This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 09, 2012 9:29 pm

I second the motion for a fire. Sadly, I have already put away the hose reels, and I have a huge pile of leaves near the fire pit :(( Add to this a wind that just will not let up.
I hope to finish yard work tomorrow, but it looks like rain/snao mix coming later in the day, so no sleepng in late. Even thought hey project 50's, they say the temps are supposed to drop into the 30's by monday, with more snow possible.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 10, 2012 4:59 pm

The motion for a fire carries. :)

Thursday was a pleasant day, so I headed out of town and enjoyed a lengthy campfire...hours and hours of relaxing flame. The stargazing was nice - with a spectacular fireball (detailed in the Astronomy thread).

This morning, at about 3 am, I woke up to dime-size hail pounding the roof. Thunder, lightning, hail in mid-November? That's a little unusual. And I hear thunder right now as a cold front approaches.

Today the temperature reached a record high 69F/21C. By Monday our predicted high is 29F/-2C. Winter is coming!

(It's already arrived in Montana and North Dakota. Some areas are reporting 2-4 feet of snow. Whew! That's more than we got all last winter - which was abnormally dry here).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

We were caught by suprise by the lightning up here. At first we thought it was a police cruiser going by on silent. Then we started hearing thunder. Must have kept up for three hours.
No hail, but we saw on the news that there were two confirmed tornados down near the twin cities.
Of course it's freezing up here now. Didn't even reach 30 today, and the wind has been nasty. The Mrs. and I agree that we are no ready for this change, but alas the wig-wam is just too big to move to warmer climes.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 13, 2012 1:55 pm

A bit warmer here, Puddleglum. Highs lately have been low 60'sF/15.6C and lows have been, 39F/4C to 43F/6C. Not much precipitation but some could be coming later in the week. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Getting colder here, which is MUCH welcomed after that very warm weekend! There was some wet snow in the area yesterday, and I was THRILLED to see that, because nobody was expecting it.

Love seeing the frost on the ground every morning. . . can't wait for it to be covered in white stuff though ;)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 13, 2012 7:58 pm

After a weekend high of 70F, it's been in the mid 40s during the day and mid 20s at night. Got our hot tub fixed just in time for the cold weather. :D

Later in the week it's suppose to be mid 50s. Should be nice, and as long as it's not windy. I think Dad will probably have fire this weekend. :)

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby stargazer » Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm

As Puddleglum mentioned above, last Saturday's record high was followed by 2 confirmed EF0 tornadoes in the southern suburbs of the Twin Cities. Tornadoes in November...now that's unusual around here.

The weather's quiet now - and warm. Highs around 55F/12C - well above the average of 40F/4C. (I had to chuckle at the Weather Channel yesterday as they repeatedly talked about how cold it was here).

This warmth is projected to last through next week, including the busy Thanksgiving travel weekend. In fact, next Thursday will be only the 11th Thanksgiving (in the 121 years of records) with a temperature over 50F/10C. One TV weatherman commented that there's a remote chance it could reach 62F/17C that day, tying the all-time record for warmest Thanksgiving.

This relatively warm weather and lack of snow cover does make for easier stargazing during these ever-lengthening nights. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Nov 20, 2012 12:22 pm

*waves to all the weather-fans* Image

stargazer wrote:I've heard rumors that tomorrow may see the return of a big round yellow orb in the daytime sky.

Indeed, for a couple of weeks there (around Sandy's time), we didn't see the sun at all! Now, this week, we're getting a fair bit of it with higher-than-average temperatures—10C/50F—on a regular basis. The nights, however, are right down near freezing, with a lovely frost most mornings. :D So pretty. When I go for my early morning walks, the leaves on the side of the road look like they have sparkling diamonds on them in the light of the streetlamps. :)

That really warm day (for this time of year) last week hit a record for our area. At Toronto's Pearson airport, the temperature climbed to a 'blistering' 19C/66.2F, very unusual for November. That night, I believe, is when I awoke to a terrific thunderstorm. Many, long rolls leading up to more severe and sharp cracks. 'Twas beautiful lying in bed, half asleep, and listening to the music of the weather. :D

There is no snow in our forecast. I wonder when our first flakes will be ... B-)

'gazer wrote:(It's already arrived in Montana and North Dakota. Some areas are reporting 2-4 feet of snow. Whew! That's more than we got all last winter - which was abnormally dry here).

:-o Wowser! That's 2-4 feet more than we got last winter. ;))

Very cool about the fireball, stargazer! :D As also mentioned in the Astronomy thread, I saw one just a few mornings after. Awesome sight!

Did you end up having that fire, SnowAngel? Hope so! :) Hurrah for bonfires! How lovely it would be to get all of us fire-fans all together for a big NarniaWeb blaze. :D

Our friend, Wiggle wrote:but alas the wig-wam is just too big to move to warmer climes.

You've added on, have you? ;)
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Not added on so much as invested in my dear hobbit. Besides, I almost have the landscaping just the way I want it.

Leaving on a warm day for celebrations with the in-laws, ( Happy Thanksgiving to all ) , and I understand it will be a mit cooler when we get back. Looks to be high of 29 according to the weather channel. the radio was speaking of possible rain/shower mix tomorrow evening.
Thankfully I have the marker stakes in already so that I know where to guide the snowblower. I can only wait. I must admit it to be straingly invigorating to be able to throw snow great distances without throwing out the back.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Boy Scout » Nov 21, 2012 9:33 pm

Tons and tons and tons of fig this morning. I could see past our driveway. I heard it was worse closer to the city (Chicago). Thankfully most of it cleared up by 10:30 in the morning. #:-s
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 03, 2012 3:49 pm

We had plenty of fog the last few mornings too! Rather unusual both due to the season (we should be getting snow instead) and the ongoing drought.

Today's high was an incredible 55F/12C - way above average. Needless to say, no snow on the ground. (There have only been 21 December days over 50F/10C in the last 140+ years of records).

November had barely half an inch (1 cm) of snow, a good 8 inches/20 cm below average.

Incidentally, though the solstice and the shortest day (in the Northern Hemisphere) are still about 3 weeks off, this week marks the time of the earliest sunset in mid-northern latitudes (around Dec 7). The sun slowly begins to set later each night after that.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 03, 2012 7:37 pm

We had the fog too. Had a roadtrip top Fargo this weekend, and it made for some interesting driving until it burned off about 2pm.
Just got back from bell ringing around the Red Kettle with the Scouts. I could not have asked for better weather. Hardly any wind, with the temp hovering around the low 40's.
I've noticed too that there is hardly any frost in the ground. I worry what that will mean for run-off in the spring should we have a sudden heavy snow fall that keeps the frost from going deep enough.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Dec 08, 2012 5:04 pm

After last year's embarrassing winter (the last snowfall over an inch was last December!), we could get up to 12 inches in the next 24 hours. Estimates vary wildly still, so we could get only half that.

But considering we got only 20 inches all last winter, this is closer to a more normal winter (even if it's about 5 weeks late).

The storm may even bring some 'thundersnow' tomorrow, which is fun to experience. By Monday it should clear out, with temperatures down close to 0F/-17C. This snow is going to be around a while. :)
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Starting to snow here. They are calling for up to six inches by morning.
Good thing I warmed up the snowblower.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm

Seven inches thus far, and not letting up.
Light, and fluffy as it comes down. Unfortunatly it is moist snow, so it packs as it settles. Already ran out one tank of gas on the snowblower. I figure at least one more time out before turning in later.
At least the wind is not gusting too much. But if it gets as bad as they say it will make for interesting driving in the morning.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby SnowAngel » Dec 09, 2012 5:31 pm

Wish we had snow! We had a chance of snow for tomorrow, but it's gone, just going to get some more rain. Which I like, but we are all ready for snow and it's been raining all weekend!

It's been 60s and rainy here all weekend. Going to be 45F and rainy tomorrow.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

PreviousNext