This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Who should play Eustace?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Who should play Eustace?

Will Poulter
40%
Someone new
60%

Total votes : 40

Re: Who should play Eustace?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 06, 2016 7:44 pm

Milo Parker has a very Eustace-y look about him in that picture, narnia fan 7! With the arched eyebrows, he even bears a slight resemblance to Will Poulter. I haven't seen him act yet, but he looks like he could be a good choice, although that all depends on how fast he ages at this point.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby coracle » Aug 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Indeed! I searched his name on facebook, and found a little interview with him about the new TVshow The Durrells, in which he plays the young Gerald Durrell (famous naturalist, worth looking up!).
I do like him, can see him being a great replacement Eustace.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby MountainFireflower » Aug 12, 2016 10:32 pm

As much as I would love to have Will Poulter return, I highly doubt he will. Milo Parker is perfect, though, especially since he's on the younger side. We don't know how long it will take until they film, so the fact that he can still age a bit without aging out of the role is a major plus. His face is so expressive! I can definitely see him as Eustace. :D
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Eustace » Feb 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Now, we don't have to actually get a younger actor, we just have to get a younger looking actor. Thomas Brodie-Sangster is someone I'd like to see play Eustace. I think he could pull it off, and he still looks really young.

Milo Parker may be too young, at least he looks younger than 12 to me. But, maybe he would do a fine job.

I also was watching The Space Between us the other day and I thought, why can't Asa Butterfield be a potential Eustace. He looks young enough, as he is still passing as a 16 year old and I think depending on what age they want 13-16 is my age range I want for Eustace he could pull it off.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Feb 23, 2017 1:31 am

These are three popular current young actors. :)
Thomas Brodie-Sangster is 26 - 3 years older than Will Poulter who played him in VDT. I'm sure that is too old. Asa is almost 20, and looking at his face I don't think he could play 13/14
Milo Parker is 14, which might be great to be the new Eustace, but he is a well known face, so they might not choose him for that reason.
Eustace will appear in The Last Battle, and he still needs to look like a schoolboy of 16/17, so he needs to be really believable for 13/14 for Silver Chair.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Thomas Brodie-Sangster has always had a really Eustace-y look to me, coracle. I think he's probably much too old as well, although I've considered that at least you wouldn't have to worry about him aging too much in between SC and LB!

There was a recent film released called A Monster Calls (ironically with Liam Neeson voicing the monster) that starred a boy named Lewis MacDougall, and he actually looks a lot like how I picture Eustace — at least, when my imagination is being influenced by the Pauline Baynes illustrations and Will Poulter's portrayal of Eustace isn't sneaking onto my mental stage. Unfortunately, MacDougall will be fifteen in June and he's already grown up a bit as it is, looking at pictures from the recent film premiere, so I doubt that he would work. (Unless the filmmakers are intending to make Jill and Eustace fifteen or sixteen years old, and I hope they are not!)

All that said, I wouldn't mind if the filmmakers went with a Eustace who looked quite a bit different from Will Poulter. I used to want more visual continuity with Poulter's performance, but as the years have stretched on, it seems less important — especially if SC's Eustace looks younger than the Eustace of VDT. (Will Poulter was sixteen during filming and looked at least fourteen, imo.)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anhun » Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Thomas Brodie-Sangster is my top choice for Shasta in HHB. I've always thought of Shasta as being in his mid-teens. But, for Eustace, I would really want a fresh face.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Mar 23, 2017 3:04 am

Anhun, would it matter to you that Thomas Brodie-Sangster is in his mid 20s now? Have you seen recent photos of him? Do you think he would look good playing a blond?

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 23, 2017 1:04 pm

My top choice to play Shasta would be Wart from Disney's The Sword in the Stone, and come to think of it, Thomas Brodie-Sangster looks a bit like an older Wart brought to life. Our mental images of Shasta must be similar, Anhun. ;))

This picture of him was from a couple of years ago, coracle; I think his hair would qualify as dark blond there. He's really youthful-looking, but I'm not sure he could pass for fourteen. I feel like he also may be too tall for Shasta: he's 5'10". Were he to be cast as Eustace, though, maybe his height would not be quite as noticeable because Puddleglum is going to be so unusually tall.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Anhun » Mar 23, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't see why Shasta has to be a blonde and not a red head (and we've seen TBS as a red head). The important point to the plot is that he is a hair color minority.

Yes, I know he's in his twenties, but he looks young for his age. I think he could definitely pass for 16, especially if he shaved that awful mustache off.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Mar 25, 2017 12:26 am

I agree that the picture of Thomas from the link above does show him as a slight, youngish guy. But if he is also very tall, that would probably rule him out, for both Eustace and Shasta.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 25, 2017 11:45 am

Mod Note: This thread is for discussing who should play Eustace. If you would like to discuss who should play Shasta, please open a new thread to do it. Thanks!
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby stateofgreen » Apr 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I would much prefer an unknown brilliant young actor like Will who really has the essence of Eustace. Hope he is out there somewhere and that Nina Gold can find him!

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Eustace » Sep 08, 2017 10:26 am

I looked up British child actors and I found one that may work who is relatively unknown and looks like he could be a good Eustace to me. His name is Nathan Mack.
Attachments
MV5BNmYwYWYzMGMtMzliYS00ZWY0LWFhNjUtNzRhMGY0MmZiMjE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
MV5BNmYwYWYzMGMtMzliYS00ZWY0LWFhNjUtNzRhMGY0MmZiMjE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 17171 times
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Hwinning » Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm

I looked up a Beauty and the Beast movie interview with Nathan Mack in it and he looks like a great fit for Eustace (Nathan played Chip). He's either 10 or 12 (Wikipedia is giving conflicting ages) so by the time they start filming hopefully he won't age too much.
Hwinning
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous