This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lady of the Green Kirtle

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Lady of the Green Kirtle

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm

I can't wait to see this costume!!! Please post ideas, sketches, fabric color, etc!
On the previous thread, we had been comparing some ideas with Arwen's costumes in LOTR. LotGK is NOT an elf. I think her costumes should be original and different from both Arwen's and Jadis's in LWW. What do you think?
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Lady of the Green Kirtle

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 06, 2009 10:25 pm

Thanks for starting this so we can continue all the fun conversations, A_Narnian_Ship! Here are two threads about the LotGK from the old forum for reference:

Started March 2006

Started November 2008

One of the first descriptions Lewis gives us when Rilian meets her in the forest is that she was tall and "wrapped in a thin garment as green as poison." What color do you all see for a poison green? And what should the "thin garment" be like? What about her later outfits?

Now, I hate reposting stuff I've posted before, but I'm still loving three fabrics I suggested in one of the old threads.

My pick for the first costume's color would probably something like this. And the first dress should be delicate and dazzling and non-threatening... something to make a guy forget revenge and run off to live underground. It's a really beautiful green, but I'd say it's attractively poisonous. ;)

And the one below is a great green color. It's shot silk taffeta, so there are a lot of green tones to it, though it may have too much sheen for her... It doesn't scream snake, but it's changeful, mysterious, and a little more dangerous:

I like the scaley diamond weave of this fabric (except in a green, of course) for an underdress or something... a bit of a hint at her snakiness in a later outfit, perhaps.

(All three pictures are from Class Act Fabrics.)

I have other thoughts on the later outfits—I don't think they should have a sheen like her first outfit, for one thing. And I'd particularly like to see a very high collar. And snug sleeves. No flowing sleeves when the LotGK means business. ;) Oh, except that Pauline Baynes drew her with huge sleeves in her final underground scene... :p
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 08, 2009 9:08 am

The first one is great for when she's outside of the underworld. An attractive Green Dress, but when she's in the underworld, no shiny material, nothing bright, I'd like a dull dark emerald color with a repeating design on it.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Weapon Master » Sep 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Since the LotGK's costume is quite well described by Lewis, as well as illustrated by Baynes, I've always had a very clear idea about how it should look. As far as color, I always imagined a bright, almost lime-green color, a little darker than Arwen's coronation dress in Return of the King. I think it's a cool idea for the dress to have an almost scaly quality to it. For the fabric, I would recommend a silk satin, because it should retain the thin quality described by Lewis, but still have enough weight so that it doesn't make the character seem too frivolous. I think it should have a fitted bodice, but with large, open sleeves and a fairly wide skirt.
Weapon Master
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Adeona » Sep 14, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm kinda new to this forum, but I have a costume for LotGK. It would be for when she is in her underground kingdom. I like the idea for a scaley fabric!
Tell me what you think:
These are all different views of the same outfit. I picture the underdress as a lighter, brighter green then the overdress. Almost neon green. And of a flimsy fabric in several layers. The diamond on the sleeve is a cut in the fabric which is open to her arm. The diamonds down the back show the fabric of the underdress. The jewel on her forehead would of course be an emerald, bound to her with a velvet ribbon which also ties up her hair in the back. Around the neck is some yet-undetailed-but-supposed-to-be-intricate-heavy-and-weird embroidery in gold and green.

Picture 2.png
Picture 2.png (67.69 KiB) Viewed 68584 times

I'm sorry it's a little large! :ymblushing: I can't upload it any smaller and have it still be any good.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Susan Pevinsie » Sep 17, 2009 6:10 am

I think the dress in the underworld should be VERY snakey!
"I will live as much as like a Narnian, even if there isn't and Narnia!"

1 Timothy 4:12 :D
Susan Pevinsie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wicked Swann » Sep 17, 2009 8:12 am

Weapon Master wrote:Since the LotGK's costume is quite well described by Lewis, as well as illustrated by Baynes, I've always had a very clear idea about how it should look.

Has the illustration been posted online anywhere?
Wicked Swann
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jadis of narnia » Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm

Well, the dress that the green lady wears is very much like tilda's white dress in LWW, it's off the shoulder as well, except for the sleeves.. the sleeves the emerald witch wears are very long almost down to the ground, kinda like old fashioned fairy-tale princess sleeves.. but I haven't looked for any pics yet.. not sure if they have pics of the book illustrations anywhere..

~ jadis
jadis of narnia

Postby Susan Pevinsie » Sep 24, 2009 7:54 am

I found some dresses but i don't know how to upload pictures yet...I also found some really cool necklaces and rings that would be great for LOTGK!

Susan Pevinsie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wicked Swann » Sep 24, 2009 7:56 pm

jadis of narnia wrote:Well, the dress that the green lady wears is very much like tilda's white dress in LWW, it's off the shoulder as well, except for the sleeves.. the sleeves the emerald witch wears are very long almost down to the ground, kinda like old fashioned fairy-tale princess sleeves.. but I haven't looked for any pics yet.. not sure if they have pics of the book illustrations anywhere..

~ jadis

After asking that, I looked in my Narnia book and actually found the illustration. Heh! I should have done that in the first place. I was thinking about this character as a costume, since I have a green dress that I made as a pirate or Elf style gown a few years ago that I thought might work. I think the color isn't vibrant enough, however, based on the descriptions in the book.
Wicked Swann
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Susan Pevinsie » Sep 25, 2009 7:09 am

well in the book she wears the same thing for when she takes Rilian and when she meets the kids and when she is in the underworld... :|

Susan Pevinsie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Sep 25, 2009 4:50 pm

I always pictured her dress as being very flowing with a lot of layers made of some type of silky material a little like this picture i found online: http://media.photobucket.com/image/flow ... fairy2.jpg
As far as the color I imagine more of a bright green sort of like this: http://www.pantherkut.com/wp-content/up ... -snake.jpg
(For the record I also think this is what she would look like as a snake too, it just made sense to me that the dress would be the same color as the snake she becomes)
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby redeemedqueen » Sep 30, 2009 11:25 am

I think this is a nice design, but it might be too "restrictive" for LGK: http://www.shoplulla.com/d-sky-terena-l ... fruit.html

Here's another one, but I'm not too sure about the one-shouldered look, it may be too modern:
http://www.shoplulla.com/d-t-bags-one-s ... print.html

I really like this one:
http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLew ... ?$product$

and this one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_q9inr1I73x8/S ... kitten.jpg

and this one: http://s7v1.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLew ... ?$product$

and this one: http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/ ... 200pxWide$

feedback?

LADY EOWYN:
I like your 2nd fabric sample; it looks decidedly "snakey"...
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Member of the Edmund and Tenth Avenue North Fan Clubs!!!

Member of the pray for Skandar group - PM Benjamin to join!!!

redeemedqueen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 30, 2009 2:06 pm

I like the print on the second one, maybe for an underdress or underskirt! It's a bit snakey-looking. It might be better for LotGK if the colors were in the same family, though, or close... different shades of greens and browns.

And actually, the last two more resemble my idea of Ramandu's daughter instead of LotGK—I always imagined the LotGK in something more fantasy/medieval and R's D in a drapey grecian dress, like those two.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Wunderkind4HIM » Sep 30, 2009 3:03 pm

So I just accidently came across this
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... AA280_.jpg
maybe for the first dress?
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C. S. Lewis
Wunderkind4HIM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Oct 05, 2009 12:02 pm

hmm i like the color but the sleeves and neckline should be a bit different. I do like the gathers which make it look like it would wrap around the wearer(prefect for lotgk).
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Next