This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: Chapter One!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Books: Chapter One!

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 06, 2009 2:51 pm

NG wrote:Lol. Cast of characters from a Star Wars set, Meltintalle? :p
Well, a medieval bestiary might be more apropos, but I'm not familiar with the contents of them. ;)

lys, I recommend The Moonstone. It's the one I read first. :p

FF, I liked Castaways, but not as a whole--if that makes sense. The first two parts are good. The third part is my favourite, but it's very disconnected from the other two. It would have been a fun read even if it didn't have 'necessary' references to the other two parts in it. It's like Redwall, but with people. It might have been better to just do the first two thirds (which I keep typing up as 'halves' if that tells you anything :p ) of Castaways, publish Angel's Command and do the third part as separate Christmas gift book or something. :)

Follower of Aslan wrote:What I find interesting is how she quotes other books at the beginning of her chapters. :) Are you familiar with other authors who do that? I don't think I am...
Walter Scott for one. It was a common practice for awhile, so you'll see it often in older books. More recently, Elizabeth Wein quoted The Odyssey at the beginning of every chapter in The Sunbird (which I just reread; I can't remember if she does that in any other of her books. :ymblushing: ). I should be able to think of others off the top of my head!!! (I have to admit that after awhile, my favourite part of the Ink books was coming across a quote from a book I'd actually read. And I still haven't read any Isaac Bevis Singer, though I want to after seeing quote after quote from his work at the beginning of each chapter...)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 06, 2009 4:09 pm

Follower of Aslan wrote:Digs! I just finished Inkspell myself. It took me forever and a half to get through it! (although I had other books going at the time). Of course, now I have to read Inkdeath! I can't just stop and be happy with the ending of Inkspell! (sorry, a bit of a spoiler there)
I do absolutely love Funke's style of writing. What I find interesting is how she quotes other books at the beginning of her chapters. Are you familiar with other authors who do that? I don't think I am...
Yes, Inkheart I found a bit antagonizing also. So it's not just me who though that it repeated itself? Ha-ha. Which of the two do you like better - or, you've read Inkdeath, right? which of the three is your favorite?

I'm not familliar with any other authors who start off each chapter with a quote. I find it to be a very useful gauge as to what the chapter is going to concern. I do, of course, know many authors who start out a book with a quote, but never each chapter.

I haven't read Inkdeath as of yet. It's been on my list forever, and it's becoming more and more likely that it'll get read before the start of term on the 23rd. Since it came out in the middle of the school year, I hadn't had opportunity to read it, although I did purchase my copy as soon as I could. That's part of the reason why I chose to read Inkspell again during my recent literary dry spell.

So, out of the first two books, I would have to say that Inkspell is a much better book. It doesn't have those repetitve Get caught by Capricorn, run away, get betrayed by Dustfinger resulting in being recaptured by Capricorn, run away again, get caught once more, run away again kind of themes. There's so much action that takes place, and I love the fact that it's not leaving Elinor in the dark (as she's perhaps my favourite character in the whole series thus far). I also really like the fact that Funke expanded Fenoglio's character so much in this book. I found him to be a bit whiny in the Inkheart, but in Inkspell he's turned into such a complex character that it is hard for me to place a good grip on him. I mean:

On one hand, he feels responsible to look after Meggie, and take care of Minerva's children, but on the other hand, he goes about manipulating the story to fit his will. I know that it's his world, but still...

But even with that, it such an excellent book, both of the Ink books are. I anticipate delving into the wonder and enchantment of Inkdeath as soon as I'm done with Inkspell.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Mr Anderson » Sep 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Sorry to any Twilight fans who may exist, but one of my friends found this somewhere and I just had to post it. XD

(Formerly Reep&cheep)
Mr Anderson
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 06, 2009 5:46 pm

Right now, I'm reading The Lovely Bones, before the movie comes out. Very good so far!
I just finished the Ember series last month, along with Jane Eyre. Now I want to own both of the previously mentioned!
Speaking of the Inkheart Triology, I finished Inkdeath a month after it came out. REALLY GOOD SERIES!
My friend keeps recommending the Septimus Heap triology; does anyone here know if that's any good? I found a copy of it in the library, only to find it was in ESPANOL. /:)
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Sep 06, 2009 6:02 pm

mr anderson: i love that!
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 06, 2009 6:05 pm

DiGoRy, I agree with your thoughts on the Ink series. I enjoyed their plotline muchly; they were really interesting! =] The only things I didn’t like about it was the moral issues and cussing, but over all, the plot was enjoyable. My favourite out of all of them is Inkheart, by far. Inkdeath, though, come close in second.

Faun_Song612 wrote: Lately I've been re-reading a lot of Louisa May Alcott. I'm just in a mood for it, I guess. I re-read An Old-Fashioned Girl, then immediately after picked up Rose In Bloom. And I started The Inheritence, but that Edith Avelon drives me crazy. I wasn't sure I could spend all that time with her a second time. ;) So I think I've had enough LMA to last me a while.
Ditto, I’ve been reading a lot of Lousia May Alcott, too. An Old-Fashioned Girl is definitely a favourite, but for Rose in Bloom—did you like Eight Cousins better, or Rose in Bloom? I enjoyed Eight Cousins far more than Rose in Bloom, I guess because it had more plot line variety than Rose in Bloom did. :)
(Far too many italics up there... ^)
Haha, about The Inheritance! Edith was an okay character, but her beauty and righteousness is stressed too much than necessary. :P

Ah, I understand (about Jane Eyre), WW. Today my Sunday school teacher sort of spoiled the books happenings for me, so I understand why that was so. ;))
SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
Is it really true the the mad woman in the attic (I think it’s Grace Poole…) is married to Mr. Rochester and he still married Jane? That’s just….really messed up. However, we’ll see what I think of it when I finish it.

Mr Anderson: LOL! That's a most interesting picture.

Well, apart from reading Jane Eyre, I have a cue of books piling up by my bed. Lets see, I have Great Expectations, Anne’s House of Dreams, and far more. I hope I can get them read fast enough! Also, I’m considering re-reading P&P over again. I didn’t finish it the other time I picked it up, and I really want to, so I suppose I’ll check it out next time we go to the library. =]
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby malkah » Sep 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Hello everyone! I am a long-time lurker who has finally seen the error of her ways and decided to join. :) I'm looking forward to discussing with you all!

I'd like to say thanks first, though, for the great discussion and quality literature in this thread. I've discovered so many amazing books and authors and been encouraged to try(or retry) some that I never would have otherwise. Thank you! :ymapplause:

I just finished reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers and The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner. I'm now trying to wait patiently for a trip to the library and The Queen. ;)
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby Lady_Liln » Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm

*declines any comments on the current topic of Silas Marner*

Bella, well, let's just say your Sunday school teacher jumbled a few facts; I can explain what's right and wrong with that spoiler, but I think you'd do better to just read it for yourself. :)

malkah, lovely to have you here on NWeb! Glad you've joined and hope you enjoy your time here! Hurrah for reading the Attolia series! :ymapplause:
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lydia Jane » Sep 06, 2009 7:51 pm

I just recently read Jane Eyre as well! I attempted it before but it turned out to be one of those that I needed to come back to after a while.

Has anyone here ever read anything by Tim Downs? I've read several of his books: Shoofly Pie, Chop Shop, Less Than Dead and Head Game. The first three are Bug Man novels about a forensic entomologist, whereas the last is a stand-alone work. My sister ordered First the Dead and Ends of the Earth which are also Bug Man books, so I'm very anxiously awaiting the arrival of those. Downs also has another book, PlagueMaker, which I've not read.

I've also been reading some Diana Wynne Jones: House of Many Ways, Charmed Life, The Lives of Christopher Chant and The Pinhoe Egg, plus rereads of Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky. I want to read the rest of the Chronicles of Chrestomanci, but that'll have to wait until I can buy them, since my library doesn't have them.
Lydia Jane
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Kate » Sep 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Glenstorm: Oh, thank you! That's marvelous; just the answer I was looking for. :)

LL wrote:My summer sadly took up much more time then I anticipated
That's a sad thing? This was your first read of LotR? I'm surprised! I would have thought you would have already read it. Why do you wish you'd read it earlier?

Bella: Just wait with Jane Eyre. :) You'll get there. I'm sorry you were spoiled for some of the details, but there is more to come.

malkah: welcome welcome! Including The Thief in your first post in this thread is an excellent way to inspire everyone to have a good opinion of you. ;)

I read Inkheart several years ago, before I began posting in this thread, and was not very impressed. It was a lovely concept, but I just wasn't captivated. Is there any use in checking out the books that follow it?
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Mar In Narnia » Sep 07, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Amira: Yes, that book is the one of the Crackenthorpes.
My strongest guess is that she ended with Brian Eastley, mainly because of how Lucy defended him when he was suspected of the murder and because it was kind of noticeable that she liked him. And also, she liked his son Alexander. The other choices could be Cedric or Luther Crackenthorpe, but I don't think she ended with any of them. Maybe Cedric, but I'm not sure, because Lucy never showed any feelings for him. But, in the end, when Inspector Craddock asks Miss Marple if she knows with who is going to end up Lucy, she winks at him. I don't know if I should take this as something else or as something that means something. I don't remember if Craddock was married, but maybe if he wasn't, Miss Marple was suggesting something? But, if I had to choose with whom she ended with, I would say Brian Eastley. What do you think?

lysander: I read "The Importance of Being Ernest" a few months ago and really liked it! Some situations were pretty absurd, but still funny to me. And I also found some really good and witty phrases in that book.

malkah and Lydia Jane: Welcome to Narnia Web and this thread :)
Thanks to malkah for the lovely avatar!
Mar In Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Amira Tair » Sep 07, 2009 7:59 am

Mar:
I am between Bryan Eastley and Cedric Crackenthorpe. From what I remember, she defended Bryan a lot, as you say, and she was the kind of strong woman who would be happy with a somewhat weaker husband. However, I also saw something going on between her and Cedric and I can't really make up my mind, they would be such different relationships... I think I would prefer Cedric but I think Bryan is more probable. I never interpreted Miss Marple's wink as a sign that Craddock was the chosen one, I always thought it was a a wink to the readers who were also making the same question :-\. Besides, I'm not sure but I believe Craddock appears in more stories. It's open to interpretation :)
Amira Tair
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 07, 2009 8:22 am

Kate wrote:I read Inkheart several years ago, before I began posting in this thread, and was not very impressed. It was a lovely concept, but I just wasn't captivated. Is there any use in checking out the books that follow it?

I would definitely check out the next book, Inkspell, and have a go at it. After all, you can always quit if you don't like it. I will tell you that the plotline for Inkspell is very complicated. What I mean by this, is that one thing feeds another to such an extent, that the plot becomes quite twisted and complicated. It's never hard to understand, but it does seem to change a good deal (even if the changes are caused by the former plotline).

It's also a good deal darker than Inkheart was, which always makes for interesting reads ;)

If it has one flaw among it, it's the fact that there are an awful lot of characters to keep straight (particularly a lot of new characters in the Inkworld).

But I would definitely give Inkspell a try. As I said, it can always go back to the library, if you dislike it.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 07, 2009 11:04 am

Ok, so evidently, no one's read the Septimus Heap books. Looks like I'll have to wait for the English copy to be returned to the library and find out for myself.
The Ink series can be very confusing, as many have said, and yes, it's bcause of the character. But it is very helpful that they include a list of characters. Inkdeath was the best of the series, IMO.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Sep 07, 2009 11:31 am

I've read all of the Septimus Heape books that have come out so far and enjoyed them. They're a bit like a more whimsical version of Harry Potter with a little Dickens added in.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Oh ok, thanks Bookwyrm. It sounded like a good series, when I had my firend, who knows Spanish, translate the back of the one Septimus Heap book I found at the library. :)
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext