This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 14, 2011 8:15 am

Sorry, no, it was 5 or 6 years ago. :p I remember the dye being purple though, which was slightly... non-comforting. ;) *laugh*
I guess the labels on the bottles should tell you-- sorry I can't be more specific! :)
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby Valiant_Lucy » May 01, 2012 5:04 pm

wow, reviving this thread from the depths of the forum ;))

For the past several years I've been dying my hair every 4-6 months, some sort of reddish shade (At home). I think it's finally rebelling. :P I did it end of March, and then feeling bored I picked up some more dye (the brand Ice Cream, which I think is a lot kinder on the hair then other more popular brands of hair color) and re-did it the other day. Well, it's red alright, but it's also orange. And kind of blondish-red. The back is a totaly different color then the front, a sort of gentle gradiant of color. My roommate told me that if she saw me on the street she'd assume it was intentional, but as it was she was like "hmm maybe laura's just trying out a new look?"...but yeah.

In other "makeup/hair" news...I'm currently studying electroylsis, which is interesting. It's a form of permament hair removal that involves inserting a tiny needle into the hair follicle and zapping it with electricity. Bringing friends to class to practise on is encouraged, so I'm slowly working my way through my friend group. Not surprisingly, it's not a super popular pasttime so I think I'm gonna run outta friends soon... :p
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby IloveFauns » May 02, 2012 12:48 am

i thought i had escaped chemistry for the day but i say not. On that topic i remember using shampoos to see if more acidic or basic ones work better on hair.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Gymfan15 » May 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Valiant_Lucy wrote:wow, reviving this thread from the depths of the forum ;))

For the past several years I've been dying my hair every 4-6 months, some sort of reddish shade (At home). I think it's finally rebelling. :P I did it end of March, and then feeling bored I picked up some more dye (the brand Ice Cream, which I think is a lot kinder on the hair then other more popular brands of hair color) and re-did it the other day. Well, it's red alright, but it's also orange. And kind of blondish-red. The back is a totaly different color then the front, a sort of gentle gradiant of color. My roommate told me that if she saw me on the street she'd assume it was intentional, but as it was she was like "hmm maybe laura's just trying out a new look?"...but yeah.

Sounds like you need to give your hair a rest. :) Maybe go cold turkey for a little bit, and then try something like henna for while? Damaged hair will never "heal"; the only thing you can do is control it as best you can until undamaged hair grows in. :( My hair gets so frizzy as is and I don't put a thing on it except shampoo, conditioner and shine serum; I don't even use heat on it more than a few times a year. I can't imagine what my hair would do if I decided to dye it, lol. I'd have straw in a heartbeat.

ETA: I realize that my "advice" is probably not all that helpful since you're in beauty school after all and probably know all of this already. ;) Anyway, here's wishing you happy, healthy hair days in the future!
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Lady Arwen » May 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Okay, time for my summer hair wildness. Last year, I feathered my hair, and I have been casting about a bit to see what I'm going to do this year. Val's color adventure reminded me. Besides considering dying the tips blue or silver, the only other idea that really stood out to me and sounded fun and easy to manage (and could be undone before I needed to look professional again!) is doing my hair in cornrows. ;)) So, that is what this little girl shall be doing in about six or seven weeks (I have some friends getting married, so I want to wait until all their weddings are done).

Unless someone else has an amazingly awesome idea that strikes my fancy. ;)

Val wrote:In other "makeup/hair" news...I'm currently studying electroylsis, which is interesting. It's a form of permament hair removal that involves inserting a tiny needle into the hair follicle and zapping it with electricity. Bringing friends to class to practise on is encouraged, so I'm slowly working my way through my friend group. Not surprisingly, it's not a super popular pasttime so I think I'm gonna run outta friends soon...

Ooo, pick me! Pick me! I've been wanting to get that or something similar done (shaving highly irritates my skin), but haven't been able to because of the prices. ;))
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby Ithilwen » May 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Is there good eye makeup for people like me who can never remember not to rub their eyes and touch their face when they're wearing it? :P

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lady Arwen » May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

The best kind to get is one that smears easily. Then wear it all the time and you'll start remembering not to rub your eyes. ;)

Other than that, you'd have to go with a high-quality, expensive waterproof brand, like MAC.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby MoonlightDancer » May 28, 2012 11:56 am

So I got bored the other day and did my makeup:

Then today I decided to do it differently:
Here I did all over gold lipliner, a sheer dusting of bronze blush with a hint of rose, lower gold eyeliner and silver on top, sun kissed lower eyeshadow blended with light white on top. Then an all over dusting of shimmer. The difference is this time I did not use foundation. Plus I have a natural sunburn.

I tend to do my make up based on the color tones I'm wearing. I keep it as natural as I can when wearing white, but if I'm wearing solid colors I'll do more heavy.

on an unrelated note, don't ever try to cut your own bangs. I tried, and it looked awful.
Forever a proud Belieber

Live life with the ultimate joy and freedom.
MoonlightDancer
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Location: I'll be up in the stars, I'll be anywhere you are...

Postby Lady Arwen » Jul 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Have any of you gotten a keratin treatment on your hair, or know someone who did? How did it work out, and what are your thoughts on it? Trying to figure out if I want to spring for a treatment or not....
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby MountainFireflower » Aug 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Lady Arwen wrote:Besides considering dying the tips blue or silver,

*excited gasp* That sounds incredibly awesome. You should do it sometime! ;)) It would look great, especially with darker hair, and it definitely fits the mermod vibe you've got going on. ;)) The silver idea is especially awesome. I've never thought of doing something like that before. I don't know if it would fit my hair color, though, or if I'd ever get up the nerve to do it. :p But it sounds like it would look amazing.

Are you still planning to get cornrows? :D
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 31, 2012 2:25 pm

A couple weeks ago I got this eye shadow off Etsy as a late birthday present: Soft Violet. I have only worn a couple of times, I like to pair it with a medium brown. I think it looks pretty good with my blue eyes.

This is one I really want get. I love that the color! ;)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Lady Arwen » Aug 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Mountie wrote:Are you still planning to get cornrows?

Three days before I was going to get them done, my dad came to me and very nicely asked that I not. Since it isn't usual for him to ask me to not do things, I figured that he actually really didn't like the idea, so I didn't do it. I'm a good child that way. :P (Or, alternatively, I have parents that put up with a ton of stuff. ;)) ) Instead, I was considering getting a weave, but then I was off being professional again. :/ I might still do something this fall, but it would have to be something like just the end of my hair (so I could put it up and hide it), since I can't get a full color done right now. Dunno. I'll have to see how my finances go in september. :P
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 24, 2013 3:28 am

Here is my new hair colour. I like to wear pale make up. I don't like it when people where foundation that is much too dark for their skin tone.

IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby De_De » Mar 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Heeeeey wow ILF, I love your red hair :D And the red lips look awesome :D.
After I passed my exams in Decenmber I wanted to do something radical, so I decided to dye my hair with hena, as it is good for your hair plus it colors it. Well, the effect was less than desirable, apperantly I held it for too little time, and my hair color did change, but not as much as I wanted. :ymsigh:
I totally agree with you about pale make-up and foundation that is too dark. I really love natural looking make-up. The kind that you can hardly see is there. But then maybe that's just 'cause my older sis brainwashed me :p. Personally me, I don't wear make-up at all. It's such a hasle to get it to look nice and even (plus, I'm not really the patient type), and I usually don't have time. But sometimes on special ocasions my sis will do my make-up, and, what can I say, she does an excellent job :D
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 28, 2013 5:04 pm

Indeed i wear glasses so i don't wear eye make up. I have acne scars so i use foundation to cover them. Also what is hena exactly? I know it as a character from zelda ha.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslanisthebest » Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Henna/Mendhi is a plant from the Middle East and India. (In fact, when my mom was growing up, her yard was full of the plant) It is very fragrant and has a rich color that is used as a dye when crushed. The dye is either used for hair or made into a paste to make henna tattoos. (it is that color when applied, but when it dries and is washed off, it is a light brown/deep red) My parents usually do it for my sister and me on special occasions. :)
You have to be careful, though, when buying henna. If it is the traditional, red type from India/the Middle East, then it is safe. However, cheaper types (both dye and paste) have an added black dye that is known to cause allergic reactions.

De_De, my sister tried dying her hair with henna once, too, but it didn't really have much effect. Most of it came out when she washed the dye out... :p
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext