This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Today it was 50˚ Celsius (122˚ Fahrenheit) at the end of our backyard. The maximum temperature yssterday for the entire state was 45˚ Celsius (112˚) at Ivanhoe, and a cool 44˚ Celsius (111˚ Fahrenheit) here in Western Sydney. Some snow does sound great. :D
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Jan 18, 2013 5:30 am

We've got snow in England. All pretence of civilisation grinds to a halt - chaos on the roads and railways.

You're quite welcome to our snow. I hate snow. X(
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jan 18, 2013 6:06 am

Yesterday was another sweltering Summer's day. 41.7 C in my part of South Australia. We weren't too far off of 50 C, in direct sunlight. I don't like hot or even warm weather. 25 C and sunny is about right for me. Today was a pleasant change, somewhere around 29 C.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby johobbit » Jan 18, 2013 10:07 am

Snow overnight! ♥ King_Erlian, you can send as much as you want this way. :D I revel in the stuff.

#:-s wagga and W4J, that is terribly hot, ugh. *sends some popsicles your way* ;)

stargazer wrote:I could send a little cold your way, SnowAngel! It's a balmy 8F/-13C here at the moment. A little Canadian cold air is coming for the weekend; highs on Monday and Tuesday are predicted to stay below 0F/-18C with lows around -10F to -15F/-23C to -26C. That's normally not all that unusual here but it's been several years since we've had a subzero high thanks to warm winters.

Similar for our area, except you're colder there, 'gazer.

Last night, as I mentioned above, we had some rather unexpected snow; the forecasters were only predicting a few flurries. Around dusk, they began to get heavier and fuller, and the entire evening was filled with the glorious white stuff swirling down as if in a dance. So absolutely gorgeous! It's cold, though—a good thing, as that snow should stick around and be added to next week ... except for tomorrow when a fluke warm day is dropping into our midst with a high of 6C/42.8 :-o with any snow falling tonight changing to rain tomorrow for a brief spell, then dropping much colder on Sunday again. Last night was quite nippy (around -15C/5F) and quietly hushed with the newly-fallen snow. And the air had that wonderful winter scent to it. Mmmm ...

My hubby and our youngest son are going skiing tomorrow. Go figure with that warm blast hitting us that very day. :P
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

It's become very cold here! This morning when I left for class, it was a chilly 16 degrees. I think it's supposed to get warmer over the weekend, but a cool down is in store again for next week.

No snow though :(
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 18, 2013 10:25 am

No snow and everything feels far more like spring. I think it's supposed to get colder or warmer; I'm not sure which. The weather is being so unpredictable. Last night it was really, really chilly out, but no snow here either. We haven't even gotten over 2" of snow over the whole winter season. :( I'm hoping we get at least one decent snowfall.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 18, 2013 1:12 pm

After being in the low 50sF/10C and 30sF/-1C for highs and lows, we are now up to 65F today and over 40F for the lows. (That would be a heat wave for Mr. Digs, Mr. gazer, LOTS, and some others here :D )
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby stargazer » Jan 18, 2013 4:28 pm

I heard that, Glimmie. ;)

It was an astounding 41F/5C here today, melting much of our snow. In 24 hours it'll be up to 40F/22C colder, with cold northwest winds blowing up to 50 mph/80 kph.

jo and Digs, I think this cold is coming your direction, if delayed a day or two. Though it may moderate a little in traveling your way.

wagga and Warrior, I have trouble even imagining temperatures like 50C - especially since that's close to 75C warmer than it will be here this weekend (more if you count windchills approaching -40F/C).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 18, 2013 6:51 pm

Yeah, on the news tonight they said that our highs on Monday and Tuesday will be in the teens, and night time lows will be almost zero. Chilly is the opportune word :D
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 19, 2013 3:23 am

How about we get the average of our two temperatures and than we would have decent weather.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Jan 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Which is what we happen to have here in Kansas today. It is 63F/17C outside right now. My husband and I packed up our baby and our dog and went for a long walk. Soooo gorgeous. It'll get cold again after today but today was super nice. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 19, 2013 6:01 pm

ILF wrote:How about we get the average of our two temperatures and than we would have decent weather.
That's a great idea. ;))

Ditto, Fantasia!! :D Even though I'm still hoping for that one real snow, I really enjoyed this spring weather. It was in the low 50's - I've decided that this is my favourite kind of weather, ever. There was no bite in the wind and it felt like spring. At afternoon/4 p.m. it was really, really sunny and lovely.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 19, 2013 10:58 pm

Did some errand running today with the offspring. Does the phrase "Bone Chilling" mean anything to anyone? We no sooner walked out the door, and quickly grabbed hold of the storm door lest it be yanked away by the wind. Granted the temps were still in the single numbers (F), but add the wind, with gusts up to 30mph, and it was approaching teens below.
The weather from the twin cities stations is saying just as windy tomorrow, with the temps never getting higher than zero.
I would love to hibernate, but we have more errands to run. I wonder how many layers I can wear, and still move my arms to operate the car?
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Jan 19, 2013 11:06 pm

I think January Thaw has hit (either that or it is the warm winter) I could go outside with just a sweatshirt today no problem... and our snow is melting rapidly :( Only about an inch left... Hoping there's more in Oswego...
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby stargazer » Jan 20, 2013 10:43 am

I hear the lake effect snow is expected to pile up in the usual places near the Great Lakes over the next few days.

I stepped out to look at the sky late last night and confess I've forgotten what a -20F/-29C windchill feels like. ;)) But it's only going to get colder the next couple nights, with windchills around -40. Ah, nothing like taking a deep breath only to have it feel like a thousand pins and needles poking your lungs! ;)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 20, 2013 11:10 am

Yeah, they said that everybody on the lake shore (Erie) is under a Lake Snow Watch, but I haven't heard how much they could receive. We've had really light snow showers here throughout the morning, but nothing that could even come close to sticking.
DiGoRyKiRkE

PreviousNext