This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 10, 2013 4:11 am

In Wa we don't even have daylight savings. Daylight savings didn't bother me much. To be honest If we have it or not I don't really care. A few years ago there was a huge debate about it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Sorry, IlF, I didn't know. WA is on a different time zone from the rest of Australia, anyway. I don't know if NT and SA have Daylight saving, either. Queensland doesn't, which is much weirder for the remaining 3 states which are all in the same time zone as Queensland. You leave Sydney by plane at 9.00 am and arrive at Brisbane at 9.00 am, having spent an hour getting there. But it is two hours difference the other way. The clocks don't go back here until 7th April.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh thats alright we use to, well we had a trial between 2006-2009 i think it was and everyone voted it out. I think the same thing happened in queensland.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mar 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Yes, SA has Daylight Savings. Not sure about NT.

I'm so sick of these endless days and nights of humidity. I live in South Australia, we normally only get dry heat (and the very occasional humid day). Also, it's Autumn, not Summer! Get a clue, weather! I too hope for a real Autumn and Winter this year.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby johobbit » Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Ugh, W4J, even hearing you mention humid days and nights makes me #:-s . Not looking forward to our July, which is typically such nasty weather throughout. :-s

Puddleglum wrote:Fresh snow, ( you never want to use the old stuff ;) ) would be brought inside, on a plate where the maple sap was boiled. They would take some of the thick leftover stuff in the kettle, and pour it on the plate of snow, and there ya go, instant treat for the kids. ( and some adults if any was left :(( ).

Oh yes, that is so popular up here in the Maple Sugar Bushes. Speaking of which, the weather the past couple of days has been just right for the sap to flow: above-freezing days with sun; below-freezing nights. Last year's March was a disappointment to many farms around the area as the entire month was far too warm. This year is turning out differently, thankfully. Yesterday and today were warmer, but tomorrow the temperature is dropping just enough to make it still feel like winter, yet not bitterly cold. The prognosis is for a fairly good maple syrup/sugar season this year. :)

With so much rain today, our snow is nearly gone :(( but March can bring some good storms yet, so here's hoping. Yeah, everyone's sick of the snow but me.
:p
johobbit

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 11, 2013 1:57 pm

Which side of Canada do you live in, johobbit? I expect the Eastern side in summer would be more like our South-Eastern seaboard here in Australia, though it is only in the Alps around Thredbo or in Tasmania that we get much snow. We do get some snow 50 km from Sydney, in mid-winter, but only for a day or two at a time.

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Yes, SA has Daylight Savings. Not sure about NT.
I'm so sick of these endless days and nights of humidity. I live in South Australia, we normally only get dry heat (and the very occasional humid day). Also, it's Autumn, not Summer! Get a clue, weather! I too hope for a real Autumn and Winter this year.

Well, the Northern Territory only has two seasons per year. The Big Wet and the Big Dry. So I doubt they would need Daylight Saving, anyway, since they are above the Tropic of Capricorn, even if they are on the same time zone as SA.

It is only March, not even Easter yet. It will be the Autumn Equinox next week, on Thursday or Friday. It doesn't really cool down until April, even May, even in Sydney. We should be getting more storms right now, as summer begins to break up, but I don't know what happens in SA. According to the Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre (Kakadu, NT), and also D'harawal people from the South Sydney area, there are actually six seasons throughout the year, not four. These seasons are determined by the behaviour of plants and animals, not by the month of the year.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Interesting bit of info there, wagga.

I'm with jo about humidity...it'll be here soon enough! I'll enjoy this weather while I can.

We too got rain, about 2 cm, on Saturday; with the corresponding snow melt there was some localized flooding, and very dense fog that evening.

Sunday evening brought a quick 6 inches of wet heavy 'heart attack' snow; the roads outside of town were quite treacherous with the thick snow falling and blowing across the highway. If it hadn't been for the reflectors placed alongside the interstate I would have had to make my best quess as to where the road was. A routine 20-minute rural trip took over an hour. But all is white outside, and quite pretty, if one can watch it from indoors rather than trying to drive in it.

And with our days about 12 hours long now, even the big snowfalls tend to melt away in a week or less, quite different than in the depths of winter when they're essentially permanent. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Mar 12, 2013 2:46 pm

johobbit. I was wondering if you have ever heard of tapping birch trees for sap. I watched a youtube video of someone doing so, and explaining how it was quite healthy.
Melting is starting here in earnest. We have the misfortune of living near the base of a hill, so there is plenty of runoff. Add to that the piles of snow melting on both sides of the walkway makes for a fun shuffle to the garage. It can be wet, slushy, or frozen solid, with a nice slippery sheen on top. Nice breeze right now, so I'm hoping that evaporation is eliminating some.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Mar 13, 2013 10:31 am

wagga, we are a ways east of the middle of Canada, but still nowhere near the eastern shores ... in southern Ontario. Our winters in the past were totally and abundantly snowy; in the last decade, however, the snow has eased up a bit, although we still get plenty, with last winter (2011-2012) being a rare and unpleasant exception.

'Tis interesting hearing about your country, wagga and IlF.

wagga wrote:These seasons are determined by the behaviour of plants and animals, not by the month of the year.

That premise is fascinating, and makes much sense.

stargazer wrote:the roads outside of town were quite treacherous with the thick snow falling and blowing across the highway.

Oh man, we can relate here. Such intense driving at those times, indeed. Very gorgeous, but, yes, from a window or playing in it, rather than from a car.

And with our days about 12 hours long now, even the big snowfalls tend to melt away in a week or less, quite different than in the depths of winter when they're essentially permanent.

Ditto! We can get some doozer snowstorms in March, but any accumulation doesn't last like it would in January. In fact, just this morning we have had very heavy flurries off and on. So pretty!

Puddleglum wrote:johobbit. I was wondering if you have ever heard of tapping birch trees for sap.

Interesting. I have not, though. We have a birch in our front yard (along with a large crimson maple). *considers tapping ;))

Our melting with all the rain on Monday was very significant. *weeps* There are scatterings of snow here and there and certainly lots of large banks from snowplows clearing in public parking lots, but for the most part, grass is visible in most places. However, I hear that aside from possibly getting a rain/snow mix on Saturday, more snow is arriving next Tuesday.
B-)
johobbit

Postby GlimGlum » Mar 13, 2013 10:39 am

More snow for LOTS, and heat for us in Southern California. After getting 1" of rain this past Friday-Sunday, we hit over 80F/26.7C yesterday and will get over 85F/29.4C today. :-o

Will start to cool off again by next Monday. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Mar 13, 2013 5:57 pm

85F/29.4C?? It is only March. I'd hate to see what Southern California weather would be like in a midsummer heatwave. :-o I'd say then that 27C would be a nice moderate summer day, but a bit hot for spring.

johobbit wrote:wagga, we are a ways east of the middle of Canada, but still nowhere near the eastern shores ... in southern Ontario.

Thank you, I expect there are mountains between you and the coast? I am trying to remember whatever geography I ever managed to learn at high school, which was years ago, I'm sad to say. :ymblushing: And I wasn't all that great at it, either. ;))

There were distinct weather zones, such as the Mediterranean climate, such as you get around the Mediterranean :p , Adelaide and Perth, California, I think, parts of South America and in South Africa. The eastern coasts and far inland are supposed to be Eastern humid temperate or something. Of course there are tropical climates such as in the South Seas or Queensland's eastern coast. There are deserts, semi-arid and polar climates as well.

I very much fear that I got lost on the North American continent somewhere in the badlands, long before I got to the Great Lakes, which really would have been interesting to learn about.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Soooo nice today. 70F :x It's going to be almost 80F tomorrow. But then Sunday and the rest of next week will be back to the typical 50F weather for this time of year. I'm ready to garden!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby IloveFauns » Mar 14, 2013 4:46 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Yes, SA has Daylight Savings. Not sure about NT.

I think the southwest of Wa got the hint it is winter, it has been stormy the past two days.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby fantasia » Mar 15, 2013 10:34 am

Today's predicted high is 84F. In fact, we may set a new record cause it's so warm for this time of year. But starting tomorrow reality sets back in cause it's gonna get chilly and rainy for several more days. I've opened the windows and sliding back door in my house to get some fresh air in while I can. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Such language! I'm shocked. ;))

Actually last year at this time we were also pushing 80F, but this year is much more typical...maybe 40F with over a foot of snow still gracing our yards.

This is the 5th-snowiest March on record here in southeast Minnesota, with about 25 inches so far. More is on the way, so it's likely to move up in the standings. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

We've had rather nice weather today. It's been nice and cloudy and moist (my favourite. . . makes me think of the Pacific NW). We took advantage of this beautiful weather by having a dinner of fish and chips at a local pub, and then driving around a goose covered lake.

Pity that we cannot see the comet. . . We looked for it last night. Skies were crystal clear except for a cloud bank going up to about 20 degrees (of course. . . )
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

PreviousNext