoor adventures already?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » May 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Getting the plans for the first camp soon. Granted, it will only be a "one nighter" with some youngsters, and their fathers from Church. But getting out, and seeing stars, and nothing but the noises of the wild ( after the little ones have dozed off ) to keep you company is all one needs.
Hopefully the weather holds, and I need not test the cold weather capabilities of canvas as my wood stove is not yet ready.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 24, 2018 11:43 am

How did that camp go, Puddleglum? (What a difference a few weeks make, between cold weather and the heat of summer).

I often camp on Memorial and Labor Day weekends with a group of friends, but for various reasons it didn't work out this year. I have to admit I'm not too bothered by that, given the heat that will bake Minnesota this upcoming weekend. Sitting by a fire in 95F/36C weather is no fun (not to mention trying to sleep in a tent when the heat remains all night).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » May 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Sadly, the "camp out" turned into a "sleep in" ,in the cabin.
The youngsters did remakably well. The activities included some sort of treasure hunt that was new to me. During the day I, with help from a father, and Grandfather, had them making leather pouches. No punctured digits were reported. #:-s
The heat will be a definit factors, if it persists.
One interesting thing I found was to seek out any one with a Teepee. Believe it or not, a fellow at one Rendezvous showed me his on a steamy day how a well pitched Teepee will actually be cooler by 10 or 15 degrees F.
As for me. I am looking forward to the first official Rendezvous of the season, the Mille Lacs festival near Isle will be the first at it's new location at the DeCorsa Vinyard & Farm Winery. The only drawback may be finding level ground as it looks pretty hilly.
A pond is nearby as well which bodes not well for the possibility of mosquitoes :-o
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Preparing for a little trip, (not so far from home this time) and a little historical re enacting again.
The weather is looking glum,( more on that on the other thread) but I am determined to plod on, and make the must of it, be it soggy, muggy, or suprise us with a bit of sunshine.
Slowly gathering all the needed gear, and thus far only missing a few items that seem to have discovered the game of "hide, and seek." Most likely I have walked past them multiple times while searching, and will find them in plain sight when something else is the object of a quest.
It is August as of Midnight my good Narnians. We should not let this time pass without some time spent out, and about. Go forth! Journey #:-s ! Get Lost, :-o :-\ and have fun getting back. :D Then boast of your exploits to all who will hear! ;) ;) :ymapplause:
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Back from my excursions into the hot, and humid world. #:-s
I found out what I was missing in my kit. My canoe, and paddles!!!! X(
More on the weather on the other thread, but it was a wet one.
Otherwise it was a fair time with friends, but the public turnout was expectedly low.
Mosquitos were not too troublesome, though a few chiggers got past my defenses.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 08, 2018 9:25 pm

I have camping trips planned for the next two weekends, both to fairly close locations. One trip is with some local NarniaWebbers and the other is an annual trip I make with a group of friends. This weekend looks hot and humid but at least the chances for rain are fairly low.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Those two camping trips are in the books now. Both were quite fun and had similar weather (rather hot, humid, no rain, but with lots of smoke in the air). The mosquitoes were present but not oppressive. At night, the moon was a dull yellow or orange color, and even bright objects like Mars and Jupiter were faint thanks to the thick smoky haze.
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Aug 21, 2018 6:43 am

Had a good camping trip over the weekend. We tried some new things, both menu ideas and how to set up camp. Part of my enjoyment of camping is coming up with new ways to do things. Now if I could just figure out how to get a decent night's sleep while camping. . .
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 05, 2018 6:39 pm

A sound sleep is one of he elusive, yet commonly sought goals of the camper Grandmama. Be it the pesky mosquito that made it into the tent, the humidity, cold, or the middle of the night urge to check to see if the outhouse door works ;) Or that tent next door with the snorer, or child that just has to have a tantrum at 1am :((
Speaking of trying new things. Though I have had wild game before this last weekend was a first. We had muskrat, and beaver tale. ( Do not worry. I am assured that no speaking beasts were consumed #:-s )
We also were able to set up a shooting course for air rifle as this was private property. golf balls are a very challenging target, even when the wind is not blowing.
One more rendezvous yet in the season. The Wapati Historical Rendezvous will be at the Nowthen Threshing Grounds near Elk River in a week, and a half. Looking forward to it.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Sep 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Last rendezvous of the reason for this old Marsh-wiggle.
Even with the heat, and humidity it was well attended, and people still had a good amount of fun. There was a slight change of local as the field usually used had been chewed up by heavy equipment, but all agreed that the new spot was much better due to the shade B-)
The only drawback really was the hike for those interested in shooting sports. About a half mile. So there was little participation there.
Forsome reason flies were a constant as well. Getting into everything. Someone suggested hanging a fresh cut birch branch in the tent awning drives them away. I will have to remember to try that next year.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SSBN_Dawn_Treader » Sep 28, 2018 8:48 am

I had a couple "nights out" with friends... the "fun thing" being that it was in the context of historical reenacting. Mosquitoes and sleeping on the cold ground are always unwelcome, but when you have to keep all lights blacked out and that your camping gear is from the latest 1943 standard, you'll see that nothing compares to the mosquito storm you'll bring in your enclosed tent while sleeping more or less directly on the ground, since tents back then don't have any ground sheet or yoga mat!

It sure makes the trip much harder, but it's still a great experience to have... and it gives you some extra respect to the ones who did that for a much longer time while endangering their lives every day.

... but don't worry, I still enjoy regular camping more, as much as I love history, I'm glad to have light during the night and to have mosquito repellents!
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Oct 07, 2018 7:57 pm

As much as I like camping and the outdoors, your experience might be a little too much for me these days, SSBN_Dawn_Treader.

October usually brings at least a fall color tour day trip for me, and if lucky, an overnight camping trip, but the next several days are expected to be extremely rainy with localized flooding possible. The leaves are changing fast and the peak may pass before the storms do.

On the other hand, leaves out of the trees allow for a better view of the night sky for one of my favorite things, sitting around the fire and stargazing. So I hope to get away from the city at least once more before too much snow flies.
stargazer

Postby artsky » Nov 01, 2018 7:31 am

This year we were camping on the Lake Tahoe with my family. The place we've chosen is situated on the western side of the lake and the landscape there is just gorgeous! It was one of the brightest weeks of my life. The only disadvantage is a big amount of mosquitoes there. Those bloodsuckers are just everywhere. Here are some tips on how to protect yourself from those insects. It will come in handy for those who often go camping to the woods.
artsky
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Ryadian » Mar 27, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm probably a bit premature, but it's really only a couple months until prime camping season around here, so my mind has, of course, turned to camping. ;)) My family and some of our friends has had a yearly camping tradition for as long as I can remember. We tend to do car camping, especially since several members of our friend group have young children, and doing any kind of more hard-core camping probably wouldn't work so well for them. (Admittedly, I also like the level we're at - I think using a trailer loses some of the experience, but I also like not having to hike to the campsite carrying my equipment. ;) )

We have a usual campground, but this year we decided to switch it up. We're looking at a few different MN state parks to choose from, and I'm looking forward to it. I like our usual campground, but I also like the idea of seeing someplace new. Of course, I suppose I could always go camping twice. Oh, the sacrifice. ;)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Grandmama » Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Ryadian wrote:I'm probably a bit premature, but it's really only a couple months until prime camping season around here, so my mind has, of course, turned to camping. ;))

It's never to early to think about camping. Anticipation is part of the fun. ;;)
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext