This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: 2nd Edition

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Books: 2nd Edition

Postby Pyxis » Sep 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus, Un Lun Dun is about a girl and her friend who have to save an alternate (sort of Wonderland-like) London from this thing called the Smog; however, things don't work out quite as planned. It's a really good book, though it starts out a bit cliche.
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Books 2nd Edition

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Sep 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Adeona wrote:So. I just finished reading The King of Attolia. That took me all of two and half days and now I'm wishing I'd slowed down and spread things out a little bit!

What a lovely coincidence! I just finished reading The King of Attolia this afternoon! Ah, what a marvelous book.

Does anyone get the feeling, after they've read an Attolia book, that they have missed myriads of important details even though they've absorbed the story? I always feel like that with this MWT books. It's a good thing,though. I feel like I might be seeing new things every time I read it. :)

First off, I LOVE GEN! He's just SO great. I hate it when the story of anyone ends when they get married, and the adventure and romance of Gen and Irene just keep going! I think the reason is that it's their electric characters and interesting plotlines that propel the story along. Sheesh, how I love it! I can't shut up about it, not even kidding!

Interesting thoughts, Adeona! I felt like the plot of the story revolved around Gen and his working to gain the trust of his people/being about to do things in secret by acting like an immature idiot.

I can't exactly say I'm certain about this, but I felt like he did not just want to come out and act all cool and Gen-like because the Attolians would feel like this obnoxious Eddisian was coming in and stealing their country, acting all cool about it. It was almost as though they felt more comfortable with Gen as an idiot, and they would only like him for his great qualities (and be unbiased) if he revealed himself long after he was acting like an idiot. Maybe it's because they would get tired of the idioticness?

I felt that the climax was when Gen's hand was forced by Costis and he began to show his awesome swordfighting skills. Then the people of the guard (including their captain, who had formerly disliked Gen) began to see Gen and have respect for him-- first as a warrior, second as an intelligent man, as he had a good reason why the guard had to be cut down by half.

Now I'm curious about Sophos, and yes, I did get ACoK from the library. I've heard it's about him! Eep, I'm excited! :D
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Adeona » Sep 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Sweeet, I completely agree with you about missing details! Many times I would read a sentence and feel like I just wasn't "Getting" something...
Because I can't get ACoK quite yet (which is good as well as bad; now I won't finish the series so quickly!) I'm rereading KoA right now. Sure enough, there's tons of little things I'm understanding better now.

I agree that the main plot is focused on Gen working towards becoming a true king. And not just becoming king in the eyes of the people, but accepting that his is king. But I maintain my earlier opinion about the plot pacing. I'll see if it changes any once I finish my re-read.

I think your explanation as to why he wouldn't "Come out and act Gen-like" (Great expression! :D ) is a right on. Nice job putting it into words! :ymapplause:
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Orious » Sep 13, 2010 8:12 am

I was just thinking how much I missed the bookish talk with the bookish people. Here I am. :)

Since it seems that we're on the subject of the Queen's Thief: I'm not a huge fan of the series but I am a huge fan of the assasination scene in The King of Attolia because it is so funny, thrilling, romantic, etc. I love it so much.
Gen definitely has a very interesting side to him in KoA, he is the king and he has full authority over them (well, the Queen backs him up). But I agree with whoever said his willingness to be pushed around was because of his unwillingness and fear of being their king.
I can follow the books up until the ending scene of KoA and following, those parts confuse me somewhat, I admit. I guess a few reread are in order!

At the moment I am reading Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. One of my guy friends is a big T. Pratchett fan and owns nearly all his books, my friend found out that I had read some of his books and liked them and he has been loaning me choice morsels ever since. Anyways. I am having a bit of a hard time getting into this book but it has just recently (yesterday-ish) started to really come together for me. I'm beginning to really get curious about the ending and feel for the characters. Vimes has just beginning to be a fav. character, and I'm wondering about and waiting for the little swamp dragon to have the moment of glory that I assume is coming for him. I will probably be finished with Guards! Guards! very soon.
Afterwards I have Men at arms all ready and waiting.

Un Lun Dun does sound really typical and uncreative but I may just have to try it for it's name and cover. Yet another thing added to the unending to-read.
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Pyxis said Un Lun Dun began in a cliche manner, not that it was typical and uncreative as a whole. At least it's not another Tolkienesque fantasy (cough The Inheritance Cycle cough).
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lady Haleth » Sep 14, 2010 6:52 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Pyxis said Un Lun Dun began in a cliche manner, not that it was typical and uncreative as a whole. At least it's not another Tolkienesque fantasy (cough The Inheritance Cycle cough).

I know. I can't stand that.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Orious » Sep 14, 2010 7:59 am

W4J, how many books are about 1-4 children who discover a world in distress and have to save it? I say typical for that reason. I've heard from other people who've read it that it is just a young person's Neverwhere--therefore, uncreative.
Me? I've never read Un Lun Dun so I can't say if it is good or bad, I can say what it sounds like it would be and what I've heard other people say. Phyxis says that it ends up being good and, who knows, if I read it I might agree.
At the moment, I'm thinking I would probably find it typical and uncreative but because of it's interesting title and cover I have put it on my to-read.
KrisTwin: Follower - Sibs AWH&Fauni - SirenSis - PotatoHead

"There are no boring subjects, only disinterested minds."

AV by ForeverFan
Orious
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 14, 2010 1:03 pm

oh. my. word. I just finished reading The 39 Clues: Into The Gauntlet (book 10) and it was AWESOME! :D I was sobbing at the end the whole time when Isabel is threatening everyone and when she shows everyone the people she will kill if they don't give her what she wants ! that book was amazing! now I have to go back and re-read the whole series in order all over again! :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby joy93 » Sep 15, 2010 10:17 am

Hey you guys should check out these GREAT books written by Wendy Alec. She is the co-founder of GodTv. Here is a link to the site!!http://www.chroniclesofbrothers.com/Home/
They are a seven book series (just like Narnia), the third book was just realesed this past April :)
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Just glanced through the site a little.The narration in the trailer is terrible. "Soaring pyramidical mound"? Who talks like that? Plus the whole Lucifer/Michael/Gabriel brotherly warfare thing sounds a little too much like Supernatural for my liking.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Narnia Girl » Sep 16, 2010 5:43 am

Anyone read books by Bryan Davis before? He's written lots of fantasy books for pre-teens and young adults, and he's one of my favorite authors ever! He's coming out with a new book later this month called Masters and Slayers. You can read about it at this link to the website: http://mastersandslayers.com/ I'm really excited about it coming out! I know it's going to be really good.
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby joy93 » Sep 16, 2010 10:15 am

Bookwyrm wrote:Just glanced through the site a little.The narration in the trailer is terrible. "Soaring pyramidical mound"? Who talks like that? Plus the whole Lucifer/Michael/Gabriel brotherly warfare thing sounds a little too much like Supernatural for my liking.

Sorry you had such a bad first impression :( The narration is low budget, that is probably why it was not that great. Also i have watched Supernatural and these books are nothing like it. :-o
joy93
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm

I've read excerpts of those books Joy, they look interesting. Bookwyrm, yes, the narration of the trailer isn't good but the books are better written (although the author does get a bit wordy). Also, Supernatural was hardly the first story to have Lucifer/Michael and Gabriel in brotherly warfare. But I understand what you're saying. Maybe the series isn't for you.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 16, 2010 9:21 pm

I'll freely admit that I'm biased against pretty much all Christian fiction these days. That said, I actually did go ahead and read the free download chapters. To go with the purple prose, the author has also chosen to showcase absurd and offensive conspiracy theories, which really turned me off on the series.

Yes, I'm fully aware that Supernatural is not the first to play up the Lucifer/Gabriel/Michael angst-fest. But not only does this book series have that plot theme, it also has the Lucifer-rebelled-because-he-doesn't-like-humans thing going on. That isn't Biblical at all and I had never even heard that idea suggested until Supernatural did it, so I'm calling shenanigans. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. But I can agree the series isn't for me. ;))

Anway, I'm currently reading Cold Comfort Farm and greatly enjoying it. I'm not familiar with the type of literature it parodies, but it does somewhat remind me of Wuthering Heights.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby shastastwin » Sep 16, 2010 9:34 pm

I picked up the first in the Chronicles of Brothers series at the bookstore earlier this semester, thinking it might be an interesting read. I still think that but I'm going to be a little more shall we say discerning when I approach it. Although, looking at the website I find myself slightly disappointed that halfway through this seems to become Left Behind/The Omega Code redux.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 16, 2010 9:40 pm

Bookwyrm, no worries mate. The first fall from grace is backed up by Bible verses but many of the details are largely speculation. All the same, it fascinates me. I've read a few more samples of Wendy Alec's books and while the premise sounds interesting, the purple prose is growing rather painful. As for the 'offensive conspiracy theories', I'm not sure what you're talking about there. My understanding is this is a sci-fi/fantasy (fictional) perspective on biblical matters - being made in the likeness of God, the Nephilim etc. The author herself, admits that her books are part Biblical truth with a huge dose of urban legends/wild speculation.

I'm glad you realise Supernatural wasn't the first to do that but is the idea that Lucifer rebelled because he didn't like humans non-biblical? I mean, it wasn't the primary reason, that was wanting to be God, but he wouldn't have had any love for humans, could easily have been jealous of them. Yes, again it's largely speculation. I don't remember it being anywhere in the Bible but it was definitely in the classic fictional poem, Paradise Lost by John Milton.

Again, I'm not arguing with you, just curious why you think it's non-biblical. I could be wrong. I'm merely curious.

Currently, I'm reading the latest Relevant Magazine. It's a very good read, even if (A) not everything is 'relevant' to me because I'm not an American and (B) I've never heard of many of the bands, books, movies etc. that are reviewed in there. But that's okay. I'm learning. Branching out.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext