This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby johobbit » Nov 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Lark wrote:These last few years the snow around here has been pretty puny.

Interesting, Lark. Are you in the north, central, or south? (No need to say, though, if you're uncomfy doing so.) Where I live (southern Ontario, Canada), it's been the opposite: our snow amounts have been a good bit more the past two winters than in previous, recent years. And since I'm a snow-lover, I am jumping for joy. :D

I hope it snows for you ... and Benjamin too!

Yes, TheGeneral and greenbird, it has been an odd fall season for us as well: November has been quite mild—in the 50s most days—unusual for our area. In fact, I heard on the radio this morning that it has been 162 years (!!) since downtown Toronto last had a November without any sign of snow—not even the teeniest flurry—and 70 years since the city's International airport (north-west of the city centre) saw no November flurries.

That is to change this week, though, as truer winter temperatures settle in. We're coming down from fairly consistent temps in the past month of around 12C/low-mid 50sF to good ol' familiar and more seasonable December temperatures of just above freezing during the day and a bit below freezing at night. The forecast is a mixure of rain and snow off and on beginning on Wednesday, and since I haven't seen my first snow this year yet, I am waiting with utmost anticipation. \:D/ Environment Canada is saying that because November was so mild, December might make up for it and be quite boisterous!

34C, IlF! That's too hot for me. ;) Enjoy the beach, though! :)

Fencer, how exciting! Enjoy it while it lasts. :D

stargazer, I always enjoy your descriptions of both your campfire and stargazing experiences. And yes, it has been fun knowing that, at times, we're seeing the same ISS pass. :)

Well, I was rather brave (or foolish ;)) ) and got up for the Leonid meteor shower on the morning of November 17th. My alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. and I was outside shortly after, bundled up and ready to see the meteors. They did not disappoint. We saw a variety from dim-medium to very bright and bold. Wonderful! And when the meteors weren't visible (we saw about 25 in the space of about an hour) the rest of the night sky was a joy to behold, as always. (*)
johobbit

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 30, 2009 5:32 pm

I was just looking at some of the recent posts, and it's kind of weird to think that some NWebbers are in summer weather, while others are in winter!

Currently, in my area, it's in the 40s (F), which is actually pretty warm for where I'm living right now (I'm away at college). I'm told that in January it gets as cold as 20 below (F)! We've got probably four inches of snow, and it's supposed to snow some more this weekend. It's funny, though, because since I'm at college we have a large variety of people that are used to different temps. Some kids are bundled up in winter coats, scarves, and gloves, while others (like me) are wearing light jackets. I've even seen some people not wearing jackets at all! I'm kind of weird, though...I actually like the cold!! ~o)
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Welcome to the weather thread, Fire Fairy. :) If you like the cold you'll find kindred spirits in jo and I, among others.

(Your post reminds me of my college days, in which a denizen of a more-southerly climate was spotted wearing a heavy parka in October, when it got down to about 40F. When we asked him what he was going to do when winter came, he asked in surprise, "You mean it gets colder here?" We didn't see him again, though it was a big campus and we could have missed him. As I recall that year had one of our more robust winters, with a number of days in the -25F range.)

Fencer, I think your area received more snow than mine in the month of November, which is pretty remarkable! We got mostly rain and only a few passing flurries, as November was among the warmest I can remember. Hard to believe it's almost December 1 and we haven't been anywhere close to 0F/-17C yet. *waits for the other shoe to drop* ;)

I enjoyed your account of the Leonids, jo. Alas it was cloudy here. However, we did have a special treat last Thursday evening, after our Thanksgiving dinner, which saw 15 in attendance. I had the chance to show the International Space Station with the shuttle Atlantis following about 15 degrees behind it to my brother-in-law, my 8-year-old nephew, and my 4-year-old great-nephew. They enjoyed the view, and it was lots of fun.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby FencerforJesus » Nov 30, 2009 6:07 pm

Fire Fairy, do you understand why some are having summer while most of us are having winter? If not, here's why. If so, this is for the other youngster here on NWeb that don't. Due to the earth's 23-degree tilt, at different times of the year, one hemisphere points closer to the sun than the other. The Northern Hemisphere is currently angled away from the sun, so many of the sun's rays deflect off the atmosphere before penetrating to warm the earth. But the Southern Hemisphere is facing the sun more directly, so they are experiencing summer right now. What baffled me was why they held the Summer Olympics in Sydney back in '00, when they were in winter.

Here in El Paso, the snow turned back to rain and it has been raining all day. But the temps are dropping now and it has been turning back to snow. My college closed for the afternoon, wonderfully timed after my classes were finished, and we'll see in the morning if school is cancelled or not. I certainly wouldn't mind classes being cancelled tomorrow.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Fire Fairy » Nov 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Fencer, luckily, I do know why! ;) (I better know it, being in college, or I'm in big trouble!!) It's just kind of weird to think about, since I've never left the Northern hemisphere, so I've never experienced the switch of seasons.

What baffled me was why they held the Summer Olympics in Sydney back in '00, when they were in winter.

:-\ =)) It never even occurred to me!! That's hilarious!!

Starkat, I've had similar experiences with my roommates. Two are from Cali, and one is from Southern Utah. They and several others were complaining about the cold when it reached the 50s (F)! :-\ :p Then, a couple of weeks ago, it went back up to the 40s (F), and they were commenting on how nice it was!! ;))
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FencerforJesus » Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Down here I have friends that complain when it gets below 70 or 80 degrees. I wonder how they'd survive anywhere outside El Paso. And being a Colorado native, I chuckle often. The most hilarious thing was when a friend of mine who is absolutely freezing at a hint below 80 decided to go to Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We told her to bundle up, spend 10 minutes in our walk-in freezer (at 10 below 0) and work her way up. During that time frame, my sister who was also at Calvin College would call from time to time and say "Heat Wave, it's -5 degrees". Good times.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Dec 02, 2009 9:58 am

Michigan has some great weather. ;)) When I visited the Upper Peninsula the joke was "11 months of winter and 30 days of rain." A friend attended university in Houghton the year they received over 300 inches of lake-effect snow. Whew!

Speaking of snow, it looks like we finally may get some next week as more-seasonal weather returns. Nearly every day in November was significantly above average here (our average daily high is now 30F/-1C). We'll be closer to that this week, and we're also getting all the clouds we should have had last month.

And it's time to start dreaming of a white Christmas...I posted the North American probability maps in the Christmas thread.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 02, 2009 1:30 pm

I live in Nashua, N.H. (USA)!
the weather here normally would be cold and snowy, but it has been only in the 50s and 40s tepurture-wise! I don't like snow, so I am fine with it, but the weather isn't normally like this is N.H. in December!
:D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby stargazer » Dec 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Our TV meteorologist this evening took great delight in displaying the statewide wind-chill chart, even though the readings (down to about 10F/-12C) were certainly nothing to write home about. It's just that recent weather has been so warm (November was the 2nd-warmest on record and saw less snow than we received today, which was only 0.1 inch).

I was out and about this evening and it was quite pretty looking at the Christmas lights with light snow falling.
stargazer

Postby Tiana » Dec 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Been a while since I've been in here.

It has been cold....well, cold for me lately. Tomorrow we have a forecast for snow. I am going to be amazed if it snows this early in the winter. It usually doesn't do it at all, but if it does it is usually later on in the winter. Anyways that is my big news.

We've been getting quite a bit of rain too which is very good, cause we were in a drought most of the summer.

Fencer, I am one of the people who thinks it is pretty cold if it gets below 70 degrees F. :ymblushing:
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.”
Tiana
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Wednesday Wonder (BC)

Postby starkat » Dec 04, 2009 7:53 am

SNOW!!!

For those who live in the lands where they see snow more than once every few years... ;) We usually don't see snow at all. We had snow accumulate last year for the first time since December 24, 2004. Before that, it was 1989. This year will be the first year it has EVER snowed back to back in the last 100 years of recording weather down here. Christmas Eve 2004 was so rare that they put a photo book together on it. This is also the earliest Snow has been recorded in this area.

We shall see what happens to the rain and snow mix currently falling as the temperatures continue to fall!
starkat

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 04, 2009 8:14 am

starkat: be glad you don't see snow a lot! it's really pretty the first few times, but after a while, it gets annoying and if you have to shovel it all the time, it is SO bothersome! :p New Hampshire (USA) is known for getting lots of snow, but this year we have yet to have any! yay! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby johobbit » Dec 04, 2009 11:45 am

;)) Liberty, I'm just the opposite. I love snow and thoroughly enjoy shoveling it. We're still waiting to see our first flurry here—so unusual for southern Ontario. *weeps*

stargazer wrote:Welcome to the weather thread, Fire Fairy. :) If you like the cold you'll find kindred spirits in jo and I, among others.

Yep! :D And yes, welcome to this thread, Fire Fairy (nice username, being somewhat of a fire/candle/campfire lover myself). :)

*chuckles at 'gazer's southerly-denizen-in-the-north story* ;))

Definitely most of you have received more snow this year than we have (see the second sentence of my first paragraph :p ). Ti, I'm glad you've had a good amount of wet weather lately.

stargazer, how special that you had the privilege of showing a few others (of all ages, cool!) the ISS and the Atlantis so close together. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see that sight.

Fencer, were your classes canceled for Tuesday? And that's a great idea: tell a southerner to ease down to cold temps by spending time in a walk-in freezer. ;))

And like Fire Fairy, I think it rather odd, too, to feel our cold climate this time of year whilst thinking of those in the southern hemisphere basking on beaches in the heat. Thanks to my love for the cooler temperatures, I'll take the former. ;))

300" of snow in the Houghton, MI area, 'gazer! Whoa! Niiiiice! After high school I was actually considering going to Houghton College: now I wish I had. ;) Thanks for posting those probability maps. They're fun to explore.

Ti wrote:I am one of the people who thinks it is pretty cold if it gets below 70 degrees F.

Heehee. You poor soul. :ymhug: Maybe I should knit you a shawl. :ymhug:

starkat, those are quite the statistics! Enjoy the snow :D and keep safe! And, when you're able, please send some our way. ;) Funny, it's usually you asking me that. ;))

Our temperatures have somewhat plummeted overnight, recovering from yet another mild-ish spell (9C/48F) to temperatures around freezing on a regular basis, woot! ... with a brisk wind. Winter is finally in the air. The weather folk keep on forecasting flurries, but they never come. 8-| Monday we might be seeing some, but with the track record, I'll believe it when I see them. ;)) We are heading up northwards this weekend, and I know they've had snow (although i don't know if any has stayed on the ground as yet). Hopefully we'll be lucky and I'll see my first of the white stuff. \:D/
johobbit

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 04, 2009 12:05 pm

johobbit: I am glad you enjoy snow and cold! I just can't stand being chilly..... :p
the weather yesterday was really warm! it was about 62 degrees!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby FencerforJesus » Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Now this is something I have never even heard of in El Paso. We got snow twice in the same week. Monday it was about half an inch and last night I estimated almost a full inch. Monday it was gone almost immediately when the snow turned to rain and the only snow left here now is what the sun hasn't hit yet. And people talk about Global Warming. =))

And yes, my Tuesday classes were cancelled. At least for the morning. Today is Dead Day so there were no classes to cancel anyway. So I am just sitting in my apartment working on my final projects (two due Monday night before Finals). But it sure if fun to watch classmmates and friends from El Paso who apparently have never seen a measurable amount of snow in thier lives.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Dec 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Enjoy your snow, starkat! (I'm reminded of time, a few years ago, when snow fell on Christmas Eve in the Rio Grande Valley. My parents were there so I heard some of the news about how rare it is).

We got a dusting of snow overnight, so everything is white. Rather pretty, actually, and no shoveling required.

But I think I'm getting soft. I just went out to get the mail and found the 9F/-13C windchill a bit invigorating. I suppose this means I'll need a coat when I go out and about tonight. ;))
stargazer

PreviousNext