This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What's your favorite Narnia film?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: What's your favorite Narnia film?

Postby jewel » Oct 30, 2014 4:23 pm

CorazonBandido55, I'm surprised to here anyone say that they like LWW less than the other Narnians. Thanks for the input However, nevertheless LWW I think carries an important meaning more than the other Narnias. While Prince Caspian and VDT may have more of an emotional story, they are also built on LWW.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Nic5 » Nov 01, 2014 7:30 pm

CaptainM wrote:In a way I don't think of them being individual movies but more of the same one. But my favorite is a tie LWW and PC. I think that PC has a better story
and LWW has a better last battle.

That's because the last army battle in PC is in the way of the film's resolution. ;)

AA Director way is really good at building up momentum & story, for PC's previous run time and through Lw&W, but here it suddenly gets uncharacteristicly lost. I think because PC was a bigger movie, AA just had to much on his plate at the time, as it just doesn't make sense to the rest of story flow.

We've had the army battle mid way through the film, we've had the solo combat, the character arcs have come full circle, now all the story momentum is poised for Lucy to meet Aslan, awaken the trees which is the symbolic moment that the film has been about establishing, & have the trees come into battle to save the Narnians who are overwhelmed, then the Narnian kingdom to be re-established.

If you skip to the next chapter on dvd just after Peter vs Miraz and catapults start slinging, you go directly to Lucy finding Aslan, and the film flow doesn't miss a beat and continues to peak, for an 'amazing' Narnia film

Otherwise you go through the jarring underground tunnel and fopllwing 'rarrgh' battle that dramatically drags in a way film up to that point never did.
Nic5
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 29, 2014 2:25 am

LWW, though I prefer the PC soundtrack. But LWW really captures the spirit of Narnia in a way the other two have not.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Golg » Apr 22, 2015 1:02 am

LLW, it was that film that introduced me to the books. I love it even more after reading the books.

I would have liked PC better, if it wasn't for S*spian (I dare not say or type that shipping name aloud or completely, for I fear it may be the Deplorable World). I think I might make a S*spian in Windows Media Maker by cutting out the right scenes. :D

What is sad is that of the three books Walden has adapted thus far, VDT was my favorite, and it would have been the first Narnia film I would have watched after reading the books (I had picked them up shortly after PC), and it turned out to be awful.
Golg
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Future Narnian » Jun 26, 2015 12:56 pm

I apparently never responded to this, so here goes:

As adaptations, I would say LWW is without a doubt the best, followed by PC and then VDT.

That said, if I'm just enjoying them as movies for the sake of movies, I would rank VDT above PC. As much as the Green Mist annoyed me, I found it preferable to watch than all the fighting in PC. Not to mention that I felt like there was way too much screentime given to the villains during PC and that scene at the shore "How many men did you lose?" just gave me the creeps.
Future Narnian
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 7:20 pm

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is my favorite mostly because of the greatness of Mr. Tumnus. It was also the first of the movies I watched and it set me off on really loving them.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby jewel » Nov 29, 2016 7:53 am

Too many scenes of villains in Prince Caspian? I didn't think so. It gave a more thrilling ride to the story.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bree » Dec 04, 2016 7:51 am

To me this is a hard question to answer :-\
LWW was certainly more 'magical' and family friendly, however I felt PC had more of emotional element to it. On first seeing PC I was annoyed that they had put the extra castle night invasion scene in, however it is actually a way of getting more emotion into the movie. By making the first attack and by this failing terribly, gives you a sense of how determined and then desperate the Narnians were - that last scene where you see the minotaurs head falling back as he dies onto the rest of the dead Narnians is beautifully shot. I also like the subtle attraction between Susan and Caspian - the kids are getting older!
DT although entertaining, just deviated too much for my liking.
Bree
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 04, 2016 12:26 pm

@Bree: I like LWW better as an adaptation, but I think you're right that PC is more emotionally evocative. I find PC a pretty sad film overall. There's the sadness over Cair Paravel falling into ruins and the old ways forgotten, the disastrous end of the Night Raid, Susan losing her faith in Narnia, and finally leaving Narnia at the end. I think the book ends on a much more joyful note whereas the movie is bittersweet. Yes, the Telmarines are still defeated in the movie and yes Peter and Susan are still barred from visiting Narnia again in the book, but I think the emphasis is different. When I finish the PC book I have a sense of hope that Aslan is on the move in our world too and one day all will be set right, but when I finish the PC movie my emotion is mostly nostalgia and sadness. Again, both elements are in both the book and the movie, but I find the emphasis is switched. The fact that the Romp was entirely cut out of the PC movie probably makes a big difference.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glumpuddle » Dec 04, 2016 7:53 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:When I finish the PC book I have a sense of hope that Aslan is on the move in our world too and one day all will be set right, but when I finish the PC movie my emotion is mostly nostalgia and sadness.

Well said. I think the PC movie did a good job with the sadness of the old days being gone and the longing for their return. But I didn't feel much joy when they finally did return.

Reepicheep775 wrote:The fact that the Romp was entirely cut out of the PC movie probably makes a big difference.

Huge difference. Without it, the climax feels like a strictly military victory. I know there's a big epic battle in the book, but the romp puts the emphasis on actually winning over the hearts of the Telmarine people, many of which were delighted that Old Narnia had returned. In the movie, all we get is that one scene where everyone is cheering them on their way into the castle. It's there... but it's the military success that gets all the emphasis.
Much like the end of LWW where Aslan does restore the statues, but they don't dwell on it long enough to have any emotional impact, so it's all about the battle.

Every time I re-watch PC, I have this thought about 30 minutes in: "Wait...why don't I love this?" Then, about an hour later, I think "Oh yeah... now I remember why."
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Previous