This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

EOne Tristar and Sony join Silver Chair

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

EOne Tristar and Sony join Silver Chair

Postby narnia fan 7 » Aug 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I just saw this on Twitter looks like Sony,EOne and Tristar Pictures are joining the Mark Gordon Company and The C.S. Lewis Company to make The Silver Chair here's the link

Still no release date but I'm excited that the film look's to be moving forward I guess the next step is finding a director.

What does everyone else think?
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: EOne Tristar and Sony join Silver Chair

Postby Impending Doom » Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm

I knew Sony would eventually get involved ever since those leaked emails from a few years back. I'm guessing this deal has been in place for a while now but they're now in a place where they're ready to really start moving forward.

What really excites me is what TriStar Pictures company's mission is - to be a home for filmmaker-driven literary films and what The Silver Chair represents for them. Going in with that mentality is special.

Surrounding themselves with people who care about the property is very important and will help tremendously. The Silver Chair could be really special
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Aug 09, 2016 1:33 pm

I wasn't so confident about Sony as there was more info that wasn't included in the leaked emails, but I'm SO SO happy that it seems to be working out!

I have to admit I had kind of given up on news as DG had mentioned in past interviews that they were hoping for a Dec 2017 release, and the time for production to begin to make that date has come and gone (imho). So I'm very happy to hear that it hasn't gone by the wayside.
Ironically, I did have a little gleam of hope recently. I remember over 10 years ago, I heard about 'The Elfstones of Shannara' being purchased by some movie company. (If you've never heard of the Shannara series, the first book is a blatant ripoff of LotR, but the sequels aren't too shabby.) It just released on MTV, 10 years later as a TV series. I think this is the first time I have been aware of a series being purchased and then sitting on the backburner for several years. So yeah, gave me great hope for Narnia as that series is so much more popular.

Anyways... back to Narnia. Yay!!!! :D :D :D I just pray that all of the companies pooling their money together have a similar vision for the adaptation, unlike what we saw with VDT where it was so divisive.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby johobbit » Aug 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Ditto, ditto, oh my, this is exciting news! :D It seems we have been waiting on this for years. And, well, it has been years. :P

Impending Doom wrote:What really excites me is what TriStar Pictures company's mission is - to be a home for filmmaker-driven literary films and what The Silver Chair represents for them. Going in with that mentality is special.

That is very good to hear!!!

I have nothing more to add except ... hurrah and hurrah! The anticipation is palpable! \:D/ And, my only true wish is that they keep Lewis' story intact, not adding stupid stuff or altering characters, for this only frustrates and greatly disappoints and irritates true Narnia fans, dishonouring the marvelous original tale (which just may be my favourite Narnia chronicle—for a number of reasons, but largely because of Puddleglum ;;)). In other words, a very faithful adaptation! Pretty please?!
johobbit

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Aug 09, 2016 5:02 pm

I just went to check news, and of course I saw this and just had to post.

I honestly can't believe that this is actually happening at this point. I remember a couple springs back when I would check every day for some form of update. Now something is happening.

As long as the adaptation is faithful, I will be very happy. It does not need a big blockbuster budget or anything.

Now to find space to re-read the books. :D
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 09, 2016 5:17 pm

I remember those long, news-less days following VDT as well, Louloudi! It's been such a long wait, but it sounds like we're finally getting somewhere! :D

It's really pleasing to hear the president of TriStar Productions say that reading CoN was one of the formative experiences of her childhood. Here's to hoping that will translate into a lot of faithfulness to the source material! It's also good to hear her talk about filmmaker-driven films, since I feel like investors getting overly involved in previous films may have hurt the quality of storytelling quite a bit.

Crossing my fingers that this is the start of something awesome. :D
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Aug 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Wow, I haven't logged in for 2 1/2 years. How time flies.

Cool to finally hear something more or less definitive about the production! Spent all my college years waiting for something like this. I suspect I'll have three children by the time it actually hits theaters. ;))

It'll be really cool if we do indeed get one more modern Narnia film. I'm a bit concerned about the box office prospects, given that the gap between films has been so long, but I guess that's something to worry about later, haha.
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby narnian1 » Aug 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Extremely happy to see this finally moving forward. Hopefully news will keep flowing in the next couple of months. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glumpuddle » Aug 09, 2016 7:09 pm

I'd say this makes the movie about 90% confirmed. Probably release within the next 4 years, I'd say.

Still forming an opinion about this news. Which shows how much I have changed since the LWW days. ;))

Officially, I only want to see another Narnia movie if it's going to be quality. And I suspect this production is lacking genuine inspiration. Meaning: They decided to make the movie before knowing if they had a good idea for the movie. That doesn't mean it can't be great. But it's a handicap.

But... off the record... I love these books, and following the production of an adaptation provides so many great excuses to analyze them to death. I've enjoyed my time here on NarniaWeb so much that, good or bad, it's hard not to be excited that I'll be doing it a 4th time!
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby David West » Aug 09, 2016 7:34 pm

glumPuddle wrote:Officially, I only want to see another Narnia movie if it's going to be quality. And I suspect this production is lacking genuine inspiration. Meaning: They decided to make the movie before knowing if they had a good idea for the movie. That doesn't mean it can't be great. But it's a handicap.

I don't know... David Magee is a very solid screenwriter with a great track record when it comes to book adaptations, and Douglas Gresham seems pretty adamant that he wants future Narnia films to be well-done, faithful adaptations. I think they could be really good, I just hope they go with a more auteurist director instead of a simple journeyman like Adamson and Apted were.
Click here to watch the trailer!

The Pilgrim's Progress
A Feature Film by David Kirk West
Watch it FREE August 25th at PilgrimsProgressFilm.com!
David West
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fantasia » Aug 09, 2016 7:37 pm

glumPuddle wrote:Officially, I only want to see another Narnia movie if it's going to be quality. And I suspect this production is lacking genuine inspiration. Meaning: They decided to make the movie before knowing if they had a good idea for the movie. That doesn't mean it can't be great. But it's a handicap.

I must politely disagree. I can think of no other reason for them taking, literally, years to write this script. And DG seems genuinely excited, which he was not at all for VDT. So I think we'll see something at least at PC level of quality.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 09, 2016 9:08 pm

While I'm trying to manage my expectations, I'm feeling pretty hopeful as well. I remember saying way back when that one silver lining in the moratorium was that they'd literally have years to write and perfect the script. Magee is talented and it seems like he really loves the story and sought to do it justice. I hope it's a very good script and that it attracts a creative and inspired director instead of someone who thinks that it's "just another Narnia film for kids".

Like gP, though, I'm going to enjoy the process of watching this film come together regardless of what the final product is like. Somehow I just never get tired of these stories... there's always something new to discover when you travel back to Narnia. It's going to be fun speculating with you all. :D And while I reserve the right to criticize and complain if the movie is a disappointment, I'm still excited for a new film even if there's just one scene that gives me chills and makes me feel like I've been transported into Lewis's world. The first twenty minutes of LWW give me that feeling... I'm hoping that at least part of SC will do the same. :ymdaydream:
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Bother Eustace » Aug 09, 2016 9:13 pm

So great to see news, but... I'm just hoping and praying that this film will be worth the wait.

One thing about this that makes me really really happy is that my little sister, who is a huge Narnia fan thanks to the influence of a really great role model that she has in her life ( ;) ), will get to follow this movie's production and release with avid anticipation the way I did for the last three. She was barely two years old when LWW came out; I was just finishing middle school, and crazy about all things Narnia. Now she's twelve and almost as big of a Narnia fan as I was; I'm finishing law school, and getting all nostalgic thinking about the old days. :) Can't wait to share this with her. I hope they start production soon.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Aug 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Sony seems to have been releasing the bulk of faith-based films recently. Perhaps this means that they'll be more willing to explore the spiritual aspects of The Silver Chair and the forthcoming stories.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby David West » Aug 09, 2016 9:45 pm

MinotaurforAslan wrote:It'll be really cool if we do indeed get one more modern Narnia film. I'm a bit concerned about the box office prospects, given that the gap between films has been so long, but I guess that's something to worry about later, haha.

I'm pretty confident that we'll get all four of the books as films over the next decade or so. If they do the smart thing and cut the budget significantly for The Silver Chair, I think that it will almost certainly be successful enough to relaunch the series and carry it through to the The Last Battle. With a budget of $50 to $100 million instead of $150 million plus, it would be an almost guaranteed success.

VDT was TERRIBLE and it still managed to bring in almost $420 million, so I think that that's about your low-bar for any well-marketed Narnia film. Making it good should only result in higher box-office receipts, and lets not forget the exponential growth that the Chinese box office has seen over the last few years. In 2011 (VDT hit China in January 2011), the Chinese box office did $2.06Bn. Last year, it did $6.78Bn, and it's projected to surpass the North American Box Office (which did $11Bn in 2015) by the end of next year. That's insane, and it HAS to have played a role in getting this film off the ground. Fantasy films tend to do quite well overseas, that's what saved VDT from bombing.
Click here to watch the trailer!

The Pilgrim's Progress
A Feature Film by David Kirk West
Watch it FREE August 25th at PilgrimsProgressFilm.com!
David West
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby johobbit » Aug 10, 2016 9:38 am

Rose wrote:It's going to be fun speculating with you all. :D

Hear-hear, indeed, the anticipatory discussion is so much of the fun and excitement as we head forward on this Silver Chair adventure together!

I'm still excited for a new film even if there's just one scene that gives me chills and makes me feel like I've been transported into Lewis's world. The first twenty minutes of LWW give me that feeling... I'm hoping that at least part of SC will do the same. :ymdaydream:

Ditto to that first 20 minutes of LWW. I was weeping like a baby the first time I saw that beloved title came on the screen, along with Lewis' name *mega goosebumps* ;)) along with the swelling music. :x

Bother Eustace (btw, have I ever mentioned here what a great username you have?!), that is so very cool about your sister now experiencing the anticipation of this film as she enters her teen years. Is she a member here on the forum? We'd love to have her! (And ... all the best with law school, wow!)
johobbit

Next