This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Getting to Know You

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Getting to Know You

Postby Gildor_Inglorion » Jun 12, 2017 7:20 pm

johobbit - I know, it seems like I joined forever ago! I am definitely a big LotR fan and have been since I was young. :) My wedding is July 8th, so coming up soon! Thanks for the welcome back :)

coracle - Thank you! And I'm definitely excited about SC :)

stargazer - Thank you and I will!

The Rose-Tree Dryad - Thank you so much! We used to talk so much but it was so long ago it kind of seems like it was one long dream lol. I don't know if that makes any sense. XD But it's good to be back :)
Gildor_Inglorion
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fledge1 » Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Fledge1
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King
3. Family (single/married/kids): married with kids
4. Occupation: Retention coordinator at community college
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Google years ago(just coming back)
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: first grade. Had nightmares and brother read me lion witch to help me sleep. Have a pic from book tattoo on my arm
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Once a year sense high school (15 years)
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: changes. Currently The Horse and His Boy. So deep!!
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: my daughter shows mini horses. Her main mare is pregnant And hoping to name baby either Hwin or Fledge. Camping is a blast and reading.
Alright, now it's your turn! :)
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Jun 21, 2017 10:42 am

Welcome back, fledge1! It's good to see you here again. What a comforting and memorable story about your intro into Narnia. How kind of your brother! Would it suit to see a photo of your tattoo? (No pressure if you'd prefer not.) That Pauline Baynes' scene of Tumnus and Lucy walking through woods is so iconic ... very beloved, indeed.

I've mentioned this here before, but The The Horse and His Boy is almost tied for my top Narnian Chronicle The Silver Chair. However, this was not always the case. When I was young, even though I really liked it, it was nowhere near the pinnacle. But the older I get, the more I love/appreciate the richness and depth of that tale. (Actually, though, I also like saying that my favourite book of the seven is the one I am currently reading. ;)))

That's really cool about the mini horses. Great name ideas for the baby! ;)) :D

So, you enjoy camping and reading ... both of which we have topics for here in the Spare Oom: camping; reading. :)

Are you introducing your own children, now, to the Chronicles? :D
johobbit

Postby fledge1 » Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm

johobbit,
Thanks! Yes I will gladly show the tattoo. I am very proud of it. Narnia is one of my favorite things and has been for MOST of my life. And yes we are excited for the baby mini....well I am. We have not told me daughter yet that Zoey maybe pregnant. I will for sure look at the camping and reading topics!!! I love being back on. I say the same thing about what is my favorite book. TLWW and HHB are the top two, but yes whatever one i am reading HA. Those two for very different reasons.
And my oldest is reading through all seven now. LOVES them. My other two are to young to read them, but I have let them watch the movies. Explained how different and better the books are. It is fun to see the magic through their eyes now. Makes me remember.....
Where should I post the tattoo pic? Need to take one. It is going to eventually get colored in, right now it is just like the book....i want to get the lamp post on the back side of my arm as well. Having someone design a tree like lamp post currently.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby johobbit » Jun 21, 2017 6:39 pm

fledge1 wrote:Explained how different and better the books are.

Indeed. ;)) And it's great to hear your oldest is reading through the Chronicles now. :D When our kids were young, we'd gather them around a campfire in the backyard on summer evenings and read them aloud together. Grrreat memories! Then they got to the age of being able to read them on their own, and that was special too.

You could post the picture here ... or in the Town Square, which is the hangout for general conversation about anything and everything. ;))

Again, welcome back!
:)
johobbit

Postby fledge1 » Jun 22, 2017 1:03 pm

johobbit- wont let me post it for some reason. Even tried to send you a message with the picture but it wouldnt let me. Not sure why.
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm

This is a little belated, but welcome back to NarniaWeb, fledge1! I've really enjoyed reading your recent posts. :) I especially liked the story about your brother reading LWW to you when you were little and plagued with nightmares... that is so sweet!

I'm not sure what's causing you trouble with posting an image. The BBC code for posting a picture is:

Code: Select all
[img]image URL goes here[/img]

Let us know if you need any more help with that! I would love to see some pictures of your daughter's miniature horses over on the Pets Blog here in the Spare Oom sometime. (I wanted a miniature horse when I was young, but city ordinances about livestock or something quickly dashed that dream. ;)))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby johobbit » Jun 22, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks, Rose! Those instructions should help you post, fledge1. :)

And ditto about seeing photos on the Pets Blog of the miniature horses (and the baby when it arrives!).
:D
johobbit

Postby fledge1 » Jun 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks for the info on pictures...I will try to figure it out soon. They are on my phone right now so I will have to log in on my phone and give that a go. And I would love to show pics of Zoey (the mini) she is adorable.
Thanks for the welcome back!!! I really actually missed this place. Right now I should be doing some homework for my Masters classes but...I mean its Narnia...
HAHA. Ok, pics to come soon!
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby hermit » Sep 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Just joined so here goes
1. Name (please avoid your real full name): hermit
2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): King
3. Family (single/married/kids): single
4. Occupation: Scientist. Currently working as a science technician at a local school but I'd like to get back into research one day.
5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: Through google
6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Must have been about 10. My mum got me a selection of fantasy books for Christmas. I can't remember the others but one was Prince Caspian. I loved it and when I discovered it was part of a series I just had to get the others
7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: I've lost count! It must be dozens of times!
8. Favourite of the Chronicles: A tie between A Horse and His Boy and the Last Battle. But I love them all!
9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: Interests include classical music, reading (mainly sci-fi and fantasy but some classical literature as well), computer programming and tennis (both watching and playing although I'm rubbish at the latter)
hermit
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Welcome to NarniaWeb, hermit! :-h

I think it's really interesting that your introduction to CoN was with Prince Caspian—what a unique experience! PC was one of my least favorites among the stories when I first read the Chronicles years ago, but it's leapfrogged over the years and now I find it's one of my top books in the series. :)

Great time to join the forum with the SC movie getting started! If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask. Enjoy exploring the discussions! :D
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby hermit » Sep 04, 2017 11:09 pm

Thanks Rose!
PC does have a rather odd structure, but it certainly worked for me as a 10 year old (still does for that matter) and there are moments in it, like the Romp and the conjunction of Tarva and Alambil that even now bring tears to my eyes an a lump to my throat.
I'm both excited and worried about the SC movie. I understand the difficulties of adapting a novel to the screen, but the previous 3 films have left out or changed so much that was precious to me about the books. Still, what I've heard about the proposed SC movie has been encouraging, so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic :)
hermit
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Amen @ those wonderful scenes in PC! :ymapplause:

My feelings about the upcoming film are mixed as well. On the one hand, I feel great about the scriptwriter and I think the director and the studio could be a good fit, but... I'm still trying to get over VDT. ;))

I meant to mention this before... since you like classical music, you might want to check out the favorite music thread. I like classical as well, but my knowledge of it is somewhat limited and I always like hearing about composers and pieces that people like!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Eustace » Sep 05, 2017 4:28 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Eustace

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen

3. Family (single/married/kids): Single

4. Occupation: Babysitter/Substitute Teacher

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb:
After the LWW movie, I found the webite, I don't remember how exactly. Probably just researching for the next movie, but I didn't join the forum immediately.

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: That's a hard one because I listened to audiobooks before I read books back then. I know I had the audiobooks at least age 9 but, I did not read the books on my own till I was at least 10 or 11. (My first book I read on my own was HHB). But, also those audio books were abridged so, it is hard to say that really counts. I know I only read my first book because I was so confused about the story because the abridged left so much out.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Several times.
8. Favorite of the Chronicles: Voyage of the Dawn Treader

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I love to write stories. I have been writing since I was 10, and I pretty much never stopped. I also run three blogs on my personal thoughts and reviews of things.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm familiar with your username and avatar, Eustace, but it's nice to see you post in Getting to Know You!

So neat that the first book you ever read on your own was The Horse and His Boy! There's something special about the first book that you read by yourself, and I imagine it's extra special if it's a Narnia book.

I've been writing since I was 10 as well. You might like to check out Writer's World here in the Spare Oom!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Kalta79 » Oct 26, 2017 10:53 pm

1. Name (please avoid your real full name): Kalta

2. King or Queen of Narnia (guy or girl): Queen

3. Family (single/married/kids): Single

4. Occupation: I do odd jobs in our area, no specific paycheck type job.

5. How you learned about NarniaWeb: I was doing a search about Narnia and this site turned up in the results.

6. How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: Sometime after the BBC version came out, I can't remember exactly when.

7. How many times have you read the Chronicles: Several times.

8. Favorite of the Chronicles: It's a toss-up between LWW, MN, and LB(I know it's not popular, but the meat of the book was good, and it definitely provoked reactions in me, which beats a book that one finds totally boring and forgettable). MN struck a chord with me mainly because of Jadis' line in Charn "It is cold here at the end of all the ages." That line just stuck with me...plus Uncle Andrew being considered a pet by the new Talking Beasts was funny.

9. Hobbies and/or interesting things about you: I'm a disabled homesteader who is somewhat of a literary snob/purist. I haven't seen the recent film version...well I just saw one part at a friend's, the fight with the wolves on the frozen river, and knowing that wasn't in the book, that it was most likely put in for commercial value, put me off those movies. So I don't bother comparing the BBC version to it, since I haven't seen the entire Walden version, and don't intend to. The only time I never got upset with a literary adaptation was Wicked. I read the whole series, and I much prefer the musical overall. I also write fanfiction, and I have six cats, only two of whom were planned, the rest pretty much literally just showed up on our doorstep.
Kalta79
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext