This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby fantasia » Apr 15, 2013 7:25 am

Winter keeps hanging on here too. We had a very lovely weekend with highs in the upper 60Fs and lower 70Fs. But I've been holding off on doing any more gardening because this Thursday another massive cold front is coming through and we're supposed to get another hard freeze. :( I'm very much ready for winter to go away. :P The one positive I keep telling myself is that maybe this means we'll have a much cooler and wetter summer than the past two years.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Maybe and maybe not. Here is your Climate prediction centre report for early April. Apparently the system changes each month. We've had our first really cool day today, with a maximum of 21C (70F). I can't believe it is still so cold and snowy in Kansas, which I thought of as a rather hot and dry place, something like in Oz. So much for that groundhog predicting an early spring. /:) ;))
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 16, 2013 3:25 am

The autumn in the south west of western australia has been very humid which is most unusual actually.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm

Humidity? Ugh! That's one thing I'm grateful for - summers here are quite humid but the rest of the year usually is bearable.

I think this might be the coolest, snowiest April I can recall. Last year at this time we had mosquitoes, along with blooming crabapple trees and lilac bushes. This year we have...snow, with more on the way the next couple days. It's kind of funny when the local TV news anchors get excited about a day when the temperature is only 11F (6C) below average instead of 20F or more below average.

Not to mention there's a big bright yellow thing in the sky today. The sun, I think they call it. ;)) A rather rare sight this cloudy month. Maybe I'll get to see some stars tonight. :)

I like snow but I'm ready for some of those outdoor activities that are more fun in warmer weather, like bonfires, stargazing, and even camping.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 16, 2013 6:45 pm

IloveFauns wrote:The autumn in the south west of western australia has been very humid which is most unusual actually.

What time of year do you get most of your rainfall? Does this portend an early winter for you? By the way, there is another reaon for a lot of ice and snow this last winter up north. Apparently there is low sunspot activity at the moment.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

To misquote the old 60s song by Herman's Hermits ("I'm Henry the Eighth I Am"), second verse same as the first:

It's snowing out. I can barely see across the parking lot. Predictions vary significantly, but call for 3-11 inches of wet, heavy stuff by tomorrow.

Duluth, about 3 hours north of here on the shore of Lake Superior, may see an additional 8-15 inches. This would make it their snowiest April on record, breaking the record of 31.6 inches set in 1950. The city has already seen 69 inches of snow just since February 1. Let's go skiing!

All this rain and snow does appear to be improving the state's drought situation.

Some parts of Wisconsin, along with Chicago, have received lots of rain overnight and there are concerns about flash flooding.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 19, 2013 4:28 pm

It's raining, it's cold, and Further Down South, in the Snowy Mountains, around Thredbo, Perisher Valley, Tumut and Mt Kosciuszco it has been snowing - 2 months early for the ski season. We were wearing summer gear 2 days ago. First cold front for the oncoming winter? :-\
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Shoveled about four to five inches of the nice thick heavy stuff last night, then more of the same before leaving for work this morning.
I think I shall go have a word with a certain groundhog X(
Did have a curios meeting with a robin this morning while shoveling. He was hopping about my front yard, and did not fly away, even when I was within just a couple yards. He was not at all talkative, and was apparently rather put out at my presence. Since I was in a hurry I did not press the matter. After returning from work I noticed he was still in my front yard, but he seemed, well, "heavier" :-\ That is when I noticed that the little fellow was staying near an area of lawn that was already exposed by the thaw. It was also on the lower part of a small hill, and was being water logged due to the melt. This was forcing worms to the surface, only to be gobbled up by my plump feathered little friend. Whoever coined the phrase "bird brain" must not have ever watched this little genius. He must have known what was going to happen, and only needed to wait for the meal :ymapplause:
I certainly hope he gets a good rest with such a full belly.
The weather channel speaks of more storms on Sunday. Does anyone know how to prepare groundhog?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 19, 2013 10:04 pm

I've seen a few robins around of late as well; maybe they're wondering what went wrong this spring. ;))

11 inches of fresh wet heavy snow this morning. Unofficially, I think my area has received just about as much snow this April as we did all last winter (which was admittedly far below average).

Does groundhog taste like chicken? Maybe with the right combination of spices, such as sage, it might be tasty.
stargazer

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 20, 2013 6:01 pm

We got about 6 1/2 inches in the last storm. All after school activities were canceled.
stargazer wrote:Not to mention there's a big bright yellow thing in the sky today. The sun, I think they call it. ;)) A rather rare sight this cloudy month. Maybe I'll get to see some stars tonight. :)
I think you jinxed it since it was cloudy the next day. It was quite sunny today. :) We are supposed to get more snow tonight though. :P When is the last possible day to get snow, gazer?

I love snow but I'm ready for it to be gone. Or at the very least to have more sunny days. Personally, I think someone summoned the White Witch and it is her fault and not the groundhog's. ;))
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby stargazer » Apr 20, 2013 10:51 pm

It was sunny again today; I think everyone in town was out and about to celebrate. ;))

More local trivia: the Twin Cities set a record low temperature for April 20 this morning, at 21F/-6C, breaking a 125-year-old record. But even more worthy of bragging rights is the small town of Embarrass (once again!), which set the all time state record low for the date, at -14F/-26C. Not bad for a month after the spring solstice!

Oh, and another 2-6 inches of snow may fall by Monday evening. ;))

When is the last possible day to get snow, gazer?

The Twin Cities snow season extends to May 28. Hey, as long as we're doing this, what say we break that record too!
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 21, 2013 8:53 am

stargazer wrote:Oh, and another 2-6 inches of snow may fall by Monday evening. ;))

We are also looking at another round of sleet and snow that day as well. I'm thankful for the moisture but the selfish side of me is getting really tired of this. I just want to garden!

We have started setting some record cold temperatures with these late cold fronts that keep coming through. We're well past our freeze date now.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am

Yeah, a nasty frost moved through last night. Killed a lot of the flowers :( It was only in the low forties yesterday, with wind chills in the low twenties. Definitely winter weather ;))

It's beautiful out right now. Dazzling sunshine. . . but it's still cooler than it looks.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Apr 22, 2013 3:48 pm

The weather was chilly for the past two days, but today was just beautiful. It is in the upper sixties. It is lovely to wake up to sunshine filtering through the blades. There is a lovely breeze, the birds keep twittering, and our neighbour's windchimes (upwards of 60 in number probably) make a deliciously summery sound. What a nice change. I hope it stays!
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 22, 2013 7:31 pm

More snow falling as I type this. Only positive I can think of is that it will be sixties by the weekend. WEATHERMAN YOU BETTER NOT BE LYING!!!!!!! X(
It's melting as it hits the ground right now which makes for some mighty heavy snow. #:-s
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Still more snow, Puddleglum? Wow. We had three or so snowfalls this winter, which was a lot for us, but pretty pitiful compared to what some of you all are dealing with. ;))

Like many of you, we've been having unseasonably cold weather lately. ;)) Today was beautiful though, low to mid 70s, I think, and some nice sunshine with a light breeze. A storm system is rolling in tonight, however, which'll drop the temperature about 30 degrees F it looks like! :-o I'm not as keen on going back to such low temps, but as long as it rains I'll get by fine (plus, apparently, it's supposed to warm right back up again within the next couple of days). :) Even with all the lovely rain we've been having lately, it's still not enough to recover from the drought.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

PreviousNext