This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby stargazer » Dec 09, 2012 7:26 pm

We could send you some, SnowAngel! ;)

10 inches here and still coming down. They're warning about potential power outages tonight as winds come up and tree branches and power lines may go down. It's going to get down to about 7F/-14C tonight with wind chills well below zero.

This brings us up to about our average snowfall for the season so far. Quite a change from last year's dry winter, when we got about 20 inches all season. ;))
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Aslanisthebest » Dec 09, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm almost envious, gazer! I'm undecided about feeling cold just yet, but I just don't feel like Christmas is two weeks away, and the weather is greatly contributing to that. It's been such an unconventional winter... I'm waiting for some snow so I can feel like it's December and so we can have a White Christmas! There hasn't been one snowflake yet, but it's been chilly around here.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby stargazer » Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm

The final totals are in: 13.6 inches (35 cm) fell in my little corner of the world, with some areas nearby exceeding 17 inches. My car looked like a big pile of white powder. ;)) (At least it wasn't the heavy 'heart attack snow' so it was easier to remove).

Traffic around here was horrendous; maybe we've forgotten how to drive in a real snowstorm.

It's already a balmy 0F/-17C and it's going to get a bit colder tonight before clouds move in and keep the temps from really dropping off. (Areas that were clear last night dropped down to about -10F/-23C.

Speaking of a white Christmas, Aitb, according to tradition I present some maps showing the probabilities for such an event:

United States

Canada

For Europe and Asia, scroll down here.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 10, 2012 11:58 pm

The whether hear is very much the opposite of those above, I wish it wasn't I feel terrible, I hate summer. It is about 35 c or something like that and so many flies hanging around outside.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby GlimGlum » Dec 18, 2012 10:55 am

Finally getting some wet weather here last week and this week. Over an inch of rain last week and maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch this week starting today. B-)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 18, 2012 6:01 pm

stargazer wrote:We could send you some, SnowAngel! ;)
I'll take it! :D But I'm afraid it would melt very quickly.

It's been cloudy here with some rain last night, but it's clear now. Been in the upper 50s. Looks like the coldest it will before Christmas is 37F on Friday.

40% chance of rain and 43F for Christmas day. I guess we'll have to wait until next year for a white Christmas. :(

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby stargazer » Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

I was down in Kansas over the past weekend. The snow line roughly matched the Minnesota-Iowa border, and it was much warmer in the Sunflower State than here (highs in the 50s and lows around freezing). It was fun watching Orion and the occasional Geminid in shirt sleeves rather than a coat. ;))

It looks like we 'threaded the needle' for our return trip yesterday: it's raining in northeast Kansas, with the precipitation transitioning over to ice and snow covering much of Iowa. Officials in that state are already advising no travel in advance of a storm that may drop 6-16 inches of snow in a band from roughly Des Moines northeast into Wisconsin. It looks like the Twin Cities is on the edge of this one, possibly adding only a couple of inches to the piles of white stuff outside - but virtually guaranteeing a white Christmas here.
stargazer

Postby Boy Scout » Dec 19, 2012 9:32 pm

We need some snow here in Chicago Land.

In English class today our teacher said we could get anywhere from 2 to 12 inches on Friday. It's great to be so precise :p
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Dec 20, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for that graph, gazer! Apparently where I'm at, there's an unknown chance of getting snow.... :P
The weather has been odd. I went out to check the mail and I didn't need my sweater. We have a high of 50, but apparently there's going to be snow. There is a forecast of snow before Christmas, so we may get a White Christmas.... probably not in time for our Christmas picture, however. Ah well, we'll see! I hope I'll see some snowflakes tonight!
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Supposed to get our first snow storm tonight and tomorrow! Our area is expecting 1-3 inches of snow, but some parts of Cleveland will get more than a foot of the white stuff! It's also insanely windy here (40+mph). That could mean some decent snow drifts (YAY!!!)

Hoping that the temp stays low enough to give us a white Christmas!!!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Dec 20, 2012 9:16 pm

It's a pretty impressive storm coming your way, Digs! Major delays and cancellations at O'Hare and other airports, as well as about 100 miles of Interstate 35 totally closed in Iowa and southern Minnesota - due not only to piles of snow but winds up to 50 mph blowing it around. Whew!

We were on the very edge of the storm here, getting less than an inch, but the wind is pretty stiff and lows tonight are going to be close to 0F/-17C with windchills below -10F/-23C. It's already that cold just north of here.
stargazer

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 21, 2012 7:38 am

Yeah, it looks like there is about 1.5 inches on the ground right now. We're told that we'll have 1 - 3 by the end of the day, and 2 - 4 by the time all is said and done tomorrow afternoon.

It's absolutely gorgeous. . . I'm not even sure that that word is strong enough to describe the beauty.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 21, 2012 8:27 am

If you or somebody you know is still worried about the world ending and want to go somewhere where the weather is nice and calm and peaceful to reassure yourselves.... don't come here :P

It's very windy out... tree limbs down, scattered power outages... though the rainbow's a beautiful sight... Our yard is littered with debris and no snow yet :(
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Aslanisthebest » Dec 21, 2012 11:02 am

Yay, Digs!
Sorry about that wolf! I hope you can get that sorted out and get some snow. :(

We got some snow, maybe half an inch scattered here and there. I'm not sure if the city got more than we did, but they definitely got heavier snowfall. I hope we can get some snow soon! It hasn't melted yet, so I'm praying it stays and a bit more comes.
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 22, 2012 8:48 am

Looks like the snow is over for now. Probably got close to two inches. Hoping that it either sticks around for Christmas, or that we get some more before then ;)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 25, 2012 8:02 am

It's been more than 24 hours, so I thought I'd post and wish my fellow meteorological friends a very MERRY CHRISTMAS, and a safe and happy new year.

Who out there has a white Christmas?

We have a semi-white Christmas. It rained a bit yesterday, but that rain froze, and we currently have about 3/4 of an inch on the ground. You can see the grass poking up, but it's still better than no snow at all.

And then there's the winter storm that's coming our way. . . going to dump anywhere between 4 and 10 inches of snow on us tomorrow. YIPPEE!!!!
DiGoRyKiRkE

PreviousNext