This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor! THG SF

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor! THG SF

Postby Arwenel » Apr 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Francis Lawrence will be directing "Catching Fire":

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-04 ... s-everdeen
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby stargazer » Apr 29, 2012 3:24 pm

A few more thoughts now that I've read THG and seen the movie again:

I thought it was a good adaptation (especially compared to certain other recent movies ;) ), though there were a few nits that have largely been mentioned in previous posts.

The death of Rue actually had a stronger impact on me the second time, even though I knew it was coming.

I'm not really a fan of the shaky camera work, but I understand its use during the particularly violent parts of the movie. But using it near the beginning, when we were introduced to daily life in District 12, seemed more distracting than anything.

The guy sitting behind me jumped and kicked my seat when the first mutt showed up to attack Peeta

I had more opportunity, this time, to think about the dystopian aspects of the story, how a society would require the sacrifice of its children, normally seen as hope and promise for the future. In fact, afterwards I overheard others saying they didn't like the ending, because, in essence, the bad guys win. Sure, Katniss and Peeta survive the Hunger Games but the society itself seems unchanged. (I was reminded of other such stories, notably 1984, in which the bad guys win in the end.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Varnafinde » May 01, 2012 3:56 am

stargazer wrote:The guy sitting behind me jumped and kicked my seat when the first mutt showed up to attack Peeta

I jumped then as well, but because of the sudden sound, not really because of the visuals.

I had more opportunity, this time, to think about the dystopian aspects of the story, how a society would require the sacrifice of its children, normally seen as hope and promise for the future.

It's the Capitol (the capital) that requires the sacrifice of the children of the districts, not really seeing them as their own children. But dystopian enough even so.

I've seen fan fiction that seems (I only read the summaries) to treat this only as a game, for entertainment. They have missed the whole point ...
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Lady Haleth » May 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Has anyone listened to the album Songs from District 12 and Beyond? I really liked some of the songs on it. My favorites were probably "Tomorrow Will Be Kinder," "Nothing to Remember," "Safe and Sound," "Dark Days," "One Engine," "Daughter's Lament," "Kingdom Come," "Come Away to the Water," "Run Daddy Run," "Eyes Open," and "Just a Game." Come to think of it, I liked almost every song on it.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby puddleglum32 » May 16, 2012 9:22 am

I think my favorite book was the first one. I just couldn't put it down after part I. I think the movie was a little slow in the middle, because they kept showing the gamemasters control room. My favorite part was after Rue died the citizens of District 11 starting overthrowing the peacemakers there. Then it hit me, the U.S. could become like Panem one day. Not having "the Hunger Games," but having the government take away our freedoms.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stargazer » May 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Please note that this Special Feature will be closing on Thursday, May 31. After that time, discussion can continue in the Books and Movies thread.

Note that once we start receiving more-frequent casting and other information for the next movie, we'll be glad to reopen this thread for further discussion.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 24, 2012 2:09 am

Finished "The Hunger Games #2: Catching Fire". I found the story had enjoyable (er... that's not the right word), 'interesting' and thought-provoking moments like the original, especially in the last half but the rest was rather unfocused and dull. Suzanne Collins, if you have 250 pages of story, don't pad it out to twice as many pages. I hope the third and final book, "Mockingjay" is better.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » May 24, 2012 3:16 am

So... Robert Pattinson is a possibility for Finnick Odair. :P

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2012/ ... atching-f/

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lion's Emblem » May 24, 2012 5:13 pm

When the hype began for HG, I didn't know what it was, and I wasn't looking to jump on the band wagon just because of this. Howver, I became intrigued by the story when I saw a little blip on tv showing clips from the movie and became interested. Finished all three books a couple of weeks back (though not all at once in rapid fire :) ) and had the opportunity to see the movie a couple of days ago. Thoughts:

The first book is probably my favorite with the third being a close second. I found the second book to a bit dull and tedious (the second portion improved, but the first half felt like... a time filler). Favorite character? I don't have one really- there's not any particular person that I can really relate to, so they are all about even for me.

The movie was good, but not the most spectacular film I have ever seen. I wished there was more shot variety- I felt claustrophobic from the start with all the close-upsor extreme close-ups, I needed some breathing room. I wanted to see more of the life in District 12. Yes, there's glimpses of it, but I wish there was more hardship shown. In comparison though, I really like the extreme side of the Capital and the score that goes with it sets up the "other worldiness" perfectly.

I was more impressed by some of the techniques used with the sound design (i.e. when Katniss blows up the supplies and there's a ringing with all the sound being muffled or muted- for a second I thought I had gone deaf :) , which connects back to the scene in the book really well. I wish some of the scenes from the book had been more in depth, but I did like the fact that we see elements outside the games- Haymitch's meet and greet to get sponsers, the control roomn for the games (really sets up the idea of how the Capital controls everything), and the riot after Rue's death.

Big disappointment in the muttations. This was such a creepy scene in the book, but in the film there's not much explanation, so it's like they're just being chased by mad dogs. A bit of ho-hum in comparison to the book. The other thing I found disappointing was when Katniss and Peeta are about to eat the poison berries at the end of the games. It was much too quick when the announcer comes over the PA and tells them to stop. Come on, they've barely lifted the fruit. With all the attention on close-ups, I wish they would've actually placed the berries on or at least near their lips before they were called off.

All in all, I would read the book again as well as watch the film.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Varnafinde » May 25, 2012 5:13 am

I bought the first book and read it before the movie came out - liked it very much, very thought-provoking. I don't want to own the other books in the series, though, as they are getting even darker than the first one - but I do want to read them.

All the copies of the local library are on loan, and I've joined a list to be told when one is available. (I tried borrowing a French copy and reading it in French, but my French isn't good enough ...)

But in a month or two I should be able to continue reading. I've read as many spoilers as possible - with such a dark book, I prefer to have some warning. And with such a theme, it's only right that the book should be dark, and that even the main characters don't come out of their experiences unscathed.
Varnafinde

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 25, 2012 6:31 am

The Hungry Games themes are dark and disturbing but they have nothing on Stephen King (and he's not the 'worst'. Even The Lord of the Rings is more intense.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Varnafinde » May 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Possibly more intense. But they don't have the theme of children being required by the government to kill other children.

More intense, but less thought-provoking.

I have avoided Stephen King - even his books.
Varnafinde

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » May 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Stephen King writes many redemptive stories. The Stand is particularly good. He's often given a lot of bad press for content but unlike many other horror authors, he writes with purpose and a message. Fair enough if you still avoid him :P, and his works.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby stargazer » May 31, 2012 2:04 pm

Great discussion, all! Feel free to discuss THG in the movies and books threads...and look for the return of this thread (or a new one) as the movie version of Catching Fire approaches.
stargazer

Previous