This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Sep 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Here its been raining really hard for a couple of days, which never happens here, so were all glad its happening hoping its the end of this horrible drought!
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian_Storm » Sep 12, 2009 11:50 am

I think we got a light shower here overnight, but otherwise it remains dry and boring. Some rain tried to work towards us yesterday, and my house (about 75 miles south of where I am at college) got rain, but the dry air held here and we didn't get anything.

However, since we have been on the edge of this weather system, we have had an abundance of cirrus clouds (the high, wispy ones), which have made from some awesome sunset colors.

Send me some of your rain, Aslans_Jewel! We are starting our forecasting game this coming week, and I want there to actually be something to try to predict!
"I have been asked by Aslan HIMSELF to gather more troops."
Narnian_Storm
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Sep 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Perhaps you could predict some rain for us! ;) Despite a wetter-than-usual summer we remain about 7 inches/17.75 cm short for the year, and our area is in a moderate drought condition (though 'severe' isn't far away!).

Weather fact, courtesy of our radio meteorologists: highs the last week or so have been 10-20 degrees F (5-11 degrees C) above normal (currently 70F/21C). With the accompanying humidity it feels like summer. Today was the 8th straight day over 80F/26C - the longest such stretch so late in the season in over 100 years - since 1891.

Fun stuff. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Sep 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Referring back a page, that's cool, stargazer, that you saw the ISS and Discovery through the clouds. :D The sight of the glow through an overcast sky creates quite a mysterious atmosphere, doesn't it?

TheGeneral wrote:I almost went into meteorology, but I heard that there's a boat-load of physics required (NOT a strong point for me lol)
That's pretty well my story, too. The vocation of meteorology fascinated me until I realized I had to take courses (such as physics) that were not my forté. :p (Same with marine biology.)

Oooh, you've seen the aurora borealis! I've only seen it a handful of times in my life, but there really are no words to describe its vivid and active magnificent and mysterious beauty. (Too many adjectives there, but it's so spectacular it seems one needs them all. ;) )

So glad you're getting rain, Aslans_Jewel!

And speaking of precipitation, we were making our way to try and pass the record for the longest dry spell in southern Ontario, which was set in 1938 at 26 days. Well, we didn't quite make it as the dry spell ended at 21 days (as of yesterday). Considering we had an extraordinarily wet July, late August and early September have been quite a shock. Finally we got some consistent drizzle today, although the dry, parched ground could sure do with a heavier steady rain. Thankfully over the next few days more is coming, as well as increasing humidity on Autumn's arrival tomorrow (at 5:18 EDT). In mid-late September, this humidity is quite rare, indeed. By the weekend more pleasant and realistic temperature arrive, hurrah! :)
johobbit

Postby Steerforth » Sep 23, 2009 3:40 pm

It's currently 92°F (33°C). That's an all-time high for September 23rd in central Alberta. I've never seen anything like the weather this summer. It's usually nice in the summer, but it's been absolutely perfect for five months solid.
"This is no thaw. This is Spring! Your winter has been destroyed. This... is Aslan's doing!"

SuntoryTimes
Steerforth
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 23, 2009 8:00 pm

It was about 80 degrees today although the first day of fall was yesterday :| It was humid and muggy, but nice! Suppose to be cooler tomorrow!
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian_Storm » Sep 24, 2009 5:34 pm

We started off the fall season with some thunderstorms yesterday! The great thing about it was that it came during our meteorology class. First rumble of thunder, my professor abandoned the math he was teaching us and we tracked the storm a bit. Not much, since it was small...but it was nice to hear thunder again. :)

Being on the edge of one of the Great Lakes, it has long been my desire to see a waterspout, which is similar in many, many ways to a tornado over water...but generally much weaker and caused by different atmospheric phenomenon. Last week, there were 2 within view from campus...and I missed them both. Again. :|
"I have been asked by Aslan HIMSELF to gather more troops."
Narnian_Storm
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Sep 25, 2009 4:21 pm

It worked! did you predict your storm, or did you forget, Todd? The way you said "...and I missed them both. again. :| " made me laugh, which I havent done in a while...
Anyway, Its just been cool and cloudy and dreary here lately, not cold enough to be cheerful, no matter what the sky is like, not hot enough to stay inside, I havent seen a star smaller than a peek of the sun in weeks, and its just one of those days that last for weeks where you feel like you cant open your eyes and you're not supposed to be awake, if ya know what I mean...You cant stay awake, but you dont wanna sleep either...
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Sep 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Welcome to autumn (or spring, if you live in the Southern Hemisphere)!

September has had an inordinate number of warmer-than average days, but a robust cold front is bringing things a bit closer to normal; it's now 50F/10C with lows approaching 40F/4C in the forecast. And just in time - our possible snow season begins tomorrow. :) (Even though only a few leaves have begun to change so far).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby stargazer » Oct 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Our dramatic change in the weather warrants a bump. ;)

The outer suburbs indeed had frost Monday morning, and the highs since then have only been around 50F/10C.

It's rained all day today, with more coming tonight and tomorrow. We really need it due to the drought. Some areas have reported close to 5 inches/12.7 cm today. The Twin Cities set a record rainfall for the date, 1.88 inches/4.8 cm, with rain still falling. (Much colder and it might be snowing heavily rather than raining ;)) )
stargazer

Postby starkat » Oct 09, 2009 12:07 pm

We just had a front blow through. :D I love the first few minutes just before it starts to rain. The wind is blowing, the temperature starts dropping and you can feel the wildness in the weather.

Keep in mind, this close to the Gulf Coast, the first major "cold" front in the season knocks us out of the 90s and into the 70s. ;)) So it isn't "cold", but it is colder. ;)) We still may see 90s again before the end of the year, but days like this are great. :D We only get to see a small handful of fronts this size. ;))
starkat

Postby stargazer » Oct 10, 2009 9:07 pm

*sends more cool weather kat's way*

It's fun reading about 90s this late in the season...this morning we woke up to the season's first snowfall - only an inch or two, and it was gone by afternoon, but it's a sign of things to come. And near-record lows are predicted for tonight (the current record is 22F/-5C for October 11). It's 33F/0C now and if the sky wasn't cloudy I'd guess the record would be a shoe-in.

Still, areas far to our south, like Omaha, got a lot more snow than we did, and the NLDS playoff game scheduled in Denver today was snowed out.
stargazer

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Oct 11, 2009 8:38 am

Its been in the 60s for a couple of days now, lucky for us cuz yesterday my scout troop and I moved around 2 tons of tiles 10 feet, and 1 1/2 tons to a dumpster 50 yards away, but that was by car, so it wasnt too bad ;) Im looking forward to sleeping in the hammock all day!
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby TheGeneral » Oct 11, 2009 12:02 pm

Snowed yesterday, it's only the beginning of october! 8-| lol
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Oct 12, 2009 9:12 pm

That sounds like a lot of work, Aslans_Jewel! Glad it was warm for you.

60F is just about average here for this date - but with up to 4 inches of wet, heavy snow today we didn't come close. Maybe by this weekend, if the forecast holds...I'd like to do a little fall color viewing before winter sets in!

Also, if your sky is clear tomorrow morning, check out Saturn's very close passage to bright Venus around 6:15 local daylight time (binoculars will help). Elusive Mercury is also nearby. For more, check out this page from SkyandTelescope.com.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Oct 13, 2009 3:45 am

It has been the same type of temps for about 3 weeks here. They finally said it gonna get hotter on the news yesterday.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext