This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby RubyGamgee » Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

Hey, would anyone be interested in helping me with a song? My friend and I are trying to play "all about us" by he is we. She's playing on her harp and i'm trying to come up with the piano. I've got the part woth the verse down, but I'm still struggling to fnd some of the chords. I've never played a song by ear, so this is all kind of new to me. :P

Here is the song:http://youtu.be/yZgVBh-vuvE
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby winterlife » Sep 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Ruby, I think Glenstorm the Great has figured out the chords for that song. She gave them to me a few months ago. I'll go look them up. :)

*wanders through her endless supply of music*

Aha! I found it!

I've never played it, but it looks pretty good... I'll edit it later if I find any problems when I play it. :)

Intro:
E B/D# C#M B

Verse 1:
E B/D#
Take my hand, I’ll teach you to dance.
C#m B
I’ll spin you around, won’t let you fall down.
E B/D#
Would you let me lead, you can step on my feet.
C#m B
Give it a try, it’ll be alright.

Prechorus:
A
The room’s hush hush,
F#m
And now’s our moment.
E C#m B
Take it in feel it all and hold it.
A F#m
Eyes on you, eyes on me.
E B
We’re doing this right.

Chorus:
E
Cause lovers dance when they’re feeling in love.
C#m
Spotlight shinning, it’s all about us.
A B
It’s oh, oh, oh, oh, all about uh, uh, uh, uh, us.
E
And every heart in the room will melt,
B
This is a feeling I’ve never felt but,
A B
It’s oh, oh, all about us.

Verse 2:
Suddenly, I’m feeling brave.
Don’t know what’s got into me,
Why I feel this way.
Can we dance, real slow?
Can I hold you, real close?

Prechorus, Chorus

E
Do you hear that love?
They’re playing our song.
C#m
Do you think we’re ready?
Oh I’m really feeling it.
A
Do you hear that love?
B
Do you hear that love?
X3

Chorus x2

Have fun! :)
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm

I am playing piano for my InterVarsity group's large group worship on Friday and then for our Fall Conference next weekend (14 - 16). Prayer for the whole team would be appreciated. There's five of us total: a drummer (who is female, \m/ ), two guitarists who are also our singers, a bassist (is that even what you call them?), and me on piano.

Right now, I've just finished finding all the music we need but don't have. We know the songs pretty much. Like a lot of songs only have one chord progression (just four chords) played over and over and the rest that don't fit in that category usually have just two or three chord progessions and our guitarists know them. But we need the lyrics and the chords in front of us just in case. My cousin (one of the guitarists) assigned me to be his administrative assistant because he's pretty unorganized. After beating my head against the wall for a couple hours, I still can not find a decent copy of one of the songs "Beautiful Things" by Gungor in the key of E anywhere online. So if anyone happens to know where I could find it, I'd appreciate it. Or even if it's not in E because we can always transpose it.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby winterlife » Oct 06, 2011 11:54 am

Praying for you, Julie! And yes, the correct term is "bassist."

I've never heard the song, but is this it? If not, I can look again. If it's right, you can transpose it right on the site.
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 06, 2011 2:37 pm

winterlife wrote:Praying for you, Julie! And yes, the correct term is "bassist."

I've never heard the song, but is this it? If not, I can look again. If it's right, you can transpose it right on the site.

I did find that one but I didn't know if it was right or not. I only first heard of the song when one of the guitarists started playing and singing it during practice and my cousin (the lead guitarist) said "hey, let's add that to the set!"

Anyway, my cousin came over last night and we worked on the PowerPoint for the songs and he found a version he thought would be ok on-line. Thanks though!
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 27, 2011 11:54 am

I just recently learned how to play the organ and made my first cover on it of "Creator of the Stars of Night", a Gregorian chant that I found particularly beautiful. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRhVXBn0lg
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby EtJ » Dec 27, 2011 2:21 pm

That's really cool, Mino! I like that chant!
"To the Great Western Wood, I give you...."
EtJ
Moderator Emeritus
Mad Mod of GMD and G&B

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I have a YouTube channel that I am slowly filling with videos, mostly of me singing :) there are a couple of videos of me and Glenstorm The Great signing together (she plays the guitar) :)

here's a couple of videos from my channel:

"Lucy" by Skillet cover (with Glenstorm The Great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghG_WF2AO0

"I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldf6SVIdXow

"Haunting" by Anberlin cover (with Glenstorm The Great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5wUSYaIdvU

and here's a link to my channel if you want to check out all the other videos I have on there :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/libblyster16?feature=mhee
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby The Pendragon » Dec 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Hey, I have a small request for anyone who can play piano by ear. I would love to play this song by The Vespers called 'No', He Said, but I'm not sure what the notes are. I think it's a G/ E key, but I really don't know. If you have some spare time and enjoy that sort of thing, I'd really appreciate it! :) Thank you!
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Andrew » Dec 30, 2011 12:58 am

I have a question, if anyone knows the answer. When building a 9th chord, do you keep the 7th note in the chord? And if so, how many half steps should be between the 7th and the 9th? If not, how many half steps between the 5th and the 9th? Keep in mind I'm asking about the theoretically correct way, and I'm talking about a major 9th built on a I, IV or V chord. Hope someone can help, thanks.
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Jan 05, 2012 9:14 am

The Pendragon wrote:Hey, I have a small request for anyone who can play piano by ear. I would love to play this song by The Vespers called 'No', He Said, but I'm not sure what the notes are. I think it's a G/ E key, but I really don't know.

The song is in the key of C major and goes back and forth between Cmaj and Gmaj7 for much of the song. I wrote up the piano part for the background, hopefully it should be enough to get you started :)

Andrew wrote:When building a 9th chord, do you keep the 7th note in the chord? And if so, how many half steps should be between the 7th and the 9th? If not, how many half steps between the 5th and the 9th? Keep in mind I'm asking about the theoretically correct way, and I'm talking about a major 9th built on a I, IV or V chord.

Yes, you keep the 7th note. There will be 2 half steps in-between the 7th and 9th (so to get from the 7th to the 9th or vice versa you go up/down 3 half steps).
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Pendragon » Jan 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you SO MUCH MinotaurForAslan!!! :ymhug: I never would have figured that out! :p
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm

You're welcome The Pendragon. :)

Here's a recent piano cover I did of "the Star-Spangled Banner" for school. (The song is played over the intercom every Friday and the principal allows students and faculty to play their own version if they so desire.)

I changed up some chords so it sounds fresh.

MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Princess Anna » Mar 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Ok, here goes nothin...

I've been wanting to learn guitar for ages, now. I've asked friends and family for years... and none of them had time to help me. Ok, not true. Dad tried to teach me once, years ago, but back then I wasn't good about practicing or sticking with stuff for too long. :ymblushing: So, that ended it pretty quickly.

Anyway, a week ago, my pastor's son taught me how to play the G chord... but that's all I know. I'm not sure if he'll be able to teach me more too often. And so I'm thinking I should learn on my own (which is what he did, by the way). But I don't know the best way to go about that. I mean, I want to know how to do this correctly.

Any suggestions?
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby Andrew » Mar 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Princess Anna, I self-taught myself guitar for the first year I played. I can tell you the best recources I found, and practice methods. First off, decide what you want. If you just want to learn a few chords and play songs at parties, you won't need to take it as seriously as if you really want to learn the instrument. I started out just playing for some fun on the side, but quickly became obsessed (I love playing guitar). I started out learning a few chords, G, C, and D, if I remember correctly. I would practice them, and then switching between them. Every few days I'd learn a new chord or two. For starting out, I recommend learning G, C, E, D, Am, Em, and F. The F chord is going to be the hardest chord you learn as a beginner, so make sure you learn either the reduced bar version of the power chord before you try tackling the full barre chord. (If none of this makes sense to you yet, I apologize). I had a book, guitar for dummies, that I used to learn the chords, but any chord chart will do. Anyways, I practiced playing chords and stumming them for about 2 or 3 hours a day/night, and in a few weeks I could play some songs. After you get that down, just move onto more chords or songs, and you'll want to look into the pentatonic scale if you've mastered your first few chords well enough. Learning to read music is a great tool to have, but not necessary unless you really want to learn it as an insturment and not just for fun.

Once you get the basics down, there are plenty of recources available online that I could send you links to and whatnot.

If you have any questions or need anything explained in better detail, feel free to message me. I love talking about guitar, so I'd be happy to help with anything I can.
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Princess Anna » Mar 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Andrew wrote:If you have any questions or need anything explained in better detail, feel free to message me. I love talking about guitar, so I'd be happy to help with anything I can.

Thanks for all the help, Andrew! :D And I just might take you up on that at some point!

I guess I'm not sure how to approach this because...
I do want to learn mainly for fun. You know, so I can accompany myself? I partially want to learn, because I've grown up watching my dad play. (and other people too) However, I said I wanted to learn it correctly, because I have a background in music. (mainly choirs, and voice lessons. but piano too. and a LITTLE bit of flute and recorder) I guess I've drilled it into myself over the years of learning things the right way. ;)) Besides, if I end up getting real lessons someday, I don't want to go in and learn that I've been teaching myself wrong. Bad habits are hard to break, so I'm trying to avoid that. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I have an update now!! Ok, so this morning, I asked Dad to show me another chord... and he did! And then I taught myself three more, using chords he'd written on a piece of paper a long time ago... bringing me to a grand total of five chords! :D They are: G, Em, C, Am, and F

Speaking of the F chord... maybe it's the way my dad wrote it down, but I'm not having any trouble with it. So, I'm guessing it's a cheating way or something? Seeing as everyone in this thread (and my mom) have said that it's the hardest chord, I mean. I'm confused. ;))

And on top of learning four new chords, I now know two songs, as well! (Dad brought a book upstairs for me, so I could play one song... and I found the other in that book) They are: "It's a Happy Day" and "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love".

So, yeah. I'm all excited now... that's way more than I knew yesterday! :D Thought you all would like to know. ;)
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

PreviousNext