This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Music: Album Two

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Favorite Music: Album Two

Postby Courtenay » May 04, 2020 2:22 am

Talking of choral music, I heard this one on Classic FM (which my car radio is perpetually tuned to) a couple of weeks ago and was so overawed that I just had to sit and listen to the whole of it: Lux Aurumque, by Eric Whitacre. It's been stuck in my head — I kid you not — ever since (interspersed with other music, of course, but I just keep on and on coming back to this one). There's just something breathtakingly ethereal about it, I think. I love the way he uses dissonance, too, in just the right places so that it sounds right instead of clashing.

Here are the words and the translation — it's actually a Christmas piece, as you can see, but there's something completely timeless about it:

Lux,
calida gravisque pura velut aurum
et canunt angeli molliter
modo natum.

Light,
warm and heavy as pure gold
and angels sing softly
to the new-born babe.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Favorite Music: Album Two

Postby Courtenay » May 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Hope no-one minds me posting again, but a church friend just sent me this link — a recording of the Jewish priestly blessing, Num. 6:24-26 ("The Lord bless you and keep you"), sung in Hebrew to what musicologists believe is its original tune, reconstructed from markings in the ancient texts. It is just awesome!
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous