This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Aug 21, 2017 - Eclipse in Missouri (hopefully), come join us

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Looking more, and more like a washout for us here in Minnesota. If more vacation time were available further south would be an option, but the Mrs., and I might actually have to head further north to catch any clear skies :((
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Aug 20, 2017 7:05 am

What a shame, friend Wiggle. :( We shall be getting that storm the following day.

For tomorrow, the forecast is a mixture of sun and cloud. I have my (recommended) solar viewers out and ready to go. My husband will be flying to CA on business as the eclipse is happening, so I am sending a viewer with him. Wouldn't it be cool to see this heavenly spectacle from a plane?!

Sure hoping it's clear for those NWebbers mooting in MO!
johobbit

Postby coracle » Aug 20, 2017 8:00 am

What we will get here in Manchester is a small partial eclipse (very small) at sunset. Hope yours is great!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby stargazer » Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks Jo and Auntie! Happy viewing.

We're closely watching the various weather models and predictions. Results vary widely but we have a shot at totality. Keeping our fingers and eyes crossed!

It's quite warm and very humid here, and the sky was so hazy this evening that Saturn and the Big Dipper were seriously dimmed. Still hopeful we'll see something tomorrow...and it's fun meeting NarniaWebbers new and old. :)
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Aug 21, 2017 7:28 am

:D stargazer!

For those of us out of the line of totality, skyandtelescope has given online viewing options. I will certainly be tuning in to one of these, as well as standing outside our place here in SW Ontario, Canada to watch 75% coverage of the sun with my eclipse glasses on. Clouds and storms are expected to move in later, but I'm sure hoping it's after at least 2:30 pm EDT.

Enjoy, everyone! And stay safe.

P.S. I forgot to give my husband the solar viewers this morning when we left for the airport shuttle at 3:30 a.m. (-| ;)) but is it too much to hope that the airline will have some to hand out to the passengers? :-? (*)
johobbit

Postby fantasia » Aug 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Very thankful that we did indeed get to see totality. We were pretty worried we weren't going to be able to because we had some big storms just to the west of us and clouds made their appearance here. We lost site of the sun as the eclipse was starting, but when totality arrived, we only had a mild covering and it was very obvious to see.

I had goosebumps. So amazing.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

The eclipse is now over, and what a treat it was, even though we 'only' had about 75 - 80% totality here. The last bit of the Moon just left. I wish the entire process could last longer. The lighting, especially, was so unusual: an eerie twilight look—very mysterious and very beautiful.

I borrowed an idea from someone else, and took out one of our colanders, projecting the eclipse through its myriad holes to the pavement. So cool!

Even though I so wish I could have been with the MO Mooters, it was fun sharing the eclipse with a couple of online NWeb friends here. :D

We began with clear skies, then high, intermittent clouds took over. At first I was disappointed, but then realized it gave the eclipse even more of an air of mystery, which was actually gorgeous. The skies cleared again for our 75% coverage until the conclusion. ♥

The entire event felt quite surreal.

And so, until April, 2024! B-) When totality should be more this direction. So, another Canadian or Ohio Moot? :ymsmug: :D

Really, really glad you guys in MO were able to take it in in such an unforgettable experience. And together too! ♥ :ymhug: Goosebumps, indeed! (And that was without full totality here.)

Puddleglum, how did your area fare? And coracle, did you catch any of it?
johobbit

Postby Varnafinde » Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm

johobbit wrote:Really, really glad you guys in MO were able to take it in! :ymhug: Goosebumps, indeed!

I'm glad about that, too!
If anything of a partial eclipse could be seen in Norway, it would have been while I was travelling on a train, and I didn't see any of it.

Instead I'm now watching NASA's recordings of today's coverage, so I've seen a total eclipse on TV, and even that is great. Especially the moment when the first part of the sun appears again after the eclipse, and there is the Diamond Ring - amazing. :-o

I can't imagine what it must have been like to see it live. And for you to experience it together. I'm so happy for you :ymhug:
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Puddleglum » Aug 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Sadly good hobbit the Mrs., and I were having to settle for taking pictures of news coverage. The rain finally ended so we could step outside, but even though we could just make out the sun all attempts at photography heralded nothing but bright smudges :((
One possible bright side ( no pun intended ) we found a site that predicted another eclipse in seven years. This one will also go diagonally, but from South West to North East this time. Looking for a site that will provide images from space as the shadow passed over. Tried NASA, but so far no luck. I did fond one photo posted on fb showing the sun about 45% covered with the ISS passing across the sun. That was well timed if it was planned.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Stylteralmaldo » Aug 22, 2017 4:34 am

Wonderful time viewing this event with friends and family (my brother attended with the mooters in MO).

So thankful and blessed to have this opportunity. I had goosebumps just prior to totality and got a little emotional. Wasn't expecting that. :)

My nickname emoji: :@)

...Let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity,...with instruction about ablutions, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. (Hebrews 6:1-2)
Stylteralmaldo
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Bloodlines Guru

Postby johobbit » Aug 22, 2017 5:24 am

Sorry to hear that, Puddleglum. :( Yes, the next eclipse's path of totality heads more this way, so hurrah! I did briefly see a site that had the wonderful shadow image, but forget where that was now. :P I'm sure it will be posted in plenty today. I'd like to see it more too. Cool shot with the ISS passing across that unique heavenly sight, wow!

:D Sty. So glad you and your brother could be there with the Mooting gang.

Sty wrote:and got a little emotional. Wasn't expecting that.

Ditto, I found this experience quite a worshipful time, as we again saw a glimpse of the glory of the magnificent artistry and design of our Creator.
johobbit

Postby aileth » Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am

Friends of ours drove all the way to Oregon to see the event. Not us, though. Don't know what percentage we had here in southern BC; we did have the chance to do fun shadow things. Forked fingers--so weird! Best of all, through high and wispy clouds, we were treated to a very brief rainbow/sunbow with a second colourless white bow intersecting it.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Shawna » Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am

We had perfectly clear weather for the eclipse. I think it's very cool that of all the places in the world, the totality happened where I had as a good a view as anyone could want from my own bedroom window. Very, very cool. Just too bad it didn't last very long. One of the most amazing things was how it was still like 98% normal daylight when there was only a tiny sliver of the sun not covered by the moon. Also kind of funny how pretty much as soon as totality passed, everyone went back to ignoring the sun. It also wasn't nearly as busy/crazy in the area as some were predicting, which was a welcome surprise.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Gymfan15 » Aug 22, 2017 3:28 pm

I think for me, the craziest thing was just how fast it seemed...I think we had just over two minutes of totality in Columbia, MO, but it really felt like 30 seconds...barely felt like any time passed from when we took off our glasses to when we could see the beads appear again.

Absolutely stunning...I now understand why people chase eclipses. I knew it would be amazing but I didn't realize just how much. Truly awe-inspiring.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby stargazer » Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

I was still overwhelmed even though I'd experienced totality before. It's such a surreal experience...not just the corona itself, but the weird quality of the rapidly-fading light, the descending shadow, and the diamond rings. Just incredible. The cliche is that totality always lasts 8 seconds, and it seemed true here.

So glad to have seen it with friends from NarniaWeb!
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 23, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm glad you all took such an interest together, too. For what it is worth, this celestial event was reported on our TV news channels, and there was a composite picture of the event accompanying an article published one or two ago in our Daily Telegraph (Australia). I have to keep reminding myself that USA is behind our time by almost 24 hours.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext