This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

EOne Tristar and Sony join Silver Chair

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: EOne Tristar and Sony join Silver Chair

Postby narnia fan 7 » Aug 10, 2016 11:50 am

johobbit wrote:Hear-hear, indeed, the anticipatory discussion is so much of the fun and excitement as we head forward on this Silver Chair adventure together!

I feel the same way johobbit when I saw the news I think half my excitement came from the thought of once again being part the anticipation and speculation leading up to a Narnia film,even though VDT turned out awful I have a lot of good memories of the anticipation leading up to it hopefully we get a good film this time around.

I am a little concerned that Sony is involved given their track record over the past couple years but since it's TriStar and their focus seems to be on more "filmmaker-driven literary films" that puts me more at ease,at this point I'm fairly optimistic about Silver Chair being something special.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Aug 10, 2016 1:07 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:Anyways... back to Narnia. Yay!!!! :D :D :D I just pray that all of the companies pooling their money together have a similar vision for the adaptation, unlike what we saw with VDT where it was so divisive.

That was my first thought after I calmed down and started thinking about it. We now have the C. S. Lewis Company, the Mark Gordon Company, Entertainment One, Sony, and TriStar involved in the production of The Silver Chair. That's a lot of people to please! Hopefully they can find a director with a vision that will unite the entire production and we won't get the compromising mish-mash that was VDT.

However, I remain cautiously optimistic about SC and I think it's cool that TriStar has a focus on literary adaptations. Between that choice and hiring David Magee as the script writer, it looks like the C. S. Lewis Company and the Mark Gordon Company are being selective in who they choose to work on SC.

And, hey, even if the film turns out to be a horrible film and adaptation, it will still mean several years worth of good times on NarniaWeb.

Further up and further in.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 10, 2016 5:40 pm

When I see this announcement I just want to squeal with happiness! As others have said, I just want to start the journey of anticipation again. I wasn't here for LWW or PC. I found Narniaweb while googling for info on VDT.
The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I'm still excited for a new film even if there's just one scene that gives me chills and makes me feel like I've been transported into Lewis's world.

I feel the same! If the plot is messed up and the characters are unrealistic, as long as there are shots of Narnian scenery and places with a beautiful score, I'll be excited.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 11, 2016 5:16 pm

This is the most exciting news so far after hearing that the script is in the works. Hopefully now they will be making a list of possible directors and get this thing going soon.

I don't think I'm feeling concerned about plot changes at the time, just knowing that we're so close to another Narnia movie is amazing enough.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 12, 2016 7:24 am

fantasia_kitty wrote:I can think of no other reason for them taking, literally, years to write this script.

Moratorium? It's not surprising that it has taken this long to get a pretty firm green light. And obviously there has been lots of negotiating blah blah going on.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Impending Doom » Aug 12, 2016 8:58 am

glumPuddle wrote:
fantasia_kitty wrote:I can think of no other reason for them taking, literally, years to write this script.

Moratorium? It's not surprising that it has taken this long to get a pretty firm green light. And obviousy there has been lots of negotiating blah blah going on.

As I understand it, the moratorium ends 7 years after the release of Dawn Treader which would bring us to December 2017. Talks started with Sony back in 2013 - they could of reached a deal in time to make the film for that date.

We know Douglas Gresham wanted to make The Silver Chair "independently" likely meaning he wanted to develop the script outside of Hollywood where studio heads wouldn't be able to push them around. TriStar will be giving input and the script will continue to develop as a director comes on board but nothing too drastic.

I'm of the opinion that they've made this announcement now that Mark, Doug, and David are all confident in the script they have not because the moratorium simply allows them to.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 12, 2016 11:34 am

Impending Doom wrote:I'm of the opinion that they've made this announcement now that Mark, Doug, and David are all confident in the script they have not because the moratorium simply allows them to.

Those are good points. It would seem that if the moratorium was the primary force influencing the production of SC, we'd have seen press releases like these long before now and we'd be on a fast track for a December 2017 release. (I'm not exactly an expert on film production, but such a release date seems very unlikely to me at this point.)

As it stands, everyone involved seems to be taking their time somewhat independent of the moratorium at this point, and probably for good reason. These companies surely want the Narnia franchise to be a profitable, multi-picture enterprise and if that's going to happen, they're going to need to recapture the imagination of the movie-going public. They'll need to produce a quality film to do that.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Aug 13, 2016 4:16 am

MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 13, 2016 10:40 am

^You fired up the old channel! :D Wow, I was not expecting a nostalgia attack so early on a Saturday. That was awesome. :))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 17, 2016 7:56 am

Impending Doom wrote:I'm of the opinion that they've made this announcement now that Mark, Doug, and David are all confident in the script they have not because the moratorium simply allows them to.

I hope you're right. Guess I'm still feeling a bit cynical, but there are some encouraging signs. I like that it seems like they spent a lot of time developing the script before getting financing. Hopefully that will keep the number of cooks in the kitchen under control. I think that was one of the things that killed VDT. Way too many opinions flying around and not a clear enough single vision.

I've been saying for the past couple years that we should expect more screenwriters... but I would love to be proven wrong. If Magee ended up getting solo credit, I think that would be a VERY encouraging sign.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 18, 2016 8:50 pm

Wasn't he the sole scriptwriter for Finding Neverland and Life of Pi? (That's what Google seems to indicate.) Perhaps he prefers to work on projects where he is given full control (can't say I blame him), or does such a solid job that additional help/adjustments aren't needed. I certainly hope that he is the only script writer for SC; the vision for the film will probably have a lot more clarity if that's the case.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous