Books: 2nd Edition

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: johobbit, stargazer

Re: Books: 2nd Edition

Postby Meltintalle » Feb 09, 2019 8:10 am

It's funny you mention Beyond the Desert Gate and Beorn the Proud--I picked them both up at a booksale last summer and haven't read them yet. :ymblushing: ;))
Visit the Silver Chair Reading Group!
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Cleander » Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Glad to see so much mention of Allen French here- he's possibly my favorite author of all time (OK,OK, besides C.S. Lewis). Has anyone read some of his non-fiction historical narratives about the American Revolution? He wrote a detailed account of the siege of Boston that's a great read for any history lover (He actually goes all the way back to the 1600's for a few chapters just to explain how Boston got to be the way it was just before the war).
Another fiction book of his I like is the Tale of Sir Marrok, set in Arthurian times. It features some interesting mythical elements, including an animal that sounds suspiciously like the White Stag...
" Return and sit with me in my ravings..."
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
Cleander
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Y'all have been busy in this thread since my last post. :D

narnianerd, if you're interested in Christian fiction try Mike Dellosso's Jed Patrick series (like the Bourne movies, but way better 'cause they're books), Ronie Kendig's The Tox Files (military/action/adventure, I actually recommend all of Ronie Kendig's books), or Mike Nappa's Coffey & Hill series (terrific suspense series, Annabel Lee has a couple of gory spots so it's not for everyone).

Those are really good lists, fantasia. Nice for reference, I am definitely going to look through the Gospel Coalition list for ideas for the younger siblings' library reading lists.

Well, since coracle recommends reading The Princess And Curdie, I will keep it on my TBR list.

I second fantasia's recommendation of N.D. Wilson's 100 Cupboards, although I prefer Ashtown Burials to 100 Cupboards. I just recently got a hardcover copy of The Dragon's Tooth. :D

Cleander, my sister read the King Raven trilogy several years, she loved them. I was busy reading the same WWII nonfiction as my older brother so I did not read the series.

I finished Thunder Voice by Sigmund Brouwer and thus my rereading of Sam Keaton: Legends of Laramie is complete. I am so happy I decided to borrow them from my brother without his permission, I would have been very disappointed if I hadn't. I have been trying to decide what my favorite western series is and I have not been successful, I narrowed it down to The Legend of Stuart Brannon series by Stephen Bly, The Austin-Stoner Files by Stephen Bly, or Legends of Laramie by Sigmund Brouwer.

This past week I listened Captain Blood on Hoopla, such fun.

I'm nearly finished reading Them by Ben Sasse, it's just not the kind of book I can read in large chunks. Of course it might help if I would read some of the book every day instead of every couple days.

I'm planning to start Kill Devil by Mike Dellosso today for my next fiction read, it's the second book in the Jed Patrick series. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
NarniaWeb Guru
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby coracle » Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am

I might mention that The Princess and Curdie is a bit different from the other one, slightly weird in fact. But I liked its moralistic quality.
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Cleander » Feb 10, 2019 7:50 pm

I'd agree, certain parts of the Princess and Curdie are indeed weird. The whole thing with people being reincarnated as animals may have come out of George MacDonald's Christian-Universalist philosophies, I think. But the rest of the symbolism is pretty good. It has that quality of "shocking us more fully awake than we are for most of our lives" that C.S. Lewis prized in legends and fairy tales.
And it's medieval-themed, so I love that! :D
" Return and sit with me in my ravings..."
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
Cleander
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Feb 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Way behind (imagine that) but I FINALLY finished up Ready Player One last night. It was pretty good, but I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. I mean, I'm a child of the 80s and so the 80s are near and dear to my heart ;)) but somehow it felt a little TOO forced.

Things I liked....
The overall story was intriguing and being a former gamer addict myself, I totally get the full on submersion into a game at the expense of real life. That was spot on.
I liked the quest storyline, that was fun.
I liked the bad guys. And by "like" I mean they were proper scary bad guys.
I liked the twist at the end with the main character hacking into the system by becoming an indentured employee.
Unlike most of you all here I liked the way it ended.

Things I didn't like....
There was a serious lack of the mental health repercussions of continual online gaming. Mental illnesses in particular were never touched on. But at least they did talk about the social side of things.
As is often the case, there's years and years of nobody figuring out the first clue and then BOOM, solved. At least they had a few months in there, but still. It moved too fast imho. And of course only the four main characters figured out the clues. 8-| The only story that's ever been able to get away with this type of story arch is Harry Potter. (For me that is)
I hate to say this but romance and shipping in books is really starting to get on my nerves and under my skin. It adds nothing to the plot and it annoys the ever living daylights out of me. Stop it!

Anyways, glad I read it, but it wasn't something that I was blown away by. I was definitely hoping for more. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Previous