The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 30, 2018 5:42 pm

My sister and I really enjoyed the first season of The Big Valley, I wish the DVDs for season 2-4 were better quality since I would like to add them to my collection as well. My sister has taken to occasionally calling me Nick since I have similar temperament and some of the same character traits (like yelling for siblings if that's actually considered a character trait).

WCTH fans, don't watch the last two episodes of season five! They killed Mountie Jack. :(( I read all of the spoilers and I am so not going to watch them and possibly future episodes as well since they (Hallmark, the producers, etc.) have completely changed the show, they handled Daniel Lissing (who plays Jack Thornton) leaving the show very poorly. Unfortunately the ratings didn't go down for the season finale and so I think Hallmark thinks the fans will be fine with changes in the show. *insert Mr. Knightley telling Emma "badly done indeed".*

I have about had it with newer shows, they always disappoint. So my sister and I watching The Six Million Dollar Man (currently nearing the end of season 2) and having fun. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 8:20 am

SnowAngel, I'm thinking of watching The Six Million Dollar Man! Let me know what you think of it :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ramagut » May 07, 2018 7:11 pm

SnowAngel wrote:WCTH fans, don't watch the last two episodes of season five! They killed Mountie Jack. :(( I read all of the spoilers and I am so not going to watch them and possibly future episodes as well since they (Hallmark, the producers, etc.) have completely changed the show, they handled Daniel Lissing (who plays Jack Thornton) leaving the show very poorly. Unfortunately the ratings didn't go down for the season finale and so I think Hallmark thinks the fans will be fine with changes in the show. *insert Mr. Knightley telling Emma "badly done indeed".*
SnowAngel

What??? I had not heard about that!!
They changed the show completely from the original Janette Oke books, which is my favorite series of hers.
So, was the actor planning on leaving the show before they killed him off?
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby Kalta79 » May 08, 2018 7:33 am

Janette Oke? I've read one of her books, was hard to get used to the first person narrative but it was a nice book. I have never understood why when people think a book is good enough to turn into a show/movie they have to change almost everything but the title and the character's names. Did I already complain about this? I've done it so many times...was talking at the church potluck two Sundays ago about how there seems to be a lack of originality in Hollywood lately. I've seen previews for WCTH, but I thought it was a TV movie...it's an actual series? But it turns out not that great?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » May 09, 2018 4:39 pm

I've watched the new Netflix version of Lost in Space. Generally, I enjoyed it quite a bit. As some on social media have commented, it's a lot like LOST, and since I liked much of the storytelling style of that show I guess it makes sense I'd enjoy this as well. There are some problems with the show but they weren't so overwhelming that I would stop watching.

I vaguely remember watching the original series back in the day, though most of it I saw much more recently in syndication. I can't help wondering if the new version of Dr. Smith is more like what the original writers had mind for Jonathan Harris' character (before he became a buffoon).
"The eclipse will melt your spine!'

- Overheard in a telephone pictionary game, August 2017
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Valiant_Nymph wrote:SnowAngel, I'm thinking of watching The Six Million Dollar Man! Let me know what you think of it :)
It's a fun show. My sister and I have moved onto the third season, I think it might be my favorite season. I have seen the seasons 1-4 already, my sister is watching them for the first time. I like it so much I bought the whole series and The Bionic Woman for my dvd collection that is quickly outgrowing the space I have. :D

ramagut wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:WCTH fans, don't watch the last two episodes of season five! They killed Mountie Jack. :(( I read all of the spoilers and I am so not going to watch them and possibly future episodes as well since they (Hallmark, the producers, etc.) have completely changed the show, they handled Daniel Lissing (who plays Jack Thornton) leaving the show very poorly. Unfortunately the ratings didn't go down for the season finale and so I think Hallmark thinks the fans will be fine with changes in the show. *insert Mr. Knightley telling Emma "badly done indeed".*
SnowAngel

What??? I had not heard about that!!
They changed the show completely from the original Janette Oke books, which is my favorite series of hers.
So, was the actor planning on leaving the show before they killed him off?
The actor had a contact through the fifth season, but decided over a year before season 5 aired that he wanted to leave the show. And knowing that makes the end of season 5 that much worse. Hallmark had time to come up with a better end for Mountie Jack than what they did and to prepare the fans.

The show is extremely loosely inspired by the books, basically only Elizabeth Thatcher's name and occupation are the same as the books.

Yes, Kalta79, When Calls The Heart is a Hallmark show that just finished its fifth season and has been renewed for a sixth season.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 10, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks, SnowAngel! That is good to know. :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Kalta79 » May 21, 2018 11:20 am

Mom might like WTCH, will see if I can find it online for her. Does anyone here watch Midsomer Murders?
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Kaita79, I used to watch it a few years ago, but not recently. (Not because I didn't like it, but I just stopped watching when I didn't have access to a TV for awhile). I liked it at the time :)
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I currently trying to decide if I want to watch the new season of Chesapeake Shores every week or wait until the end of the season and watch it in just a couple of days. I don't trust the Hallmark Channel at all after what they did to WCTH.

I was watching Honey West (1965-1966) with my younger sister, but we only got halfway through before I had to return it to the library due to someone else having placed a hold on it. I placed a hold on it, so we should get to finish it within a couple weeks. We enjoyed the first half of the show.

Has anyone seen The Crown? My library has the first season and I was thinking about watching it.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Previous