This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby starkat » Dec 04, 2009 2:42 pm

FencerforJesus wrote:Now this is something I have never even heard of in El Paso. We got snow twice in the same week. Monday it was about half an inch and last night I estimated almost a full inch. Monday it was gone almost immediately when the snow turned to rain and the only snow left here now is what the sun hasn't hit yet. And people talk about Global Warming. =))

I am seeing Facebook status messages saying "Snow Day!" It is soooooo funny to see down here!

I am enjoying the snow. It has finally dropped enough in my area that has begun to stick! Hurrah!
starkat

Postby polly plummer » Dec 04, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm in Ireland. It's raining here - again. It's not called the Emerald Isle because there's not emough precipitation to keep the grass watered. In fact it's been raining steadily for about a month now. Lots of places are flooding! Very sad lots of people flooded out of their homes and lots of buisnesses and farmers loosing their livelihoods due to flood damage. Everyone's rallying around trying to help out and fund raise though. It's nice to see everyone rising to the challenge and helping their neighbours.
polly plummer
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aslansothername » Dec 04, 2009 5:11 pm

So, I live in south east TX and we got snow today!!!!! I've never seen it come down this hard, and I've never seen it happen two years in a row!!! (It snowed about this time last year) So anyway I thought I would share some pics of the snow, and my dogs and I in it. Patches in my Australian Shepherd dog, and Honey is my Golden Retriever mix. Enjoy!!!

sorry that this one was blurry
Want to become an informed American teen?
http://www.t4at.webs.com/
aslansothername
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Well dow here about 4 hours south of San Antonio, we got a few flakes of snow and a lot of sleet, its about 35 F right now, supposed to find its way down to 29, but its finished percipitating :( I really wish I could've made the drive San Antonio.
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lostin1800 » Dec 05, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm in England and it is pouring down with rain, very windy and cold, extremely cold at night and at dawn. And as usual it only gets worse at this time of year(But other than that I love December)......
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnialover4 » Dec 05, 2009 1:54 pm

IT'S SNOWING IN PENNSYLVANIA!!! :D :D :D
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby hyaline12 » Dec 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Well, here in Alberta we are currently having our annual horrendous snowstorm, so I thought I’d stop by and post some pictures and stuff. It blew in last night - a bunch of roads are closed and there’s a severe weather warning out and stuff. There's a minor highway that’s just behind our property, and just beyond it is the major highway. This morning the snow was blowing so much you couldn’t even see the minor highway, never mind the major one.

ImageImage

The view from our front door. That drift on the right is at least a couple feet deep. And our back door window. My mom was laughing that people buy window stickers to make their windows look like that. We can’t even get out our back door, there’s so much snow.

See that huge mound of snow behind the swing set? Yeah, there’s a bright pink car under there somewhere.

Four of us were going to go pick up necessities such as milk and water, but our driveway’s chock-full of drifts that not even our hulking Suburban can get through. It cleared up a little this afternoon, so my uncle called everyone who lives near him and asked if they needed anything and he’d pick it up for them. (He’s nice.) My dad went with him. My brother has two steel drum gigs to play tonight, and he got stuck when he tried to leave for them, but I don’t think even the worst storm of the year can keep him from his drums. ;)
hyaline12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Dec 06, 2009 12:00 pm

lostin1800 wrote:I'm in England and it is pouring down with rain, very windy and cold, extremely cold at night and at dawn. And as usual it only gets worse at this time of year(But other than that I love December)......

That's what I imagine when I think about England: rain. :)
hyaline12, that's a lot of snow..! I wish it looked like that here, but no, just some powder here and there.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 06, 2009 7:10 pm

*drumroll*

As some of you may remember, I said a few posts ago that Nashua, N.H. (USA) where I live has had no snow (something that is very unusual for this lat in the year)! well, we have snow now! I don't really like snow, but it was just a small amount of anow, and it wasn't TOO cold! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby stargazer » Dec 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I tend to think of England as a rainy place too...

And, it is with a bit of pleasure I announce the season's first winter storm warning. (Though I think we're getting soft, when they issue a warning for a mere 4+ inches of snow - it is December, after all. ;)) )

And as is typical for this time of year, the storm will be followed by cooler temperatures (lows around 0F/-17C and highs around 10F/-12C) through the rest of the week.

I think we'll have a white Christmas. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Steerforth » Dec 07, 2009 8:36 pm

We're having similar weather, stargazer. Our beautiful "fall" officially ended on Friday with an absolute avalanche of snow that had me shoveling my driveway and sidewalk most of Friday night, and a big chunk of Saturday afternoon.

It is very, very cold right now.
"This is no thaw. This is Spring! Your winter has been destroyed. This... is Aslan's doing!"

SuntoryTimes
Steerforth
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » Dec 08, 2009 1:31 pm

*contemplates a trip to Alberta to see some snow* ;)

Actually, the snow arrived a couple hours ago, and though it's only an inch or so thus far, it's the winds that are making things interesting outside. To the south (southern Minnesota and Iowa), blizzard conditions are already being reported. The storm is currently centered in Colorado, so areas to my south and west (like Kansas and Nebraska) are getting the most action right now.

It'll rapidly move to the northeast, bringing over a foot of snow to southern Minnesota - and it's so flat down there that the accompanying winds (exceeding 40 mph/65 kph) will blow it all over the place. It'll then pass through Wisconsin (over 15 inches of snow expected), Michigan, and Ontario.

Temps will drop below 0F/-17C for the first time here this season, with windchills approaching -40F/C. Sites in Montana are already reporting windchills below -40. Those are respectible readings. ;)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Steerforth » Dec 08, 2009 3:42 pm

stargazer wrote:*contemplates a trip to Alberta to see some snow* ;)

The odd thing is, while we can have long stretches of severe cold, we don't get nearly as much snow as other parts of Canada. But, it usually happens this way. One or two huge storms a year, with a whole lot of nothing in between. It's good, though, because the summer was severely dry. Since we get very little rain, we need the snow to hydrate the soil.

The best part was standing in my driveway, watching the people who are too cheap to buy snow tires trying to navigate the ice-covered streets with their all-seasons.
"This is no thaw. This is Spring! Your winter has been destroyed. This... is Aslan's doing!"

SuntoryTimes
Steerforth
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 08, 2009 7:04 pm

luckly, we didn't get very much snow here, so it is almost all gone, but it is suposed to get colder this weekend and it might snow again! :(( (-| 8-} [-( :D
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Silvertongue » Dec 09, 2009 6:50 am

New Englander here...and the snow is REALLY coming down. :( It's supposed turn to rain later, which could mean ICE. !!! We are so not looking forward to a repeat of last year, when we had an enormous ice storm causing the power to go down for several days...Hopefully it doesn't get that bad again!
Image Image Image
Silvertongue
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 09, 2009 12:58 pm

yeah, Silvertounge! we are having the same weather! the snow is SO thick and heavy (I just was out shovling)!!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext