This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Various Set & Prop Rumours

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Re: Various Set Rumours

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

^^ wow! cool boat! I don't want to sound silly, but is that a picture of a random boat or is that from VotDT? :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Aug 18, 2010 4:54 pm

The boat Ancientdogma posted was an illustrative example of a particular style of boat that they may have used to create the Dawn Treader Row Boats (see #6.1 on Page 1) just as they used a particular style of Australian Surf Boat (see here) for creating the Lone Island fishing boats (see here). Thanks for the photos by the way Ancientdogma :)

Interestingly, i'm still no closer to understanding the conundrum of the Dawn Treader Row Boats - i.e. where exactly are they supposed to be stored aboard the Dawn Treader? The first trailer did reveal that the ship has some sort of lift mechanism for getting the crew from the deck level down to the waters edge, so that makes sense - but there is still no sign of the actual rowboats. The second trailer even had a nice wide-shot of the main ship deck, yet there was not a single rowboat to be seen being stored anywhere. Quite odd.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby icarus » Sep 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Two very brief updates here....

#11: Studio and Location Shooting

Although we've heard quite alot about the general set-up of the shooting at Warner Roadshow and Cleveland Point, there was a recent article on GlobalMediaUpdate, which whilst not offering any new information, was still a reasonably interesting read:

http://globalsportingupdate.com/case_st ... htm?page=1

#12: The Dragon Cave Set

Somewhat for the sake of completion, i thought i would link in here a very interesting analysis of the Dragon Cave/Valley set that Fantasia Kitty did in light of the new evidence presented in the recent video clips:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1739&start=112#p93832

And on a similar note, some observations from myself about how the Dragon Cave/Valley almost certainly doubles up as the Deathwater pool in the movie:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1594&start=32#p93124
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 22, 2010 10:26 am

From what I've seen so far, the sets are amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product. The set designers just pay so much attention to the lovely little details, and that really creates such a "real" atmosphere, allowing you to believe it really exits.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Trufflehunter » Oct 07, 2010 3:56 pm

I too am extremely excited to see the finished product, as the sets have looked absolutely amazing!
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby bloggs1968 » Dec 20, 2010 5:00 am

icarus,

I have just stumbled on this about the rowing boats. Boats were modified Iain Oughtred Caledonia Yawls built by Denman Marine , Tasmania Australia[url]http:www.denmanmarine.com.au[/url]

Two half boats were also made that stowed on the deck of the ship with their aft ends covered. You only get a brief glimpse of these in the movie although the two whole boats get a good amount of screen time.

hope this helps.

Andrew
bloggs1968
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby icarus » Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am

Wow. Fantastic information. Thanks very much :)

I can't say i spotted the location of the boats on-deck in the movie though - guess it's something i'll have to look harder for on repeat viewings. Good to know it's not something they overlooked though. :)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Adeona » Dec 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Yes; there is a very short shot where you can see a couple of the crew members dragging the boats out from some sort of "Cupboards" on the deck of the DT - a low-ceilinged space underneath one of the cabins. Watch for it just before Caspian and the rest disembark at Narrowhaven, after the minotaur relays Drinian's orders to prepare to land.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Trufflehunter » Dec 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Isnt there also something right before Eustace steals the orange below deck. Right before the camera pans over to the food area.. i thought they were loading/unloading the boats on the other side?!?
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby icarus » Feb 19, 2011 3:53 pm

On the subject of the boats, AslansCountry.com picked up an interesting article about their construction by Denman Marine which can be found here:

http://woodenboat.com/boat/?p=1883 ;)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Anyway, also recently, VDT Prop Maker Chris Martin has re-added his gallery of work he did on the movie to his official website here:

http://www.chrismartin.org/portfolio.html

Most of the props now seem to fit into the context of the movie, but one i still don't get is the photo of Lord Restimar in costume. It's been a while since i've seen the movie, but i'm not recalling when we would ever have seen Lord Restimar in a state which would of required such a costume (i.e. not as a solid gold statue)

icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Various Set & Prop Rumours

Postby CharlotteRose » Feb 20, 2011 9:56 am

Maybe it was so that the people making the statue had something on a real body to refer too. so that he was dressed in narnian clothing etc...
becasue in VDT he in in the pool WITH cothes on geting something from the water whereas in the book he has jumped in for a swim.
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous