This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Christianity, Religion and Philosophy, Episode V!

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Christianity, Religion and Philosophy, Episode V!

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 15, 2009 1:08 pm

220chrisTian wrote:
Pattertwig's Pal wrote: Mary agreed to have baby Jesus without convincing. However, she didn’t always get things right either. At times she didn’t always understand what was happening and tried to stop Jesus because she thought he had lost his mind.
I guess I'd like to know what you have in mind... :-\

I have a study Bible and it has a section about Mary. In the section it talked about how she said yes to God. It cited Luke 1:38 "Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word." Then, the section covered exactly what that meant to Mary. "It meant raising a child she did not completely understand. (Once during his ministry she came to take charge of Jesus, thinking him out of his mind.)" Mark 3:21 "When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, 'He has gone out of his mind.'" She and her sons didn't get any farther than the door though (Mark 3:31-35). Also Luke 2:48-50 show that she did not completely understand:
When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, “Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, you father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety.” He said to them, “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know I would be in my Father's house?” But they did not understand what he said to them.

I hope that clarifies. :)
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:Luke 1:38 "Here I am, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word." Then, the section covered exactly what that meant to Mary. "It meant raising a child she did not completely understand. (Once during his ministry she came to take charge of Jesus, thinking him out of his mind.)" Mark 3:21 "When his family heard it, they went out to restrain him, for people were saying, 'He has gone out of his mind.'" She and her sons didn't get any farther than the door though (Mark 3:31-35). Also Luke 2:48-50 show that she did not completely understand:
When his parents saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, “Child, why have you treated us like this? Look, you father and I have been searching for you in great anxiety.” He said to them, “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know I would be in my Father's house?” But they did not understand what he said to them.
I hope that clarifies. :)
Yes, it does clarify. Regarding wondering what you meant, I was referring to
At times she didn’t always understand what was happening and tried to stop Jesus because she thought he had lost his mind.
I wanted examples. I never connected Mark 3:21 with 3:31-35 because in the KJV it says "his friends [own people] . . . went out to lay hold on him, for they said, 'He is beside Himself.'" But it obviously mentions his mother and brothers in 3:31-35, doesn't it? My mom wrote a blog on John 2:1-10, demonstrating Mary's faith and trust in Jesus. And we have no way of knowing, but I think Mary may have been part of the female train that supported Jesus in His ministry [probably food, clothes, etc] in Luke 8:2-3. :)

220chrisTian wrote:Your post may not have intended to "crucify" me either but that was the result.
Saying even this wasn't exactly Christian, was it? I shouldn't have said anything, whatever I thought or felt, and I apologize. :(

MM: Others have asked whether they prefer someone with training but little heart or someone with heart but little training in ministry. I prefer heart to training. But the ideal situation is both. ;) What am I talking about, you ask? Would you rather hear a Christian with little training or an accomplished musician who isn't saved sing "Amazing Grace"? Does it even matter? I think it does! I would rather hear a Christian sing "Amazing Grace" any day, no matter what his or her level of training. At the same time, I think if a person has the opportunity to gain professional training, he or she should do so. Even then, God can use anyone to accomplish His purposes in ministry, no matter how much training a person has. A similar question has been asked in the ministry of preaching. Do people want a pastor with one or more theological degrees or a pastor who's filled with the Spirit? I prefer the latter. But the ideal is both. :)

EDIT
Fencer: I looked up some discussion of Satan's fall online. Many websites talk about it but few discuss the "when." Still, here are two links of interest. I think the first one is better. Both mention Job 38:7, positing that the angels were created before Genesis 1. ;)

The fall of Satan: when did this take place?
How, why, and when did Satan fall from heaven?
220chrisTian

Postby Mother-Music » Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

I wasn't crucifying you. I'm sorry if that's how you felt after reading my post. Your post may not have intended to "crucify" me either but that was the result. :(

220;
Please forgive me. :-o I totally did not intend for you to feel crucified...and my final comment was meant toward anyone who wanted to correct me...not focused at you, and I'm sorry it came across that way. I didn't feel crucified by you, but I certainly see how you could have read it that way. I'm really hoping for a lot of comments on this so that I can maybe come up with some thoughts that are better than my own about it and also explain the phenomenon I've just witnessed.

I was using your post as a springboard, and that's all...not directing that huge bunch of heart barf directly at you. I hope you'll take it the way I meant it, and be able to forgive me the pain I caused you.

I do have to say, however, that although I get what you are trying to say about your experiences in seeing people worship, we as Christians cannot base our doctrines and religious practices on only experiences. We have to base them on Scripture. I've seen almost all these people perform, and I am not necessarily arguing that you are wrong. What I'm trying to get at are the principles involved.

Having been somewhat Pentecostal in my religious practices at times, I am not unfamiliar at all with what you are pointing out. I simply find that I can no longer base my "worship" upon only experience. It has to be experience + Scripture.

mm
Mother-Music
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Black Glove » Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

FFJ wrote:I do believe the Isaiah passage describes how Satan fell to the earth.

I hate to have to say it, but this seems to me to be a case of bad hermaneutics. Where in the passage do we have an indication that it is even referring to Satan? In context, it is referring the king of Babylon. As much as I love tradition, I have to say hermaneutically that it is wrong on this point.

TBG
Whereof we speak, thereof we cannot be silent.
If God did not exist, we would be unable to invent Him.
The Black Glove
Moderator Emeritus

Postby wisewoman » Sep 16, 2009 9:26 am

Tha's funny, I just read that passage last night in Isaiah 14. I have an NASB study Bible with notes by John MacArthur, and he says that the king of Babylon was inspired by Satan to do the things he did and so the passage applies both to him and to Satan obliquely. The basis for this is Christ's words in Luke 10:18, where He says He saw Satan fall like lightning from Heaven.

I have wondered about this before because if Isaiah 14 is referring to Satan, why is Jesus also called the Morning Star in Revelation 22?
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby Gladius » Sep 16, 2009 11:25 am

Aaaagh! I just lost my whole dang post! X(

Let's see if I can re-collect my thoughts.

First off, Bravo for Mother-Music! You've said basically what I'd like to say if I had the time. Our church has basically the same philosophy as the document that created so much upheaval in your church, but we've never put it in words. If we did (especially if we singled out favorite old hymns whose repetition was to be eliminated) :ymsmug: we would probably experience the same kind of incendiarism your church has. Hopefully we can avoid that. The main focus of our services is the preaching; as to music, the pastor usually chooses two or three hymns that complement the sermon, and the choir sings an anthem that usually complememnts the sermon in some way. The only things that might fall under the category of special music are the prelude, usually played by the organist, and the offertory, usually played by the pianist--that is, myself. We don't have any rules about special music though; we are a small congregation with a LOT of young musicians, and any time someone wants to play or sing they are welcome to do so. We haven't had any problems with innaproppriate music that I know of, but, as I said, we're a small church, and things are certainly different in larger congregations.

As to talent/training vs. heart/spirit-filled-ness,

I'm inclined to say,
In spite of cliche--

"Both/And." Pardon my rhyming. But Just Sincerity doesn't cut it, folks. Any time we do anything for God, he expects us to do our very best. If I'm learning a piano solo for a competition, would God be more pleased with my playing a simplistic version of 'Jesus Loves Me' just because it's 'Christian,' or with my tackling Beethoven and putting my all into it for His glory?
Gladius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 16, 2009 11:32 am

The Black Glove wrote:Where in the passage do we have an indication that it is even referring to Satan? In context, it is referring the king of Babylon. As much as I love tradition, I have to say hermaneutically that it is wrong on this point.
I don't know the church's history of interpreting Isaiah 14 or Ezekiel 28 [fall of the prince of Tyrus]. But although I think one meaning is God's judgment of a historical figure, in Isaiah 14:12 for example, God says "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!" Then it describes the figure's proud desire to be exalted above God. In Ezekiel 28, was the prince of Tyrus ever "in Eden the garden of God" or "upon the holy mountain of God" [verse 14]? Was he ever called "the anointed cherub that covereth" [verse 14]? God says the figure was perfect until "iniquity was found in thee" [verse 15]. What was that iniquity? Pride! This passage, like Isaiah, seems to describe Satan's sin and fall from heaven -- another dimension/meaning.

wisewoman wrote:If Isaiah 14 is referring to Satan, why is Jesus also called the Morning Star in Revelation 22?
I used to wonder about this, too--in the opposite direction. I would ask myself why Satan was also called the "morning star." ;) This webpage gives an answer to just that question. It says Jesus alone is the morning star, Satan "is only a poor imitation," and surmises that the latter may have been the brightest or most powerful angel. :)

Mother-Music wrote:I totally did not intend for you to feel crucified...and my final comment was meant toward anyone who wanted to correct me...not focused at you, and I'm sorry it came across that way. I didn't feel crucified by you, but I certainly see how you could have read it that way. . . .I was using your post as a springboard, and that's all...not directing that huge bunch of heart barf directly at you. I hope you'll take it the way I meant it, and be able to forgive me the pain I caused you.
I completely understand. I see now what you're saying and I'm sorry for mistakenly taking it personally. :ymhug:

Mother-Music wrote:We as Christians cannot base our doctrines and religious practices on only experiences. We have to base them on Scripture. I've seen almost all these people perform, and I am not necessarily arguing that you are wrong. What I'm trying to get at are the principles involved. Having been somewhat Pentecostal in my religious practices at times, I am not unfamiliar at all with what you are pointing out. I simply find that I can no longer base my "worship" upon only experience. It has to be experience + Scripture.
In the last few days, as a result of this discussion, I told God I wanted to worship biblically. So, yes, it's beginning to dawn on me that I can't base worship on experience alone! ;) When I briefly looked up the word in a concordance, I noticed that "worship" frequently appears along with the phrase "fall down" or "bow down." So there must be an intimate connection in worship with humility, not necessarily of a literal bowing down [although we'll do that in heaven! :ymapplause:], but of a humble mind, heart, and spirit that desires to praise God alone. :)

Curious ... what are your thoughts on Daniel 3, when Nebuchadnezzar connects idolatry, falling down before his golden image, with musical instruments? ;)

LOTS OF EDITS =))
Gladius wrote:Aaaagh! I just lost my whole dang post! X(
I don't know what the problem is. The mods might. They're still working out some kinks. But my suggestion is to write your response in Microsoft Word or another word processing program, save the file, and then post it complete into the post box. To my memory, I've never lost a thread, but I use Word as a backup--just in case. :)

Gladius wrote:As to talent/training vs. heart/spirit-filled-ness,

I'm inclined to say,
In spite of cliche--

"Both/And." Pardon my rhyming. But Just Sincerity don't cut it, folks. Any time we do anything for God, he expects us to do our very best. If I'm learning a piano solo for a competition, would God be more pleased with my playing a simplistic version of 'Jesus Loves Me' just because it's 'Christian,' or with my tackling Beethoven and putting my all into it for his glory?
Good point! I also want "both/and" [see earlier post]. But we can't have everything we want, can we? ;) In those times when we don't get both, I look for heart. :) I've played Beethoven and Mozart in piano recitals, and I've played "Morning has broken." In the end, though, I'd still rather hear someone tackle something difficult for them that's Christian. ;)

Curious ... what kind of church do you attend? And what's the average attendance? I guess I'd like to know the same with others. I'm used to pretty big churches. TRBC [Lynchburg, VA], Calvary Church [Grand Rapids, MI], and McLean Bible Church [McLean, VA] all run at least 3000, maybe much more. Compared to these my home church [500-1000?] is kinda small. But I've been to churches that had less than 50 in attendance. I prefer big to small. I mean, isn't that what heaven will be like? ;) Yet the meetings I attend during the week run about 20.

All: Dr. Ergun Caner, President of the Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary in Lynchburg, VA, preached on worship in a 4-part sermon series called Houses of the Holy.
Ergun Caner wrote:What is the number one reason churches split? WORSHIP Not bad pastors, or fighting members. These issues may be symptoms, but the arena in which they fight is WORSHIP. Instead of avoiding the argument, or trying to get everyone to get along, Dr. Ergun Mehmet Caner attacks the issue head-on. In this four part series on Worship, Caner investigates the nature of worship, and the principles behind it. You will be surprised at the results of following the models of worship throughout the Scriptures.

I read the following in a book on missions last night:
W. Richie Hogg wrote:... the presence of the living God in the church through the power of the Spirit. The life of the church is no less important than its form or message.
So ... your thoughts? [Source: "The Role of American Protestantism in World Mission," American Missions in Bicentennial Perspective, ed. R. Pierce Beaver (South Pasadena, CA: William Carey Library, 1977), 354-402, 392.]
220chrisTian

Postby Gladius » Sep 16, 2009 7:23 pm

220, I attend Millville Baptist Church (SBC). We usually run about 70-80 people on Sunday mornings. I have visited larger churches, but I've never been a member anywhere else. My church is a second home to me--I've attended nearly every Sunday since nine months before I was born. :D I could probably learn to like a large church, but it would take some major adjusting. At my church, everybody knows everybody (and most are related at least three different ways). ;)
By the way, what does the '220' in your name stand for? Is it Galatians 2:20 by any chance?
Gladius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Mother-Music » Sep 17, 2009 8:01 am

220chrisTian wrote:In the last few days, as a result of this discussion, I told God I wanted to worship biblically. So, yes, it's beginning to dawn on me that I can't base worship on experience alone! When I briefly looked up the word in a concordance, I noticed that "worship" frequently appears along with the phrase "fall down" or "bow down." So there must be an intimate connection in worship with humility, not necessarily of a literal bowing down [although we'll do that in heaven! ], but of a humble mind, heart, and spirit that desires to praise God alone.

Curious ... what are your thoughts on Daniel 3, when Nebuchadnezzar connects idolatry, falling down before his golden image, with musical instruments?

I’m glad the discussion has given you motivation to found your worship on Scripture! ;)

What are my thoughts on Daniel 3? Well…my first thought is; why do you ask? :-\ An important point is being made in the passage, but the point has nothing to do with music. Almost all religions use music in one way or another (or eschew it as evil).

One fact that stands out from that passage and life experience is this: music is powerful. And because it is powerful that should clue us in to the facts that 1) God made it, and 2) it ought to be used for Him, and subject to His principles.

I am working on a study of “worship” and how it relates to the Eph. 5 and Col 3 Scriptures. When I have given it some time I will post it…

Good point! I also want "both/and" [see earlier post]. But we can't have everything we want, can we? In those times when we don't get both, I look for heart. I've played Beethoven and Mozart in piano recitals, and I've played "Morning has broken." In the end, though, I'd still rather hear someone tackle something difficult for them that's Christian.

You know, my point was that I don’t care whether a person has training—it’s not about training. It’s about these three criteria: 1. understanding of and desire to instruct and admonish from the pulpit with all that that involves; 2. True thankfulness in the performance of this act of worship with fruit that shows the heart (i.e., at least a modicum of preparation) 3. Humility…if you love the brethren, you will not insist on performing something that will not encourage them because you can’t stay on pitch or reach the high notes. Nor will you ask to sit in the choir without being willing to make the sacrifice of learning and preparing a unified, encouraging act of music. Not a perfect one. Just a prepared one.

It sounds lengthy, but it’s really pretty simple.

It’s puzzling to me, as I consider the people who have left our church over this with the above considerations: none of them had ever, ever asked to perform special music: not even “In The Garden” or “Beulah Land”. :-o They had been part of the choir. One of the couples was the couple who reportedly mentioned that they did not want to learn anything in choir, only wanted to sing. (mind you, NO ONE has behaved toward me in this in a Matthew 18 manner. NO ONE has been willing to speak to me personally about all this. What I know, I know only by reports from the pastor)

I love both these couples. I enjoyed them as people and members of our choir very much. The couple who said they didn’t want to learn anything NEVER SAID THIS TO MY FACE. Ever. They had left the choir several months ago upon the auspices that they had other ministries God was calling them to—which was fine with me. But they never gave me a chance to speak to their concerns at all. :ymsigh:

In fact, I felt that in all the church it was these couples that I had most in common with, and with whom there was a chance of building a more intimate relationship. Apparently I was quite deceived... :(

Unfortunately the only conclusion that can bring me to is that in all actuality they wanted to do what they wanted to do, wanted to have no strictures on it, and cared not a whit for pleasing God but only themselves—but also didn’t really want to do anything. (is it me, or does that seem dog-in-the-manger-ish to everyone? "I don't want it, don't know what to do with it, but you certainly can't have it or tell me what to do with it! [-( ) They just didn’t want to have rules put on that which they didn’t want to do. Pretty immature, from my perspective. Which made me really sad, because I thought differently of them both. I really wish I could talk to them about it, but as I said, I “officially” know nothing, so have no Scriptural basis upon which to approach them. :-??

Just as an aside: both Beethoven and Mozart were religious men who dedicated many of their compositions to God. So when you are playing their music, you are playing something that is Christian, at least in name.

mm
Mother-Music
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby RubyGamgee » Sep 17, 2009 9:45 am

Greetings, all! Most of you probably haven't met me. My name's Ruby or Dani and I'm still pretty new to Narnia Web. I was just poking around the Spare Oom when I noticed this thread! It sounds quite interesting, but I'm still working on catching up on reading and such.

For now, I'll simply introduce myself briefly. I'm a Christian, as you probably guessed. Recently I've taken an interest in theology and philosophy so you can understand why this thread was so appealing.

I'll try to finish up reading some more posts and then catch up later!

God bless!
blog | graphics | youtube channel
member of the Tenth Ave. North club
Keeper of the Secret Magic
1 Peter 3:15
RubyGamgee
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Black Glove » Sep 17, 2009 10:24 am

220chrisTian wrote:I don't know the church's history of interpreting Isaiah 14 or Ezekiel 28 [fall of the prince of Tyrus]. But although I think one meaning is God's judgment of a historical figure, in Isaiah 14:12 for example, God says "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning!"

Actually, "Lucifer" is simply the Latinization of the Hebrew for "bearer of light" (lux=light ferre=to do or bear). Medieval scholarship presumed that this word was a personal name and thus thought it was a reference to Satan, when the context gives little indication that this is the case. The interpretation, then, that Satan is being referenced here is, to my mind, a case of tradition rather than letting Scripture interpret Scripture. There is no indication in the text that this is the case, nor is it interpreted this way in the NT.

I haven't studied the Ezekiel passage, so I can't speak to it.

TBG
Whereof we speak, thereof we cannot be silent.
If God did not exist, we would be unable to invent Him.
The Black Glove
Moderator Emeritus

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 17, 2009 12:06 pm

Gladius wrote:My church is a second home to me--I've attended nearly every Sunday since nine months before I was born.
LOL! Great! Charles Billingsley, the worship leader at TRBC, said something similar recently. He was reared in Utah, where all the non-Mormons get together to have church. ;)

Gladius wrote:By the way, what does the '220' in your name stand for? Is it Galatians 2:20 by any chance?
Yes, Galatians 2:20 [and also my birthday]. I've loved this verse for years. Living it, though, has been interesting... ;)

Mother-Music wrote:What are my thoughts on Daniel 3? Well…my first thought is; why do you ask? An important point is being made in the passage, but the point has nothing to do with music. Almost all religions use music in one way or another (or eschew it as evil). One fact that stands out from that passage and life experience is this: music is powerful. And because it is powerful that should clue us in to the facts that 1) God made it, and 2) it ought to be used for Him, and subject to His principles.
I guess my point was that music isn't neutral. It can be used for good and bad, in most religions. Yes, God made music. He loves it! But as you said, it should "be used for Him," to glorify and honor God, "and subject to His principles." This is something you acknowledge but my generation, and some good friends, seem unable to. X(

Mother-Music wrote:Both Beethoven and Mozart were religious men who dedicated many of their compositions to God. So when you are playing their music, you are playing something that is Christian, at least in name.
Interesting. For Beethoven, I played something called "Not Fur Elise." It begins with the well-known music then segues into a modern [oh what's the word? #-o].

FYI: thanks for introducing me to some new smilies! ;)

Heart vs. training: some ruminations... [If I'm beating a dead horse, I apologize. This isn't directed toward anyone. It's just my thoughts. You're free to agree, disagree, add something, etc. ;)]
Cruden’s Concordance defines the heart “as the seat of life or strength; hence it means mind, soul, spirit, or one’s entire emotional nature and understanding. It is also used as the centre or inner part of a thing” [290]. God tells us that the heart is most important. [See my blog post “Where is your heart???”] It determines our motives. In worship and in lifestyle, God looks at the heart. A job well done is also important. God doesn’t want slipshod work. But if the heart is in the right place, the work shouldn’t be slipshod anyway. If we don’t care about a project or person, we’ll give a half-hearted effort. But if we care a lot, if the project or person consumes us, we’ll put our best foot forward, will we not? Maybe we’re not capable of some things—in the flesh. But in the spirit, there are no limits! Just look at Moses, a stammerer; David, a shepherd boy; Jeremiah, who thought himself a boy; and Peter, a liar and coward. God transformed each person [and many others] so they could do what He had called them to do. What's the cliche? “He equips the called.” And what did God tell Samuel about David’s brothers? “The Lord seeth not as man seeth, for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart” [1 Samuel 16:7]. :)

Some have lots of training. They can perform jobs well. But where is their heart? “Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? And in Thy name have cast out devils? And in Thy name performed many wonderful works?’ And then will I profess unto them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from Me, ye that work iniquity’” [Matthew 7:22-23]. These people did lots of things for Jesus. But it amounted to nothing. Why? They didn’t know Jesus. Their heart wasn’t in the right place. :(

I’m sure many of you are familiar with Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. In the following illustration, I have the 1995 BBC movie adaptation in mind. Many women in this movie can play the piano, some better than others. Elizabeth Bennett, the heroine, is a pure young woman who plays “a little” and doesn’t practice much. Her sister Mary is a snobbish girl who plays better than her sisters, but not as well as others because her family can’t afford the training. Mr. Bingley’s married sister is also snobbish but plays extremely well. And then there’s Georgiana Darcy, the sister of the hero Mr. Darcy. She also plays extremely well but she has a pure, humble heart. Who would you rather hear on the piano? I choose Elizabeth and Georgiana over Mary and the Bingley sister. Why? They have pure hearts, whatever their training. :)

Through the centuries, many Levites served as singers and musicians in God’s tabernacle and temple. I’m sure they had plenty of training. If they hadn’t, I don’t think they would have served where they did nor done what they did. But their training was just part of their service and devotion to God, recorded in the Psalms. God also looked at their hearts. And He wasn’t pleased with their temple service when they disobeyed Him. The same is true of the Levites whose job was to offer sacrifices because "to obey is better than sacrifice and to hearken than the fat of rams" [1 Samuel 15:22]. “I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell [savor] in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer me burnt offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them, neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs, for I will not hear the melody of thy viols” [Amos 5:21-23]. Why was God displeased with them and their service? What was their sin? Idolatry [v. 26]. So God punished Judah by sending them to Babylon as captives, and by destroying the temple service and offerings [Lamentations 2:6-7]. I guess He thought no worship was better than idolatrous worship. What did Judah learn in Babylon? To praise God and seek Him with all their hearts. We see the fruit of that lesson in Ezra and Nehemiah. But even in Malachi, God wasn’t pleased with Israel’s temple worship. They weren’t guilty of idolatry. This time, it was something else. By offering polluted sacrifices [1:7-14] and telling themselves, “What a weariness is it!” [1:13], they were treating God’s name with contempt. God always wants a pure heart that loves and seeks Him. And He wants obedience, the fruit of a pure heart. He wants us to love Him with all our hearts and put Him first. These are most important. If our hearts are pure, God will be pleased with our worship. If they’re not, no matter how perfectly executed a song, God won’t be pleased. Isn’t this what Psalm 51 is about? David offers “sacrifices of righteousness” [v. 19] only after he repents of his sin, knowing God wants “a broken and a contrite heart” [v. 17] instead of a polluted offering, i.e. if David had offered sacrifices without repentance. [See also Isaiah 1:11-15, 29:13, Ezekiel 33:31-32, Hosea 6:6, Micah 6:6-8, Malachi 2:13, Matthew 15:8-9.]

Food for thought ... how often do we pray before we begin a church service? Do we ask God to inhabit the praises of His people? Do we ask God to open His eyes and ears to us and accept our worship, our sacrifices of praise? Do we ask God to open our eyes to see Him, to open our ears to hear His voice? “Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise. Be thankful unto Him and bless His name” [Psalm 100:4]. How often do we do this? Do we thank and praise God at the beginning of each service for the opportunity to worship Him in spirit and in truth? For the freedom to be in God’s house? For who God is and what He’s done for us—every day? Or do we just jump in, when we begin each service, and sing a song or play an instrument? :(

Personal vs. corporate worship: some ruminations...
I don’t see it as personal vs. corporate. First of all, both are necessary to a healthy spiritual life. One without the other = X( Each Wednesday night, I worship with the senior adults at my church. They sing the old songs, which I know and like. They have vibrant spiritual lives. They know suffering and pain. They know what it means to trust in God. And what do they celebrate corporately each week? What God did for them as individuals during the week. Last week we remembered and praised Jesus for His healing touch to each of us. Last night was a little different. The sermon text was from Jeremiah, about God warning a nation, i.e. the US. Still, guess what songs we sang? The first was “Lily of the Valley”! The text? Song of Solomon 2:1, 5:10, Revelation 22:16. This is who Jesus is to each one of us. Through songs like “Because He lives,” “Something beautiful,” “The steadfast love of the Lord,” “Great is thy faithfulness,” “What a lovely name,”and “He touched me,” we corporately praised God for His character and beauty, and what He’s done for us individually throughout our lives. :D

Dr. Ransom: how do you define Gnosticism in the context of Christian music? :-\ You're not that fond of “In the Garden,” or at least don't want to hear it overplayed. Well, I don’t like “Who am I,” “Friend of God,” and “My Savior, My God,” just to name a few. There’s so much bad “Christian” music today: some CCM, alternative, rock, etc. “In the Garden” is saintly compared to much of this music! A person has to be really careful what they listen to. And guess what? Except for a certain Gaither video, I cannot remember the last time I heard this song in a church service! Nobody sings it anymore and I wish they would! The old saints aren’t passing down the faith [doctrine, music, the “old paths,” etc] to the younger generations. They’re especially not passing down the church’s rich musical heritage. And my generation is suffering spiritually because of it. The result is a pseudo-Christianity that doesn’t know what worship is, that probably cannot endure temptation or persecution when it comes. X(
220chrisTian

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 17, 2009 12:42 pm

220chrisTian wrote: I wanted examples. I never connected Mark 3:21 with 3:31-35 because in the KJV it says "his friends [own people] . . . went out to lay hold on him, for they said, 'He is beside Himself.'" But it obviously mentions his mother and brothers in 3:31-35, doesn't it? My mom wrote a blog on John 2:1-10, demonstrating Mary's faith and trust in Jesus. And we have no way of knowing, but I think Mary may have been part of the female train that supported Jesus in His ministry [probably food, clothes, etc] in Luke 8:2-3. :)

Now I understand the confusion: different translations. I can see why you didn’t connect those two parts. It isn’t very clear even in my NRSV although it does say family in the first part and has “Then” in the second part. If I am reading my German Bible correctly, it has verse 31 reading “Meanwhile, Jesus’ mother and brothers had arrived.” I took that to mean “during the time when Jesus was talking to the scribes.” Most of the time Mary does show faith and trust in Jesus, but she was only human and thus didn’t always understand what was happening. I just wanted to show that even the most willing people God chooses to use are not perfect.

220chrisTian wrote: A similar question has been asked in the ministry of preaching. Do people want a pastor with one or more theological degrees or a pastor who's filled with the Spirit? I prefer the latter. But the ideal is both. :)

The theological degrees need to be of the right kind though. Sometimes people who study the Bible intensely read it too academically and thus lose the true meaning. I read an article in one of my Brio magazines about Christian schools that aren’t strictly teaching the Bible. I’m afraid I’m not explaining this well, but I’m too lazy to go through the old magazines I’ve kept to find the article. I’ll do it however, if someone wants me to.

All of the discussion about singing / music in church reminds me of 1 Corinthians 12 and the talk about different people having different jobs / roles in the body of Christ. It seems to me that some people are trying to do different roles than the ones for which they were intended.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby 220chrisTian » Sep 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:If I am reading my German Bible correctly, it has verse 31 reading “Meanwhile, Jesus’ mother and brothers had arrived.” I took that to mean “during the time when Jesus was talking to the scribes.” Most of the time Mary does show faith and trust in Jesus, but she was only human and thus didn’t always understand what was happening. I just wanted to show that even the most willing people God chooses to use are not perfect.
Good point! :) That's true of all us humans. We don't always understand what's going on. But God knows and that's enough. That's what "Farther Along" and "We'll understand it better by and by" are about. :) You have a German Bible?! And you can read it?! So jealous! ;) I had one semester of German in grad school. Although I fell in love with the language [and some German food], I don't remember any German! :((

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:The theological degrees need to be of the right kind though. Sometimes people who study the Bible intensely read it too academically and thus lose the true meaning. I read an article in one of my Brio magazines about Christian schools that aren’t strictly teaching the Bible.
Excellent point! Some theology schools are teaching everything but the Bible. Others are teaching it wrongly [i.e. Fuller Seminary and its ilk X( ]. J. I. Packer addresses this issue in his book Freedom and Authority. So you read Brio? :ymapplause: I still remember getting monthly issues, c.15-20 years ago. ;)

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:All of the discussion about singing / music in church reminds me of 1 Corinthians 12 and the talk about different people having different jobs / roles in the body of Christ. It seems to me that some people are trying to do different roles than the ones for which they were intended.
Thank you! :ymhug: Why didn't I think of this?! ;) Some people can sing or play and some can't. Some can preach and some can't. Some are good volunteers and electricians and some aren't. Those who can't shouldn't. At least regarding music and preaching, there's nothing wrong with giving instruction to those who have natural talent [but need training], so they'll improve what God has given them. This means the church has to help people find their niche, their gifts. :)
220chrisTian

Postby Mother-Music » Sep 17, 2009 6:26 pm

I guess He thought no worship was better than idolatrous worship.

Very good point. Very. And one that I keep trying to make.

Do we ask God to inhabit the praises of His people? Do we ask God to open His eyes and ears to us and accept our worship, our sacrifices of praise?

Now, 220…I’m a bit confused why would we ask these things? There’s no reason to ask God to do something He already does…Scripture states His eyes and ears are always open and that He does inhabit the praises of His people…without being asked.

I understand your point: we do need to focus on God in unity, and not just engage in a thoughtless habit.

Well, I don’t like “Who am I,” “Friend of God,” and “My Savior, My God,” just to name a few. There’s so much bad “Christian” music today: some CCM, alternative, rock, etc. “In the Garden” is saintly compared to much of this music!

I am interested why you consider “Who am I” and “My Savior, My God” bad “Christian” music? Please detail what you find in these songs that is unscriptural or irreverent, or what it is that makes them “bad”?

mm
Mother-Music
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby FencerforJesus » Sep 17, 2009 9:53 pm

We've had this talk before. Songs like "Friend of God", "I am Free", "Who am I?", and "Take it all" have been disliked by several on this forum because of an apparent focus on self. The way I see it is this: if you are looking for something to be focus on self, you are going to find it. If you are going to go looking for something that is praisworthy, you will find it as well. Just because a song has the word "I" in it, that doesn't make it a self-centered song. If it is self-centered, it because a person makes it that way. But those songs were not written to be as such.

"Friend of God" was taken from two Scriptures: Psalm 8 (I think) for the verse, and John 15, where Jesus calls us friends. Yes there is a place to acknowledge that we are sinful people and to be humble and such, but that is not where God wants us to stay. The song "I am Free" is a celebration of where God has made us now. "Take it all" is a song of a journey from searching for something of value and all the author found was Jesus. The whole song is pointed to him and offering all we are (which is what God asks of us) to him. Yes, some of these songs are upbeat, but they were written for a younger generation. You can't witness to someone unless you speak to their language. That is what these songs do.

"Who am I" is a song about humility. Any reference to self was written to reveal how we pail in comparison to God, but how God claims us for his own. If anyone things this song is self-centered, they need to take a serious look at the words and not the word "I". It is prideful to say that "I am an adopted son of God, bought by the Blood of the Lamb"? Is it prideful to say "I am free from sin and death through Christ Jesus"? Is it prideful to say that "I will fear no evil...whom then shall I fear?" It is wrong for me to tell my Lord and Savior "Take all of me"? That's what these songs are saying. They are not 'bad' Christian music. They are worship. If they are not your cup of tea, that's fine. But that doesn't put us in a position to say they are not Biblically sound.

I will give another example of this. I mentioned him earlier, but there is a new rapper whose reach is growing. His name is Curvine and he is an all-out, hold nothing back believer in Christ. He uses rap music to reach this generation's youth. Now I will never listen to rap intentionally. I won't have any on my playlists, not will I turn on a radio station that plays it. But I have listened to this guy three times and he brings the Word. I have heard the arguments for and against mixing Christianity into culture. I used to not like the idea because it sounds like making Christianity fit into the culture, but this is not the case. Paul himself said that he had to become weak to the weak, just so that he might reach a few. If we are to minister to others, we need to speak their language. That doesn't mean go out and party with the drinkers, and therefore act as they do. If you want to reach a group of basketball players, go play basketball with them. If you want to reach skiers, go skiing with them. If you go to Mexico, learn Spanish (or use a translator). Curvine is reaching out to today's youth using a language they speak, rap music. He is not trying to mimic Eminem or other rappers. He is using a language that his audience can appeal to. That is also what a number of these other songs are about. They aren't meant for everyone. But they do mean a lot to the ones who they were written for.
Be watching for the release of my spiritual warfare novel under a new title: "Call to Arms" by OakTara Publishing. A sequel (title TBD) will shortly follow.
FencerforJesus
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext