This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Books: Chapter One!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Books: Chapter One!

Postby wisewoman » Aug 25, 2009 9:26 am

Paul Sweeney wrote:You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.

Haven't all booklovers felt this way? But there are plenty of bookish people on NarniaWeb who are quite willing to be your friends when the last page is turned! And this is where the resident readers congregate to talk about what we are currently reading, our favorite authors, and anything else of a literary nature.

So without further ado, let's get started! :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Re: Books: Chapter One!

Postby Horse_Lover » Sep 04, 2009 5:21 am

OOOh, favorite book! Where do I start? ;)

I just finished the Spiderwick chronicles, and I've read the 3 current Inheritance books. I also like horse stories, such as Winnie the Horse Gentler, Phantom Stallion, and King of the Wind.
I also just finished the Hobbit. :) It was pretty good, although it took a LONG time to get to the actual adventure. :)

That's about it for now.... :) Yay, first post again.
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby arabesque » Sep 04, 2009 6:39 am

I just realized how so very true that quote is, wisewomen! I always get a sinking feeling when I turn over the last page! :(

Currently I'm in the middle of re-reading Emily Climbs by L. M. Montgomery. It's the second book of her three Emily novels and I loved them so much when I first read them years ago that I'm re-vising them! I love Montgomery's unique writing style and the way she describes things. It is so lovely! Emily's quite different then Anne but in some ways I almost like her more.

I also finished reading a fantasy book called The Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan. Probably many of you have heard of it before. I just discovered it browsing through books at Barnes and Nobles but apparently it's been around for a number of years. I can never resist new fantasy ideas so I bought it to read. I was rather skeptical about it though because sometimes these books can be very badly written but it turned out better then I thought and so now I've got to get book two from the library! :)
Avatar and siggy by lover of narnia!
arabesque
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnia Girl » Sep 04, 2009 7:12 am

wisewoman, arabesque is right! That is such a true quote.

Right now I'm in the middle of rereading The Rise of the Wyrm Lord by Wayne Thomas Batson. It's the second book in The Door Within trilogy, and it's super good! Wayne Thomas Batson is one of my favorite authors. I love fantasy books. :D
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Aslanisthebest » Sep 04, 2009 8:04 am

Aw, nice quote!

As I wrote in the other thread, I'm reading Jane Eyre right now.

SHOW SPOILER Jane Eyre
Mr. Rochester is about the most confusing character. On time he seems annoyed with Miss Ingram, the other he's calling her 'My lovely" What? I thought he found her annoying in the previous chapter! Maybe I'm just misreading things, and confusing things with my thoughs...

My favourite book would be much to hard to write...but, currently, my favourite author is Lousia May Alcott. :)
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby arabesque » Sep 04, 2009 8:05 am

Narnia Girl, I read the Door Within Trilogy as well! I enjoyed them immensely and the idea of two parallel worlds was very fascinating! Have you heard of Wayne Thomas Batson's other books? There are two pirate adventure books, Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire. I absolutely loved those and, personally, they were way better then the Door Within Trilogy. (Even though those were good too!) I really enjoyed them and if you love suspense and adventure then you would love them as well!

http://www.christianbook.com/isle-swords-hardcover-wayne-batson/9781400310180/pd/310180?item_code=WW&netp_id=480024&event=ESRCN&view=covers
Avatar and siggy by lover of narnia!
arabesque
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am

I'm currently re-reading Inkspell by Cornelia Funke for the 3rd time. I really love the Ink trilogy, and didn't realise how excellent Funke's writing style is.

I have a book on hold called Another Faust which is a modern retelling of the Dr. Faustus story by Christopher Marlowe. Unfortunately, I haven't received the book in as of yet, which is why I resorted to a tried and true favourite like Inkspell.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Kate » Sep 04, 2009 9:04 am

Alyosha: Thanks for your response to my question on the subject of Psmith in the previous thread. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry to hear that the other novels that he is featured in are not as worthy as Leave it to Psmith because I really enjoyed him in that one. Oh well.

I'm hoping to start in on Alfred, Lord Tennyson's The Idylls of the King this week between packing everything. I've never read anything like it before, so I'm interested to see how it is.

DiG: I like your word of the week. ;) I can't claim to be a "bardolator" but I do appreciate his work.
Kate
Moderator Emeritus
DJ Mod

Postby Narnia Girl » Sep 04, 2009 9:27 am

arabesque, I've read Isle of Swords and Isle of Fire as well! They were SO good, almost better than the Door Within trilogy! Who was your favorite character? Mine was probably Anne - I love her fiery spirit.
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Silvertongue » Sep 04, 2009 9:46 am

I'm currently reading 'Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins...it's the sequel to "The Hunger Games"...has anyone read that one?
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Horse_Lover » Sep 04, 2009 9:58 am

DiGoRy, how do you like Inkspell? Do you like Inkheart? I've been thinking about reading them, but I want to get other peoples views on them first.... :)
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 04, 2009 10:01 am

Inkspell is really good. I just love Funke's writing style. She goes into such beautiful details over even the little things, and then uses them to illustrate the point or emotion she is trying to convey.

Inkheart is a really good book as well. It has such an interesting plot line, and it's a pretty fast read. I did get a bit annoyed with it at times, only because the plotline seemed to repeat itself a little bit (I think you'll understand when you read it), but its characters are so unique, and so original, that you can't help but fall in love with them.

All of the Ink series are fabulous reads, and I heartily recommend them to everybody
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 04, 2009 10:57 am

W00t for the new book thread! :D

I finished Silas Marner today, all in all I enjoyed it, but not as much as other of Eliot's work, such as Middlemarch, or even Daniel Deronda. I liked somewhat how straight forwards the plot was, but I believe I'm somewhat used to the longer & more complex plots from Dickens, (especially), so I've lost enjoyment in the shorter plots that are more simple. Anyways- I posted some thoughts on it here...although I doubt it's anything too profound.

I decided to do a rather impromptu re-read of Persuasion today, as I recently re-watched the '95 version. It's been some time since I've actually read the book, so I figured it was time. I'm not far into it yet, however, just on about chapter III or so. :)

@ Amira Tair: (I believe it was you) The biography I read on Queen Victoria was called The Youthful Queen Victoria, written by Dormer Creston. It was published in 1952, if that is any help. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby starkat » Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

I've been rereading the Legends of the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock. I just finished book two and have started on Shadows over Kiriath. I love this series. It's a bit odd at first, but once you get into it and realize that it is a spiritual warfare series at least on one level, you appreciate it more.

My rather scatterbrained review of the first book in the series:

The Light of Edon by Karen Hancock opens by introducing Eldrin. Fifth son of the King of Kiriath, Eldrin has dedicated eight years of his life to becoming worthy to tend to the Mataian's Sacred Flames, but his past has come back to haunt him.

Events conspire against him and Eldrin is thrown from Mataian initiate into the world of his birth. His brothers sell him into slavery and with the last of his vows broken, the scrawny fifth son retakes his birth name, Abramm Kalladorne.

Originally taking vows to avoid confrontation with his brother, Gillard, Abramm is chained to a galley oar and forced to row or die. He begins to show the steel that his family is known for as he progresses up the rank in the gladiatorial games. However, Eidon has not forgotten him and Abramm comes face to face with the creator of life and has a decision to make.

The Light of Eidon is the first in the Legends of the Guardian King series. This book introduces the reader to a spiritual struggle, not only for one man's soul, but for the souls of a nation. As Abramm comes to realize he has been molded for a greater destiny, Kiriath calls him home.
starkat

Postby Alyosha » Sep 04, 2009 11:07 am

Kate - oh, the others weren't horrible by any means. They're certainly worth getting from the library or something. Psmith is Psmith after all. ;) I suppose it's mainly that they have less plot and fewer other characters.

Thanks for the thoughts on Heart of Darkness, everyone who commented in the old thread!

Finally dived into BookMooch...it's great :D
signature by Starsy
Alyosha
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Faun_Song612 » Sep 04, 2009 1:17 pm

What better time for me to make my reappearance in NarniaWeb's book discussion than in the shiny, bran new forum? :)

Lately I've been re-reading a lot of Louisa May Alcott. I'm just in a mood for it, I guess. I re-read An Old-Fashioned Girl, then immediately after picked up Rose In Bloom. And I started The Inheritence, but that Edith Avelon drives me crazy. I wasn't sure I could spend all that time with her a second time. ;) So I think I've had enough LMA to last me a while.

I would like to announce that I talked my twelve-year-old sister into reading Pride & Prejudice. :D She wanted to try Les Miserables (she's very ambitious) but I thought she had better start with a slightly less heavy classic.

Oy, I haven't talked about books in so long I feel like I've forgotten how. :-\
Faun_Song612
NarniaWeb Zealot

Next