This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

The community lounge for non-Narnian discussions.

Moderators: stargazer, johobbit

Re: Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Postby stargazer » Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Our weather is doing its usual spring thing: exhibiting lots of confusion. ;)) One day it's warm enough for a fire (like it was last Friday), then we get about an inch (25mm) of snow a few days later, and now it's drizzling with a chance of heavy thunderstorms and severe storms tomorrow...
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Been away for awhile. I can completely agree with stargazer on the fickle weather we have been having. Upper 60's f dropping into the mid 40's.
We had two inches of rain today, and we might be looking at frost in the morning. Sitting here the Mrs. has just heard the sump pump kick in as well. I'm waiting for a blizzard warning.
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Apr 25, 2017 11:20 am

Big snow in Minnesota this late in the season? Well, maybe so. ;))

It's 70F/21C but a cold front is coming, bringing rain and possibly snow by the weekend. (And Rapid City, South Dakota, is getting snow right now).

Hopefully the rain and snow will knock some of this pollen out of the air.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby fantasia » Apr 26, 2017 6:21 am

/waves hi to Puddleglum. Good to see you again! :)

Well your above mentioned cold front arrived here in Kansas yesterday. We're not expecting any blizzards, but it's wet, cold, windy, and generally unpleasant to be outside. The rest of the week and over the weekend are off and on showers with high temps in the mid 50Fs to low 60Fs. But next week we should be back to 70Fs again which I look forward to as I can toss my kids back into the backyard again. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby stargazer » Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

After a spectacular series of days last weekend, with highs over 60F/15C (and a fire with friends and a wildflower hike), blustery colder weather has arrived. It even snowed a little yesterday, here at the end of April. ;))

The northeast parts of Minnesota received up to an inch (25mm) of ice.

In a separate storm, the Denver area is under a winter storm warning and may get up to a foot (300mm) of new snow.

Ah, spring. :)

Edited May 3 to add: the previous weekend was cool, windy, and wet, with big snowflakes occasionally mixing in. Nothing like marking May Day with snow. :)
stargazer

Postby stargazer » May 16, 2017 9:21 am

There still might be 12 days left in our possible snow season but our weather is in an unsettled spring/summer state. Just yesterday I was driving in an open space and had a good view of an approaching thunderstorm, with mammatus clouds to my east and some dark, ominous clouds to the southwest, along with a great view of the approaching rain shaft. Minutes later it was torrential rain - only to clear up again about an hour later. It clouded over again during the night and there was another round of storms before dawn. Rinse and repeat. ;)

The forecast called for a hot humid day today, with the first 90F/32C reading of the season, but right now it is cloudy so we won't hit that if we are lucky.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » May 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Puddleglum, welcome back! We've missed you. Any upcoming camping plans? :)

We had a bit of snow around the same time as your area, stargazer and friend Wiggle. Nothing accumulated, but still very pretty. The few early spring plants that had already started to poke their heads through the ground were mighty confused. ;)) During those freezing nights (four in a row—gorgeous walking weather!), the farmers had to use huge fans in their apple orchards so those tender young 'uns would not freeze. Living in farm country now, I appreciate all the more the tremendous amount of work and care and dedication that farmers exhibit, day in and day out!

fantasia wrote:But next week we should be back to 70Fs again which I look forward to as I can toss my kids back into the backyard again. ;)

Oooohhh yeah! ;)) :D

stargazer, your open vista view sounds amazing. Mammatus clouds are so very cool, and, wow, that rain shaft. Magnificent! Quite the adventurous sky!

Today we hit nearly 100F with the heat index. #:-s Although there was a stiff breeze, plus a bit of cloud cover, and, being early in the season, 'though it was very warm, it didn't feel unbearable. Yet. 'Tis a foretaste of July weather, which is my least favourite month of the year. About mid-June is when I begin counting the days until late August/early September.

Tomorrow should be unseasonably warm, with rain heading in during the evening to cool things off nicely for awhile again, yay!
johobbit

Postby fantasia » May 17, 2017 7:08 pm

We haven't hit that kind of heat yet. I think we got up to 90F a day or two ago, probably the same front currently at your place Jo, but the heat index wasn't that high.
The wind has been INSANE though. It makes it extremely unpleasent to be outside when it's sustained 25mph gusting to 40mph. Blegh.
I also missed the memo that yesterday's line of storms were supposed to include tornadoes? I had no idea until I checked the radar to find out when they were supposed to get to my area and saw about 5 tornado warnings in western Kansas and Oklahoma. I know a couple of those little towns got hit hard. :(
We're supposed to get some nasty storms moving through tomorrow late afternoon again. We're not in the core of the predicted bad weather, but we're not too far off either.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Puddleglum » May 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Good to be back my good Hobbit. I have had plans on camping, but more on that on the proper thread.
Meantime, it appears that the weather is active in more places than just my neck of the woods. There were tornados in Iowa as well that unfortunately cut right through a trailer home park. Thankfully many volunteers have stepped up to assist those worst hit.
As for locally. We just turned on the central air three days ago because of the heat. Guess what? It dropped to 39F last night. Yep. This old web foot just turned the heater back on!
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » May 19, 2017 10:32 pm

This old polar bear was just glad to turn the AC off and enjoy the fresh air again! The heat and humidity will be here to stay all too soon.

Before the cool air arrived there was lots of rain and some small hail, but fortunately nothing big. Several EF-0 tornadoes were reported around here the past few days, but nothing like the big storms that blew through Kansas and areas south on Friday.
stargazer

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jun 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Whereas winter has officially started down here. But the coldest day so far was about 29th May, with minimums of 0C and 2C. Though the nights are distinctly chilly the days can still be warm to a pleasant degree.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby stargazer » Jun 03, 2017 8:33 pm

2C sounds so refreshing right now. ;))

Summer has arrived here, with high temps locally reaching 93F/34C, a balmy 17F/9C over average. Towns just east of here were pushing the 100F/38C mark. That's rather unusual so early in the season.

A cold front pushed through all that heat and humidity this afternoon, bringing with it all the stuff of interesting weather: high winds, lots of thunder and lightning, small hail, torrential rain, and even a power outage.

It's still warmer than the average high right now, and it's 10.30pm.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

The storm fronts have been a little sporadic in this part of the state. We have been actually getting a little dry as late. As much as I hate being cooped up in the wig warm it would be nice to hear some rainfall on the roof.
The also a bit more on the humid side now, especially while pushing the lawn mower. #:-s
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby stargazer » Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

The weather has definitely flipped from a wet to a dry, hot pattern. Last weekend was hot, as noted above, and this weekend may be hotter, bringing the first 100F/38C temperatures in several years.

Today was a pleasant summer day, so I enjoyed a campfire at a local park and grilled some tasty bratwurst before the heat moves back in.
stargazer

Postby Puddleglum » Jun 07, 2017 7:42 pm

The Mrs., and I hope to be enjoying some time around the fire tomorrow night with our Bible study. The little front that moved through the state earlier was unbelievably sporadic. I was talking on the phone with some one just a few miles away, and they were getting hail. Dry as a bone here. The Mrs. Had a ladies study just a little while ago. She was not a mile away, and it poured for a few minutes. Did we get anything here? Not a drop.
:-o
Puddleglum
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby johobbit » Jun 09, 2017 12:46 pm

Ahhh, campfires. We're enjoying them too. :D I can't get enough of sitting together with family and friends, chatting, toasting marshmallows, reveling in the dancing flames and beautiful embers. That's cool (or warm ;) ) you have your Bible studies around the fire, friend Wiggle (first typed 'friend Giggle' ;))). Those must be special times.

wagga wrote:Whereas winter has officially started down here. But the coldest day so far was about 29th May, with minimums of 0C and 2C.

stargazer wrote:2C sounds so refreshing right now. ;))

Hear-hear, 'gazer. ;)) That does sounds mightly lovely, wagga. Quite different from our corner of the world, of course: our Saturday's warming up, then Sunday the heatwave hits. Early next week could be record-breaking for this time of year here in SW Ontario #:-s possibly feeling near or over 38C/100F, with nighttime temps around 20C/68F, with humidity, ugh. This is a far cry from our near freezing overnight temps a week or so ago, which were SO refreshing! Anyway, suck it up, Jo, because summer's only beginning. :P *counting the days until autumn* ymwhisle

We have had a very decent amount of rain this spring. In fact, it was so wet that the farmers are only able to plant their soybeans in the last week, which is quite late. However, cornfields are already sprouting 2-3" high. So cute.
;))
johobbit

PreviousNext