This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christianity, Religion and Philosophy, Episode VI!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Christianity, Religion and Philosophy, Episode VI!

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:That's very interesting! Considering that nearly all other ancient religions seem to divy up the forces of nature, giving power over fire to one guy and dominion over water to another, a text that tells of a creation where one Entity was the source and master of everything must have been pretty remarkable in that day and age. It seems likely to me that those who read and heard it were probably a good deal more preoccupied with the clear indication of monotheism than they were with anything else that the first chapter of Genesis might convey.

Exactly! The BAR article* I read about Daniel being a Babylonian official recounts the story of Belshazzar and the writing on the wall, among other things. The article wanted to assert that Daniel was not just writing about the events. He was an eye-witness as well. The Ancient Assyrians and Babylonians were inclined to think that if they were victorious in battle, then their gods were triumphant over the gods of defeated peoples, who were then expected to obey and worship Assyrian and Babylonian gods. And there is plenty in the stories of Daniel, in particular, to support what exactly you are saying about monotheism. Remember Shadrach, Meshach & Abednego.

As a historian of sorts, I am quite fascinated by those Medes that played such a tremendous role in that particular time frame between 722 BC, when the Assyrians 'came down (to Israel) like wolves on the fold" and 500 BC, which ushered in the Greek/Persian rivalry. Who were these people to whom the Israelites were sent by the Assyrians (II Kings, 17: 6)? How was it the Medes, who helped the Babylonians defeat the Assyrians at Carchemish, became later collaborators of the Persians who overran Babylon? And isn't it interesting that about 600 BC that an almost monotheistic religion - Zoroastrianism - started among the Medes and Persians, less than a century before the Persian takeover of Babylon & the return to Jerusalem? As far as I can find out, these Medes were the predecessors of the Kurdish people of today.

Ithilwen wrote:Indeed. Some people define day as "the space of time between one night and the next". Now, of course, that's a 24 hour period, due to the earth's movement and the sun. But during the first few "days" of creation, there was no sun. Light came from somewhere else; perhaps from God Himself, or perhaps from some temporary source. In that case, a "day" could be much longer than 24 hours. Perhaps even years. Centuries. Who knows?

Now this is where even Genesis 1 gets tricky, but there is still a way around it without denying the role of God in creation. Remember that the Earth, when it was first formed, according to geology, astronomy and much else, did so as a by product of the birth of the Sun. Since the Sun is mainly hydrogen and helium, with all other elements being created from derivatives of hydrogen and helium, including gold and uranium, the rocks ejected by the Sun in its formation, or captured from passing space debris, can be considerably older than the Sun, itself, measured by the amounts of varying elements in the rocks, and released by previous Supernovas. Or, being no expert, that is my amateurish understanding of what I have been reading about chemistry and the Sun.

The Rio Tinto display, which described the Earth as nothing more than a snowball initially, did say at the time it was a snowball that the Earth had no atmosphere as we know it now. So where did the Atmosphere come from? And by what process was it formed? Without the atmosphere we would not be able to see anything, even if there was anything with eyes to see with. And an entirely snow covered ball of rock would be too dark to see anything, anyway. So from a contemporary of the ancient Chaldean point of view, putting the creation of the Sun where it is in Chapter 1 makes eminent good sense. We are seeing individuals and we know best what we can see. And yes, there has to be light before we can see.

I've also read in the news and at other places, that the Sun in its origin, was considerably dimmer than it is now, putting out less energy. Somehow or other, the Sun became hotter, and the Earth changed as well. So Genesis' order of creation isn't quite as contrary to science as what was made out by the Catholic Church, this time, in the time of Galiliei Galileo, when people thought the Earth was flat, and that the Sun revolved around the Earth. By the way, the Vatican has one of the best scientific libraries in the world.

However, neither Nicholas Copernicus, nor Galileo, would for one second have denied that God made the world, however He made it. Neither would any of their contemporaries who happened to think they were on to something. Even today, it would only be a small group of odd-balls who insist the Earth is flat, let alone that the Sun revolves around the Earth. So why do we today get our knickers in a knot (to use a proverbial expression), in this day and age, over Evolutionary theory? :D

The Chaldeans, who had no hesitation in using Jewish captives to assist their pursuits, were such marvellous mathematicians and astronomers that they have been credited with the original idea of dividing a day into 24 hours, 60 minutes per hour and 60 seconds per minute. As you say, Ithilwen, before that, a day was simply sunrise to sunset, or from nightfall to nightfall. But it took Nicholas Copernicus then Galileo, to show that the Earth revolved around the Sun for yearly measurements, not the Chaldeans. And even by that time we had first the Julian calendar, authorised by Julius Caesar, then the later Gregorian calendar, and we are all still living as a Christian faith, with the consequences of that change in time measurement in the times we celebrate Christmas and Easter.

EDIT (Jan 26th, 2014, 7.06 pm): *The BAR (Biblical Archaeological Review) article I referred to was actually from Archaeological Diggings Vol. 20 no. 6 2013, i.e Dec 2013/Jan 2014, published by Adventist Media Network (Wahroonga, NSW? ISSN: 1322-6525). The article is Archaeology and a Sixth century book of Daniel by Gary Webster, on pp.8-14.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Arwenel » Jan 25, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm not going to get too involved in this creation vs. evolution debate, but i think it's worth noting that in the Mosaic Law, God considered keeping the Sabbath day holy a very serious duty, and He more than once based it on "for in six days the LORD God created the heavens and the Earth, and on the seventh day He rested".
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 27, 2014 3:14 am

Ithilwen wrote:But if you can believe in God without having the proof they had, I'd say you're the one with the stronger faith. Sometimes I wonder if God just gives deep spiritual experiences to the weak, because He knows they could never believe in Him otherwise.

I’m not sure I agree with Ithilwen’s comment. I know it’s meant to be encouraging to those (like me) who haven’t had any real sense of God’s presence, but it doesn’t seem to sit right. A popular analogy often used to describe what faith is, describes a tightrope walker who fastens a high wire above the Niagara Falls and asks the assembled crowd, “Do you think I can walk across this wire to the other side?” and the crowd answers, “Yeah, yeah.” So he does so and then asks, “Do you think I can do it while pushing a wheelbarrow?” and the crowd answers, “Yeah, yeah.” So he does so and then asks, “Do you think I can do it with someone sitting in the wheelbarrow?” and the crowd answers, “Yeah, yeah.” “Right. Any volunteers?” and the crowd is silent. Then a little boy volunteers, and the tightrope walker pushes him across in the wheelbarrow and back again. The boy, of course, is the tightrope walker’s son. The point is, that the boy trusts his father because he knows him; his father is always around to protect him. If he were a distant father whom he’d never seen and who never spoke to him (except perhaps by second-hand messages), he wouldn’t have that level of trust.

Or, since this is a Narnia fans’ website, look at how Aslan is depicted in the stories. In The Horse And His Boy, for instance, Shasta hasn’t heard of Narnia until Bree tells him about it. Bree never talks about Aslan, interestingly enough, except as an exclamation: “By the Lion’s Mane” etc. Aslan, of course, is manipulating events behind the scenes; but eventually Shasta gets to meet him for real. Throughout the Narnia series the most “successful” characters are the ones who get to know Aslan the best. Jill starts her Narnian adventure by speaking with Aslan face to face. All sorts of things in Lewis’ writing (not just Narnia) lead me to believe that he thought being a Christian meant that you “knew” God in some way, not merely believed in his existence.

Unless all these analogies are way off beam, I think they point to a relationship which is active and personal. So I don’t think that believing in God when you have never had any sense that your belief is real indicates a stronger faith; I think it means something is wrong.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 27, 2014 6:54 am

Note: The following does not necessarily contain my view on the subject but someone brought it up on another forum.

Basically god is not obeying the golden rule:

If you were destined to hell (traditionally defined as a place of everlasting torment), would you prefer to not exist at all? I think most of us would not want to exist if that was the outcome. If you had the choice of creating somebody who could only be created as destined to go to hell, would you create that person? I doubt you would.

Does God not have empathy? Creating people who can only go to hell is a violation of "do others has you would have them do unto you."
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Arwenel wrote:I'm not going to get too involved in this creation vs. evolution debate, but i think it's worth noting that in the Mosaic Law, God considered keeping the Sabbath day holy a very serious duty, and He more than once based it on "for in six days the LORD God created the heavens and the Earth, and on the seventh day He rested".

Fair point! The Mosaic law is also part of the most ancient bits of the Bible, and it is not only in Exodus but also in Numbers or Deuteronomy. Again there are two parallel traditions, such as of the making of the Ark of the Covenant, slightly different, as in the Creation story of Genesis, but the Mosaic law, itself, is the same for both traditions. This particular law may well have been set down in writing, along with the other 9 commandments, well before the time of the Judges, or anything written in Jerusalem. But it isn't the oldest part of even Exodus. That honour belongs to the Song of Miriam after the Hebrews crossed the Red Sea. Since it was a song, it may well have been older than even the 10 Commandments.

Again, it matters not how you measure what a day is, or if you are speaking poetically, in sevens, or in seven x sevens, in jubilees, in eons or in weeks. The most important message of the Mosaic law, is that God made the world, that God is the only God to worship, setting aside other Gods, that His name is not to be taken in vain, that His people are not to make graven images, and that His people must make a regular, key and specifically weekly time for Him so that you can worship him, undistracted from other pursuits. This is much easier in a society which sets a particular day of the working week aside for that purpose, and which respects the worshippers' rights to do so.

But, as Christ, himself, said: The Sabbath was made for Man, not Man for the Sabbath. And isn't it interesting that the people given this Mosaic law were workers, artisans, slaves, themselves, even? This law is so important that it also applied to slaves within a Hebrew household, thus uniquely giving the poor slaves a day off slaving for the Master. People who work 7 days a week without a break can run themselves into the ground until they can't work at all.

IlF's quote wrote:Does God not have empathy? Creating people who can only go to hell is a violation of "do others has you would have them do unto you."

I think this argument ignores that nobody really knows anything about Hell or Heaven, and that both excite a good bit of imagination amongst living people. Some people think of a Last Judgement, where we are judged by the good and evil things we have chosen to do in the world. Others seem to think this happens when we die. C.S.Lewis, in The Last Battle, portrayed a different sort of scenario where the most important bit was how the Narnians who entered through the door felt about Aslan, and what they had chosen to believe. But that of course is fictitional.

My personal belief is that Man has done quite a bit to make sure that Hell is alive, palpable and very present on this Earth without his worrying about Hell in the hereafter, who is destined for it and who is not. When I went overseas in 2012, I visited France, UK, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary and Austria. Anyone who tours through Poland cannot avoid visiting Auschwitz, a truly terrible place, even though many of the huts in Birkenau have either been demolished or have fallen to bits. What happened to the poor, mainly innocent, people who went there, was truly terrible. But that was Man's doing, not God's.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 27, 2014 9:07 pm

King_Erlian wrote:Unless all these analogies are way off beam, I think they point to a relationship which is active and personal. So I don’t think that believing in God when you have never had any sense that your belief is real indicates a stronger faith; I think it means something is wrong.

What I was talking about has nothing to do with whether one's relationship with God is active and personal. I was talking about 1.) witnessing miracles (this is the part I was specifically talking about when I said perhaps only the weak experience it), and 2.) "feeling God's presence", which is all too often a creation of the imagination of those who claim to experience it on a regular basis. Our relationship with God doesn't depend on feelings, nor does it need miracles to be genuine. And just because you don't get "spiritual feelings" or witness miracles, that doesn't mean your belief is without proof. There is plenty of proof of God's existence in His own creation, as well as in things that have happened throughout history.

IloveFauns wrote:Note: The following does not necessarily contain my view on the subject but someone brought it up on another forum.

Basically god is not obeying the golden rule:

If you were destined to hell (traditionally defined as a place of everlasting torment), would you prefer to not exist at all? I think most of us would not want to exist if that was the outcome. If you had the choice of creating somebody who could only be created as destined to go to hell, would you create that person? I doubt you would.

Does God not have empathy? Creating people who can only go to hell is a violation of "do others has you would have them do unto you."

Who says God is under the Golden Rule? The Golden Rule exists to help people better get along with their friends and acquaintances. Are judges under the Golden Rule? Are they not allowed to put people in jail, because they wouldn't want to be sent to jail themselves? Must they treat criminals the way they themselves want to be treated? God is also a judge. When He sentences the wicked, His goal is to punish their wrongdoing; not give them what they want.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 28, 2014 2:08 am

Note: The following is what i think.

well the golden rule is:a basic principle which should always be followed to ensure success in general or in a particular activity. The rule states One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Judges may still follow the rule in a sense.They may think if I had done the wrong thing committed a crime this is how I would like to be treated. I would deserve to be put in jail for however many years.God could work in the same way but I think the person I was quoting was leaning towards not those who have done something wrong but those who haven't and end up with terrible things happen to them. One may argue that this is mans doing but I thought god had control?. He created the world after all(not that I think he did).
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 28, 2014 5:08 am

Ithilwen wrote:What I was talking about has nothing to do with whether one's relationship with God is active and personal. I was talking about 1.) witnessing miracles (this is the part I was specifically talking about when I said perhaps only the weak experience it), and 2.) "feeling God's presence", which is all too often a creation of the imagination of those who claim to experience it on a regular basis.

Thanks for clarifying; I think I'd misinterpreted what you'd said. I agree about those who claim "to feel God's presence" on a regular basis may be fooled by their own feelings and imaginations. I think one reason for this is misleading teaching in churches, particularly evangelical ones that put a lot of emphasis on this "personal relationship with God". They say that once you've gone through a conversion experience (which they say you must do in order to become a "real" Christian), then this relationship will automatically follow. So young Christians assume that any "spiritual-sounding" thought that comes into their heads must be God's leading, especially if it happens in a lively Christian gathering. It could equally be suggestion from other people, or their own subconscious desire. I have known people who have used "God's told me this" to deliberately manipulate others.

But still, I find (and I don't think I'm alone in this) that I have no sense of God's presence whatsoever, and I don't think that's healthy. I don't think it indicates I have a strong faith; quite the opposite.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 28, 2014 3:44 pm

Whether or not you regularly feel a sense of God's strong presence, as has been claimed, it still pays to pray, to read the Bible or at least to meditate. Whilst trying to survive some of my worst asthma attacks, I found it useful to read anything at all, including the Bible, if only to take my mind off how horribly breathless I felt. Thus I ended up rather better informed than I might have been. ;)

In other times of stress it is relaxing to take time out to pray to God, explaining all your troubles, in a way you might not even be able to do to a counsellor, let alone a priest. At the very least I find I calm down, think a little more clearly, maybe a little more fairly, definitely acknowledging what I might have done wrong, myself, and in doing so, I might find more satisfactory and useful solutions to the problems I am worried about. I hope that makes sense? I don't know if that makes me closer to God than what others might experience, but I hope it helps.

IloveFauns wrote:Judges may still follow the rule in a sense.They may think if I had done the wrong thing committed a crime this is how I would like to be treated. I would deserve to be put in jail for however many years.God could work in the same way but I think the person I was quoting was leaning towards not those who have done something wrong but those who haven't and end up with terrible things happen to them. One may argue that this is mans doing but I thought god had control?. He created the world after all(not that I think he did).

Maybe our Australian judges might think that way, but Australian law is not necessarily what is practised elsewhere. We don't have the death penalty, for example. And even in Australia, well, NSW, at any rate, judges can be under pressure from Parliament, the press and public opinion, even the police, who get frustrated that judges let off thugs and violent crimes far too lightly. Not to mention that we have had instances of judges that have committed crimes themselves, even if these misdeeds have been as relatively trivial as failing to acknowledge & pay up on a speeding fine. Of course the rules about lawbreaking are much stricter for judges and barristers, one would expect. ;)

What about the judges in Nazi Germany? Did they think about how they would like or how they would expect to be treated if they were the person on trial? As in many other instances, terms like show trials, kangaroo courts, or star chambers come to mind, where justice was not served at all. And where it is difficult to see the judges even regarded the accused as fellow human beings.

And that is the point of the story of Adam and Eve. In eating the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil, they disobeyed instructions, and so set themselves up as in competition to God, Himself. Why then would people blame God for things they do themselves, to themselves, and to each other?

I know horrible things happen to people who do not deserve them. The newspapers are full of these. Some of these horrible things are due to natural causes. But when Australia is over a billion in debt, just because of the houses lost through storms and bushfires, should we blame God for people running around lighting fires when they shouldn't? For the hot weather that may be due to human over-consumption of the world's resources? For the 2011 flood in Queensland due to problems with one of Brisbane's storage dams? Or for atmospheric storms which may be the Earth's way of cleansing, replenishing and protecting itself?

We are all familiar with C.S.Lewis, due to the Narnia books. But C.S.Lewis, writing through WW2, had a lot to say about pain, God's control in such circumstances, and man's responsibility in the matter. I'd like to revisit some of his works. And I'd like to revisit a film starring Billy Connolly called The man who sued God, a rather humorous way of establishing what the insurance companies describe as an "Act of God" to avoid paying up to affected people.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 28, 2014 9:10 pm

Very well said Wagga. Unfortunatly it's late, and I do not have my Bible concordance on hand, but I am certain that there is a reference about people in authority being placed there to exact judgment by God. I know that rulers have abused this, claiming to rule be divine right, there fore answerable only to God. But what they, and those who use their misdeeds forget, is that these people are still personally responsible for their misdeeds.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 29, 2014 12:36 am

The original discussion wasn't about judges. It is assumed that not everyone will followen the golden rule but shouldn't the creater of this world at least follow it?. Why create that person if that person will go to hell? I believe the christian god can tell the future right?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 29, 2014 1:49 am

But will that person go to hell? Is anyone predestined to go to hell? I don't believe so. That is also not what the Bible says. It only says that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Nobody comes to the Father, except by him. There is a way. By repenting of one's sins, accepting that Christ died to save repenting sinners, and with Christ's guidance, trying to make amends and to do better. But otherwise, as far as I can see, it is free choice whether you or I accept that or not.

What your argument boils down to is predestination against free will. We've seen plenty of examples in the last century or so of how people behave if not allowed any say in what happens to them, what their choices might be when faced with a lack of choice, and why people cannot be coerced into doing anything at all for very long without objecting or even rioting. Even obeying a directive to keep their sticky hands to themselves about one particular tree, as in the story of Adam and Eve ended up in their helping themselves to forbidden fruit.

Getting back to the golden rule, I thought that God, having created the world, and rested on the seventh day, made sure that everyone else also got a chance to rest on the seventh day, through the Ten Commandments. And the Ten Commandments as summarised by Jesus Christ say to love God with all one's heart, all one's strength, to worship him and give him thanks for His great goodness. And we are also instructed to love our neighbours as ourselves. Golden rule anyone? And if you don't think that God doesn't obey that rule, then consider this. God may forgive us if we seek forgiveness, but do other humans forgive us or do we forgive God, Himself?

Yes, I can agree that God may see into the future. And thus God knows that people who take certain courses of action are setting themselves up for a hiding to nothing. That if they continue to steal they will get caught eventually. Or if they hit people minding their own business, it is only a matter of time before there is a fatality, an outcry and a demand for legal action which will put offenders in gaol.

To say that people are born to go to hell is a very negative way of saying that we are doomed to bad behaviour, bad choices and have no hope of getting out of it. Can't people choose to repent and do differently? To confess their sins and try to make atonement? And if we ask God forgiveness, isn't he faithful and just to forgive us our sins? As we hope others will forgive us also? Or shouldn't we also forgive others, as we have been forgiven by God?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 29, 2014 1:50 am

IloveFauns wrote:The original discussion wasn't about judges. It is assumed that not everyone will followen the golden rule but shouldn't the creater of this world at least follow it?. Why create that person if that person will go to hell? I believe the christian god can tell the future right?

According to the Bible, some people are specifically created for the purpose of going to Hell.

Romans 9:22-24 says:

What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

So even people going to Hell has a good purpose in the end.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 29, 2014 2:03 am

And that quotation from Romans 9:22-24 is still a "what if".
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 29, 2014 2:31 am

Ithilwen wrote:According to the Bible, some people are specifically created for the purpose of going to Hell.

Romans 9:22-24 says:

What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

This is my problem. Because I've done all the right things in order to be saved, many times, over the course of over three decades, and it still hasn't worked, it leads me to conclude that I am one of those predestined for Hell. So it doesn't matter how much I may want to be a Christian, my name is not written in the Book of Life and God will not save me.

So why, with such a terrifying future ahead, do I not become an atheist? Simply because I believe atheism is false. Even as a small child, long before I prayed the "ask Jesus into my life" prayer, it seemed to me illogical that a universe as complex and amazing as ours could just spring into being by itself. So I've never seriously doubted the existence of a God who created everything. But a God who loves me... that's a different matter.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 29, 2014 2:43 am

King_Erlian wrote:This is my problem. Because I've done all the right things in order to be saved, many times, over the course of over three decades, and it still hasn't worked, it leads me to conclude that I am one of those predestined for Hell. So it doesn't matter how much I may want to be a Christian, my name is not written in the Book of Life and God will not save me.

So why, with such a terrifying future ahead, do I not become an atheist? Simply because I believe atheism is false. Even as a small child, long before I prayed the "ask Jesus into my life" prayer, it seemed to me illogical that a universe as complex and amazing as ours could just spring into being by itself. So I've never seriously doubted the existence of a God who created everything. But a God who loves me... that's a different matter.

Note: The following is written from a Calvinist's perspective. It is not meant to start a debate on whether or not Calvinism is true.

As someone who is a Calvinist and believes in predestination, I have to point out that isn't quite how predestination works. It isn't that some people want to be saved, but God won't allow them to be. The idea of predestination goes hand-in-hand with the idea of Total Depravity - that man is so depraved that he, by default, does not want to be saved, nor does he want anything to do with God. If God chooses to save someone, He then changes their heart; and only then does a person desire to be saved, or want to have a connection with God. The people who aren't "chosen" don't want to be chosen. If you have any desire to be saved, that is evidence that God has predestined you, and has given you that desire.

Keep in mind, there are many people who are predestined who don't "feel saved" or don't feel close to God. But that has nothing to do with whether or not they're predestined. If they weren't predestined, they wouldn't care about being saved in the first place.

Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext