This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby johobbit » Dec 24, 2017 4:22 am

Hey Friend Wiggle! :) Here, too, our snow is light and fluffy, not that difficult heavy, wet stuff, which can look pretty, but is brutal to shovel. :-s Enjoy your Christmas with family and friends! :)

Ahh, you must miss the MN winter weather, 'gazer. However, glad you can be out there. Enjoy, 'though the days be above freezing and dreary. Wondering if that forecast snow will actually come.

I'm not sure why I neglected to mention this yesterday, but the trees were stunning, covered in snow crystals. There must have been a flash-freeze in the night, and what a sight. It was cold enough yesterday that little of it melted, leaving us with a wonderland all day long. I love that blue light that flows over the white landscape in midwinter!

This afternoon much more snow is anticipated (8"+), which makes traveling very tricky for driving. Our one son and his fiancée arrived early last evening through treacherous weather (freezing rain, snow)—the usual 7 hour drive took over 10! Thankful for safety. They saw 11 cars in ditches, but thankfully none appeared serious. Geoff had put their snow tires on last week, and is sure glad he did so.

Our two other 'kids' are coming today. :D And while my dad was supposed to drive here tomorrow morning, he has decided to instead make his way over early this afternoon, given the snowy forecast. We'll fondue (cheese and chocolate) this Christmas Eve as the snow is falling thick outside.

As mentioned above, Boxing Day and following is to turn very, very cold, not untypical for this time of year.

Happy Christmas Eve Day! :D

EDIT: Just back from my walk. -10C/14F. Very still. A beautiful dawn with grey clouds streaking across the sky full from the south to the east. Jupiter shining high in east. Love that sound of snow crunching beneath my feet. And the village is utterly hushed. I don't see snow clouds in the west yet, but will keep an (excited) 'weather' eye!
johobbit

Postby stargazer » Dec 24, 2017 10:15 pm

The snow arrived this afternoon, accumulating to about an inch now (9.15 pm local time), with flurries still ongoing. It made the roads rather slick, especially without the snow-removal equipment I'm accustomed to. There was still a lot of traffic on the roads when we went out this evening, but is likely to be gone in a few days.

I enjoyed your mention of Jupiter in the morning sky, Jo. I've seen it a few times of late since everyone else here is very much a morning person. Keep an eye out for dimmer Mars, now to its upper right, closing in day by day.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Yuletide was a chilly time here with zero F, or less. As we were hosting the fires were well stoked in the wig-wam. The in-laws enjoy a warm domicile. Added to this the offspring invited his roommate, and the fellows girlfriend ( with prior approval from the Mrs. and I ). Both are from South America. He has been here long enough to a climate, she just flew in. Yep. It was toasty :ymblushing:
Been seeing Jupiter in the morning as well, and enjoying some great views of Orion. Just waiting for a warmer, yet clear night to take it all in.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Dec 29, 2017 8:03 pm

Here comes the cold! I know everyone north of me will be colder, but our high tomorrow is 13F. We've even got some negative numbers in the forecast to ring in the New Year. Brrrr....
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

I've returned to the frozen north just in time for winter. It's below 0F (-17C) now and it only gets worse from there. ;)) Tomorrow's high will be -7F (-22C). Refreshing!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Dec 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Just as it atarts to warm up for us. It should reach a sweltering 11 above by next Tuesday. Shorts, and teeshirt weather as the offspring has come to call it. If all goes well I should be able to hike a little with one of the siblings. Just got a couple coats of varnish on some canes, and will need to look for some more promising pieces. If the heat up continues I might just get out to do some hunting yet.
Happy New Year to All!
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jan 01, 2018 11:17 am

This is the time of year we ask "Why do we live here?" It's been a while since the temperature has risen above 0F/-17C. ;)) It may hit that mark today.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 02, 2018 4:37 am

Puddleglum wrote:Just as it atarts to warm up for us. It should reach a sweltering 11 above by next Tuesday. Shorts, and teeshirt weather as the offspring has come to call it. If all goes well I should be able to hike a little with one of the siblings. Just got a couple coats of varnish on some canes, and will need to look for some more promising pieces. If the heat up continues I might just get out to do some hunting yet.
Happy New Year to All!

What exactly do you mean by "a sweltering 11 above by next Tuesday?" Does that mean 11 degrees Celsius? Or does it mean 11 degrees Fahrenheit? :-\ I can tell you about "sweltering", at the moment. It hasn't been too bad at 36 or thereabouts Celsius above zero but will be back up to 45 degrees Celsius on Sunday. 8-| OF/-17C sounds quite nice right now. B-) Oh and it is the first full moon of the month, with an eclipse, apparently, on the one at the end of the month.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jan 02, 2018 11:20 am

He means 11F. Pretty toasty for this area in January. I can't imagine 45C; that's slightly below the all-time record high temperature for this state, recorded way back in 1917 (I believe I've encountered heat index values that great, but I'm not sure that's the same).

The January 31 total lunar eclipse is an early morning event for North America but most of Australia (except the far west) gets to see the whole event. (More details here. Scrolling down gives contact times in UT and a visibility map).
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jan 07, 2018 1:30 am

Thank you, stargazer. Yes we have been told about the blue moon on January 31st, which will be an eclipse and also a blood moon, whatever that is. Doesn't blue and red make purple? A purple moon, perhaps?

I hope you all aren't suffering too much from the untoward cold weather that has afflicted the Eastern seaboard of North America. At least the temperature is going the right way. Today, according to Australia's Bureau of Meteorology, my Australian home town is officially the hottest spot on the entire planet, having had at 3.35 pm a maximum temperature of 47.3C. That is to say, about 118 degrees Fahrenheit. We aren't even in a desert or in the tropics, either. :-\ Just sandwiched between Sydney, the Nepean River, and the Eastern escarpment of the Blue Mountains.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Jan 07, 2018 6:03 am

stargazer wrote:This is the time of year we ask "Why do we live here?" It's been a while since the temperature has risen above 0F/-17C. ;)) It may hit that mark today.

Well, I've been looking at the lovely sunny mornings after 9 am, and thinking how odd it is that it's only 2 degrees C outside! I'm recuperating from a chest and sinus infection, so it's nice not having to go out in it.
And it wasn't until after I got sick that I discovered I'm currently living in the worst city for asthma in this country. Damp and polluted, eh?
It can only get better!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby fantasia » Jan 07, 2018 6:28 pm

We're getting a brief warm-up this week after some rain this morning. We desperately needed it, but it wasn't very much. Next rain chance is this Friday and it comes along with the next major cold snap. Back into freezing temperatures again.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Jan 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Yes, Friend Wiggle, isn't it great to see Orion again in the evening hours? (When the skies are clear, which is not that often this time of year.) Beautiful!

What a change in temps from the weather out west to back home, 'stargazer!

For a couple of weeks now we too have had very cold temperatures: around -20C/-4 during the day (but lower with the windchill) and around -30C/-22 at nights (feeling colder with the wind). Talk about fresh! ;))

We had about a foot of fresh snow fall last night. That was on top of another foot we'd received over the past month, some of which has melted and much compressed, but it's been white for a long time now, yay!

Today is the first day in what seems like a long time that one didn't step outside and immediately freeze. :P But with the temperature rising, all the snow has become quite heavy. We're supposed to go above freezing on Wed and Thursday (with potential freezing rain), then dropping cold again. It is January, after all. Another round of snow could arrive on Friday through Saturday.

wagga, I simply melt at those sizzling temperatures in your part of the world! :-o
johobbit

Postby Puddleglum » Jan 08, 2018 8:32 pm

My apologies wagga. I keep forgetting that.
Indeed, my friend hobbit. I am hoping that the current warm up will be accompanied by some clear skies tomorrow night to allow for some viewing.
We are expecting a second day in the 30sF. But the " other shoe drops " early Thursday morning when the cold moves back in accompanied by snow. Just when grass was starting to show up again.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Jan 09, 2018 3:02 am

I'm going out of the house for the first time in a few days, and will be really bundling up! It's a cosy warm house, but only 2 degrees out there so far. Hmm, I hear the ironing and a coffee calling me!
(I need to buy groceries, plus a couple of other errands to do).
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Jan 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Yes we have been told about the blue moon on January 31st, which will be an eclipse and also a blood moon, whatever that is. Doesn't blue and red make purple? A purple moon, perhaps?

Total lunar eclipses are sometimes called blood moons because the moon takes on a reddish hue. I believe the name didn't catch on till recently, when a series of 4 total eclipses in a row (a 'tetrad') occurred a few years ago and some people attached theological significance to them.

The past few days have been very warm here in east central Minnesota, with highs around 38F/3C. The bottom falls out again beginning tomorrow night, when a storm brings in wet heavy snow and possible blizzard and whiteout conditions. The cold returns this weekend with highs struggling to reach 5F/-15C.
stargazer

PreviousNext