This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Makeup & Hair

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Makeup & Hair

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 03, 2009 5:17 am

Questions

Does anyone have any types on how to reduce cuts when shaving your legs?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby wild rose » Nov 03, 2009 9:04 am

I am sixteen and the only make up that i wear is a little lip gloss. I think that make-up is not very good for your face though i may be very wrong
I like my hair and am thankfull that God gave it to me though i can't say that i am obsessed with it. My hair is very greasy though and i have a rather hard time with it. Have to shampoo it rather often to keep it clean

IloveFauns you could try covering you legs with soap before shaving them, at least that is what my sister does
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Yeah thats what i did. I probalay shouldn't do it as hard though
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Nov 03, 2009 4:40 pm

IlF, I agree with wild rose that you should at least use soap. But actual shaving lotion is a lot better. Make sure your razor is new, old razors actually cause more nicks/cuts. When wetting your legs use warm water to avoid goose-bumps, and when you're done rinse in as cold as water as you can stand it since that will help control and bleeding from cuts.
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Lady Arwen » Nov 03, 2009 6:42 pm

IlF, my solution is simple: wax. I shave gently with a specific type of soap, since I'm allergic to most types in between waxings, if it is needed. Someone produces it locally though (alright, two hours away, but still...), so I'm not sure you could get it. I'll check and see if they have a website, if you are interested.
Lady Arwen
The Mermod

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 04, 2009 1:07 am

Ever that or i could still my brothers shaving cream or ask mum to bye me some.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 04, 2009 11:14 am

Definitely use shaving cream IloveFauns. But don't steal your brother's. There are a lot of nice scented shaving creams out there for girls. My Mom uses one for dried skin that I sometimes borrow and after I shave my legs are very smooth and I only get cuts if I press too hard.

On makeup: when I wear it, I always wear mascara because my eyelashes are white blond and it can be really hard to see them under bright lights. I usually use a cover stick in the lightest shade to cover up my various brown spots and then a powder to blend the cover up into my skin tone. Sometimes I do blush and lipstick for special occasions.

Does anyone know of pretty hairstyles for long hair? And by long, I mean I can sit on it long. It's also thick so it's really hard to put up.
I donated fifteen inches to LocksofLove three years ago and I'm going to donate again next spring, but for now I need something to do with it other than my one braid or hanging loose in the wind.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Queen Susan » Nov 04, 2009 12:25 pm

@daughter of the King:
There's a few different simple ones you could do:
French braid, plain braid, two braids, two French braids, pony-tail, half-back, a "flip through" pony-tail, an "inside-out" french braid, etc. Some are a little more complicated then others. :p Of course, all those terms and titles I mentioned won't help unless you know how to do it. :p I can try to explain a few of them if you want.
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby wisewoman » Nov 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Ugh, I wince when I think of people using bar soap as a shaving lather. Bar soap is extremely drying — and so is shaving. Itchiness is the only possible outcome :(

The best thing you can do to avoid cutting yourself while shaving is use a quality razor. There are so many good ones out there now. Yeah, they are a little more expensive and so are the cartridges, but sometimes you can get good deals with coupons. Get a good razor and you won't have to press hard.

Personally, I just shave with water and then rub a mineral oil/baby oil combination on my legs when I get out of the shower. I never have itchy legs, the oil absorbs quickly and doesn't stick to or stain my clothes, and all is well :D
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks, Queen Susan! I haven't French braided my hair in awhile, I should do it again.
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby ValiantArcher » Nov 04, 2009 2:18 pm

daughter of the King, this would still be a variation on braids, but how about a fish tail? ;)) I don't know---if you said it's hard to put up, then I'm sure you've tried a bun. I don't know how hard it would be to braid your hair and then pin it around your head in a coronet (or whatever it's called)? And this would be kind of similar to leaving it down, but how about pulling some of the front strands back and ponytailing or braiding them? I don't know...this probably isn't any help. :ymblushing: There's a reason I avoid this thread. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 04, 2009 2:58 pm

ValiantArcher wrote:I don't know how hard it would be to braid your hair and then pin it around your head in a coronet (or whatever it's called)?

I really like that look, and I have tried it, but my hair is too thick for the pins. So annoying! X( I need to find some larger pins.

ValiantArcher wrote:And this would be kind of similar to leaving it down, but how about pulling some of the front strands back and ponytailing or braiding them?

I've done that a couple times. I just don't have enough time in the morning to separate my hair out evenly. Maybe on the weekends............

ValiantArcher wrote:I don't know...this probably isn't any help. :ymblushing:

It's loads of help! I'll take all the advice I can get.
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 05, 2009 3:14 am

I used conditioner and got no cuts. I think i will keep using it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 05, 2009 10:54 am

I'm on a drill team. When we perform, we have to part our hair over the left eye and do our hair in a bun. We have these little wig pony-tails (hair on a pony tail holder) to put around our hair to help make it look nice and if we have short hair.

I have short hair (shoulder length) with some layers. My problem is some of the layers are too short to pull back into a pony tail. I don't really want to put bobby-pins all over my head so does anyone know of a super good holding gel or hairspray or things I could use to hold the layes back?
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Nov 06, 2009 2:38 am

Use both gel and hair spray. It seems to work better that way. For me anyway.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 08, 2009 1:48 pm

wild rose wrote:I am sixteen and the only make up that i wear is a little lip gloss. I think that make-up is not very good for your face though i may be very wrong

A lot of makeup isn't good for your face, but you can get some that is mineral-based that won't harm your skin at all.

I'm your age and have medium oily skin, so I find that my face needs a break from makeup every couple of days to prevent pimples.

Besides, as much as I like the makeup look it's good to natural sometimes.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext