This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 11, 2009 8:57 pm

Some interesting runway trends...I like #4, the others are a wee bit scary for normal wear.

So...would you wear any of these during the work/school week? ;))
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Oct 12, 2009 10:39 am

Oh, interesting Lady A!

Hm...well, I do use pink eyeshadow frequently and liberally already. :p I also have colored eyeliner (blue, purple). And I occasionly do "statement" lips. The only one of those trends I woudln't try is the "glowing face", because I find it hard to get the glowing-ness without the greasiness. :(

Speaking of oily skin, I bought Smashbox's Photo Finish Light Foundation Primer. It's AMAZING! I put some on before going out for the evening. I made it through an hour's car ride, an hour's shopping, and what was probably over an hour at dinner and my face STILL didn't feel oily! Usually inbetween each of those events I'd be in the washroom franticly splashing water on my face to get rid of the shine, but this works wonders. :D I highly reccomend it. It is rather pricey but I think it's worth it.

I recently got a sample size of this product: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.j ... yId=C20702
The review makes it sound as though it's a peel, you know, that peels off, but it's not. And it really is amazing! My skin feels soooo incredibly soft and perfect after using it.

On the other page (I think?) I mentioned I got a set of sample mascaras. The best ones of the bunch would be thus:

DuWop mascara: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.j ... goryId=B70
Korres mascara: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.j ... goryId=B70
Tarte mascara: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.j ... goryId=B70

I just love them. :D I was wondering if a more expensive product could really do a better job them something drugstore, and it does. They just really plump out your lashes, define them, and make them look longer/thicker!

When I bought a new eyelash curler the other day I got a sample size of a eyeshadow primer by Smashbox. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly, but so far I'm not too thrilled. :|
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Oct 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Hmm, nice trends, Lady Arwen. I really like the pale pink lips and glowing face. I'll have to see if I can achieve either. ;) I usually go with lip balm or a light gloss anyway, so if I can just borrow Mom's bronzer.... The statement lips are NOT me - I look awfully pouty in anything darker than a medium rose. :p Val, do you have any tips on the bright pink eyeshadow?
Lady4Aslan wrote: I love long hair though!!!!!! My hair is at my waist and I love coming up with new hair style. If I see a picture I can normally figure out how to do it! Long hair is so much FUN!!!!

*sighs enviously* Oh, I wish my hair was that long again, Lady4Aslan! My sisters and I cut our hair for Wigs4Kids last summer and mine is just now getting to mid-back length. Short hair is only fun for a little while. :p What is your favorite style (or two) for your long hair? I like a softy, poufy bun (sort of a subdued version of the Gibson Girl style) or a twist like Susan's in PC better than any other long hairstyle.

~Scarlet
Av by Wunderkind_Lucy & Sig by flambeau
President of the Come What May Club - PM me to join!
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aslansothername » Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm

OK, I have the problem of oily skin. So, have you girls ever noticed when you put eye shadow on in the morning and ware it all day that about mid day some of it is gone, or it has collected at your creases? Well, I found a way to fix that!!! :D Use a liquid base on our eye lids and under your eye before you put your shadow or liner on. Trust me it works!!! I use a special base for eyes, but any liquid base would work. Let me know if it works for you !!!!! ;;)
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Hathaway Standalone » Oct 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Any good brands eyeliner base? I saw an eyeliner primer at Sephora the other day.

Correction: I use Tazorac. Active ingredient: Tazarotene(sp?), at 0.05%.
This is your start/This is your heart/This is the place you were born
This is your sun/These are your lungs/This is the place you were born
And I am always, always, always/Yours

Av>flambeau
Hathaway Standalone
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aslansothername » Oct 16, 2009 5:32 am

What I use I got from Macy's. I have no idea if they still sell it. But if you find a liquid base that is for eye blemishes that will work great as well.
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PrincessRosario » Oct 16, 2009 8:03 am

What do you mean by liquid base? Because I have that problem, and it's sooo annoying. My eyeshadow vanishes into oily creases in about an hour. :P
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and along the way, lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
PrincessRosario
Moderator Emeritus
The Wanderer

Postby PELS » Oct 16, 2009 9:09 am

I use liquid base, but my eyeshadow doesn't vanish. ;)) Maybe it depends on what kind of base you use.

I have a question, maybe a bit dumb, but here it is anyway, do y'all think eyebrows can get too skinny? Yesterday I tweezed my eyebrows, and afterward my mother said one of them was so skinny it dissapeared (not really, but you know). How many of you like thin (in my case; very thin) eyebrows? ;;)
Avvy by Kate

"Argue against God & you argue against the power that makes you able to argue at all." -C.S. Lewis
PELS
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 16, 2009 9:38 am

I'm not a big fan of skinny eyebrows. I think some people can have them and it can look nice but I don't think I would like that on me.

For my makeup, I normally see a look in a magazine or in a video and think "I want to duplicate that." I frequently wear make up like Demi Lovato wore in one of her music videos.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aslansothername » Oct 16, 2009 11:23 am

PrincessRosario,

Base is the same as foundation. They sell powder foundation, or liquid foundation. (I don't use it liquid on my face because it clogs up my pores to much.) But if you put liquid base, or special eye base on your eyelids it will help. ;)

PELS,
It depends on the shape of you eye if you have the right size of eye brows. I would suggest finding a sight that showed you the different types of eye shapes, find yours, and find the best way to pluck your eyebrows. ;;)
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Arwen » Oct 24, 2009 6:09 pm

PELS, I'd say keep your eyebrow thicker. The problem with getting it too thin, is then you need to substitute more with a pencil, and can lead to an eyebrow that is more pencil than eyebrow, which, IMHO, looks overdone.

On the other hand, I don't know what your mom's definition of "disappear" is. Perhaps you might want to talk to a friend who's eyebrows you admire, and see what they think?
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Hathaway Standalone » Oct 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Right now my eyebrows are rockin' the au naturale look. ;) I really need to trim them, but my left is not the same shape as my right, and I really want it to fill out so I can reshape it. [/random]

What exactly does serum do for your skin? Rejuvenate? Restore? I'm clueless but I've been using some at night because it came free with my face wash. :D *loves free things* I get tons of clogged pores, so I stopped using my liquid foundation all the time to try to prevent them...thanks for the tip, aslansothername. :D

I am really thinking about a short short haircut, like Victoria Beckham or Natalie Portman's old 'do. The problem: I know I would hate it, but I can't help but want it. Last year I only got a long bob, and I regretted it shortly thereafter.
This is your start/This is your heart/This is the place you were born
This is your sun/These are your lungs/This is the place you were born
And I am always, always, always/Yours

Av>flambeau
Hathaway Standalone
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby H Tide » Oct 31, 2009 12:08 pm

For those who have trouble with their eyeshadow creasing, there are eye primers out there, that will keep your eyeshadow from creasing and fading. Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion are some popular eyeshadow primers, although they are a bit pricey ($17-18 US). I got a sample of Too Faced Shadow Insurance from Sephora, and it works pretty well...keeps my eyeshadow from creasing for around 8 hours.

Has anyone here looked at the makeup tutorials on YouTube? I found them extremely helpful when I got into eye makeup, as I had no idea how to apply it, and it looked a bit off whenever I tried to apply it (I'm Asian, so I have small eyes a very small double lid). Anyways, the makeup tutorials on YouTube taught me a lot about eyeshadow application, and now they're good inspiration if I'm in a playful mood and want to experiment with brighter colors.
H Tide
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Oct 31, 2009 12:42 pm

H Tide, I've got a sample of Smashbox's eyeshadow primer. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. It defiently keeps the shadow on longer, but it doesn't look quite as good as when I don't use it, if that makes any sense.

Re: eyebrows. I think the easiest way to deal with them is professionaly. I get mine waxed regularly at a salon and I like how they look. I pluck them in between visits but it's soo much easier this way. It's not expensive, either, and it really doesn't hurt all that much. Try it! :p :D
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 01, 2009 11:50 am

Eyebrows: the only thing about my face I got lucky with! Seriously, they're defined and dark already, all I have to do is pluck a stray hair or two every couple of days. :)

What's your makeup routine? I'll describe mine.

1. Acnewash. Usually a brand that's "comparable" to Neutrogena's. I don't get outbreaks very often thanks to this.

2. Eyeshadow. Something light pink or yellow, brushed my lid where eyeliner normally would be. My lashes are short, and providing a light background for them helps the mto stand out.

3. Mascara. Black/brown.

4. Covergirl peach pink blush on the cheekbones.

5. Lipgloss! Any brand or color, I'm not picky.

That's it. :)
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Nov 01, 2009 12:05 pm

My makeup routine varies depending on my mood. This is what I did this morning:

Today:

1. Eyelash curler (Shu Uemura)

2. Black eyeliner (Bonnebell). I just put it right practicly in amongst my eyelashes, not on my eyelid at all.

3. Black liquid eyeliner (L'Oreal), winged out.

4. Mascara (Tarte)

5. Blush (DuWop)

6. Face primer (Smashbox)

7. Vaseline and lip gloss (Bright pink, L'Oreal).

Some days I'll skip the liquid eyeliner and use a dark green or navy eyeshadow as eyeliner. Other times I'll just use eyeshadow, all over my lid, in a variety of colors (pink, dark green, purple, dark blue, dark brown).
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

PreviousNext