This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Astronomy: Adventures in Stargazing

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Astronomy: Adventures in Stargazing

Postby johobbit » Jan 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Going a ways back, I was not able to locate either LoveJoy or ISON, in spite of all my tries. Ah well.

One of our sons sent me this link to 5 Top Sky Events of 2014, which is cool to read through ... and anticipate! :)
johobbit

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Those events all sound wonderful, Jo! One can only hope that I can be with some NarniaWebbers to observe some of them! B-)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Jan 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for linking that article, jo. Looks like there are some highlights to look forward to this year. Hopefully that LINEAR meteor shower will be a good one!

For those with solar viewers/filters, there's a huge new sunspot region coming into view: AR1944. Read more here.

Also, it appears a small asteroid, dubbed 2014 AA, may have hit earth in the Atlantic on New Year's Day. More here.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Jan 07, 2014 10:22 am

Even though it is bitter cold here, the sun is out today with white fluffy clouds floating around (very deceptive ;))) and I just popped out with my eclipse glasses to see the sunspots. It looks like there is a large one almost dead centre, then another smaller one just off to the left. Very cool!

Thanks for those links, stargazer!
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Jan 07, 2014 2:15 pm

Glad you saw the sunspots, jo! Encouraged by your report (and the temperature rising above 0F for the first time in about 62 hours ;)) ) I took the solar viewer outside just now to look. However, the sun was dimmed by clouds moving in from the southwest and I couldn't even see it through the viewer (it's too thick and reflective), much less seeing the sunspots. I hope to try again when the sky is clear.

The recent cold spell has put a bit of a damper on stargazing for me...resulting in a few very brief sessions. Besides, between the ice crystal fog, water vapor smoke from all the city buildings, and the normal atmospheric turbulence (which makes the stars twinkle), the sky isn't as glorious here as one might expect given the temperature and low dewpoints.

EDIT on January 8: the sky was clear this afternoon and I had no trouble spotting AR1944 as a dark splotch near the center of the solar disk. Nice!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Trusty » Jan 10, 2014 1:19 am

Although I'm probably less experienced than even the standard 'amateur' astronomer, but certainly no less keen, I'd like to report what a fantastic night it was recently on the tip of New Zealand, in the countryside of the Northlands.

I'm currently on holidays there, and as I've always got an eye to the sky I stepped outside our farm-stay at about 10pm, and witnessed a view I'd never seen so clearly (with the naked eye). The Large & Small Magenellic Cloud galaxies, I thought were real clouds in the sky. Jupiter was as bright as ever, three satellites crossed the sky in a period of 15 minutes, and although I wasn't familiar with the majority of stars/clusters that appeared (though my favourites stood out - the Orion constellation and Sirius), I'm sure I saw more than I had ever before. I felt like I was being illuminated from the light of the centre of the Milky Way, which faces this side of the world. The colours were amazing. Although it was a cold night and the insects were bad at the time, my only regret is that I wish I was better educated about what I was seeing!

Although I'm still travelling through NZ, tramping over the highest peaks, I haven't yet seen a sky like that (partly due to bad weather and/or a bright moon).

In February I'll be moving to Germany, and as interested as I am in looking at the northern sky, I think I'm really going to miss the Southern Hemisphere. It seems more exotic, less studied! Will have to invest in a good pair of binoculars when I have enough money to spare.
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Jan 10, 2014 8:28 am

stargazer wrote:EDIT on January 8: the sky was clear this afternoon and I had no trouble spotting AR1944 as a dark splotch near the center of the solar disk. Nice!

Yay! Really glad it was clear for you, 'gazer. :D

Trusty, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. :) What a treat ... to view the skies of the Southern Hemisphere, and in New Zealand, no less. Sounds like an amazing time! Someday, I would dearly love to visit down there.

Trusty, re the Southern Hemisphere wrote:It seems more exotic, less studied!

Well said! Have you ever been in the Northern Hemisphere before? It will be a treat for you to see that part of the night sky as well. I am eager to hear your reflections on it, when you can. :)

Sadly, clouds moved in at dusk last evening, and it was impossible to see any Northern Lights. Is there anyone here who had the privilege of viewing that wonderful spectacle?

(EDIT: btw, Trusty, I really like your signature!!! One of my dreams is to visit the Kilns. :ymdaydream: )
johobbit

Postby Trusty » Jan 10, 2014 1:05 pm

I have been in the Northern Hemisphere! UK, Germany & America - but I haven't really paid much attention to the night sky. Will definitely do so in February though, I'll have a year to spend in Germany. I've never seen Canis Major, for a start haha.

And thank you! The photo was taken without my knowledge by one of my friends haha but she edited it up nicely and showed me! It was definitely an experience, even Oxford itself is worth the trip over.
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Jan 10, 2014 3:10 pm

No Northern Lights were seen here last night, due to clouds. However, I did manage to snag the year's first Iridium flare before the overcast ruled.
(spaceweather.com reports that nothing extraordinary (aurora-wise) was seen from North America last night).

Welcome to the thread, Trusty! I just loved reading your post about the Southern skies. I really hope I can see its wonders someday.
stargazer

Postby Narnian_Storm » Jan 10, 2014 5:50 pm

I was quite disappointed not to see the Northern Lights last night, but have a great treat this evening with a complete 360 degree around the moon halo! I'm not sure I've seen one quite like this before. None of my cameras would be able to capture it though. Bummer.
"I have been asked by Aslan HIMSELF to gather more troops."
Narnian_Storm
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 11, 2014 12:02 am

Welcome Trusty. Hope the bugs didn't leave any lasting itches while you were out.
Did you by chance have a look at the Southern Cross while you were out? I do not know what is up during what season there, but I am told it's one of the more spectacular.
stargazer. I heard something, and was wondering if you can back it up for me. someone claimed that the solar flairs, when they cause the northern lights are also re-charging the magnetic field of the Earth.Have you ever heard that :-\
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Trusty » Jan 11, 2014 1:16 am

Thanks Puddleglum! The Southern Cross is always a bit vague in the sky, it's more of a landmark rather than an impressive sight - you can locate due south using its crux!

Orion seems to permanently be in our skies. Definitely the most obvious constellation. Does the northern hemisphere see it much?
Trusty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Jan 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Orion is a very prominent winter constellation in the Northern Hemisphere, Trusty, so it's out even as I type this. It graces our evening skies from roughly mid-November until it sinks into the sunset in May.

Puddleglum, I'd not heard about solar flares recharging the earth's magnetic field, and I wasn't able to find anything about it online. The solar wind and charged particles (especially from solar flares) do push the earth's magnetic field away from the sun, deforming its shape a bit; the auroras result when some of those charged particles get through the protective layer and are directed down the magnetic field lines near the poles. In other words, the solar flares are a bit at odds with the earth's magnetic field.

Glad you got to see the full lunar halo, Narnian_Storm. They're rather unusual in my experience as well.

Our recent warm weather (approaching 0C) means a lot of water vapor in the air this evening (haze and fog). The Moon is between Aldebaran and the Pleiades in Taurus the Bull, and while I was able to spot the star nearby, the Pleiades remained hidden in the glare.
stargazer

Postby The Old Maid » Jan 14, 2014 12:44 pm

A Hubble Telescope pic of the Tarantula Nebula:

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/ ... edium2.jpg

I posted:
"Children guessed, but only a few / And down they forgot as up they grew..." --e.e. cummings

A child would look at the sky and just accept that there are no words, and that that's fine.

Then they learn to clarify and classify, and the universe shrinks to fit their words.

At best they grow up to be Merry and Pippin calling a thing a "hill," a hasty word for something that has stood here since the world was shaped. Or, more likely, they grow up to be William T. Riker using the Creation as a pick-up line to meet women (referring to a starry sky as "Eternity never looked so beautiful" after which Miss Vash shot him down).

Anyhow, the pic came from a website called Bad Astronomy. I haven't heard of it before ... so am unable to give an intended audience range. All I know is that Wil Wheaton and William Shatner's comments are supposedly in there somewhere.
It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone
The Old Maid
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Well, I'm going to have to brush up on my Astronomy as I know very little. :P For our anniversary, my husband and I chipped in and got each other a very nice telescope. It finally came in last week and we spent a good portion of our lovely, clear weekend stargazing (or in my case, planet gazing ;)) ). I spent most of my time studying Jupiter. I'd say Jupiter was maybe a quarter of an inch in diameter. I could see two of it's red stripes, though I certainly couldn't make out the big storm. I could see four, maybe five, of its moons and actually got to see one set behind the planet. :D
My husband and his brother and dad stayed up long after I went to bed last night looking at stuff and they got some really good pictures of the moon just using my husband's cell phone camera aimed into the telescope. ;))
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1f8a4 ... sp=sharing

I believe our current zoom is 80x magnification. We're adding a few filters (including one for looking at the sun) and a 480x magnification lens to the "want" list in the future. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Jan 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Nice Moon picture, fantasia. :)

Glad you got to see some of the bands on Jupiter. The Great Red Spot isn't so red or prominent these days as it used to be so spotting it is more of a challenge. Some sites (like skyandtelescope.com's "This Week's Sky at a Glance") offer transit times for the GRS (when it crosses the center of the planet as seen from earth).

Regarding Bad Astronomy, I'm mostly familiar with the home page which I think of as a sort of snopes.com for a few astronomical hot topics (like astrology or the moon landing hoax). I've only read a few of the blog entries.

I made one of my all-too-rare early morning treks outside to stargaze this morning (unlike some here I'm not a morning person ;) ) and enjoyed a preview of spring skies to come. The Moon hung about a degree from Spica with Mars nearby while Venus, emerging from its solar conjunction earlier this month, adorned the eastern horizon. There was also a great ISS pass (almost overhead, shining at magnitude -3.2). But it's still winter here, and the wind chill of -38F/C chased me back inside all too soon. ;))
stargazer

PreviousNext