This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Television Discussion Thread

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: The Television Discussion Thread

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Less than a month before When Calls The Heart returns! I am certainly looking forward to see what Hallmark has in store for the Hearties this season. It looks like there will be quite a few new faces in Hope Valley including someone that's with the railroad. :|

My brother recently purchased the first two seasons for The Wild Wild West (1965-1969) and the whole family has been enjoying watch the first season. My parents had both seen the show years ago, but this is my siblings and mine first experience with it. Surprise, we love it! ;) Seriously I grow up watching Roy Rogers and John Wayne movies on VHS, I love westerns.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby ValiantArcher » Jan 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Is the new railroad face someone you don't like, SA, or just someone who could generate a lot of drama? ;))
I've seen some episodes of The Wild Wild West and it's a fun show. :D I liked the sci-fi/steampunk elements mixed in with the western setting/stories.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this most recent season of Sherlock? I haven't seen the last episode yet, but I haven't been thrilled so far with the season. They killed Mary off and then had John's fascination with the lady who now is Sherlock's sister? I guess I'll try to watch the last episode and see if it gets better or worse. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 21, 2017 11:38 pm

I liked The Lying Detective, but The Six Thatchers and The Final Problem were ... not good. Honestly, I hope this is the series finale or, if they do come back, that they come back with better writing because it feels like Moffat and Gatiss have basically decided that a constant stream of shiny things is more important than coherent writing.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby shastastwin » Jan 22, 2017 8:22 pm

I second that, Bookwyrm. This season felt very un-Sherlock the whole way through, with some nice emotional moments here and there.

We aren't much for keeping up with TV (and even less so now that Samwise is around) but we started the latest (and last :(( ) season of Bones tonight and I'm very pleased with the direction they're taking. Even if the solution to this episode's mystery was obvious very early on.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby SnowAngel » Jan 28, 2017 6:10 pm

ValiantArcher wrote:Is the new railroad face someone you don't like, SA, or just someone who could generate a lot of drama? ;))
Well, the actor has been several Hallmark movies mostly as a good guy which means he is due to play a bad guy. /:) It looks like there will be at least 8 new characters and since there are already quite a few characters in the show I am worried there will be too many main/secondary characters.

The whole family has been watching The Wild Wild West, so it is not really surprising that my little brother's new cowboy Playmobils are named Jim and Artemus. :D

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm

When Calls The Heart returned to Hallmark this week!!! Episode one of season 4 was really good. I enjoyed the banter between Lee and Rosemary (Squidget???), Jack and Elizabeth had several good scenes together, and of course I loved the baseball scenes. :D I don't like the railroad guys, they seem really shifty to me.

Last summer Hallmark had a new show, Chesapeake Shores, that my sisters, Mom, and I watched. I would recommend it for teens and up since there is a lot of family conflict and two divorced couples. Chesapeake Shores was renewed for a second season that will air late summer 2017. Season one ended on a huge cliffhanger, so I am looking forward to see what happens next. :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

Hallmark renewed When Calls The Heart for a fifth season right after season four ended. And last week they announced another When Calls The Heart Christmas special air this coming Christmas season. :D Love the plot summary, best part Jack will be back at least for Christmas. \:D/

Chesapeake Shores returns the end of July! :D Really excited about this show, too!

Lately my sisters, Mom, and I have been watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King. We are almost done with the second season, and I already put in a request for season three from the library. Love summertime trips to the library! :D This show has quickly (in less than three weeks) become one of my favorites. Lee (Scarecrow) and Amanda (Mrs. King) are so cute together and so funny.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Ryadian » Jul 03, 2017 11:47 am

In regards to the Sherlock conversation, now that I've finally seen series 4, I'm afraid I'm in agreement with Bookwyrm - I kind of want them to be done before they can dig themselves any deeper. I felt like the last scene could serve as an acceptable send-off. Admittedly, I wasn't all that thrilled with series 3 - I think they peaked in series 2.

SnowAngel wrote:Lately my sisters, Mom, and I have been watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King ... This show has quickly (in less than three weeks) become one of my favorites. Lee (Scarecrow) and Amanda (Mrs. King) are so cute together and so funny.

Ooh, good choice! That was a show my mom loved when it was on the air, so she introduced it to us a few years ago when it came out on DVD. It was a little weird for me at first because the first thing I saw Bruce Boxleitner in was Babylon 5, where he plays a rather different character, but I got over it eventually. ;)) I also love Lee and Amanda's chemistry, and I especially love Amanda - she's such a fun character. :)

I finally got around to having the Avatar: The Last Airbender marathon I've been threatening to have for a couple of years now. ;)) My brother joined me about halfway through season 2, and we're just about to hid mid-season 3. I've been thoroughly reminded of how much I love this show. ;)) I'm also realizing so many interesting details about how things change and the story really, truly progresses between seasons - I took a lot of things for granted when I was watching them while the show was on. My choice of timing was pretty bad, though, since my brother is leaving for three weeks starting on Wednesday, so... we're going to be trying to cram about 12 episodes into the next two days of competing schedules so we can finish before he leaves. ;)) I have the day off tomorrow for the 4th of July, but he doesn't, so that'll make things interesting.

We also desperately need to catch up on The Flash. ;)) I think my family has basically given up on broadcast TV and switched over entirely to Netflix - which is more convenient, but it also means we're a season behind everyone else at best. ;)
We just started on Season 2, and but I think both seasons 2 and 3 are now available on Netflix, so... hopefully we'll actually get around to catching up. ;)) (We're debating whether or not we want to continue with Arrow. We watched the season 4 premeire and were not impressed.)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Arwenel » Jul 03, 2017 10:01 pm

Seeing references to Sherlock and Avatar: The Last Airbender above reminds me how weird human reactions to hype can be. For example, hearing from everyone around me about how awesome Sherlock was (back when it first came out, mostly) just made me decide that i never wanted to watch it, but hearing so much about how awesome A:TLA was made me decide eventually to give it a shot. I still haven't finished it, but i really do intend to do that one of these days.

I did just finish watching both seasons of Voltron: Legendary Defender, the new Dreamworks/Netflix version. A search for posts containing "Voltron" brought up 2, neither of which referred to the current series, which is kinda funny to me because i was seeing it mentioned everywhere on Tumblr. Hence why i started watching it.

Once you accept that this is an animated kids show about people fighting evil purple aliens by flying giant magictech space lions that can combine into a giant space robot, it's very enjoyable. I really like that it's an ensemble show, and that the ensemble is made up of interesting, developed characters. I still have my favorites, but there's something i like about all of them.

Apparently some of the writers hail from the A:TLA/LoK series, which doesn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me was that one of the main characters is voiced by Steven Yeun, who portrayed Glenn on The Walking Dead.
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind
Some come from above, some come from behind
But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
~ Dr. Seuss
Arwenel
NarniaWeb Guru
"We Mistborn need not make sense." (BC)

Postby SnowAngel » Jul 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Ryadian wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:Lately my sisters, Mom, and I have been watching Scarecrow and Mrs. King ... This show has quickly (in less than three weeks) become one of my favorites. Lee (Scarecrow) and Amanda (Mrs. King) are so cute together and so funny.
Ooh, good choice! That was a show my mom loved when it was on the air, so she introduced it to us a few years ago when it came out on DVD. It was a little weird for me at first because the first thing I saw Bruce Boxleitner in was Babylon 5, where he plays a rather different character, but I got over it eventually. ;)) I also love Lee and Amanda's chemistry, and I especially love Amanda - she's such a fun character. :)
Cool. I am the one that got the DVDs from the library, but it was my Mom who asked me to look for them. :D Lee and Amanda's relationship has been a lot of fun to watch, I love how they have learn to work with each others' strengths. I wish the DVDs weren't so expensive.

I was whining to one of my sisters the other day about having to wait a couple of days in between episodes because we had been watching Ben-Hur with older brother in the evening. She was having none of it. 8-| ;)

I am currently waiting barely patiently for the fourth and final season to arrive at the library (I placed an interlibrary loan request for it).

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby SnowAngel » Aug 04, 2017 9:10 pm

My mom, sisters, and I finished the fourth season of Scarecrow and Mrs. King this week. I was happy to see the series ended well, but would have loved a full season with them married. What little there was with Lee and Amanda married was very sweet. ;;)

It was good timing to finish Scarecrow and Mrs. King because now we can have a rewatch of Chesapeake Shores season one and then start right into season two! :)

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Eustace » Sep 07, 2017 9:23 pm

SnowAngel wrote:
Last summer Hallmark had a new show, Chesapeake Shores, that my sisters, Mom, and I watched. I would recommend it for teens and up since there is a lot of family conflict and two divorced couples. Chesapeake Shores was renewed for a second season that will air late summer 2017. Season one ended on a huge cliffhanger, so I am looking forward to see what happens next. :)

SnowAngel

Hey, my mom and sister did that too. We are now watching season 2 and I am enjoying it so much.

Also, I have never seen it mentioned so I wanted to ask did anyone watch H2O: just add water, or Ocean girl. Those my two favourite Aussie shows. Although, I ignore season 3 of H2O like it did not happen.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Sep 08, 2017 6:15 pm

For the past few months, the 'Heroes and Icons' broadcast/cable channel has been running its All Star Trek promotion - each evening it plays the episodes, in order, from each of the 5 Trek TV shows. I saw them when they first aired, but it's been kind of fun catching up on them again. It's also interesting to see how some of the shows changed from beginning to end (for example, DS9 just finished the other day so the pilot aired the next day. I'd forgotten many of the details of the pilot and it seemed a little rough around the edges compared to episodes from later in the series).
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby SnowAngel » Sep 11, 2017 11:50 am

Eustace wrote:
SnowAngel wrote:

Hey, my mom and sister did that too. We are now watching season 2 and I am enjoying it so much.
Hey, Eustace! I love Chesapeake Shores, all of the sibling stuff is so awesome. I was surprised that season 2 actually picked up right where season 1 ended.

One thing that has me confused with the show is Kevin, how did he go from active duty Army to former Army without returning to his duty station for one or two episodes.

SnowAngel
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby Shawna » Sep 12, 2017 10:19 am

I saw series 4 of Sherlock recently, so I'm all caught up on that show. I'll probably keep watching it if they keep making it, but it really isn't nearly as good as the show itself seems to think it is.

IMO, Elementary is much better.
author webpage: http://shawnacanon.com
Shawna
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Eustace » Sep 13, 2017 1:51 pm

SnowAngel wrote:
One thing that has me confused with the show is Kevin, how did he go from active duty Army to former Army without returning to his duty station for one or two episodes.

SnowAngel[/color]

We were wondering how Kevin became completely fine just after a summer, especially when he fell out of a tree house, but, I guess that will never be answered either.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext