This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Where are NarniaWebbers from?

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Where are you from?

North America
81%
South America
No votes
Europe
8%
Asia
3%
Australasia
6%
Africa
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 72

Re: Where are NarniaWebbers from?

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 28, 2011 12:55 am

I'm from Australasia, that is to say I am not from North America, either. :D I'm from New South Wales, Australia. The capital of that state is Sydney, and New South Wales is where you will also find a city called Wagga Wagga, on the banks of the Murrumbidgee River. Plenty of crows and bunyips there, but no werewolves. =))

New South Wales has the following emblems:

1. Animal emblem is the Platypus.

2. Bird emblem is the kookaburra

3. Floral emblem is the waratah. We are the Waratah state, and also in Australia we are the Premier State. Our coat of arms is held up by a lion and a kangaroo. People from other states call us the cockroaches. ;)
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Narnian_Archer » Sep 28, 2011 1:27 am

I'm from Russia in Europe. :)

Hey, wild rose, and De_De, I'm from Russia too - we should ALL meet up some time :p :p :p :p :p I believe we are the only Russians on Narniaweb.

And I believe for the moment we're the only ones from Europe, at that!

waggawerewolf27, Really?! Werewolves don't live in Wagga Wagga? I didn't know!! ( :p ) Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding =)) ;)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnia fan 7 » Sep 28, 2011 9:02 am

I'm from North America the United States and I live in the state of Ohio.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

Narnian_Archer you are forgetting Cherry_Cake and Lil Ani :p they're also from Russia :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby fantasia » Sep 28, 2011 12:20 pm

wolfloversk wrote:And I only now realize just how close their spelling is. I will never have trouble spelling Arkansas again. Same root word(s) I wonder?

Kansas is named after the Kansa Indian Tribe. Arkansas is also named after an Indian tribe, but the way they go about it is so complicated I can't explain it. :P ;)) It's on Wikipedia if you want to look it up. But the two states are NOT named for the same tribe and the similar name is complete coincidence.

wild rose wrote:I'm from Russia, Europe :)
I'm curious to know if I am the only North American who still thinks of Russia as belonging to Asia. (Don't kill me Russians. :P :)) ) I only very recently learned that Russia considers itself to be part of Europe and I did NOT know that prior to a couple months ago. It's certainly not what I was taught in school. :))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby skilletfreak291 » Sep 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I'm from the great USA, specifically New Hampshire :)

so am i! huh
Christmas is Coming so soon
[b]but we know the True Reason for the season
skilletfreak291
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wild rose » Sep 28, 2011 12:53 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:I'm curious to know if I am the only North American who still thinks of Russia as belonging to Asia. (Don't kill me Russians. :P :)) ) I only very recently learned that Russia considers itself to be part of Europe and I did NOT know that prior to a couple months ago. It's certainly not what I was taught in school. :))

what I meant is that I am from the Europian part of Russia :) I always considered Russia belonging to two continents :) (and no fear, we would never dream of killing you :) a large part of Russia is in Asia, so it's natural that people would think that )
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Edmund_The_Just » Sep 28, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm from southwest Germany, so Europe ;)
Edmund_The_Just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Miss Rosario » Sep 28, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm from the United States. More specifically, the southwestern area of Michigan. :)

Icon by fireworks123
NW little sister to Windsong
NW twin to Rosie

"I don't run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet." -Nadia Comaneci
Miss Rosario
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Wandering Welcomer

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 28, 2011 3:47 pm

I always thought the same as wild rose... it just depends on which part of Russia you mean :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby PrinceCor004 » Sep 28, 2011 4:01 pm

North American, here! To be specific: the upper Northern area of Alabama. :)

And to clarify: we DO NOT all talk like Andy Griffith down here. :p Granted, there are those that do, but the majority of of Alabamians do not. ;)
Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)
PrinceCor004
Moderator Emeritus
Soundtrack Man of SO

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 28, 2011 5:43 pm

I don't know how it is overseas but in the US each of the 50 states has its own unique license plate. I don't know if there are specific rules for what colors each state uses as its license plate (for instance, New York's plate has been gold and blue for as long as I can remember). Most include the state motto or feature some famous aspect of that state.

For SnowAngel's and Scarlet Trefoil's home state, here's the Missouri license plate.

Here's Missouri in context of the US :)

Here's Ohio's license plate, where Digs and a few others are from :). The "Birthplace of Aviation" references the fact that Orville and Wilbur Wright researched and built the Wright Flyer there, although they flew it in North Carolina ;).

Here's Ohio in its place in the US.

Here's the home state of North Carolina (for both myself and another unnamed person who has already posted here, and who happens to be a Tarheel fan :P). The "First in Flight" statement references the Wright Brothers making the worlds' first ever powered flight there in 1903 at Kill Devil Hills out on the coast. Ohio and NC squabble about this stuff all the time ;)).

And where NC is on the big map.

Here's the license plate for Alabama where PC004 is from. :) Sweet Home Alabama, baby ;)). From what I've read in the past the motto "The Stars fell on..." comes from what was supposed to be a monster of a meteor shower from back in the 1920's or 1930's at some time. There were supposed to have been an untold number of sightings on that particular night and it reportedly looked like the sky was falling on the state, hence the motto. :)

And on the big map...

Here's Minnesota, where stargazer, TheGeneral, Louloudi, and a certain squirrlish mod live ;)). The 10,000 lakes comes from the fact that Minnesota has a staggering amount of lakes, probably well over the 10,000 listed on the license plate. They also have 10,000 times that in mosquitoes. ;))

And here's California where Super Kate and georgiefan1 reside. :)

They're way over on the west coast :)

Here's New Hampshire where Libbinator resides. :)

I rather like their license plate. Plus it references Bruce Willis' 4th Die Hard movie...Live Free or Die Harder. Way to go New Hampshire! ;))

Here's the ginormous state of Alaska's plate, where narnian_at_heart lives. I've always wanted to go but never gotten the opportunity. :)

And where it is on the US map.

And here's the plate for Illinois, where Princess Anna hails from. Almost 2/3rds of the state's population lives in Chicago, I'm told. ymwhisle President Abraham Lincoln's home state. :)

And where it is on the map!

Here's Nebraska's plate, where Arwenel currently resides :)

And their spot on the map, for the curious :)

And Texas, the Lone Star State. Texans are ferociously loyal to their state, which is big enough to be it's own little country, as those commercials used to say. This is where starkat and ChristProclaimer are from. :) Texans put their flag motif on everything. ;)

And where its located (as if one could miss it hehe)

And here's Kansas, which I would say was the flattest state in the Union, but in truth that's Florida. ;)) Fantasia_Kitty is from here, and on the back of her tractor you'd see a license plate that looks kind of like this:

And where Kansas is on the map :). Roughly dead center of the US. :D

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 28, 2011 5:59 pm

I'm from Australasia, more specifically the driest state in the driest continent - South Australia, Australia. The capital of SA is Adelaide. South Australia is one of the few states settled by free settlers rather than convict colonies.

South Australia has the following emblems:

1. Animal emblem is the Southern Hairy Nosed Wombat

2. Bird emblem is the Piping Shrike (similar to a Magpie)

3. Floral emblem is Sturt's Desert Pea.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Princess Anna » Sep 28, 2011 6:07 pm

SnowAngel, I'm glad you approve! ;)

SL, leader of the Mod Army, wrote:And here's the plate for Illinois, where Princess Anna hails from. Almost 2/3rds of the state's population lives in Chicago, I'm told. ymwhisle President Abraham Lincoln's home state. :)

*headdesk*
Okay, that's it! One of the next mod moots has to be in IL...
1) To kill this rumor about 2/3rds of the state living in Chicago
2) I'm sorta centrally located, so it's likely lots could make it
3) The more selfish/less important reasons: I iz poor and can't drive... and this way I don't have to worry about trying to make one. I'd be guranteed to attend! =))

Some Trivia about Me (trust me, it IS related to this topic)

I have lived in quite a few places in my lifetime... and oddly enough, they've all been mentioned in here! And yes, as if it wasn't clear enough already... I'm a "small town" midwestern girl, through-and-through!

1) Born in Missouri, where my extended family still lives.
-my parents were born and raised here
2) Around a year old through four and a half- Minnesota
-my sister was born here, when I was a few months from turning three
3) Four and a half through age twelve- Kansas
4) Twelve to the present day- you know where... :p ILLINOIS!

Ah, the joys of having a pastor for a father. ;))
Princess Anna
Moderator Emeritus
the Resident Troublemaker

Postby narnian_at_heart » Sep 28, 2011 6:37 pm

OK, maybe I missed it but there is no picture of Alaska's license plate. Is that just an accident? Or was that supposed to be kind of a joke as in "Alaskans don't have license plates because they all use either dog sleds or snowmachines"? :ymbringiton: :p

Alaska has two license plates. These were issued different years and there's a variation on the second one: basically just a different way the flag was printed one year was different from the previous year. All plates printed since 1981 are still valid if they are up to date (have the date stickers current in the corners)

And then there's this one which now, we see about as much as we see the above two. It's the 50th anniversary of statehood plate.

And then of course, there's any number of special plates for veterans, Alaska colleges (every college in Alaska has a special plate with the exception of one tiny Bible college), Iditarod, etc.

And also, the personalized plate. There are several you can get (including the regular gold which looks exactly like the first plate I posted, minus the flag in the middle and one with a caribou on it). The most common one, however, is the one below:

And now, you know more about Alaska license plates than you probably ever wanted to. :p
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Shadowlander wrote:(for instance, New York's plate has been gold and blue for as long as I can remember).

Actually it was changed within the past year I believe... So it's only been yellow for about a year give or take another year.

However before the white and blue plate I believe there was once another yellow and blue one, but that was long before I was born :P

Those are some pretty cool emblems Warrior 4 Jesus. The flower is especially interesting. (Have I ever mentioned that wombats are really awesome? I love marsupials)

I'm starting to run out of facts about NY... I'm sure I'll come across some eventually :P

Edit

Also I believe the old ny plate is still valid as long as you're car registration is intact, but when you get a new one (plate/car/etc.) it's going to be yellow... Actually I know it is because ours is still white :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

PreviousNext