This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby johobbit » Oct 27, 2017 3:35 am

I'm behind in welcomes! :ymblushing:

A warm welcome to you, hermit! It's interesting to me, too, that your intro to the Chronicles was Prince Caspian, very cool! :)

Welcome to the forum, Eustace! 'Though Voyage is undeniably a wonderful book, I'm curious why it is your favourite of the series, as one doesn't often hear of it as such. My two most compelling scenes in Voyage is the un-dragoning of Eustace and Lucy and the albatross.

Kalta79, welcome to NarniaWeb! While I have seen all 3 recent movies, I almost envy you that you haven't. LWW was bearable, and even spot on in some ways, but the other two I could live without. :P BBC for me, anyday! We'll see how The Silver Chair pans out. It is my favourite book of the Chronicles (with HHB being a close second), so my expectations are probably far too high. ;))

That's cool you're a writer, as are many here. We do have a Writer's topic here, mentioned in Rose-Tree Dryad's post above.

If any of you have any questions, feel free to ask! :)

Further up and further in!
johobbit

Postby aileth » Oct 28, 2017 9:01 am

Kalta79 wrote:I haven't seen the recent film version...well I just saw one part at a friend's, the fight with the wolves on the frozen river, and knowing that wasn't in the book, that it was most likely put in for commercial value, put me off those movies. So I don't bother comparing the BBC version to it, since I haven't seen the entire Walden version, and don't intend to.

It was the polar bears on the poster that kept me from watching the 2005 LWW for many years. As it turned out, that part wasn't so bad (but really, when the reindeer were CGI anyway, they should have made them small, as they were in the book /end rant)
I can't say that I haven't enjoyed the Walden movies, but then the books are so much better :) Just wish that BBC had done the whole series. In spite of the flaws in production (which I didn't notice as a kid) they are still enjoyable. Contrary to some people, I quite liked the BBC Aslan; I remain very fond of the music.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby johobbit » Oct 28, 2017 12:19 pm

aileth wrote:Just wish that BBC had done the whole series. In spite of the flaws in production (which I didn't notice as a kid) they are still enjoyable. Contrary to some people, I quite liked the BBC Aslan; I remain very fond of the music.

Hear-hear! I, too, have always been quite fond of the BBC Aslan. I certainly prefer him to Neeson's Aslan, who I found to be very bleh/meh compared with the mighty Aslan of the Chronicles.

As for the music, ditto! It is so beautiful. Ahhh, when that French Horn rings out the main BBC theme, it still brings me goosebumps.
johobbit

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, kalta79! :-h

That line from Jadis in MN is a breathtaking one. Although I've seen the Walden trilogy and enjoyed the first two films, I'm not a super-fan... in my opinion, the books are on another level! So multi-layered and they just never get old. :ymdaydream:

Your cat avatar is making me giggle... maybe you should drop by the Pets Blog sometime and tell us about your cats! Aside from the previously-linked thread about writing that Jo mentioned, you might also enjoy the books thread here in the Spare Oom as well. :)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby justjoel100 » Dec 14, 2017 9:58 pm

1. Name: Joel!
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King
3. Family (single/married/kids): Single
4. Occupation: Student!
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Darn, I can't use a single word for this one. I found it while looking for news about the SC movie.
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: My dad read them to my siblings and me when I was four.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: At least five
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, without a doubt, although I do like Horse and His Boy quite a lot.
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I'm very into 3D modeling/animation, and would love to work at Pixar. I like to listen to showtunes, and fairly recently started regularly listening to the Narnia movie soundtracks. I can spend all day with just the soundtrack and a stack of books. And also food.
justjoel100
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 15, 2017 10:25 am

Welcome to NarniaWeb, justjoel100! :-h (It's tempting to call you Joel the Just, in the style of Edmund the Just! ;))) Glad to have you here!

Wow, very cool that you're into 3D modeling and animation! I'm a little familiar with programs like Blender because I have a brother who's used it, but I'm always in awe of what people are able to create. (Btw, did you make your avatar? Great work if so! :ymapplause:)

I like show tunes as well, although my taste in music is so all over the place, I often don't get around to listening to that genre... perhaps you can post about some of your favorites in the music thread here in the Spare Oom sometime!

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Have fun exploring the forum! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Dec 17, 2017 7:37 am

Welcome to the forum here, justjoel100! I do like that, Rose, "Joel the Just". ;))

You're in good company here, as there are avid book lovers on NarniaWeb. What is your favourite genre?

justjoel100 wrote:My dad read them to my siblings and me when I was four.

So cool. That is how I was introduced to the Chronicles, as well. My parents read them to us when we were preschoolers, and now, many decades later, they become more treasured and meaningful with ever read.

:)
johobbit

Postby Grandmama » Jan 29, 2018 4:19 pm

1. Name: Grandmama
2. King or Queen of Narnia: Queen
3. Family: married, 4 children, 2 grandchildren
4. Occupation: Chief cook and bottle washer (Domestic Engineer) ;)
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Stargazer, Ryadian
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: my grandmother read us The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe when we were young, I didn't realize there were more until I got married and my husband had the set.
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Many. We used to read them to our kids at bedtime.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: The Horse and His Boy
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: Sewing, quilting, gardening, reading, camping
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Jan 30, 2018 11:30 am

A big, warm welcome to you, Grandmama! :D If you recall, we met at the MN Moot in June, 2013 when the gang stopped off at Culver's for a tasty treat. B-) I wish we could have had more time to chat then, but it's sure good having you on the forum now! :)

That's so cool your grandmother read you LWW when you were young, and then you had the privilege of enjoying the rest of the series as an adult! Are you starting to read them to your own grandchildren too? B-)
johobbit

Postby coracle » Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Oh, yes, at Culver's! I was there too! (I'm Auntie, the one with the Kiwi accent - did we get to meet each other in between consuming dessert?).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Grandmama! :-h So neat that your grandmother read LWW to you, and now you're a grandmother yourself with grandchildren to share The Chronicles of Narnia with! How special!

I can see that a few discussions here in the Spare Oom have already sparked your interest, but here's another one that seems to be up your alley: The Second Measure, all about sewing, quilting, knitting, et cetera.

Glad to have you on board, and have fun exploring the forum! :)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby stargazer » Jan 31, 2018 5:52 pm

A hearty welcome to you, Grandmama! Glad you're here.

Others have mentioned some of the threads reflecting your interests. There are also threads in the Spare Oom for reading and camping. Feel free to share your stories and expertise there.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Grandmama » Feb 03, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks for the welcomes! All this talk of Culver's makes me want to head over there for some yummy frozen custard. :)
I haven't started reading the books to the grandchildren yet as they are 5 and 2, but Auntie Ryadian has already gifted them some of the books. Perhaps if I can get the 5 year old to sit still long enough, we could start.
I will definitely check out the sewing discussion. ;)
"I suppose the sewing machine's too heavy to bring?. . . I can't abide the thought of that Witch fiddling with it. . ."
Grandmama
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Felix Hyperopic » Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Greetings, all! Long time news follower and podcast listener, but just now getting around to signing on. Here goes:

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Felix Hyperopic (i.e. farsighted cat...Felix is probably easier :) )
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen
3. Family (single/married/kids): Married
4. Occupation: e-learning designer
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Random google searching for Narnia fan sites circa 2005
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Had the series read to me by my dad starting when I was 6
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: At least half a dozen times
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: A tie between Voyage of the Dawn Treader and Prince Caspian
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: Reading, crocheting, acquiring/playing board games, watching Critical Role and other nerdy livestreams, made a point to visit the Eagle and Child (among many other things) in Oxford during a study abroad semester and thoroughly geeked out while there :D
"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb,
and he almost deserved it."
Felix Hyperopic
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby coracle » Feb 17, 2018 5:28 am

Hi Felix, welcome to NarniaWeb.
You have a lot of great interests.
I remember how exciting it was to see The Eagle and Child a few years ago.

I used a booklet I bought in Oxford to walk around and see places associated with both Lewis and Tolkien. I managed to catch a bus to see The Kilns - from the street only, since it is privately owned and used.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby johobbit » Feb 17, 2018 7:58 am

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Felix! It's good to have you here on the forum. :)

How wonderful that you have actually been in the Eagle and Child ... an anticipatory dream of my own. :ymdaydream: Hurrah for fellow geekers!
;)) :D
johobbit

PreviousNext