This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone Talks About the Weather...

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone Talks About the Weather...

Postby stargazer » Oct 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Love those fall color pictures, jo! (So that's what a sunrise looks like. ;)) I'm definitely not a morning person).

We've had several below-freezing nights now, with a town about an hour northwest of here getting down to 19F/-7C this morning.

After a hot summer and warm September, the last week has been seriously below average. It remains extremely dry, with barely any measureable precip since August (last month was the second-driest September on record - 0.03 inches. Around here, that's remarkable!)

The forecasts all week have been focused on that big low pressure center coming from California, with a potential of significant rain tomorrow. Now it looks like it may pass too far south to bring us more than a trace of rain.

Most of our fall color has passed, though a glance out the window shows some nice maple leaves yet. They make such a pretty contrast with the bright blue sky...
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 12, 2012 3:19 pm

We have just had a visit from a blast of Antarctic air. Snow on the Blue Mountains, at Glen Innes on the Nothern Tablelands, closer to the Queensland border. Canberra, our national capital, was snowed under. I don't know how Victoria and Tasmania did. I heard talk of snow in South Australia.

Up to the day before yesterday we have had a lovely standard October Spring. But the snow is freaky.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby GlimGlum » Oct 15, 2012 10:29 am

johobbit wrote:
Glim wrote:Slowly but surely we are getting to normal Fall temperatures. :ymapplause:

Hurrah! It must be so much more bearable there now. :D And for you too, Fencer. :)

It has been, LOTS. :ymapplause: But we are in for a few more days of heat this week. It is supposed to be 90F/32.2C to 100F/37.8C from Monday through Thursday and then back down to normal again.

But it has been cooler in the mornings and takes longer to heat up. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby johobbit » Oct 19, 2012 10:10 am

stargazer wrote:(So that's what a sunrise looks like. ;)) I'm definitely not a morning person).

Ahaha! And they're beautiful. But then, so are sunsets. ;)

Most of our fall color has passed, though a glance out the window shows some nice maple leaves yet. They make such a pretty contrast with the bright blue sky...

Yes, don't they?! :D Also, I have found the opposite, that on a very grey day like yesterday, the colours stand out so much in contrast, both the trees and any flourishing autumn flowers, such as marigolds and mums. So pretty.

the birthday Glim wrote:But it has been cooler in the mornings and takes longer to heat up. :)

That's a step in the right direction. :D Wishing you further cooling down over this weekend. (Whew, those high temperatures sound terribly hot right now to we who are down in the low-mid 50s. #:-s )

Wow, wagga, that sounds very unusual!

We're warming up a bit on Monday (18C/64.4F), and next week is all over the place, dipping cooler some days, warmer others ... 'though never above 65F. We are getting a good amount of rain these days—some every day for over a week, intermingled with brilliant sunshine. And ooh, the fog (and foghorns over the lake ♥) early this morning was so mysteriously lovely.

EDIT: We did have a light frost last week, but have yet to have our first heavy one. Sure doesn't look like it's going to happen this coming week.

Must mention too how much I adore the aroma of autumn: the earthy, wet leaves, bonfire, crisp air smell is simply delicious! Can't quite get enough of it. :)
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Oct 24, 2012 1:23 pm

The past couple days we've had some very strange weather for October. Yesterday it hit 90F :-o was very humid and VERY windy. (Actually last week it was so windy the sky turned a lovely dirty brown. :-s ) Today is much the same as yesterday only a little bit cooler, currently 82F.
But tonight we have a cold front moving through and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 56F. We'll have a lot of good chances for freezing temperatures overnight later this week and over the weekend, so we'll see what happens.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Oct 24, 2012 1:58 pm

I saw that high on yesterday's weather map and was pretty astounded, fantasia! It's amazing enough that it's in the 70s here so late in October...

That front will also drop our temps into the 20s this weekend (for nighttime lows). Snow is hinted at in the forecast too.

I awoke yesterday morning to a sound little heard this summer - a thunderstorm and rain! Nice to hear it after all this time. Now southern Minnesota is socked in with fog due to the rain and relatively warm temps.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby GlimGlum » Oct 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Interesting weather in Kansas and Minnesota. :)

johobbit wrote:
the birthday Glim wrote:But it has been cooler in the mornings and takes longer to heat up. :)

That's a step in the right direction. :D Wishing you further cooling down over this weekend. (Whew, those high temperatures sound terribly hot right now to we who are down in the low-mid 50s. #:-s )

It finally happened this week, LOTS. The 4 days prior to today the average high has been 70.9F/21.8C and the low 61.1F/16.2C. Today the low was 50.4F/10.2C and the high so far only 68.2F/20.1C. Finally!

We are supposed to warm up again to the low to mid 80sF/27C this weekend. But it does feel good to be under the covers again at night. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 25, 2012 1:17 pm

It is very Un-Oswego like weather here today... sunny and warm... very warm. It's almost summer-like actually, and there's a nice breeze making everything perfect. This may be the calm before the storm though...

There're some interesting developments regarding Hurricane Sandy apparently... Had this in my newsfeed on FB this morning:

http://wgna.com/frankenstorm-for-hallow ... hurricane/

I guess there's a possibility that the remnants of Sandy could merge with a Nor'easter type system once it hits the North East causing a ton of rain, wind, and floods... It's still early to tell what's gonna happen yet though so everything might die down before that happens... which is what I'm hoping :P With Irene fresh on people's minds, everyone's keeping an eye on this :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby stargazer » Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

The prospect that Hurricane Sandy could make things interesting in the Northeast has gotten some attention even here in flyover country, wolf. Hopefully it won't happen!

We had heat like yours yesterday - 72F/22C. Pretty amazing for the end of October. Big thunderstorms this morning heralded the passage of a strong cold front, and now it's 37F/3C with a windchill well below freezing. Some rain is still coming out of the clouds - and I'm pretty sure I saw a few snowflakes when I was out earlier as well. :)
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Oct 25, 2012 2:11 pm

It seems like many areas are getting extreme drops in temperature this week—interesting for the end of October.

Hurrah for cooler temperatures for you, Glim! :D

wolf, fantasia, and stargazer, we are about to have similar extremes here too. Today is our 'hot' day—unseasonably warm for near the end of October, around 21C/nearly 70F (although that is in Toronto; out west of the big city and by the lake where we are, it only got to maybe 15C/59F, a relief for me ;))). And such fog this morning. There was 0 visibility at Toronto's main airport late morning! I think fog is so mysteriously pretty, especially with all the coloured leaves in contrast, but commuters must have had quite the drive into work. Once that sun came out, however, the chill left the air and everyone was enjoying the out-of-doors, particularly since we are expecting a LOT of rain over the weekend and for next week.

As with wolf's area, remnants (and more) of Sandy might be arriving as early as Tuesday, with heavy rain, flooding, and all the rest that goes along with such storms. A cold front comes by tomorrow afternoon, and very quickly we will drop into single digits (Celsius).

So I am going to stargaze tonight for a bit, as from all reports, there will not be much opportunity for the next while.
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Enjoy that stargazing, jo! We're still socked in. As it happens, Sandy is even impacting (in a minor way) those of us in the US interior, as it's blocking (or at least slowing) the usually-inexorable march of storms from west to east. This cold low pressure system (yes, that was snow yesterday :) ) is parked over us, with little change expected through next weekend: highs from 35-45F (2-5C) and lots of clouds and some chances at much-needed precipitation.
stargazer

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Started raining her a few hours ago... so ending our 3 days of un-Oswego-like weather. I wonder if it's part of the merging system :P My brother in VA was making storm preparations last time I talked to him. I'm hoping it won't be too bad for him... Also last time I looked at the maps the last dot on the predicted path was right about where I am... looks like it might pass right over us :P :(

I don't really mind just as long as the lake doesn't flood into our dorm or into the nuclear plant 5-10 miles down the shore :P That wouldn't be fun... But the path might change again... so we'll see. (Fortunately there's a decently sized cliff the lake would have to climb for it to flood... so I don't think that'll be an issue)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby stargazer » Oct 27, 2012 8:27 pm

The weather remains cloudy and cool (highs around 4C) here.

I've seen reports that Sandy might be a 'perfect storm' situation - not only merging with that Nor'easter but with high tides coming at the same time, since the Full Hunter's Moon is October 29.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm

The weather is finally cold and looks like it will stay that way. :D It was about 54F today, need a jacket and gloves this evening. It's awesome. Should be great weather for having a fire in the firepit if Dad decides to build one this weekend, which I think he will. :D

We had a little bit of rain on Tuesday, my favorite kind of weather cold and rainy. :) It was really nice. Made for a great birthday for one of my siblings.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Puddleglum » Nov 02, 2012 9:35 pm

Were it not for the guest we had I was sorly tempted to light up the fire pit we have tonight. Alas the poor lady's health does not permit sitting outside in such temps.
As for snow. The weather channel predicts a good chance for this area tonight. I just hope it does not stay around quite yet. I still have some leaves to run over with the lawn mower. would have bagged the lot, but ran out, and it would only mean more to throw out come spring.
But at least we did get a little rain out of this last system that came through.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Nov 07, 2012 3:54 pm

I've heard rumors that tomorrow may see the return of a big round yellow orb in the daytime sky. I'll believe it when I see it. ;))

And if it does really get all the way up to 54F/12C, I think a bonfire is in order. :)

At least the clouds have kept it from getting cold at night, and have given us some much-needed rain. I think I've only seen about a dozen snowflakes so far this season.
stargazer

PreviousNext