This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Musicians' Café

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Musicians' Café

Postby MissAravis » Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm

Aaaahh... I still need to start on Hold My Heart. Every time I come to this thread I'm reminded of that :ymblushing:

here's my newest cover of This Is The End (If You Want It) by Relient K from their new album, it's a really beautiful song, probably one of my favs :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZzwCV6kDs
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 28, 2009 1:02 pm

Wow, that's really beautiful Kat!!! You did a wonderful job!! :D :ymapplause:
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby MissAravis » Oct 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks, QS! :) I'm so happy that many of the songs off of their new album use lots of piano. It makes it much easier to adapt ;))
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby winterlife » Oct 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Question: does anyone else on here write their own music?
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
NWtwin:Sleepwalking NWsibs:8
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Oct 29, 2009 6:41 pm

I only "write" really basic stuff for piano, and rarely write it down. ;)) I can't ever play stuff exactly the same way twice, though, because some of it (especially the left hand) is pretty much improvised. In general, though, it's really repetitive and uses the same chords over and over. It sounds pretty, but it's quite simple. My brother, now, is a real composer. :P He writes classical music. And I admire him. xD
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Queen Susan » Oct 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Ditto to what Kat said about music--though the stuff I compose is even more repetitive, and a lot simpler. ;)

That's awesomely neat about your brother, Kat! :p ;) My 17-year-old brother just "started" playing the piano today. He's figured out quite a few things! I'm a bit surprised at his progress. :D And he says he'll try to play and learn more... We'll see. He can almost play "When I Survey" with his right hand one note at a time. :D ;))
Queen Susan
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Whistling Welcomer

Postby MissAravis » Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Ooh, that's awesome, QS! I hope he keeps going! :P I just "started" playing the guitar like a couple weeks ago but I've only actually played it 3 different times now for 1-2 hours each. I'll never improve if I keep practicing that sparsely. ;))
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby winterlife » Oct 30, 2009 8:54 am

No you wont, Kat. ;) My sister wanted to learn guitar. I told her I would only teach her if she practiced. We didn't get down more than two lessons. She's still mad about it, but I keep telling her, "I warned you!"
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Oct 30, 2009 9:06 am

That's too bad about your sister...Lol! Well I really do want to do it! I just spend too much time practicing the piano and the harp :P I think over Thanksgiving since we're going out of town and I won't have my harp, I'll practice the guitar like crazy! :D
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby winterlife » Oct 30, 2009 9:19 am

Kat- Are you learning chords, or tabs, or notes?
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MissAravis » Oct 30, 2009 9:28 am

Basically all I know is what the strings are, :P and from there I figure out what the notes are by just experimenting. I'm trying to learn some chords, but they're a lot harder for me than just picking at individual notes. I don't even know what tabs are. :P I don't really have a teacher, except my dad helped me the very first time, and I've been on my own now. I definitely need more help from him though... ;)) I can hardly do anything.. hee.
MissAravis
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby winterlife » Oct 30, 2009 9:41 am

As a guitar teacher, I would gladly post a tutorial online if I had any idea how, but since I don't... ;))
Hoot Owl of NarniaWeb!
Relient K club member
avie and siggie by me
winterlife
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Tirian12 » Nov 04, 2009 7:59 am

YES!!! i found the thread... i started a thread which got closed on composition...
i really like composing, i write songs for my band and arrange themes for my cello quartet. my work in process at the moment is arranging the main theme from the Harry Potter moives for my quartet. it's sounding great and i'll post the finnished project (if possible).
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby -eliza- » Nov 04, 2009 8:48 am

I think I didn't post in this thread yet.

I play the violin and the piano. I've taken violin lessons since I was six, so more than 9 years now and I started piano 5 months ago, but I learned myself a lot on the piano before I started lessons, so I could skip piano book 1 and begin at book 2 of a Hungarian method. I am playing burgmuller etudes now, (if anyway knows them (Op.100))
I like composing to, on the piano, but I just thougt up 2 songs and they're quite simple... so.
My mum's a harp teacher. So I can play a bit harp, but I haven't got the passion to play the harp a lot.
So, that's my music passion
-eliza-
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 04, 2009 9:34 am

Hey MissAravis your version of "This is The End" was great! :)

I'm doing my piano grade 7 RCM this year as well as basic harmony. I hope to go all the way to grade 10; and if I get my grade 8, I can at least teach. That will handy to me in post secondary for I can teach to put some bread on the table. ;)
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Tirian12 » Nov 04, 2009 9:49 am

yeah, i really liked this is the end too. great song.
grade 7 RCM, nice! im probably about a 7 or 8 RCM for cello, im not really sure i've been out of the canadian system for three years now.
Image avie/sig by me
"The last enemy to be defeated is death." -1 Corinthians 15:26 http://www.youtube.com/user/voldythemoldy http://twitter.com/#!/voldythemoldy1
Tirian12
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext