This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The MouseHunt Thread: Episode V

Postby fantasia » Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm

Ara wrote: I got a scolding from my sister for not getting the Minotaur Base asap.
*is a self-proclaimed meddling, bossy, older sister* ;) You were using the Attuned Enerchi Induction Base, I couldn't help it! :)) Especially since I knew you were close to getting the Mino Base. But I'll help you out as much as I can because the Minotaur Base is worth it. :) Sent you some supplies, make 'em count! And good luck.

And way to go on those Magmatic Charms!
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Ok, second MoPi run done..went in with 60+ Dragonvine. Had my usual run of DHU trying to get my meters maxed; had to turn my firebowl on early which annoyed me to no end. Oh well. Spent most of my cheese at 100/100 hunting Ful'mina; I got...28? And missed like 26; so my CR this time was maybe 50%, lol. Apparently I had super good DLU last time. Anyway, I didn't get anything *too* interesting; except 100 Pollutonium, lol.

I've got about 160 Dragon scales so a little over halfway to the first trap. I think I could get it within two more runs; if I hunkered down and just hunted in MoPi I bet I could have it within a week or so but I'm in no rush.

I'm guessing what's going to happen is alternating Firebowl runs with lower-paying-but-still-good cheese-only runs, since it takes time to build up a decent fuel supply.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 22, 2017 10:22 pm

I’ve been going back and re-reading the MH threads from when I started playing…talk about nostalgia! It’s been super fun to go back five years or so and see how much the game has changed.

Random tidbits that I’ve found interesting/amusing in my journey to the past…

- When I started playing, the Iceberg had not been released yet. The Warpath was KING to top players. FK was the highest ranked of all of us and she was a Duchess.
- A million gold was still an astronomical figure and people who had multiples of millions lying around were considered fairly well off.
- People couldn’t believe the cost of LG traps and when the Rift base came out with a cool price tag of what, 10mil? People were rioting, lol
- Digs turned up his nose at pretty much every new trap offering. ;) He infamously dissed the OWN citing that it was “worthless”; in all fairness, at the time it was. You could buy an Oasis bead for about 400k on the MP! Now, as the game as evolved, the OWN has become incredibly useful and necessary to game progression.
- Digs also correctly predicted that the next level after Archduke was going to be Viceroy, not quite four years ago. Now THAT I find impressive, haha
- Remember when we had to pay for travel? hahaha
- My personal gameplay seems to have been divided up into pre-Lady and post-Lady…once I hit that rank, I felt like a veteran player and I started to find myself on more equal footing with everyone else from there on out.
- I haven’t had any more luck with prize mice than I did three years ago. *cries*
- It amazes me to look back at how many people were playing back when I first started, and to think that I’m now the 2nd ranked NWebber. Chalk that up to having no life and playing consistently for five years, lol.

Also, in looking back on 2014 and the Year of the Noble (that was the year we got the Toxic Spill, Sunken City, Gnawnia Rift…), it makes me remember that next year is MH’s 10th anniversary…I wonder if they’re going to have another extend year-long sort of celebration? Certainly releasing the first Archduke area in the game will be of particular note, but I wonder if they’ll have anything else special up their sleeves to celebrate.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 23, 2017 10:59 pm

On Sat 23 Sep, 2017, Gymfan15 wrote:I’ve been going back and re-reading the MH threads from when I started playing…talk about nostalgia! It’s been super fun to go back five years or so and see how much the game has changed.

Random tidbits that I’ve found interesting/amusing in my journey to the past…

- When I started playing, the Iceberg had not been released yet. The Warpath was KING to top players. FK was the highest ranked of all of us and she was a Duchess.
- A million gold was still an astronomical figure and people who had multiples of millions lying around were considered fairly well off.
- People couldn’t believe the cost of LG traps and when the Rift base came out with a cool price tag of what, 10mil? People were rioting, lol

I've realised that today is my 5th mousieversary. I knew it was this week some time, and it's actually today, 23 Sep, 2017. B-)

I think you started in May the same year, Gymmie, and the game had grown quite a bit during the months between us - at the least the Iceberg must have been introduced then, as it was already there when I joined.

I joined just before they opened Living Garden, at about the time when they introduced Treasure Maps (speaking from memory, I haven't reread old threads).

It took me half a year to go up to my first 5 or 6 million gold, and then at the Spring Egg Hunt in 2013 they introduced Charge Eggs. I was one of the first NWeb Hunters to grasp the idea of Charge Cycling, and I earned more than 3 million gold during the event from Charge Eggs only. Half the amount of what I already had - an amazing increase for a new hunter.

The next year, SEH 2014, I didn't Charge Cycle actively, because 3 million gold wasn't as important to me then, and the constant monitoring of the cycle was too much work.

Five years at MouseHunt has been lots of fun :D
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Aww, how lovely that you were able to remember in time for your Mouseaversary. ;) I remember when you started playing; it's certainly a credit to you how fast you have been able to rank as well! You definitely play very smartly and I always appreciate how you can find all the useful tidbits on the forum (since I don't go on there very often these days).

Just as a heads up, I want to try a system for finding people for Warpath maps on the FB group, since you can't easily tell what Wave people are in these days. I remember we had good success trying this method back when CSC came out, so let's see if it'll work here too.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Aravanna » Sep 28, 2017 8:09 am

I apparently joined Mousehunt August 1, 2008. I didn't even know they saved our anniversaries. I chiefly remember only vaguely understanding how the game worked because I sat in the Town of Gnawnia for ages waiting for a map piece to drop. I finally had to look up that the map piece was in the Mountains. ;))

I think the Acolyte Realm was the place to be, and I vaguely remember Whisker Woods being added, but that could have been a long time after I joined.

Right now I'm having two of the best Labyrinth runs I've ever had. A very nice way to finally get my Minotaur Base! I wish I would have paid attention to how much Gruyere I had armed when I finished my Farming run, but I had 68 Nightshade. And now I'm heading into Zokor with over 100 scholarship clues. \:D/

And as soon as I have the base I'll help with Warpath runs. I'm at the beginning of wave 2 which isn't great, but I guess I have to start somewhere.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Sep 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Well since we're all listing out our histories and Ara's history is directly tied to mine... ;))
I joined June 28, 2008, about two months after the game began. I didn't play for very long because I didn't realize that the hunter's horn took you on hunts. I thought it was only used when you had friends to take on hunts with you. :P So I only relied on trap checks. Hahaha!
Also when I started, I believe the game only went up to the Mousoleum.
I quit and then Ara started. She wrote me a couple months later to tell me they had added Furoma and Whisker Woods. I started playing again (and figured out the hunters horn :P ) and that's when I really got hooked.

Got some DLU today as another Timesplit Rune turned up in a Mysterious Box. I can buy another one if I want to, which brings me up to a total of 7 Runes and 30 Cogs. :D Getting closer!

I'm currently back in MP as I really need to finish up this round of cheese so I have a proper boring farming location again. :)) And then I need to just settle down and pick a spot and finish it up. I'd have one trap or the other by now if I just focused. :P ;) ;))

Also still need a Warpath Portal Projector. I have the Console, need the Core. And then there's the Base from the Relic Hunter maps.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 30, 2017 12:19 pm

FK, you must have a lot more DLU than me in the BRWrift these days, cuz you only have 10 more AA than me, but you have 6 more Runes, haha. Even if you count the rune that I sold ages ago, I'd still only be at 2/10 right now, lol.

But no worries; I'm in no rush; I got the impression there wouldn't be any new Rift areas for awhile so there's no big rush to get the trap IMHO. Still splitting my time between the Rift and MoPi.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Oct 01, 2017 10:15 am

Gymfan15 wrote:I remember when you started playing; it's certainly a credit to you how fast you have been able to rank as well! You definitely play very smartly and I always appreciate how you can find all the useful tidbits on the forum (since I don't go on there very often these days).

It was the forum that taught me about Charge Cycling at the Spring Egg Hunt. They changed the numbers a little the next year, so it hasn't been quite as lucrative later as it was that first year (when I needed it most :) ). I sometimes miss the time for the next horn because I'm so busy reading the forum :p

There's a thread at the forum right now that is discussing strategies for the Warpath Treasure maps - the Warpath map thread in the Treasure Map Chat forum. They suggest much of the same as you do :)

fantasia_kitty wrote:I started playing again (and figured out the hunters horn :P ) and that's when I really got hooked.

I can imagine that the game became more interesting when you could hunt five times per hour rather than just once ;)

Currently I'm hunting in the new area. I'm working towards a run of about 150 pieces of Dragonvine cheese. In my first run I got 28 Ful'Minas, and in this run I might silver her. I also expect to get the new Draconic trap - perhaps even the upgrade ...

There's only one mouse I haven't caught yet in this area, the Dragoon. All the others I've caught and bronzed. Bronzing the Dragoon will take some active playing, otherwise this is a great area for passivity - it will take over from Sensei hunting :)
Varnafinde

Postby fantasia » Oct 01, 2017 3:37 pm

Varna wrote:I can imagine that the game became more interesting when you could hunt five times per hour rather than just once ;)
Just a bit. ;))

Gymmie wrote:FK, you must have a lot more DLU than me in the BRWrift these days, cuz you only have 10 more AA than me, but you have 6 more Runes, haha.
My DLU in that place has come in waves. Nothing at all until after I had the base, and then a set of three from two Acolytes, then nothing, and now an additional set of three. I must have gotten another drop in there because I only remember buying two. But I'm up to a total of nine runes as of this morning. I have 40 cogs currently, so I have six Acolytes left to catch at most. :) Just about done with the BWRift aside from prepping for Easter.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Oct 03, 2017 11:20 am

Well, after having good DLU in MoPi, I've gone for my third set of Dragonvine cheese and I STILL haven't seen anything really nice from Ful'Mina. No Teeth, no Laby pieces. :(( I got some T7 Pots; that wasn't bad, but still. Whiiiinnnneeeee, lol.

BUT, I did get the first trap upgrade, so that's good, right? lol
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Aravanna » Oct 06, 2017 7:33 am

FK wrote:Well since we're all listing out our histories and Ara's history is directly tied to mine... ;))
I joined June 28, 2008, about two months after the game began. I didn't play for very long because I didn't realize that the hunter's horn took you on hunts. I thought it was only used when you had friends to take on hunts with you. :P So I only relied on trap checks. Hahaha!

I'd forgotten about that. ;)) I'm glad I got you back on.

Gymfan, I thought my Tier 6 potion from Ful'Mina was interesting and here you've had Tier 7 potions drop! I also got 50 scrap metal, which would have been much more exciting if I didn't already have the School of Sharks trap.

In other news, I've managed to gather 21 Magmatic Chrystal Charms, so I'm done with Trains until Easter. Woot woot! (I'm also set up for the Deep x3 Egg.)

So here's my current To Do list, mostly to set up for the Egg Hunt:

1. Finish the currant Warpath run I'm on. I'm getting close to finishing Wave 3 so I might be able to catch the Warmonger and contribute something to the map I joined late. :p
2. Set up for the Heart of the Meteor. I'm assuming she'll have an egg this year, and I've never caught her before so the time won't be wasted. I already have the projector, I just need the cheese.
3. Set up for the Minotaur and Decrepit Tentacle Eggs.
4. Set up for the Absolute Acolyte since he'll probably have an egg. This is the only fast thing on my list. ;))
5. Set up for the Ascended Elder Egg. I've half-way drained my batteries right now so I"ll need to recharge them and get 3 more Rift Blossom Branches for the cheese.
6. Set back up for another Warmonger since I didn't get his egg last year.
7. Set up for the Ful'Mina/Dragoon mice since there's a chance they'll both have eggs. I'm not sure what I need to do for this one. I'm not as ambitious as Varna ;) but I'd like to have 100 Dragonvine cheese ready to go and however much fire bowl fuel I'll farm at the same time. Does anyone know how much cheese on average it takes to catch the Dragoon? I haven't attracted him yet.

I also need the Unstable Chrystal Egg but I can't do anything about that until the Egg Hunt itself since I need to get the Minotaur first, then do another Labyrinth run. I wish I'd have snagged that one last year, but I know I'd done several Labyrinth runs already and was burned out.

And if the Artillery Commander has an egg... I just don't think I'll have time to grab it. Even if I get both projectors, I'm going to have to do an entire Warpath run during Easter on top of everything else. This one is lowest priority.

All traps are on hold until after Easter. That's about it. ;))
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby fantasia » Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am

@Ara, did I tell you an official congrats on your Mino base yet? If not, congratulations!! :D :D
And way to go on getting those train charms ready. :D Hopefully that will be enough.
As to the rest of your list, prioritize, and then check them off one at a time. If you only halfway set up, you're less likely to get it done around Easter time. (You know this, I'm sure.) And one thing to take into consideration when you're prioritizing, which locations do you not mind avoiding for the next six months? ;)) And how long does it take for you to get into location?
If I were you, I'd knock out Fort Rox now. Unless you're wanting to participate in future Relic Hunter treasure maps, that's a completely useless area. Then I'd move onto the FRift. Unless you want/need the MYNOCRA trap, that's another area that can easily sit on the sidelines.
Warpath prep can be done along with the maps, so I wouldn't set up for the Warmonger egg until after you have the portal. Speaking of which, if have some gold burning in your pocket (I don't think any of us do right now, but just in case), the portal pieces are not that outrageous on the Marketplace right now. Setting up for the Artillery Commander and Warmonger are the same requirements.
So that leaves the Laby, BWRift, and MP. BWRift and MP area cake walks. They do not take a lot of time to get all the way through. As Easter gets closer, what I plan to do is stop right before I get the boss mice (Maxed out Rain and Wind, some spare Fuel, plenty of Dragonvine, Arcanevine, and Shadowvine cheeses) and then work my way backwards. I sure hope they don't have a Dragoon mouse, he will be the hardest.
Same deal in the BWRift. I'm planning on setting up at the beginning of an Acolyte portal. Between that portal and the following Gearworks, almost all of the mice are encountered. Neither area will take that long to prep for. Easter should be easy for me this year.
No idea what to expect for the new (if any) Mountain mice. I believe that area will get an update in November, but the new areas are pretty short, sweet, and to the point, so I'm not too worried about those eggs.
Anyways, I'm off topic with the Mountain ;) Going back to the Labyrinth. In my humble opinion, I think it is MUCH harder getting into a Treasury Hallway than it is getting the Minotaur so that's what I'd set up for, but that's just me. Figure out which one is more difficult for you and then set up for that. I'm going to ask though, are you willing to lock yourself out of the area and forgo all of those traps for six months? Because in the event you farm a few Minos between now and then and get lucky and get a trap to drop, that will speed up future Laby runs even more. Just something to think about.

No real FBF today to speak of. Dave is still on vacation and Jacob wasn't feeling well, though he did just chat for about an hour or so. It was interesting to listen to off and on. :) One of the more interesting topics that came up was how to help new members get through content quickly to catch up playing with their high level friends, but not at the expense of skipping the whole game. Kind of interesting to think about. I mean, you wouldn't want to speed it up too much because you have the low level areas that only take a month or two to get through, and now there's the labyrinth which has been out for over two years now (what?????) and I'm the only one completely done with it out of this group.
I can't imagine Rya and Gazer starting up and being faced with an area that takes two years to complete. :)) (Good luck Rya and Gazer :P ;)) )

@Gymmie, I don't think I told you congrats on your trap yet. Nicely done! :D

The end is in sight for me in the BWRift, so I'm putting all of my focus into there right now. I only need five more Acolytes at most, and if one drops a rune at any time, then I'm done. Getting the Timesplit Dissonance Weapon and then 90% of my focus will be on Moussu Picchu with the remaining 10% on the Warpath and Relic Hunter maps.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Gymfan15 » Oct 06, 2017 12:23 pm

My strategy with new areas and Easter is that I don't really prep it too much; I just plan to hunt it straight through since you usually need eggs from the whole thing. So I'll make sure I have supplies for BWRift and MoPi, but I might not necessarily "set up" at the end unless I happen to be close.

Still slogging around MoPi and BWRift. Getting more annoyed at the AA every day for not dropping any Runes, lol. #FKhasalltheluck
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Varnafinde » Oct 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Over the previous years I've had a list of eggs to catch at the SEH because I had never caught them before. I think some people even want to get every egg every year - I don't. As long as I can tick them off as caught/got, that's enough.

For 2018 that list of my still missing eggs is very short.

SHELDER. X(

Then there's the list of new eggs that might turn up, but that's mostly guesswork. Heart of the Meteor is one on that list, and I'll save my 2nd Portal Projector just in case. That list is short too, just because I haven't made much guessing yet. I'll look for suggestions at the forum.

Currently I'm working on a few projects in parallell, looking for which one needs most closely monitoring when I'm able to provide that, and looking for which one is at the most passive-friendly spot when I want to go offline.

These projects are
- the Warpath treasure chests (I want the Portal Projector and the Artillery Commander)
- Moussu Picchu (I've got the trap, and want to upgrade it, and to silver the Ful'mina)
- Bristle Woods Rift (I've got the base, and I want the trap and enough gold for the trap)
- Furoma Rift (I've got the weapons, and I want to repair batteries 9 and 10, and bronze the Ascended Elder)
- 2 more bronzes will make me reach the next rank in the 90% Crown Club. Perhaps Crystal Golem and Warmonger - or Soul Binder and Manaforge Smith?
Varnafinde

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 08, 2017 10:11 am

Returning to the Warpath for treasure maps has reminded me that apparently I never got the Sandstorm Monstrobot. ??!? It looks like the only parts I'm missing are the Rhinobot parts (upgraded that trap to chrome a looooong time ago) and Sandblasted Metal. Now, do I stay here until I get it or move back to the labyrinth to work on that Minotaur base? I'll probably just move back and forth depending on maps and my mood as per usual. ;))
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

PreviousNext