Camping- it's in tents!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Camping- it's in tents!

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Just going through some items I purchased at antique malls on the way home from the last road trip. With some of the items i found for historical re enacting I realized that camping season is nigh upon us. I know that for myself it means canvas tents, and wood fires, with plenty of furs being worn, etc. But I was wondering who all else was planning out there outdoor adventures already?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » May 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Getting the plans for the first camp soon. Granted, it will only be a "one nighter" with some youngsters, and their fathers from Church. But getting out, and seeing stars, and nothing but the noises of the wild ( after the little ones have dozed off ) to keep you company is all one needs.
Hopefully the weather holds, and I need not test the cold weather capabilities of canvas as my wood stove is not yet ready.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 24, 2018 11:43 am

How did that camp go, Puddleglum? (What a difference a few weeks make, between cold weather and the heat of summer).

I often camp on Memorial and Labor Day weekends with a group of friends, but for various reasons it didn't work out this year. I have to admit I'm not too bothered by that, given the heat that will bake Minnesota this upcoming weekend. Sitting by a fire in 95F/36C weather is no fun (not to mention trying to sleep in a tent when the heat remains all night).
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » May 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Sadly, the "camp out" turned into a "sleep in" ,in the cabin.
The youngsters did remakably well. The activities included some sort of treasure hunt that was new to me. During the day I, with help from a father, and Grandfather, had them making leather pouches. No punctured digits were reported. #:-s
The heat will be a definit factors, if it persists.
One interesting thing I found was to seek out any one with a Teepee. Believe it or not, a fellow at one Rendezvous showed me his on a steamy day how a well pitched Teepee will actually be cooler by 10 or 15 degrees F.
As for me. I am looking forward to the first official Rendezvous of the season, the Mille Lacs festival near Isle will be the first at it's new location at the DeCorsa Vinyard & Farm Winery. The only drawback may be finding level ground as it looks pretty hilly.
A pond is nearby as well which bodes not well for the possibility of mosquitoes :-o
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Jul 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Preparing for a little trip, (not so far from home this time) and a little historical re enacting again.
The weather is looking glum,( more on that on the other thread) but I am determined to plod on, and make the must of it, be it soggy, muggy, or suprise us with a bit of sunshine.
Slowly gathering all the needed gear, and thus far only missing a few items that seem to have discovered the game of "hide, and seek." Most likely I have walked past them multiple times while searching, and will find them in plain sight when something else is the object of a quest.
It is August as of Midnight my good Narnians. We should not let this time pass without some time spent out, and about. Go forth! Journey #:-s ! Get Lost, :-o :-\ and have fun getting back. :D Then boast of your exploits to all who will hear! ;) ;) :ymapplause:
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Back from my excursions into the hot, and humid world. #:-s
I found out what I was missing in my kit. My canoe, and paddles!!!! X(
More on the weather on the other thread, but it was a wet one.
Otherwise it was a fair time with friends, but the public turnout was expectedly low.
Mosquitos were not too troublesome, though a few chiggers got past my defenses.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Aug 08, 2018 9:25 pm

I have camping trips planned for the next two weekends, both to fairly close locations. One trip is with some local NarniaWebbers and the other is an annual trip I make with a group of friends. This weekend looks hot and humid but at least the chances for rain are fairly low.

stargazer

Postby stargazer » Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Those two camping trips are in the books now. Both were quite fun and had similar weather (rather hot, humid, no rain, but with lots of smoke in the air). The mosquitoes were present but not oppressive. At night, the moon was a dull yellow or orange color, and even bright objects like Mars and Jupiter were faint thanks to the thick smoky haze.

stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Aug 21, 2018 6:43 am

Had a good camping trip over the weekend. We tried some new things, both menu ideas and how to set up camp. Part of my enjoyment of camping is coming up with new ways to do things. Now if I could just figure out how to get a decent night's sleep while camping. . .
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous