This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lucy in VDT

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Lucy in VDT

Postby coracle » Jun 18, 2010 3:11 pm

Oh yes!
I also forgot to mention the ubiquitous Gas Mask Box - which is tucked under the saddle of her bicycle.
And also in the Magician's House she has her hair tied back with a plaited leather tie - reminds me of things we wore in the 70s!
I've also reviewed my ideas of her jerkin in that scene - the orangey brown one is material, not leather. She also has a redder coloured leather overjacket that sometimes has sleeves and sometimes not. Plus added arm shields when she is drawing the bow.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 18, 2010 10:25 pm

I didn't notice a gas mask box, that's neat. :)

I'm confused, coracle, because I haven't seen two tunics... not in the trailer anyway. What I have seen is the same red tunic with gold embroidery (my study is here). Sometimes it looks orangeish in some lights, and reddish in others, but it's always the exact same cut and the same embroidery. It looks to me like the red tunic she wears in the set pictures, the Magician's house, firing an arrow, and walking alongside her siblings in the "Where the heck are they?" shot ;), are all of the same red tunic. What are your thoughts?

I believe she also wears the detachable long sleeves with this tunic, which is probably the vambraces (arm shields) you mention—these sleeves are open at the elbow (see this set picture), which is probably why they give the appearance of vambraces in this shot.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby coracle » Jun 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Well she has one that's like a double-breasted (men's buttoning left over right) longish waistcoat - which in the Magician's room looks orangey brown, and has gold embroidery on it. She's wearing it in the shot up on the 'bridge' of the ship. That's referred to as the gold tunic on the costume site.

Then there is also one that has a lot more in the front, which seems more like a jacket -has a lot of gold decoration, two rows of buttons (wide double breasted front, still lowish V neck which is quite mannish).

These two could be the same one with different light - we never see the lower edge of the orangey brown one, and the reddish one's upper decoration hasn't been shown clearly in any photos I've seen.

It would be nice if she had a change of clothes in Narnia this time- she wore the same outfit the whole time until the coronation in PC!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 20, 2010 10:34 am

I hope we get more than one costume change too. Though it has to be a limited wardrobe on board a ship, I heard somewhere that she might wear a dress at some point. :D

Maybe this new pic will clear things up a bit? fantasia_kitty screencapped it for me off the Narnia.com site. It's a much bigger version than the one I have...

It shows a tunic (or long waistcoat) that's double breasted, has two rows of buttons, the same twisted gold cord at the neck and the same embroidery—both in the fluer-de-lis type symbols all over the tunic as well as the border around the neck—as the tunic she wears in Coriakin's library. Also, the fabric is the same—a paisley jacquard (jacquard meaning the pattern is woven into the fabric, not printed on). You can see that especially well if you compare it to the shot of her back as she blows air at the letters.

The only two shots where I suspected a gold tunic is this one and this one... but I wouldn't be surprised if that's this red tunic as well, as it's cut the same way, the lighting is kind of bad on both of those shots, and with all the images that have come out we haven't seen anything like that again.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Jun 20, 2010 11:18 am

That's an interesting shot of Lucy's sword there Lady Eowyn. We previously had a brief debate about whether or not her sword was in fact Trumpkin's sword from PC. The sheaths were found to be pretty much identical, the crossguard more or less the same, and much of the handle too, but i think the only thing that convinced me it wasn't Trumpkin's sword was the lack of a large pommel visible in the pictures we had of her sword at the time.

Seeing that new photo now though, it is quite clear that the sword does indeed have a large pommel, and looking back now at the previous spy photo we had of her sword, i can now see how the pommel is actually entirely obscured form view, making the handle look as though it did not have one.

It's hard to get an entirely decent view of Trumpkin's sword pommel in PC, and it looks slightly different depending on the shot you look at, but given that the swords are less dissimilar than previously thought, its perhaps a good time to bring that question back up again - Does Lucy have Trumpkin's sword?
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Ooh, I'd forgotten about that, icarus! I think it definitely is Trumpkin's sword, or an identical copy. I put together a few more comparison shots. There are three shots of Lucy on the lower left, the rest are Trumpkin, though it's pretty obvious:

But that doesn't make a lot of sense... why would they bring a dwarf sword on board, especially Trumpkin's? On a similar note, why would Lucy have Susan's bow and quiver? I can only imagine that they were—as Caspian said of Lucy's cordial—considered to be royal treasures and thus brought along, though the cordial is far more practical to Caspian than Susan's gifts.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby coracle » Jun 21, 2010 3:36 am

If those were the only two photos you thought showed a goldy brown top, then I think we may have to conclude that she does have only the one - and that the varying lights show it redder sometimes and browner sometimes.
Nothing has yet proved any difference in the decoration/embroidery/design details between the apparent gold/brown and the reddish one.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby lioness13 » Jun 22, 2010 4:30 pm

The one, or both, either way, looks nice, I think. I am curious as to whether she did indeed borrow these/it from Caspian, they fit too well.

I was disappointed not to see a dress in the trailer. :(
"Come," said Aslan ," let me breathe on you. Are you brave again?"
lioness13
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Yeah... in the picture I posted above, you can see a waist dart, so it's definitely fitted and made for Lucy. It's similar in style to the rest of the crew, but realistically she couldn't have "borrowed" this exact outfit from Caspian or from anyone on board. All the same... I like this outfit quite a lot, it doesn't have to be realistic. ;)
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Pepper Darcy » Jun 24, 2010 12:08 pm

I simply love Lucy's redvest costume (the one on the Narnia.com site)... so awesome. One of the first times I was *VERY* pleased with the Narnia costumes, well, at least, pleased enough with them to be inspired by them (I draw costumes)... But Lucy looks so *valiant* and adventurous in her new array, and she still looks feminine too =) I'd *love* to make this one... if I ever make a Narnia costume, I'm doing this one! I love the white shirt, and the overvest is simply amazing! =) :ymapplause:

P.S. I'm glad they made it fit Lucy. I would have hated to see her in a 'floursack' =) So, for the sake of making Lucy look nice, I'm glad the deviated from the book... I know, I'm blaspheming here :p I repsect the books! Just don't want Lu to look *awful* ;)

:music: risk it all cuz I'll catch you if you fall... if my heart was a house you'd be home :music:
Pepper Darcy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Lucy's look in Pepper Darcy's sig I love it the best. She looks more feminine like in the red vest and white collared long sleeve shirt. That is what I actually imagined Lucy would wear while rereading the book two years ago. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jul 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Lady Éowyn wrote:Ooh, I'd forgotten about that, icarus! I think it definitely is Trumpkin's sword, or an identical copy. I put together a few more comparison shots. There are three shots of Lucy on the lower left, the rest are Trumpkin, though it's pretty obvious:

wow! it is Trumpkin's sword! that's cool! actually, if anyone is going to have it, then Lucy deserves it because she and Trumpkin were good friends :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Bother Eustace » Jul 06, 2010 1:56 pm

On the subject of Lucy and Trumpkin's swords: it really looks like the same sword to me. There may be very superficial differences, but they're so similar, that at this point it would probably be harder to explain why they're swords are so similar than it would be to explain why Lucy has Trumpkin's actual sword. I think they're one and the same. As to why Trumpkin's sword is on board the Dawn Treader when he's not, I have no idea. But that certainly looks like it!
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Jul 06, 2010 7:18 pm

I was initially disappointed to see Lucy not wearing a dress in the trailer, but I've reconciled myself after studying her red vest outfit in more detail... I love it!!! It fits her perfectly and is not at all boyish but definitely feminine. The lovely gold designs suit the red fabric perfectly and it enhances the red in her hair for and effect that is simply breathtaking! (If you can't tell I really love this outfit!!!) :D
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Pepper Darcy » Jul 07, 2010 9:14 am

OH, I wonder, in the shot we have of Lucy when she's shooting Susan's bow and at various other times those sort of 'arm' things that are over her white sleeves... are those perhaps for the purpose of keeping the sleeves of the white shirt 'out of the way' for when she's going to be active? The white shirt's sleeves *are* flowy, so is that the purpose of those outer, removable brown sleeves? Any ideas...

A_Narnian_Ship... I have to agree with you! :D I love this outfit! It's so inspirational! =D

:music: risk it all cuz I'll catch you if you fall... if my heart was a house you'd be home :music:
Pepper Darcy
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aslans-mane » Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm

I am going to make this outfit and I got alot of tips. Thanks NothinButNarnia for starting this topic!!!
signature by A_Narnian_Ship
Aslans-mane
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext