This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Fall shows have started premiering again and I'm curious what shows you all are/have been looking forward to returning or starting off? :)

I know Doctor Who has started back recently, but I haven't been able to see it yet. Has anyone seen it and, if so, what do you all think of Peter Capaldi as the Twelth Doctor? :)

I have a mental list of shows to watch/catch up on, but I've been so busy that the only one I've caught so far has been Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. It was good, but I wasn't really prepared; I think this is one of the first times that I've seen a season premiere more nerve-wracking/devastating than the previous season's finale. :P ;)) If anyone else caught it, what'd you think and do you have any theories/answers about...well, anything? ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby shastastwin » Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm

We are looking forward to Once Upon a Time and Resurrection returning tomorrow night. Legend of Korra comes back for the last Book next Saturday. We don't get Fox, but I want to watch 3 or 4 of their new/returning shows (Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, Gracepoint), so we'll be watching those via the Fox website. We'll be watching Doctor Who and SHIELD later on once my parents get me the recordings. I'm also going to try NBC's Constantine once it comes back.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby stargazer » Sep 28, 2014 10:04 am

So many new shows to watch, when I should be outside enjoying fall. I'm looking forward to:

-Once Upon a Time (hoping it's not just a story arc to cash in on the popularity of Frozen)
-NCIS and NCIS: LA (I'm not so sure about the newest spinoff, NCIS New Orleans. I'll probably give it a few episodes to find its feet)
-Agents of SHIELD (I admit that I didn't see much of last season, but dived into this season's premiere anyway. Between the promotional ads and having seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I had a general idea of what was going on. Admittedly, Valia, doing it this way probably lessened the impact of the episode)
-Doctor Who (I think it'll take time to get used to Peter Capaldi as Twelve, just as it has with past changes in the Doctor. One thing that annoyed me more was in the first episode: Clara has seen and interacted with all the regenerations of the Doctor, yet has a crisis (and is even thinking of leaving) because he looks different than Matt Smith now? That doesn't seem fair to her character.)
-The Legend of Korra (I'm about halfway through season 3 and am impressed with how much better it is now. I'm avoiding the spoilers in this thread and hope to catch up on it soon).
-Gotham (I've heard a lot of good things about the premiere and hope to catch it on demand soon)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Princess Frances » Oct 02, 2014 10:23 am

Anyone remember the original Twilight Zone series?

My favourite episode of TZ is "Living Doll" with the creepy talking doll "Talky Tina".
Princess Frances

Postby stargazer » Oct 06, 2014 12:09 pm

I remember the old Twilight Zone, Princess Frances! I was a little kid when it first aired, so my parents didn't let me watch too much of it. ;))
(One I do remember from childhood is "The Midnight Sun," with the earth getting closer and closer to the sun).

But it's been syndicated and broadcast a lot since then (except for the season 4 hour-long episodes, which are more difficult to find), so I have managed to see them all. (A friend also acquired the DVDs of the complete series, so I could see the few I'd missed).

There are quite a few good episodes. The time period in which it was made (the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis filled the news) is reflected in a number of episodes which address the threat of nuclear war directly or indirectly, but many of the episodes illustrate the human condition in general terms and are still watchable today.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Princess Frances » Nov 11, 2014 12:48 am

How about this 1930s child star?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QWPi8MtaQk

Darla Hood singing “I’m In The Mood For Love” from Our Gang/The Little Rascals. The only thing wrong here is the little boy in black face.
This song and sway of the limbs make perhaps the most amazing performance I have seen from a child, and what an incredibly heartbreaking voice she has at - what, five years old? six years old? Take me away, Darla. You are the saddest, most beautiful little girl on film.
Princess Frances

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Did anyone catch "The Toy Story that Time Forgot"?
Without trying to remember how to do the spoiler covering thingy, ( which I always forget soon after someone explains anyway ), I was just wondering if anyone else caught the inadvertant Christian message?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Elfiea » Feb 22, 2015 3:49 pm

The only shows I'm really currently following are NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, and Parks and Recreation. (But I've been watching a lot of past shows and Netflix. :) )

Parks and Recreation has been so great this season! Take all of the best things from past seasons and put them together in a blender and it would be this season. The animal shelter guys are back! They are the best and currently living in the basement of City Hall. And Leslie and Ben's kids! And treat yo self day! And Tom and Lucy! I always thought he and Lucy shouldn't have broken up.

On Netflix I'm currently watching 30 Rock and finding it pretty awesome. I love the way the show is edited, especially the flashbacks.

I've also been trying to catch up on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.. I'm about two-thirds of the way through the first season and it's definitely starting to pick up!
Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 24, 2015 8:59 pm

My brother, sister, and I have been watching Agent Carter together. We didn't really like the way the recent episode turned out. But hopefully the finale tonight will be good. :)

My sister and I are super excited about season 2 of When Calls The Heart in just over a month. We've been re-watching the first season.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Elfiea » Feb 25, 2015 10:56 am

I watched the series finale of Parks and Rec last night! While there definitely weren't as many laughs as usual, I think it needed to be more subdued for the tone of the episode. Also, Ann and Chris! And what happened to Jean-Ralphio five years in the future. :D And April and Andy's baby! Overall, it was amazing and had some much-needed closure. :) But it's over now. :((
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Feb 25, 2015 10:15 pm

I also watch the NCIS shows you mentioned, Elfiea. Have you tried the newest spinoff, set in New Orleans? I've been watching it but don't enjoy it quite as much as the other 2. Maybe it just needs some time to find its direction.

It also comes between NCIS and Person of Interest, another show I like. I think the last few episodes have been pretty good, as they're focusing more on the original premise of the show rather than the Samaritan plot line (though that story line does make sense; once the idea of the Machine gets out, it's hard to get that genie back in the bottle).

Once Upon a Time returns this weekend after its winter break. This half of the season will focus on several classic Disney villains (Maleficent, Ursula, and Cruella deVille).

I still need to catch up on Agent Carter and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
stargazer

Postby Elfiea » Mar 17, 2015 10:44 am

stargazer, I watched the New Orleans one for the first few episodes, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the other two. I'm not really sure why, but it could be that I just don't like the characters as much. It's difficult for me to get into a show if I don't like the characters.

I finished 30 Rock and it was amazing! It's so weird and always running off on another rabbit-trail. And the ending was absolutely perfect.

Since finishing that, I started watching New Girl. I don't think it's my favorite of the last few comedies I've been watching, but it's definitely a good show.
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 18, 2015 6:09 am

I recently finished watching bother series of broadchurch. The first season final episode was very emotional. So be prepared if you are planning on watching it.

As for comedies I recently watched Grandmas house( created and starring simon Amstel)- It is a very awkward comedy.

I have also watched friday night dinner. It is a comedy about a Jewish family(parents and two sons in their 20's) who have a weekly dinner on friday night. The strangest stuff happens. In one episode they had to hid a dead fox from the mother and they and up breaking a car window in the end (don't want to give too much away in case someone actually wants to watch it).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 11, 2015 4:58 pm

It's finally two weeks until the return of When Calls The Heart after the season premiere got pushed back by three weeks! /:) :) This season we have a DVR, finally going to have a TV show besides Vikings on it. ;) (I don't watch Vikings, that's big brother's favorite show.)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby parableproductions » Apr 22, 2015 4:53 pm

It's been a very long time since I was on the boards. But, I was wondering if anyone has watched "Daredevil" on Netflix. It does tie in a little with the other projects in the Marvel franchise - but not so much that if you haven't seen any of them you will really notice.

I watched all 13 episodes in one day (days off are nice now and then). And I loved it! I really loved all of the aspects of faith that they brought in without it feeling like you were being hit over the head with it.
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Apr 29, 2015 6:33 am

Hi parableproductions. :) Good to see you again.

I have not seen Daredevil, but I know a lot of my friends have, including my sister. She said that it's really good, but REALLY violent (so I won't be seeing it). She said she felt it belonged in the DC universe instead of Marvel though, so I don't know what to think of that. I know it's a Netflix series, but does it fit in with The Flash and Arrow? I assume not, but I thought I'd ask.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

PreviousNext