This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ditto Town Library

Home of chat, writing, and role-play.

Moderators: stargazer, Lady Arwen, Ryadian

Ditto Town Library

Postby Lucy Librarian » Aug 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Shhhh! Welcome to the Library!

This is the place for the “Dinklings” – the participants in the Ditto Story (NarniaWeb’s own collaborative writing effort) – to get together to exchange ideas, offer encouragement and suggestions, and to discuss their ongoing storyline. (The actual Ditto Story segments themselves are posted in the Inn Between thread).

If you’d like to learn more about the Ditto Story, here are some helpful links: BERNINBUSH's Ditto Story Index, Ryadian's newer Ditto Story Index, and starkat's website, which includes full text of previous Ditto Stories.

If you’re interested in joining the Ditto Story, feel free to mention this in the Library, and the other writers will be able to questions or offer more information in-thread.

NarniaWeb has many aspiring writers, something which pleases this old Librarian very much! But there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:

First (and most importantly), do not post your works of fiction in this thread. (A rule important enough to make a librarian shout in a library!) The reason for this rule is that NarniaWeb has limited server space and was not designed to support a “fan fiction” website.

To actually post your work (except for Inn Between or role-play segments – which belong elsewhere in Ditto Town), please join the Narnia Writer's Guild and put it there, or host it on your own website.

To let others know about your work, or to talk about nearly any aspect of writing, please visit the Writers’ World thread in the Spare Oom – a great place for ideas, suggestions, and encouragement. There you can include links to your writing so others can read it. (Please indicate whether the writing is rated “G,” “PG,” or “PG-13,” and don’t link to anything rated “R” or worse. If you see a link that’s not appropriately rated, please let a mod know. We want to protect our younger members).

For everyday conversation, please visit the Town Square thread. To talk about role-playing please visit the Cavern Tavern. Remember, this is a library, and we must be respectful of the other patrons!

-- Lucy, the Librarian
A room without books is like a body without a soul ~ Cicero
Lucy Librarian
Ditto Town Host

Re: Ditto Town Library

Postby stargazer » Sep 04, 2009 3:39 pm

I see that Boo Kay Bucket has opened the next Inn Between thread, so once our Prologue is ready to go, feel free to post it. :)

My next posts will imply about a 3-month in-story time gap, making it early spring. If this doesn't match up with other writers' ideas, I'm sure we can work around it. We're pretty flexible timeline-wise, except for those times when it's a pivotal plot point.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 04, 2009 4:03 pm

That works for me, Gazer! :D Can't wait to start!

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus
NarniaWeb's Resident Hunter

Postby starkat » Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Mine are time free, but fit in best with the three month gap. Sounds like I need to pm JP and see what we can get started. ;))

Transferring this from the old forum:

These are the Nine SPOILER (highlight to read):

Tucked away in the “Historical Books” section of a prominent university’s library, there is a slim book entitled On Beetles and How They Build. It’s in the top left corner of the shelf in the west corner, and there are spiderwebs in front of it. If you were to open this book and flip to the back cover, you would find an envelope glued thereupon. Inside the envelope is this letter.

“This is the structure of the Nine who would rule all.

Three thrice is nine, and each three governs a side of time: Past, Present, and Future.

Three are the parts of the sentient lifeform, and each three governs one: Body, Soul, and Spirit.

The Body Past is our physical history.

The Soul Past is the history of thought.

The Sprit Past is the history of faith and belief.

When we control these, we control where we come from.

The Body Present is our world and self today.

The Soul Present is how we think now.

The Spirit Present is how and in what we believe now.

When we control these, we control where we are.

The Body Future is our perfect form to come.

The Soul Future is our thought united as one.

The Spirit Future is complete faith in the Tenth,

And the Tenth is the centre of all things, the Whole.”

In older days, before a selfish corruption overtook us, we would chant our parts at the opening of each session. We were wiser then, perhaps.

I should be clear: the Tenth is not and was never a god, but it was our driving passion and ultimate goal, though we knew it not.

I who write this was Eight, the Archon of the Soul Future, and I oversaw the Philosophers who write the thoughts of the generations to come.

I will never again see daylight, but I have seen true light, and the truth of the Tenth. I write so that whoever comes after and finds this may also know

the truth

At this point the letter trails off. Doubtless Eight had something important to say, but his life expired before he could write it. Others have found the truth he spoke of, but never another from within the Nine- who, despite a certain change in organization to suit their egos, are still in existence, and would still rule all.
starkat

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 04, 2009 9:26 pm

So the new story is up and ready to start!
I'll wait before I do anything with Varna - I haven't got anything planned for her, other than sending her to Charing Cross Road in London at some point, to go to the second-hand book shops :D
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby starkat » Sep 08, 2009 5:58 pm

And so it begins...
starkat

Postby JillPole » Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Yes, yes it does. I've re-posted the Nine intro thing, with a brief mention of Emily.

...and now, I have to figure out how to write my actual PLOT. :-s
JillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

AWESOME.

(oops, one word post. ;) )

Seriously, great start everyone. I'm eager to see what this story holds for our characters.

JillPole wrote:I have to figure out how to write my actual PLOT.

Ditto! Though my co-conspirator and I have quite a bit of material waiting in the wings. ;)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm

I posted my first Jesse and Caelen post of this story. :D

I loved your post, Kat. And JillPole's. :D

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus

Postby starkat » Sep 08, 2009 7:42 pm

Nice job Flossie and Jill. :)

Aye, should I go ahead and dust some of my stuff off? or wait a bit longer for the suspense? Guess I could do a segment on where Lia, Liv and Ryder are ;)). Probably should do that first.
starkat

Postby shastastwin » Sep 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Ack! The new story's started!

*runs off to think of introductory post(s) and thinks maybe he'll post in the next 48 hours*
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby starkat » Sep 09, 2009 7:14 pm

Just posted a short segment featuring Lianna and Tara. I may go back and tweak it a touch. I just had an idea. ;))
starkat

Postby Rising_Star » Sep 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that if anyone wants to interact with Jesse or Caelen, just PM me and we can work out a segment. :D

P.S."Brooklyn!"
Rising_Star
Moderator Emeritus

Postby starkat » Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Oh bother! I forgot what I was going to do with that segment! How does a surprise birthday party for Ryder sound to kick this story off with? I'll try and get that segment written and up by Saturday unless someone else wants to take it and run with it. Feel free! :) Just don't tell Ryder. ;))
starkat

Postby JillPole » Sep 09, 2009 7:23 pm

Hey all, is it ok if I do some stuff to the VF's old compound?

Oh hey Kat, happy simulpost!

...Surprise party for Ryder is a YES. And I think I know who'd organize it. ...let us talk.
JillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby starkat » Sep 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Ditto! Happy simulpost!

Sounds good to me! :) Modify away!

I await your pm or e-mail. :)
starkat

Next