This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Where are NarniaWebbers from?

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Where are you from?

North America
81%
South America
No votes
Europe
8%
Asia
3%
Australasia
6%
Africa
1%
Other
1%

Total votes : 72

Re: Where are NarniaWebbers from?

Postby georgiefan1 » Sep 25, 2011 8:56 pm

I live in North America
The United States
California! :D
NW twin to Georgiefan! NW sib to 22!
avvie by AslansChild thank you!!!
georgiefan1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Nioniel » Sep 25, 2011 11:34 pm

North America! Canada! British Columbia! And I do not live in an igloo! And I have a shirt that proves just that. :P
HomeschoolersTakingOverTheWorldClub - PM to join!
"They know everything on NarniaWeb" - Ben Barnes
NW sis to 7 l Twin to SusanP3 l PM pal of A.Fowlfreak
Chief of Random Inquires for the Lurkers Club
Nioniel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Shadowlander » Sep 26, 2011 3:48 am

Lilygloves wrote:There's always good pizza and bagels. There's a lot of Italians here so basically any pizza place you go to has real pizza.

I did three years in New Jersey when I was in the Air Force. There are a few things I remember, pro and con. First off I must absolutely agree with the above statement! The food is astounding! The pizza is NY style and since NYC is so close by the pizza is pretty much among the best you'd find in the city. The Italian food is incredible, and everyone does it perfectly in NJ. I miss Wawa coffee and bagels ;)). The thing I'm kinda surprised LG left out that I feel needs to be mentioned are the numerous number of diners in NJ. In New Jersey diners border on being an art form, and the food is always wonderful. They're open 24/7 and have the best breakfasts on planet Earth. ;)) I gained much weight in New Jersey. :-$

The things I didn't like included "jug handles"...basically if you wanted to take a left at an intersection you get off on a sort of exit ramp on the right, and then hang a left onto the road you want just before the light you'd turn left at in the other 49 states. We also tended to dislike "wagon wheels", which are circular roadways. There's one or two I've seen in NC...I saw dozens in NJ and that was just around the base and the bit of Trenton that I saw.

And being from the south it was real culture shock at times, especially when you went to public places. If you're from the rural south it's not uncommon to greet total strangers on the sidewalk, be it giving a friendly smile or saying "Good morning!" to them as you pass by. You do not do this in NJ....no one does. Everyone tends to keep to themselves. It gets into one's system after a while too. When I came back from NJ after my enlistment expired I was in town one day and someone gave me a traditional southern "Hi!" as they walked by. I immediately stopped dead in my tracks and looked at them not knowing whether or not to expect a second person to bonk me over the head and take my wallet. It tends to sneak up on you. ;))
Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Shadowlander
Moderator Emeritus
This Space For Rent

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 26, 2011 7:23 am

North America -> United States -> Minnesota!! The state of lakes (yay), hockey (yay), and mosquitos (yuck). ;)
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby starkat » Sep 26, 2011 7:30 am

North America -> United States -> Texas... Not all Texans have horses or ride horses, but most of us love a good rodeo. We also don't all talk like John Wayne. The Texas accent is alive and well, just not as strong as stereotypes would have you believe. ;) (I do ride. I don't have a horse. I do have an accent. It's just very subtle unless I want it to be stronger.)
starkat

Postby ChristProclamer » Sep 26, 2011 10:27 am

I'm from the great nation of Texas, located between the US and Mexico. Yeah...

-Texan culture depends largely on what part of the state you live in. Since it's such a large state, there are a lot of diffent subcultures.
-Texas is the only state in the US that has the right to become it's own country, if it should so choose.
-Yes; Texans really are that obsessive about their firearms.
-Once upon a time, there were a lot of Texans here on Narniaweb. Alas, many of us have moved on.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Sep 26, 2011 11:13 am

Well, I am another North American. Specifically the USA, and Kansas. ;)

Since everyone else is posting some interesting tidbits about where they're from, I figure I should too.

~Kansas is as flat as everyone says. :P Except for the very southeast corner where the Ozarks begin.
~You can go your whole life here and never see a tornado with your own eyes. My dad just turned 60 and has never seen one before. I, on the other hand, have seen one.
~The primary agriculture of Kansas is wheat, NOT corn. This is apparently a very common misconception. While corn is grown here, we just don't get enough rain to support it without irrigation.
~You can always tell if someone is a true Kansan if they're asked to pronounce the name of the Arkansas River and they don't say it like the state of Arkansas. ;) (It's the 'AR-Kansas' River, thank you very much. Pronounced just like it's spelled. :P)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 26, 2011 11:59 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:~The primary agriculture of Kansas is wheat, NOT corn. This is apparently a very common misconception. While corn is grown here, we just don't get enough rain to support it without irrigation.

Where as in New York soils corn is one of the very few crops that thrive... though thanks to Irene and Lee it's not gonna be a good year this year.

~You can always tell if someone is a true Kansan if they're asked to pronounce the name of the Arkansas River and they don't say it like the state of Arkansas. ;) (It's the 'AR-Kansas' River, thank you very much. Pronounced just like it's spelled. :P)

And I only now realize just how close their spelling is. I will never have trouble spelling Arkansas again. Same root word(s) I wonder?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 26, 2011 12:44 pm

I suppose I could add myself to this. I am from North America, but more specifically, the state of Ohio.

Here are a few tidbits about my state:

- Most people consider Ohio to be a "Midwest" state, but culturally, we are much closely related to our eastern cousins, and like to group ourselves with other Eastern states.

- Ohio became a state in 1803. The first baseball game ever occured in my hometown of Mansfield (unofficially as things didn't become "official" for several decades)

- Ohio grows more soybeans than any other region in the world (I'm pretty sure). Our other majour crops are feed corn, and apples, but due to the rich soils, just about anything will grow here (provided that it can withstand the cooler temperatures)

- State Flower is the Carnation. State bird is the Cardinal. State Mammal is the White Tailed Deer. State Tree is the Buckeye.

- Speaking of Buckeye's, Ohio is the only place in the country where people eat buckeye candies. These candies are not made from buckeyes (which are poisonous) but are shaped to look like them. Here is a recipe for making them. We eat them all year round, but particularly around Harvest times and Christmas times.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Princess Anna wrote:2) Not all people that live in IL like the Chicago teams. Some of us prefer the St. Louis ones, like the Cardinals and Blues. ;)
Smart girl. ;)

North America -> United States -> Missouri!!! B-) I am a total Missouri girl! Just try to SHOW ME a better place. :D (Alaska is the only place that can compare with Missouri.)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Sparky » Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

North American here, United States to be more specific. We appear to be dominating this poll, but I just know we're eventually going to get a few Australians in here to rant about how not everybody in Australia wrestles a crocodile before breakfast. ;) :p
Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.
Sparky
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 26, 2011 9:05 pm

More facts about NY:

-Our state mammal is the Beaver
-Our state flower is the Rose
-They recently just changed our license plates design (frankly I liked the old one better)

The Adirondacks: Fun Facts and Cool Places

http://visitadirondacks.com/adirondack- ... facts.html

http://www.adkmuseum.org/

http://wildcenter.org/

The Natural History of NYC:

http://welikia.org/

http://www.amazon.com/Mannahatta-Natura ... 0810996332

Our State Capital: Albany, NY

http://albany.org/aboutalbany/FunFacts.aspx

http://albany.org/

State Flag:

Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Fara Swiftblade » Sep 27, 2011 5:56 pm

wolfloversk wrote:They recently just changed our license plates design (frankly I liked the old one better)

I'm a New Yorker too! And the new design is really ugly...I dislike the color orange.
Fara Swiftblade
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Fara Swiftblade wrote:
wolfloversk wrote:They recently just changed our license plates design (frankly I liked the old one better)

I'm a New Yorker too! And the new design is really ugly...I dislike the color orange.

Yeah and it looks too much like NJ's I think... I miss the old white and blue (they were even patriotic colors!)

Old plate:

New plate:

So tell me everybody, which one do you like better?
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby wild rose » Sep 28, 2011 12:07 am

seems like most everyone is from North America :D

I'm from Russia, Europe :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby De_De » Sep 28, 2011 12:33 am

I'm form Russia too, wild! Maybe we should meet some time :P
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

PreviousNext