This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: 2nd Edition

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Books: 2nd Edition

Postby Elanor » Apr 05, 2011 7:41 am

Ithie - What Dickens have you read? My favorite's are Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Dombey and Son, and Our Mutual friend. But I love them all! :D
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Elanor wrote:Ithie - What Dickens have you read? My favorite's are Tale of Two Cities, David Copperfield, Dombey and Son, and Our Mutual friend. But I love them all! :D

I've read Hard Times and A Christmas Carol. I've also read a tiny bit of Great Expectations. I really liked A Christmas Carol (of course ;) ), and I liked Hard Times as well but the transitions between subplots wasn't done as smoothly as it perhaps should have been. ;))

I was trying to decide among reading Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, Little Dorrit, The Pickwick Papers, and Bleak House...

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby puddleglum32 » Apr 05, 2011 7:51 pm

My favorite books include: The Hobbit, LOTR, Narnia, Ted DekKers series about the books of history,The Homelanders by Andrew Klaven, and Echos from Edge by Bryan Davis. :D :D

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 06, 2011 12:01 am

puddleglum32 wrote:My favorite books include: The Hobbit, LOTR, Narnia, Ted DekKers series about the books of history,The Homelanders by Andrew Klaven, and Echos from Edge by Bryan Davis. :D :D

I love The Hobbit, LOTR, and Narnia! (As most of you have probably guessed by now ;;) ) I've never read anything by Ted Dekker, but he seems to be pretty famous. What sort of stuff does he do, and why is he so popular?

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 06, 2011 12:39 am

Ted Dekker's popular because he's a great storyteller and his fans recommend his books so readily - never underestimate the power of word of mouth. He writes in many different genres (suspense/thriller, fantasy, sci-fi, general fiction, horror and romance) but most of his works fall into the suspense/thriller and fantasy/sci-fi genres. Ted's works explore the nature of sin, suffering and redemption and the power of God's love in thought-provoking and sometimes controversial ways.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 06, 2011 1:00 am

I see. :) I might give him a try some time. Which one of his works would you most recommend I read? (I can probably get most of them at my library. They have a pretty big Christian fiction section) :D

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 06, 2011 3:03 am

Hmm... There are many great titles. Maybe begin with Thr3e (a suspense/thriller) and The Circle books (Black, Red, White, Green - these are sci-fi/fantasy/adventure novels).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Elanor » Apr 06, 2011 7:44 am

Ithilwen wrote:I was trying to decide among reading Great Expectations, A Tale of Two Cities, Little Dorrit, The Pickwick Papers, and Bleak House...

Oh dear - that's a really hard choice. Let me see . . I would recommend either Little Dorrit or A Tale of Two cities. Bleak House is really super good, but it's a bit more boring, and I think you should read other Dickens first. :) Tell me what you decide on!
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Apr 06, 2011 7:49 am

I fail to understand how something can be both "really super good" and "more boring" than 'Little Dorrit' or 'A Tale of Two Cities'. Can't say I'm a fan of Dickens. He's too wordy and long-winded. A Christmas Carol is very good though.

Currently I'm reading Stephen King's 'Under the Dome'.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Elanor » Apr 06, 2011 7:54 am

haha - I'm the sort of person who can get through long boring books, and really enjoy them. But Bleak House was the first Dickens I ever tried to read, and since I was very young, and not knowing what I was getting into, I was really bored with the first 100 or so pages. So I set it down for years, but when I picked it up again, after reading a lot of other Dickens, I loved it.
You do have to acquire a taste for that sort of book, which is why I recommended that Ithie read some of the more interesting one's first. :)
I've heard that from a lot of people, and it does take some work to read him, but less than Dumas and Tolstoy, and they are stunning. :) But it is all a matter of taste. I know some people who find LoTR too hard to read.
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 06, 2011 8:43 am

I adored Bleak House. Since I wasn't already familiar with the basic plot and events I could enjoy the unfolding both of the prose and the plot at the same time. I wouldn't call it boring, but I might describe it as slow-paced. :) Dickens takes his time and does lavish layers of atmosphere, unlike Tolstoy who focuses a bit more on the characters than the overall feeling of his novel.

Elanor, what would you suggest as the next Dickens for someone who has read Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield and Bleak House? I've considered both Our Mutual Friend and Little Dorrit but never had a good reason to pick one over the other and I don't think I could handle both at once. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Elanor » Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am

I feel honored to have you ask me. :) Let me see . . just between those two, or among any of them? If the latter, I would recommend Dombey and Son - it's very interesting and sweet and one of my favorites. I'm not sure what to say to the two you mentioned - they're both equally good, if my memory of them is correct, but I think that Our Mutual Friend was a little more interesting, and that I personally preferred it. :) Tell me what you decide to do!!
(goes and orders Little Dorrit so she can re-read it)
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 06, 2011 12:53 pm

new 39 Clues series coming in August!
http://www.the39clues.com/part2
first book is by Gordon Korman! yes! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Tarkheena » Apr 06, 2011 5:06 pm

Ithilwen wrote:I see. :) I might give him a try some time. Which one of his works would you most recommend I read? (I can probably get most of them at my library. They have a pretty big Christian fiction section) :D

As Warrior 4 Jesus said, Thr3e is great. I never read the Circle books, but I've heard good things about them. My personal Dekker favorite is Blink of an Eye (which used to be titled Blink). It's a sci-fi/thriller type book, and it's fantastic: a runaway Muslim princess, a super-smart guy who gets glimpses of the future, assasins, CIA, romance . . . like I said, it's fantastic. :D

I just finished the Mallorean by David Eddings. I love his work. Anyone got suggestions for which of his series I ought to start on next? :)
avvie & sig by me

Team Hoodie!!!
Hoot Owl Of NarniaWeb
Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby puddleglum32 » Apr 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Start on the Circle series! They are awesome!

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Thenin » Apr 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Ithilwen: May I add my opinion regarding Ted Dekker's books? If your looking to try him out, start with Blink or Thr3e. If your looking for a long read try The Circle Series, Be warned: if you read the Circle series you're going to want to read the The Lost Books,Saint,Sinner,Showdown,etc because the characters keep popping up and the books are all connected in some way.

Overall, I highly recommend Ted Dekker. And, if you like him, try Frank Peretti.
Thenin
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext