This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby stargazer » Dec 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Glad you had at least a bit of a white Christmas, Digs, and hurrah for that snow coming your way. :)

Our Christmas was white, though that pile of snow we received earlier this month has compacted down to about 6 inches of hard, crusty white stuff. It's a silent night outside, with the stars and moon shining overhead. This morning our low reached 0F (-18C), the first of the season, so the snow's not going anywhere for a while.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 25, 2012 7:18 pm

@Digs, barely... it snowed this morning... left about two inches total on the ground... It shall probably be gone by tomorrow, but at least I got a white Christmas :)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 27, 2012 7:40 am

The snowstorm here was not as bad as everybody had predicted. Our area was supposed to get more than a foot of snow, but we only ended up with (what I'd estimate to be) about six inches.

I'm very thankful for this, as the plows and salt trucks should be able to handle that amount of snow, whereas a foot of snow on the roads would close the city down for a day if not more.

Either way, it's still very, very pretty :D
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby johobbit » Dec 27, 2012 5:13 pm

We received our first major winter snowfall last night—around 10" fell \:D/ and it's cold enough that it's going to stay for awhile. Now, I'm just hoping for around a storm per week or so through March, which will give us a grand ol' winter once again. :D

*looks back on the previous page* Oh, ugh, IlF, 35C sounds just so nasty. :ymhug: Hang in there: when we're having our summer, you'll be reveling in cold temperatures again.
:D

stargazer wrote:It's a silent night outside, with the stars and moon shining overhead.

Utterly lovely! (*)

Yay, DiGs, glad you got a nice amount of the white stuff! :D

For those of you who long for snow and don't have it, hoping you get a glorious snowfall soon.
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Been getting some regular snowfall, at least once a week now. Just got about a half inch, with possibly an inch, or two more by morning.
Actually hoping for a little more this weekend, as the offspring, and I hope to go adding to the larder next week. It's much easier to track with fresh snow on the ground.
Also hoping that the cold weather holds on for awhile. I'm looking forward to getting out on the ice, and pulling up some fish. Had some friends already out when it was too thin for my nerves. One sent a photo via-phone about three weeks ago. He was on four inches. My first question I sent back was " Are you nuts?" Of course my second was asking if they were biting. He had a northern pike, and a walleye he had just pulled up.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 29, 2012 7:03 am

Snowing again here today. The snowflakes are of the very fine variety, so that it almost looks like wispy, white rain. We're supposed to get 1 - 3 inches today, and the ground is already smooth and crisp and even again. All of the footprints, animal tracks, etc... are already covered up.

*dreamy sigh*
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby fantasia » Dec 29, 2012 9:49 am

We're expecting a typical Kansas winter storm on New Year's Eve. Even the snow lovers are typically fans of this type of storm. It starts off as rain and then turns to sleet/ice and then turns to snow. So the outside world more or less turns into one giant skating rink. I don't plan to go anywhere that day... :P Hopefully we won't lose power or anything, but if we do, we're prepared.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 29, 2012 10:28 am

*tiptoes in with fingers crossed saying there's snow on the ground and snow in the sky... and exits quickly before it stops... :D
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby stargazer » Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm

We've been under a gentle snow since Thursday afternoon, resulting in about 4 inches of light, fluffy snow - the kind that is easy to brush off and would blow in the slightest breeze. Fortunately we've been pretty much wind-free so far.

The sky has cleared in the last hour or so and tonight should get below 0F, with temps around -10F by New Year's Eve.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Dec 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Only 4" of ice, eep, friend Wiggle! Sounds like good fishing, though. ;))

DiGs, similarly here. It was snowing from before dawn this morning until early afternoon, with accumulating snow of about 4 or 5". 'Twas quite fine—much different from our larger dump on Boxing Day night. We were out shoveling this aft for a couple of hours, going around to neighbours' driveways as well, especially the older folk. And then the snowplow came by. :P So, more shoveling! ;))

Sounds like quite the storm, fantasia! Stay safe. If that happened a couple of weeks ago, we might have been stranded in KS. ;) B-)

Yay, wolfy! :D

Yes indeed, stargazer, winter is truly here to stay. Again I must say that I am so happy that it is not turning out like last winter. #:-s We have a total of about 16" now, with banks and drifts being much, much higher. Right now, as the sun is setting, there is that gorgeous blue-cold-weather glow to the air. Love it!
johobbit

Postby GlimGlum » Jan 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Don't see any snowplows around here, LOTS. I can see snow on the local mountains though. :D

We have been cold (for SoCal) at 35-36F/1.7-2.2C for the past 5 days with some showers or thunderstorms likely by tomorrow morning. We are a couple of inches below the normal rainfall so we can use it. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby fantasia » Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm

We actually got some snow that stuck on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Not a lot, but an inch or two. It's pretty much gone now except for a few bits here and there that are in the shade all the time. It was nice to get some moisture at least. :)

We're kind of having a few warm days here. It almost got to 50F today.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Indeed my good hobbit. I hope to see some thicker Ice when I go out myself. Of course The fish will most likely be all gone or just not biting by then.
Last two days have bee rather tolerable. Temps in the twenties, with little wind. The snow has been sticking around, but I notice some melting in the sunny spots.
Went out with the offspring looking for something to add to the larder yesterday. Had a good workout trudging through about a foot of snow. I wear military surplus boots for cold weather. Very warm, but also quite heavy, (not to mention a bear to get on webbed feet). Picking up one's feet in such conditions is not too rough, but I was reminded that fallen branches like to hid themselves, and found myself turned turtle with legs, and arms up. No harm done, save for my pride.
I see we can expect temps in the teens this week, but I hope the wind to hold off until I can get the Christmas lights, and such down.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 05, 2013 6:48 pm

If I told myself a year ago that it would be pouring in January in WA I would of never believed myself. The past 4 years January has had a small amount to no rain at all. IT is however humid, this reminds me of the whether we had when I use to live in queensland.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 05, 2013 9:31 pm

It must be dry most of the time in your summer then, right IlF?

50F fantasia! Sounds loverly! Break out the campfires and S'mores. :)

Tonight's local weather report included the statement that we're short about 8 inches of snow so far this season. Most surrounding areas echo this trend (it's the continuing drought). One of the more interesting results was Marquette, Michigan, which has received 49.8 inches (126.5 cm) so far but is still about 30 inches (76 cm) short for the season.

This upcoming week is expected to be unusually warm here, with highs above freezing! That might take care of the paltry snow amounts we have left. But fear not...the earliest models are calling for a storm next weekend that could drop a foot of snow or more, followed by winter temps we haven't had for a while (-10 to -20F/-23 to -29C). North of here could get those cold temps that give bragging rights...possibly -40.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 05, 2013 9:42 pm

It is usually very dry, no rain between mid December and march.It rains in winter mostly june to September. Today it was 31 degree C. (87.8 F ). so not too hot but humid.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext