This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Dawn Treader Ship

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: The Dawn Treader Ship

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 08, 2009 12:01 am

No worries mate, I'm just surprised you've never seen the series. It's very well-known.

I (mostly) love the look of the DT ship, but I would've liked to see a golden lion's head design on the sail.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 08, 2009 1:19 am

I haven't seen the series ever. I think the new ship is better then that one. What do you think?
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby narnian1 » Sep 08, 2009 4:58 am

I've just recently seen the old BBC versions, with the exception of The Silver Chair since I am currently re-reading the book, I will then see it.

The Dawn Treader,
The BBC ship was quite nice but I too am preferring the one over it.
I guess I am just a bigger fan of what is being done now with the books.
(But the older movies are worth a watch)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby PeaceAndLove » Sep 08, 2009 7:09 am

I'm very exciting to see those photos of the Dawn Treader set.
The ship is so beautiful, especialy with the golden sun lighting.

Comparing with the BBC version, I'm wondering, dose the new production ship has two masts?
I had thought the new ship also had two mast.
But that smaller one with lamp dosen't have a yard and dosen't look it will have a sail to me.
I guess the main mast will have second sail or more sails in CG, but I can't see the smaller one will have a sail, because the lamp is on top of it.

I know nothing about any kind of ships, so I use following page for references of Mast and Sail.
http://www.hms-trincomalee.co.uk/virtua ... ilsrev.htm
PeaceAndLove
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby carissa » Sep 08, 2009 4:33 pm

Wow, with the new pictures from Tamara you can really see the detail on the lanterns and some of the mast! The lanterns look really good!
carissa
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Sep 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know that I FINALLY got the image gallery updated with all of the Cleveland Point pics
http://www.narniaweb.com/image-gallery/filming-locations/
On the new site, the image gallery is different than the built in gallery for news stories, so these are much easier to look through. (They don't expand past your screen)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that I FINALLY got the image gallery updated with all of the Cleveland Point pics
http://www.narniaweb.com/image-gallery/filming-locations/
On the new site, the image gallery is different than the built in gallery for news stories, so these are much easier to look through. (They don't expand past your screen)

much appreciate that F_K! that sure makes it easier to see the entire photo without necessary sacrificing the original photo size.

btw, got a question for you about the commentaries in the front page. sending it to you via PM.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Peepiceeka » Sep 10, 2009 4:25 pm

You know... I was really worried on how exactly the ship was going to turn out because in the start when the individual pieces were being built, it looked like some sort of carnival ride with all of the bright colors. #:-s But now that's it's all together, she looks BEAUTIFUL! I liked how the BBC one looked as well, but for some reason I feel this Dawn Treader has more diverse patterns and design. All the better for the movie. :)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aravis Tarkheena » Sep 10, 2009 4:43 pm

I like how the ship looks more aged (less like a carnival ride) but it still isn't exactly what I pictured.

I feel so sad! Everyone keeps posting about the lovely purple sail and it comes up BLUE on both of my computer screens! :(( I don't think I like the design. Plain purple would have made a much bigger difference in the look of the ship. Not only simplistic and lovely (not to mention pure), I think a plain sail would be a lot more dramatic, especially when you see the ship sailing off into the sunset :P .
Looking further up and further in

avvie by me
Aravis Tarkheena
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Sep 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Maybe you should look at it on a different monitor. I've viewed on dozens of different computer screens, and on every screen it definitely looks purple. A beautiful rich purple.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 12, 2009 6:31 pm

Aravis Tarkheena wrote:I like how the ship looks more aged (less like a carnival ride) but it still isn't exactly what I pictured.

I feel so sad! Everyone keeps posting about the lovely purple sail and it comes up BLUE on both of my computer screens! :(( I don't think I like the design. Plain purple would have made a much bigger difference in the look of the ship. Not only simplistic and lovely (not to mention pure), I think a plain sail would be a lot more dramatic, especially when you see the ship sailing off into the sunset :P .

i guess it depends on your perception of "purple". the purple sail has actually a stronger shade of blue than red, so truthfully its more blue-violet than bright purple (like what the Joker would wear)

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

when I saw the first pics I was like "what have they done????" or in Smeagol talk "you RUINED it!!" but seeing the more recent pics was just wow. It looks beautiful. And the detail, on the rigging and such. It's beautiful.

The colors DO look a little amusement park-y, but the whole thing is beautiful. I would love to run around on it.

What will they do with it once filming is over?

Edit: one thing I thought they did really well was the shape of it. How the tail is sooooo high in the back. It doesn't look flat with a head and tail just stuck on.
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby caboo29 » Sep 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I really think they should keep the Dawn Treader somewhere in Australia and use it as a museum/attraction thingy. Do you know what kind of tourism that could bring in? Especially if VDT does really well (which of course it will) :) It would be heartbreaking if they just took it apart and got rid of it, it's amazingly beautiful. Maybe they'll use it as the ship Caspian leaves on in SC, so then they'll have to keep it around for a while... *hopes*

I just know that if I had the money I would definitely be willing to travel half way around the world to visit and walk on the Dawn Treader. It would be an amazing experience. So yeah, really hoping somebody will buy it and hold on to it or something.
They know everything on Narniaweb. - Ben Barnes

"If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C.S. Lewis
caboo29
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 15, 2009 2:27 am

The new picture of the dawn treader is the best.The best angel now we know what the ship will look like.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby tenthofthatname » Sep 15, 2009 3:40 am

The ship is breathtaking. Even when it looked like a carnival ride in pieces I still adored it. The only reservation I had was the shade of red added to the color palette. Without knowing the shade of the purple sail (back when we weren't sure if it would have the sail at all!) it was hard to visualize the overall outcome, but these recent pictures with the sail in the wind put those to rest. The colors, design, everything about the ship is beautiful.

caboo29: I also hope that they don't dismantle the ship after production. I want to see it in person so badly.
tenthofthatname
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Eustace » Sep 15, 2009 6:25 am

I love the design of the sail it looks cool. :) Although I can't really tell what it is yet. :-\ I also love the look of the ship.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext