This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu cut?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Ramandu cut?

Postby RuralNarniaFan » Sep 07, 2010 8:15 am

Tony Nixon said in the recent interview posted on NWeb news, that everyone who's appearing in the film either is listed on IMDB already or has a really bad agent. IMDB still does not list Ramandu... I hope it's just that the actor has a really bad agent. I'm going to be ticked if they don't include him - it would seem to me as part of the Hollywood trend of marginalizing the roles of parents in kids' films in every manner possible. #:-s

Does anyone have any information as per Ramandu's role or lack thereof? /:)
Spelling Nazi, at your service. ;)
Avatar and signature are my own - will make Narnia graphics on request.
RuralNarniaFan
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Ramandu cut?

Postby bkey » Sep 07, 2010 10:41 am

I wouldn't read into what he said. Eustace's parents aren't yet listed on IMDB and we know they are in the movie.

IMDB cast lists usually aren't "official" until around the week a movie is released when it updated by the production. Until that time, virtually anyone can add credits to the cast list.

My guess is that if Ramandu is in the movie, the production is keeping his casting under wraps until much closer to the release of the film.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Sep 07, 2010 12:11 pm

I don't think we could say for certain that Harold and Alberta are in the movie, but based on everything we've seen and heard about the opening scenes for the movie, it would seem far easier for them to do those scenes with Harold and Alberta present than it would be to do it without them.

Unfortunately the opposite is probably true of Ramandu. Based on everything we've seen and heard so far about the expanded nature of Ramadu's Daughter's role, it would seem like it would be much simpler for them to have no Ramandu in the movie than it would be for them to try and find a way to squeeze Ramandu in around her role somewhere.

That said, the simplest most logical explanations do not always follow through when it comes to second guessing the work of Narnia scriptwriters. Truth be told, we don't have any real solid evidence to go off in either regard.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm

I was more optimistic earlier on for Ramandu. For now, I do believe Tony Nixon's comment was meant to be taken as a big hint as to what character(s) would not be in VDT.

From the Tony Nixon interview Pshawn asks:
PShawn wrote:P: Can you even say the character that we are asking, whether they made it into the movie or not?
TN: What I would say is if you go into IMDb at this point in time, if they’re not on the cast list, they’re probably not in there. Either that or they’ve got a very bad agent. That’s as much as I’m prepared to say.

The odds are pretty good that this specific character is Ramandu because he is the one most people are wondering about.

I allow a glimmer of hope only because we won't know with absolute certainty until VDT comes out. I hope at the very least he will be mentioned in the movie. That would not seem too unreasonable. ;)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 11, 2010 10:03 am

I am sort of worried, but not too much.....
I heard that Tilda Swinton wasn't announce as WW until really soon before the movie came out......
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Here's how I look at it: There are only two possibilities, either Ramandu will not be in the film, or he will. If he is not in the film, then I see no reason why the production is being so secretive about his exclusion. What would they gain? Tony had no problem letting us know that Rynelf's part in the story had changed. He just didn't tell us why. I think if Ramandu had been cut, then Tony would have said so plainly, without telling why. Instead, he makes a humorous allusion to IMDB's un-trustworthiness and skirts the question. I don't see any advantage that the production would have if they kept Ramandu getting cut a secret.

On the other hand, if Ramandu IS in the film, then I can think of several reasons why we haven't heard anything about him yet. Perhaps they don't see him as a very important character and thus didn't feel the need to put him in the trailer or posters. Conversely, perhaps they think Ramandu is very important and thus want to keep the casting announcement a secret until the time is right. Perhaps he is being played by a famous actor? Most likely I think Ramandu is somehow tied up with the new plot of the "unfathomable fate," "seven swords," and "pitched battles." They simply can't show him in the trailers without giving something away.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 20, 2010 1:15 pm

ack, now I am kinda worried. I do hope he's in the movie!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby OakDryad71 » Sep 21, 2010 12:48 pm

The way I see it, they are either toying with us big time or they are really not in the mood to accommodate true die-hard fans of the books. It could be that the trailers as of now are jammed with only small bits of what will really be in the movie, and the rest are "fillers" from past cut scenes and trials...even from prior movies. In that case, we really can't beleive much of what we see and hear. They perhaps want us in the dark until showtime.

On the other hand, they could be just going along with their agnostist director and filling in bits here and there that may appeal to audiences who dont know much about the books. Take the Eustace/dragon case...or putting in the WW. I sincerely hope Ramandu is in there. He is a signature character. And what's up with his daughter shooting off back into the sky? Wasn't she suppossed to wait for Caspian to return?

And in the trailer, Reep is at the end of the world on the Eastern Shore shown standing next to Aslan and the others?
He was suppossed to sail off alone. That was one of the stipulations of the deal to break the enchantment spoken by Ramandu and his daughter.

*sigh*
"But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
OakDryad71
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby starkat » Sep 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I wonder if he'll make an appearance as a character who is mentioned. Maybe a mention by his daughter. That would be a way to offer a nod to the book fans while not having to hire an actor. At least they would acknowledge his existence that way.
starkat

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 24, 2010 1:25 pm

^^ hmmm, good point! I hope he's in the movie, but if he is only mentioned, then it's the next best thing :)
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 26, 2010 11:25 pm

bkey wrote:I wouldn't read into what he said. Eustace's parents aren't yet listed on IMDB and we know they are in the movie.

We know they're in it? Was it confirmed by someone? :-\

I hope it was, because I've been worrying for awhile that they were left out too. But if someone said they're in it for sure, it would be great to know! #:-s :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby coracle » Sep 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:I am sort of worried, but not too much.....
I heard that Tilda Swinton wasn't announce as WW until really soon before the movie came out......

Trust me, I was on NarniaWeb long before then, but she was announced quite early. We knew when they were filming that she was the White Witch - and the film came out over a year later.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Linden » Sep 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Eustace+Jill wrote:
bkey wrote:I wouldn't read into what he said. Eustace's parents aren't yet listed on IMDB and we know they are in the movie.

We know they're in it? Was it confirmed by someone? :-\

I hope it was, because I've been worrying for awhile that they were left out too. But if someone said they're in it for sure, it would be great to know! #:-s :)

~Riella

Well, in the interview in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Screening" article on the news page, it talks about a clip from the beginning of the movie, in which Edmund sticks out his tongue behind his "uncle's" back. Eustace says, "Father, Edmund's making faces at you!" That seems like pretty strong evidence Harold is at least in it. Sorry if this was too spoilerish.
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Well we know at least that Ramandu isn't completely cut since in the new report,
Lilliandil calls herself Ramandu's Daughter.

I don't know if that means he'll actually be in it, but at least his presence is acknowledged.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Linden » Sep 30, 2010 11:24 am

Well, that's encouraging, at least.

I wonder if the island will still be referred to as Ramadu's Island or something new (like Liliandil's Island :-s or a specific name). Does anyone know?
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby icarus » Sep 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Linden wrote:I wonder if the island will still be referred to as Ramadu's Island or something new (like Liliandil's Island or a specific name). Does anyone know?

They do seem to have a specific set of "official movie names" for the islands, and Ramandu's Island is still called "Ramandu's Island" there. Whether or not the name will be mentioned in the movie though, we can't say for sure (though we do now know that Ramandu himself is mentioned, even if he doesnt actuall appear) but as far as the overall "movie universe" is concerned, its still called Ramandu's Island.

The main "changes" as far as the island names go, seems to be that Coriakin's Island/ Dufflepud Island/ Island of the Voices/ Land of the Duffers, or however you refer to that island from the book has been given an "official" name of "Magician's Island" and that Deathwater/Goldwater and Dragon Island have both been given the combined name of simply "Goldwater".
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next