This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The thread for people who have Green Thumbs (Gardening)

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 10, 2012 4:28 pm

FK, I've been meaning to ask you a question. What kinds of tomatoes and peppers are you going to be growing this year?

Also, how did those poblano peppers turn out? (I can't remember if they were last year or the year before). I'm thinking about growing some this year.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Jan 10, 2012 6:23 pm

DiGs wrote:FK, I've been meaning to ask you a question. What kinds of tomatoes and peppers are you going to be growing this year?
Um... *shuffles through her seeds, notes, and receipts*

Tomatoes
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine Pink
Sun Gold (cherry)
Honeybunch (cherry)
Juliet (which I am convinced is the world's greatest tomato)
Early Girl
San Marzano (my one new variety this year (so far)... it's a sauce tomato)

Peppers
Green Chile (Hot)
Poblano (slightly toasty)
Red Thai (HOT!!)
Jalapeno (Kinda Hot)
Habanero (REALLY HOT!!)
Flavorburst (bell)
Whitney (a new-to-me variety that's basically a huge bell pepper)
Yummy Mix (also a new-to-me variety, it's a stupid name, but they're smaller sized peppers that taste like red, yellow, and orange bell peppers)

I tried to scale back this year, and I think I was successful with the tomatoes but once again, I have a lot of peppers. ;))

DiGs wrote:Also, how did those poblano peppers turn out?
I got one pepper last year, and it was quite tasty. Then we got record heat and drought the rest of the summer so the only peppers I recall getting were green chilies and puny little flavorburst bells. That was it. :P ;)) (And that was with stuff being watered every other day. It was just bad, bad gardening year last year.)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 12, 2012 5:16 pm

FK wrote:Juliet (which I am convinced is the world's greatest tomato)

What makes you say this?

FK wrote:San Marzano (my one new variety this year (so far)... it's a sauce tomato)

Sounds neat! Let me know how they come along!

FK wrote:I got one pepper last year, and it was quite tasty.

How did you cook one pepper :P? Because poblano's aren't that huge if I remember correctly. At any rate, they may be worth trying this year.

FK wrote:Then we got record heat and drought the rest of the summer

I know. . . I was there, remember :P
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jan 12, 2012 7:26 pm

The Juliet Hybrid tomato is a really good multi-purpose tomato. It's technically a cherry (measuring about 2" long and .75" across), so it's really prolific and can take the heat better than the large varieties. It's got incredible flavor so I eat them right off the vine or can them for my homemade spaghetti sauce. About the only thing it doesn't do really well is slice up for hamburgers and I've been known to do that anyways. ;))

Re: The Poblano. We didn't cook it. We ate it raw. ;)) Tastes like a slightly spicy green pepper. But they're not a small pepper, in fact, they're on the large side.
Image\

My seeds from Totally Tomatoes came today \:D/ . I'm hoping that my seeds from Burpee will arrive tomorrow. I'm sending my husband into work with the list of what tomato and pepper plants that everyone there wants so I can start planting next week. :D

We've got a new system in the greenhouse this winter. Last year we put heat lamps in there on a light sensitive timer so they'd turn off in the morning and on at night... worked pretty well. But this year, we've got our oil radiator heater out there and it has a built in thermometer. It's been keeping everything in there above 40F at night the couple nights we've tried it so.... :D We still need to insulate that greenhouse better though. It looses heat SOOO quickly when the sun goes down.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 13, 2012 5:06 pm

FK, those poblanos look amazing! I bet they'd taste SOOOO good if they were grilled in a little bit of olive oil with some salt and some red onions.

Those Juliet tomatoes sound great too. A little on the small side, but if the plant is really prolific, then that might not be a bad thing. Is it determinate?

I have to go and wipe the drool off of my face
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jan 13, 2012 8:07 pm

This is a picture of some of the produce I got in 2009. (That was GOOD gardening year :P ) All of the oval shaped cherries in both the plastic bucket and the wooden bucket are Juliet tomatoes. :P ;)) It's an indeterminate plant. I'm not a huge fan of determinate tomato plants, but I do usually grow one Early Girl each year for my mother-in-law, and I can see why cause it does produce REALLY early, which is awesome. :D
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Jan 13, 2012 10:58 pm

FK, I would have been more than happy to take that bucket on the right off your hands. ;)) Were those tomatoes that we had at your in-laws last summer the Juliet tomatoes? If so, I can vouch for you to everyone that they were DELISH. I could have eaten those all day long, lol.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Those look a lot like Romas (and yes, 2009 was an EXCELLENT Gardenng year. *sigh*). I might have to look into getting some of these. We have yet to recieve our Burpee catalog (it's still early) but I'll look into it.

I'm also thinking of starting a mini herb garden off the side of the house. This is something that Mom has been wanting to do for years. The area I'm considering using is usually pretty good at growing weeds (which is mostly what herbs are :P ), but it does get a good amount of shade. What herbs do you think would grow best in the shade? (I'm thinking that the area gets about 5 hours of morning to afternoon sun, but after 2ish, the sun goes behind a nearby tree, and doesn't come back out.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby fantasia » Jan 18, 2012 10:38 am

I about fell out of my computer chair today when I got a request from one of my husband's co-workers asking for 15 plants. Normally I get requests for 3-4 plants per person. I'm starting a small plant business without meaning to. :-o ;))

Without getting orders from some of my 'regulars' the past couple years, I'm up to 53 pepper plants, 12 eggplants, and 31 tomato plants I need to start in the next month. (That includes my own stuff btw.) *eeep!* ;))

DiGs wrote:I might have to look into getting some of these. We have yet to recieve our Burpee catalog (it's still early) but I'll look into it.
And Burpee does carry Juliets. Even if it doesn't show up in the magazine (and I don't know if it does or not, probably does), it's on their website here.

DiGs wrote:What herbs do you think would grow best in the shade?
Like you said, herbs are a weed, but I've had better luck with some than others. ;)) If you grow mint, be aware that it will take over everything if you don't keep it in check. I recommend putting it in a pot.
Oregano, Basil, Thyme, and Garlic all seem to do fine in the shade. Oh, sage is ridiculous no matter where you put it. *thinks of the other herbs her dad grows in their shady backyard* Lemon Balm, parsley, cilantro, dill, chives. Um... does that answer your question? ;)) [disclaimer]This is shady stuff in Kansas, which as you know, is a lot hotter than Ohio. :P [/disclaimer]
The only two I've ever had trouble with were Rosemary and Marjoram. As I never used the latter, I gave up on it. Rosemary I finally got to grow for me when I moved it into full sun, and then it did well.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Drat. Rosemary is the one I wanted the most, because A: it's expensive in the stores, and B: It's one of my all time favourite smells!!!

It is nice to hear that basil and oregano will do well in the shade. Dill is nice too.

I guess it's time to experiment with these things. It's half the fun, I know, but it also costs money :(
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby johobbit » Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am

fantasia from page 11 wrote:New-to-me things I'm going to plant this year ...
~Sunflowers ...

Ooh! :D We've planted sunflower seeds the past few years and they've done so very well (some are nearly 10'!) ... until they're in full bloom, when the myriad of squirrels in our very treed area converge on them and tear them apart. :)) It's so entertaining to watch, though! One time, a squirrel somehow tore off the entire flower (which is no small feat) and trundled off with it away down the fence. What a feast his squirrely family would have had that night. ;)) Aside from that interesting end to the flowers' lives, they grow well and are such fun to have; also very cheery. And they attract nuthatches, who enjoy hanging upside down to get at the seeds. I've always been surprised how thick and very strong sunflower stalks get to be when they're full-grown.

fk wrote:Pole beans (I've only ever grown bush beans)

We grew bush beans for years too. I've never tried pole beans, but we continually had much success with the bush variety, even with bunny rabbits around, who seem to eat mainly the leaves. Prolific, they are ... the beans, not the rabbits. ;)) Actually, they are too, lol. The only iffy thing about bush beans, and this isn't even a huge issue, is that daddy-long-legs like them—not to eat (I don't think), but to hide in the shade of their lovely leaves. I am not exactly a major spider fan. :P

wolf wrote:Maybe I should convince my parents to plant some more lettuce then ;)) I've ran out of rabbit attracting ideas.

Rabbits love the leaves of any tomato plant, as well as the above-mentioned bean leaves. Also, often when I plant either snapdragons or Dusty Miller, uh, they don't last too long, but it's so cute to see those furry bunnies reaching up on their long, hind legs to snap off the bloom with their strong teeth. ;))

(Btw, wolf, your sig is beeeaauutiful!)

*reads about fk's greenhouse with continuing interest and drools at her produce photos*
:D

DiGs wrote:I'm also thinking of starting a mini herb garden off the side of the house.

I've been wanting to put in an herb garden for a long time now (the scent, alone, as you walk past is awesome), yet just haven't pursued it. I've had a few different herbs planted from time to time, but I'd like to go all out. Someday ...

fk wrote:I about fell out of my computer chair today when I got a request from one of my husband's co-workers asking for 15 plants. Normally I get requests for 3-4 plants per person. I'm starting a small plant business without meaning to. :-o ;))

;)) :D That's great, fantasia!

EDIT: wifester, lovely to see you here. :) The others have given you good advice, so I have nothing to add, except ... when wee Sarah is old enough to help in the garden—even as a toddler—take advantage of that. ;)) We found it a very productive activity for the children, even at a young age, to help out in this area, whether it's weeding, hoeing, or harvesting (depending on their age, of course). And they quite enjoyed it too! Often, though, the produce made it into their mouths as often as into the pail. ;)) And I'm just as guilty there. ;)
johobbit

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jan 19, 2012 11:02 am

*pops in* I love reading this thread. Fantasia, all your posts make me drool. ;)) That's neat that you're planting habaneros! :O

Hearing all the good things that you said, Jo, about sunflowers, I think I might try get some seeds to plant them. :D *enjoyed reading your post*

I have a plethora of questions for y'all.... :ymblushing: :P
I was looking around totallytomato.com, and I was really impressed by their range of tomatoes and peppers. The only thing we have planted is cilantro, mint, and *I think* we have dill seeds, so I really want to get at least some kind of versatile tomato and jalapenos, since we use them quite a lot. The Early Jalapeno Peppers look pretty good on there and these hybrid jalapenos do too.This pack looks great, but knowing my amateur gardening skills, I don't know if I want to buy 16 plants of peppers yet. I might end up going with either of the first two. Question, though: can these be grown in the Zone 5 midwestern U.S. region? (right now, it's snowy and cold and frosty, so I'm just planning for spring. ;)) ) And if so, when should I start raising them in containers/planting them? And, last question, :P do they need anything specific like, a specific kind of soil, mulch, etc?

The other question I have pertains to tomatoes; like I said, I'm still beginning, so I just would like one versatile tomato plant, somewhere in the Medium-Large range, something like these Manitoba tomatoes. The line "ideal for growing in small spaces" caught my eye, because it seems like a good tomato plant to start with. Is it? ;)) Are they pretty in between with size, ideal for cooking or making into sauce/soup? The Delicious Tomato, though large, looks tasty. The Pink Brandymaster Hybrid is possibly on my to-buy list, but I also really like the Brandywine.
And, also, I remember y'all saying that tomatoes are very hungry plants. I had tried plant food on my tomato plant (got from those one-dollar-grow-with-the-dried-soil-provided-here burpee packs) in 2010, but I think I choked the thing because I kept it in a family-sized ice-cream tub for quite some time and fed it with this bluish plant food that had odd effects. The same plant food made our mint plant have much larger, tasteless leaves, too. Is there any other alternative or better kind of food? And is there some kind of soil? And, lastly, can these be planted in the midwestern/Zone 5 region of the U.S.?

For fruits, I thought these strawberries would be nice. Are they relatively possible/simple to grow? *hopes they are* I had purchased an Everbearing strawberry plant from WalMart at the end of summer, and it almost grew two fruits, but then died because of the frost and snow. Out of curiosity, will it grow back in springtime?

Thank-you in advance!!
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby stargazer » Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

...so I have nothing to add, except ... when wee Sarah is old enough to help in the garden—even as a toddler—take advantage of that. We found it a very productive activity for the children, even at a young age, to help out in this area, whether it's weeding, hoeing, or harvesting (depending on their age, of course). And they quite enjoyed it too! Often, though, the produce made it into their mouths as often as into the pail.

Just popping in on this cool (0F) January day to offer agreement to this. Ryadian's parents have long been avid gardeners, and we have fond memories of their children as toddlers helping out with the planting, weeding, and eating in the garden.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby wolfloversk » Jan 19, 2012 12:27 pm

johobbit wrote:
wolf wrote:Maybe I should convince my parents to plant some more lettuce then ;)) I've ran out of rabbit attracting ideas.

[color=#800000]Rabbits love the leaves of any tomato plant, as well as the above-mentioned bean leaves. Also, often when I plant either snapdragons or Dusty Miller, uh, they don't last too long, but it's so cute to see those furry bunnies reaching up on their long, hind legs to snap off the bloom with their strong teeth. ;))

(Btw, wolf, your sig is beeeaauutiful!)

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. I'm probably the only "Gardener" here that wants the rabbits in my garden.

Here's another question from me... I know others have asked it before, but are there any plants that are relatively small that can be grown indoors? Preferably fruits, herbs, or flowers. I live in NY and at college we have a nice window though at my house my room is rather dark, but I might be able to move them in the kitchen. But the smaller (and hardier) the better.

Thanks.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby fantasia » Jan 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:*pops in* I love reading this thread. Fantasia, all your posts make me drool. ;))
:ymblushing: Thanks ;))
... I really want to get at least some kind of versatile tomato and jalapenos, since we use them quite a lot. The Early Jalapeno Peppers look pretty good on there and these hybrid jalapenos do too.
The latter pepper that you linked is going to be hotter than the first one, but if you don't mind that, that's the one I would pick because it looks like it will be a hardier plant as well as more prolific.
And if so, when should I start raising them in containers/planting them?
Are you starting them from seed or ordering a live plant? If you're starting peppers from seed, you need to order them now and "start seeds indoors 8 weeks before planting outdoors". You'll need to google your typical last frost date for your area to find out when it's safe to put them outside. I think I usually wait until it's no longer dropping below 40F at night.
If you're ordering the live plant, they'll ship it to you when it's ready to go in the ground based on your zone.
And, last question, :P do they need anything specific like, a specific kind of soil, mulch, etc?
You can buy soil test kits from pretty much any hardware or gardening store. I've seen them at places like Home Depot and Wal-Mart before as well. They're super easy to use as long as you follow the directions, and it will tell you what kind of nutrient levels exist in your soil (phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium and pH). If you have too much or too little of something, the local gardening center can help you figure out what to add to it to balance it out. :)

I'm still beginning, so I just would like one versatile tomato plant, somewhere in the Medium-Large range...
When I see "small spaces" I immediately know you're looking at a determinate tomato plant. ;)) I think I've said it before on here, but I'll go ahead and say it again, a determinate plant will grow up, produce one set of tomatoes, and then die. That's why they're ideal for small spaces because they never get too big, and for beginners, that may be ideal. Indeterminate tomato plants (like the other three you linked) keep growing and producing all summer long and only die when they get hit by a hard freeze. If you don't keep them pruned, you end up with a massive bush that looks like this. ;))

And, also, I remember y'all saying that tomatoes are very hungry plants. Is there any other alternative or better kind of food?
This is a question better suited for my sister, but I'm gonna go ahead and add my own two cents anyways. ;)) I have never once given my tomatoes plant food. Instead, every year when I go to plant my tomatoes, I turn in a little bit of compost (specifically cotton bol compost... love this stuff) and that's it for the year. I think there is a tendency to overfeed plants, especially potted plants, but my theory is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. If your plants are coming up and look healthy and are producing well, it doesn't need plant food. ;)) Now last year I did have some pepper plants that at the end of summer were looking pretty light green/yellow and I should have given them fertilizer. I didn't cause I had planned on repotting them this spring but then I left them out during a hard freeze and killed them and that was that. ;))
In terms of your mint, again, Ara can correct me if I've got the wrong chemical, but when I see large super-green leaves, they're getting too much nitrogen. Nitrogen stimulates foliage growth, but reduces fruit production.
Are you potting your plants or are you planting them in the ground?

And, lastly, can these be planted in the midwestern/Zone 5 region of the U.S.?
Yes Ma'am. :) I have an aunt in Grand Island, NE and an Aunt and Uncle in Ames, IA, all of whom are excellent gardeners and have no problem growing tomatoes and peppers. :)

And in answer to your strawberry question, I"m not good with them, so I'll pass that one off to someone else, but strawberries can overwinter provided their roots stay warm enough. :)

Hopefully I didn't overload you with information, and good luck on your plantings this year! :D

wolf wrote:Here's another question from me... I know others have asked it before, but are there any plants that are relatively small that can be grown indoors? Preferably fruits, herbs, or flowers.
Absolutely. :) But that's outside of my area of knowledge so I'll poke my sister to see if she can drop by and give you some suggestions. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 23, 2012 9:11 am

Wow, it's been a while since I've been in here!!!

Jo wrote:Rabbits love the leaves of any tomato plant

Really?! That's incredible, because tomato leaves have an alkaloid toxin in them! Rabbits must have specialized enymes inside of them that helps to neutralize this toxin!

AITB wrote:but I also really like the Brandywine.

So do I! They make excellent tomatoes for slicing, and they get really big ;))

Wolf wrote:Here's another question from me... I know others have asked it before, but are there any plants that are relatively small that can be grown indoors? Preferably fruits, herbs, or flowers.

Here are my suggestions for indoor plants:

PLANT: Photodendron. This plant is nigh impossible to kill, does great indoors, has beautiful foliage (but no flowers), and is easy to clone should you want more. It has minimal light requirements, and is readiliy available.

FLOWERS: African Violets. They don't bloom terribly frequently, but if taken care of properly, they'll produce a good crop of flowers before dying off, and going through their life cycle over again. They do well indoors, just be careful not to overwater lest they drown.

HERBS: I've heard of people growing basil in their house, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes.

FRUITS: I really don't know about this one.

EDIT: FK, do you have any suggestions for good hardy spring veggies that could handle a bit of frost? I know that peas, broccoli, lettuce, and cabbage can handle a bit of cooler weather, but can you think of anything else? I'm thinking of something that could be planted late March, and perhaps be ready by early May.
DiGoRyKiRkE

PreviousNext