This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Mar_girl, thank you for posting those links for the eyeshadow application. I've been looking to branch out a bit with my eye makeup and these look to be the perfect inspiration. B-)

~Scarlet
Av by Wunderkind_Lucy & Sig by flambeau
President of the Come What May Club - PM me to join!
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby cuppycakesrach » Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Valiant_Lucy wrote:

Also on de-frizzing hair...if you have anything made of pure silk ( like a scarf), tie it around your hair. It will flatten your hair out, make it shinier, and generally reduce the frizz. You only have to do this for even just two minutes. It is AMAZING. I read it in a magazine, and tried it, VERY skeptical. But it seriously works. :D

Hmm I don't think I understand what you mean about putting a scarf in your hair?like tie it in a knot or what?
" We have nothing if not belief"
cuppycakesrach
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 20, 2009 12:49 pm

wow. silk ? you would think that silk would make it even more frizzy. Very interesting... must remember that.

I wear makeup, but not alot. mascara, eyeliner, a light blush and a touchup stick thingie. I used to wear eyeshadow, but i have problems with my eyes, specifically, dry eye, and it only irritated it. So then, I tried that liquid eyeshadow, the non-powder kind, and it helped, but, it seemed to crease really bad. Maybe it was just the brand... ? Anyone know any good non-powder eyeshadow that doesnt crease? :P

My hair is long, at the shoulder blades. i usually straighten it, or scrunch it. lol
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 20, 2009 1:47 pm

cuppycakesrach wrote:Hmm I don't think I understand what you mean about putting a scarf in your hair?like tie it in a knot or what?

Sorry, I mean to tie it over top, like a kerchif (spl?). :)
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby mar_girl » Sep 20, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm glad I was able to help, Scarlet! :)

Ooh, a silk kerchief tied over one's hair. Bad hair day solved, decreases frizz, AND one looks all Audrey Hepburnish. Win. :-bd lol
Sig by lysander
Queen of Literary Linkage
Aslan: the Chuck Norris of Narnia.
mar_girl
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wisewoman » Sep 21, 2009 6:28 am

I haven't had any luck with tube eyeshadows, Eru. Mine all creased too. Maybe try putting it on very lightly? I don't wear eyeshadow much, to be honest. Just a little bit of brown shadow occasionally when I want to be really dressy.

I got my hair cut the other day... shorter than it's ever been. It's a couple inches off my shoulders, and I can barely put it in a ponytail! I think I like it, though. It looks so full and thick, and the waviness is now more pronouncedly curly. Maybe I'll post a picture later.
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 21, 2009 6:51 am

Mara wrote:AND one looks all Audrey Hepburnish

Well, I don't know about that. Sadly, everyone who sees me in mine says I look like an old Russian grandmother. :-\

Oh, ww, do post a pic! It's even shorter then what you had last spring?

Hm...I find all eyeshadow creases to some extent, Eru. I really like Benefit's Creaseless Cream eyeshadows though. They're pretty decent. You can buy them off sephora.com. :)

EDIT:

Quick question. I know you're supposed to pitch mascara after about 3 months or so (altough I usually manage to drag it out to at least 6 months), but what if it's never been opened? Not sure if there is a really obvious answer and I'm really dense or what. :p
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Destined-To-Reign » Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am

Oh yes, you should post a picture, ww! I'm glad you can still fit it in a pony tail, even if barely. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't. I think I might die. :P My shortest layers just bareeely fit in a pony tail after my last haircut. :)
It might be fun if everyone posted pictures of their hair. We could just do it from the back, so you couldn't see our faces? :)

I really don't wear much (most of the time none . . .) makeup, though I think I'd like to get some more now that I'm working. Early mornings aren't my greatest time, and winter as a season certainly isn't . . . ;)) I do have some mascara which really helps I think, but I asked my mom a week or so back if I could get some more makeup, and I really haven't had a definite answer . . . ;)
I think you all know that I like Burt's Bees lip products . . . I just used up my Watermelon Lip Shimmer, and decided I wanted to try something else, so I got "Super Shiny Lip Gloss" in Sweet Pink, and I'm really liking it. :D It applies very nicely, and suits my complexion. It doesn't go on real dark, but I'm fine with that, because my lips are already fairly dark, and I just want to get them to smooth/shine a bit. :)

I'm still liking my hair after my recentest hair cut (a couple months ago, now), though I like it some days better than others. ;)) I like the fact that I can still french braid it, tuck the braid up under, and it still looks as long as it was before. ;)
Destined-To-Reign
Moderator Emeritus

Postby malkah » Sep 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello everyone! :)

I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone ever tried a wet-hair straightener? My hair is extremely thin and curls wildly in the back from the moment I step out of the shower. It's almost impossible to blow dry straight, so the straightener sounds very appealing.

Also, I just started wearing eye makeup, and while I still want to keep it natural-looking for the most part, I'd like to branch out a bit. I have green-gray-bluish eyes; what colors would highlight without being too noticeable?

Destined, I love Burt's Bees lip products too! I have the Super Shiny Lip Gloss in both Sweet Pink and Nectar Nude, and they're both great! How dark does the Watermelon Lip Shimmer show up as?
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby Erucenindë » Sep 21, 2009 3:24 pm

malkah, maybe it's just my luck, but I've found that wet-hair straighteners just don't really work... They always do much better dry. Since blow-drying makes my hair really poofy, I always just let it air dry, or sleep on it, then straighten it. Whenever i straighten it wet, for me it doesn't really straighten very well. :/

Thanks everyone for the advice... maybe i just better stick to no shadow. :|

oh and also, malkah, for mascara, if you want to keep it more natural looking, I suggest going for a brownish-black or more brown... that way, not being black, it doesn't stand out as much. And if you like eye-liner, a nice small thin line or blue or green would really bring your eyes out. :) That's all i know though... lol. I'm pretty plain when it comes to makeup, black is all i do. :P
My Graphics Site
Council of Elrond - Best LOTR forum
Aliit ori'shya tal'din. ~ Mandolorian Proverb
Auta i lóme; Aurë entuluva. ~ Quenya
Erucenindë
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 21, 2009 4:24 pm

Eruc wrote:maybe i just better stick to no shadow. :|

No, no! I'm sure you can find something, don't give up! :ymhug: :p Unfortunatly it usually does happen that the more expensive the eyeshadow is, the better it works. Which isn't so great for your wallet, but still..

I haven't heard anything great about wet hair straightners, Malkah. I'm actually thinking of buying a rather expensive one off Sephora. IT's marketed as a "wet or dry" straightner, but all the reviews say it doesn't work wet.

My hair is allllmost ready to go into a pony tail. It's sort of multi layered (unfortunatly) so the front pieces are shorter. It's going to be a while yet though.

DTR, if you want a quick "wake-me-up" makeover I'd suggest:

eyeliner (subtle)
mascara
eyelash curler
blush

Just that can do wonders, yet it doesn't even have to look like you're wearing any, if that makes sense. :p B-)

Malkah wrote:I'd like to branch out a bit. I have green-gray-bluish eyes; what colors would highlight without being too noticeable?

I think you'd be surprised at how versitile eye shadow/eye colors can be. Just cause you have blue eyes doesn't mean you HAVE to wear a certain shade, and CAN'T wear others. I have grey/blue eyes and I've found nearly all colors look good, except for "beige" shades, and most greens. If I were you I'd try purple, dark dark brown, and maybe a dark grey. Maybe this doesn't really make sense, but I find darker colors look better in eyeshadows. Lighter colors sort of get lost on you. :p
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby wisewoman » Sep 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Ok, here's a pic from yesterday: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =692966195

I curled the ends up, slightly straightening the rest of it. Usually it's messier/curlier than this.

I think the main concern with old mascara is bacteria — so if it hasn't been opened, you should be fine.

Ooh, malkah, I don't recommend trying to straighten your hair while it's wet. The heat from the straightener actually causes the water to boil while it's in your hair — and this is pretty much catastrophic to the hair follicle! Hair should always be perfectly dry before it is straightened.
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 21, 2009 6:17 pm

*takes a deep breath and enters* Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for a while, although actually I don't wear any makeup, at all. So I have seen no reason to enter this lovely thread until now. However, I do have hair. It used to be past my shoulder blades until my mom cut it shorter- it's now an inch or two above my shoulders, and was cut in a very blunt bob. I have had no regrets whatsoever about losing the length, it's nice to have shorter hair.

That being said-

ww: I like your new hair cut! :) It's very pretty! :)

*exits*
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 21, 2009 6:24 pm

ww, you look so...professional, in that picture! It's a bit scary, actually. :p But in a good way. Your hair is lovely. :D
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby wisewoman » Sep 21, 2009 6:26 pm

Oh good, it was meant to be professional (for my editing website). I didn't have any other pics yet, sorry :ymblushing: . Don't mean to scare anyone ;)). Thanks FF and Val! :)
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Queen Susan » Sep 21, 2009 7:14 pm

Very nice, Amy! And Val was right-- it does look professional. ;))
I saw the changed profile pic on facebook and thought: "Ooh! Haircut!" :p
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

PreviousNext